“My Tiny Slice of Paradise”
Review of Cocos Cabanas

Cocos Cabanas
Ranked #112 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
MINNESOTA
“My Tiny Slice of Paradise”
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Once again I find myself here dreaming about another trip to Coco's - I have been there so many times I have lost count. Yep, I love it. I love absolutely everything about it. It is where my soul wants to go when it comes time to plan a vacation. Sometimes we even go twice in a year. There is nowhere else exactly like it. I have written many reviews and they are all true. There is a tug that I get whenever I think about the place, the family that owns it, the food, the wine, the laughter, the funny bird noises, the palms swaying, the tiny little pool shimmering in the sun, and so on.... There is too much to tell and words can't make up what you feel when you are there. All I can say is go.... and go with someone you love. You will come away loving them more than you did before your trip. Leave a seashell on your patio so I know you were there. 88 days and counting.....

3 Thank KARI3230

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 November 2010

My husband and I felt like we were staying at the beautiful home of good friends: friends who give you plenty of privacy, but also who give the very best of themselves to their guests. The couple who own and run this place are true gems! From the moment we arrived, they made us feel right at home in every way. The food they cook is excellent, as are their potent cocktails! The beach is a few steps away and is totally uncrowded, plus there is a good restaurant (not affiliated with Coco's) on the beach. It is a totally relaxing experience to stay here, with the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in! It's a short ride to Playa Del Carmen, but away from all the crowds there. In a word: Paradise!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Efrances801
victoria, bc
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Cocos Cabanas is a very small (5 cabanas) resort-family sort of feel, rather than resort feel. They are in the process of rebuilding the road now, so I can't give directions-other than to say I hope they signpost it, because it was next to impossible to find! Coming from Cancun, you turn at the lights by the Coca Coal/Cristal plant and follow the signs. There is building going on all around, and the beach is no longer remote-it's full of development. But still way quieter than Playa.
The cabanas are nice-comfortable beds, great air conditioning (they don't all have a/c). There is no door between the room and the bathroom, though there are walls-not a lot of privacy, if that's a concern. The palapa roofs are nice, and tile floors are cool on the feet :) There is wi-fi, but only in the restaurant/bar area. Pool is nice to cool off in, and perfect for kids.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bcvic
Ohio
Reviewed 15 September 2010

My husband and I honeymooned at Coco's Cabanas after reading some great reviews on Trip Advisor. We weren't let down! We were a little worried as we traveled to Coco's. You have to go back a very long, bumpy dirt road, but in the end we came out right by the beach and the best little resort in Playa. Helmut and Sylvia and their family make you feel right at home. Their cabanas are very nice and comfortable and the rest of Coco's is a haven for relaxation. Even though Coco's isn't right on the beach the walk to the beach is very short (about 1 minute) so we never minded. The restaurant was amazing and we ate there every night of our trip. Try the lobster pizza and the fresh fish fillet! I highly recommend Coco's, my husband and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monica4080
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I confess we stayed a couple doors down but heard such great things about Coco's Cabanas that we had to go to the restaurant. Helmut and Sylvia own the place with only 5 rooms. The restaurant is nearly impossible to find. Going North from The Tides resort take the first left after you are past The Tides. You go between a couple buildings and are certain you are in the wrong place. After about 100 yards you see a sign and the restaurant. The food there is amazing. We had salmon pizza cooked in a wood fired oven and a great fish filet. This is a personal restaurant since the only people working there are Helmut and Sylvia. I counted 16 chairs but the most people we saw there in 4 trips was 5. Yes we went 4 times in a week.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank tlemcke
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 25 February 2010

10 years ago while walking on the beach we literally stumbled onto CoCo's Cabanas, met Helmut and his wife and their brand new baby in the pool. The cabanas were new then and we spent a couple of wonderful nights. Over the years we've wondered if the cabanas had survived the massive build up along the Riviera Maya and were happy to see a sign just north of Playa Del Carmen. We were between condo stops and decided to drive in and take a look. Absolutely charming!! Helmut met us like old friends. Rosie is as vivacious as ever and they now have two sons. Some changes: A wood fired pizza oven has been added - absolutely fantastic. Continental breakfast included in the morning with warm bread right out of that oven. And, if it is possible Helmut is an even greater chef than he was 10 years ago! If you are looking for a quiet place to relax in a lush tropical beach setting with great food and wonderful people this is your place. If you have no sense of adventure, prefer all inclusive, stay home and go to the Hilton for a week. j

PDX
Reviewed 5 February 2010

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Coco's Cabanas and had a good experience overall. The cabanas stand out in an area that has been taken over by mega resorts and condos. The rooms are clean and adequate for the price. We always had hot water. The food is outstanding, but prices are a little higher than I like to pay for every meal, snack and beverage. Drinking water is not provided, so buying bottles of water got old fast. Also the restaurant/bar close at 9pm. This is inconvenient if you are the kind of person that enjoys night time drinks, as there are no refrigerators or ice available.

The beach is very nice. It is definitely not as remote as I thought it would be. There are numerous resorts sharing this stretch of beach, but it does remain pretty quiet, no vendors. It costs just over $10 to take taxis to and from town, and the winding entrance can be difficult for some drivers to navigate, especially in the dark. We rented a car for a day and had an awesome time exploring Coba and Akumal. I would definitely recommend renting a car for anyone that wants to stay here for more than a few days, see the area and be able to pick up things (i.e. water and bug spray) at the store.

Do bring bug repellant. Jungle+ evening rain= Lots of mosquito bites.

Try the gorganzola and bacon pizza as well as the coconut ice cream with kalhua- you won't be sorry.

2 Thank themalia