“The best place in Playa del Carmen”
Review of Hotel Cielo

Hotel Cielo
Ranked #22 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Seattle, Washington
“The best place in Playa del Carmen”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

A big thank you to the Steve and the staff at hotel cielo for making my stay a truely amazing and memorable one. Clean and comfortable rooms with a smile around every corner, after only a few days there I felt like part of the "familia". Centrally located only a few minutes to the beach and all sorts of shopping made Hotel Cielo the perfect place to stay for a few nights or a long week. The front desk was full of suggestions and helpful hints as to the best places to go or things to see. I know where I will be staying for all my future vacations in the Maya Riviera.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Thank you 60878Matt for your review. We are happy that you experienced a memorable time with us here at Hotel Cielo. And we are more then happy that you felt like family, this is exactly the feel we are creating here. Thank you for staying at Hotel Cielo & we too hope to see you sooner than later.
Steven Krisztin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Piermont, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Took a quick getaway over Memorial day weekend. Once again, stayed at Hotel Cielo right in the middle of where you want to be in Playa. Extremely affordable, very clean and comfortable. As in the past, the employees are very knowledgeable of the locale and offer great advise. The restaurant attached the the hotel, Carboncitos, has the most delicious and authentic Mexican food in the area. I will most definitely be back at Hotel Cielo, hopefully sooner than later.

Room Tip: Reserve early!
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Thank you solotravelerNY for taking the time to write your review & thank you for staying with Hotel Cielo again. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay, noticed our knowledge of the area & our willingness to steer you in the right direction. We know you are on vacation & we will do our best create a great vacation experience. Once again, thank you for staying with Hotel Cielo.
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 9 June 2011

great experience, really cool area.
The people there are real helpful and fun. The area is perfect to relax... (specially after having been out all night)

HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Gracias viagnehy for your review. We know you traveled a great distance for your vacation,so we at Hotel Cielo were Happy to accommodate you & maybe one day we will see you in Barcelona. Thank you for staying with Hotel Cielo.
New York
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Stayed at hotel Cielo on many occasions & was never dissapointed ! Always a warm greeting with lots of helpful recommendations. There is nothing fancy about this place but that's just the way I like it. It has a wonderful Boutiquey Mexican charm about it that I Love!
1 block from the beach and in the heart of town. I love how you can just pop in for quick bite or cocktail, do a wardrobe change and out the door to take it all in again:)
This place has never disappointed in any way. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for beautiful simplicity, location & helpful staff ~_•

• Stayed May 2011
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Thank you wilbur68 for your review & continuing patronage, we really appreciate it. We are delighted that we were able to make your vacation enjoyable once again & we will do our best to continue to to so. Please be sure to check your e mail for our frequent guest promotion that we will be sending out in the future. Once again, thank you for staying with Hotel Cielo.
Springfield, VA
Reviewed 3 June 2011

I have gone to Playa del Carmen several times in the last few months as I have been in the market for a condo there. Have stayed in several hotels in the centro and close to the beach. Some of them were twice the price of El Cielo and not half as nice!

I found the hotel because I have eaten many times at Canrocitas, the wonderful and very reasonably priced restaurant next attached to the hotel (5 steps off of Avenida 5th, on Calle 4). Carboncitas is crazy good and I hate to say "cheap" as that can mean not do good, but this place ROCKS for the food and drink. At happy hour they have TWO tacos al carbon for 11 pesos. Do the math, that is two for a dollar. And they have the most awesome 55 peso huge margaritas ever. They bring you the best chips and multiple sauces for the tacos, including their famous pumpkin sauce, pico de galo, guacamole sauce, mmmm. When you stay at the hotel you get half priced breakfast here. Considering that all the other places I stayed give you a crappy free bfast of toast and coffee and juice, getting Carboncitas breakfasts for half price is a very good deal. Their omlets (esp. the chorizo ones) and fantastic. The special cinnamon french toast is yummy. I got one of those two and coffee (free refills) and a mango/pina/orange smothie for breakfast and was set until happy hour time every day.

Now for the hotel. I asked by email for a quiet room in back and one that is cool, as it is blazing this time of yr there. What did I get? For 55 dollars (and get this, the 4th night was free) I got a huge room w/two queen beds and enough room to store the bar stools and stereo I bought for my new condo in Playa, and still had enough room to dance around the room solo. The AC was fantastic, as opposed to the ones at the other hotels I stayed in which just did not cool the rooms enough.

Great TV reception, unlike two other hotels I stayed in. Several English stations and movie stations- I had something good to watch every night before drifting off to sleep after my nightly Carboncitas margarita.

The staff is very nice, very friendly. I met two of the owners and also Roberto at the front desk was particularly sweet, helping me haul up the stuff I bought for the condo. Housekeepers were good and trustworthy. I left my IPad and the new stereo and stuff in the room and nothing was touched. I tipped them nicely when I left.

Love this place. If my new condo can not handle everyone who comes to visit, I am recomending El Cielo to my visitors. For $165 I got 4 nights of bliss there. Oh and the rooftop is cool also. Only drawback is no pool, but with the caribbean one half block away, and AC that blasts like a fridge in the room (and celing fans), who cares. Oh also hot water, although it takes a few min. to get hot- don't give up, just wait a bit, it will get hot.

Watch out for other hotels in this price range in Playa. Some look good on internet but are skany or not so friendly once you get there. EL Cielo is the real deal.

Room Tip: Has ocean view rms, but bargains are the $55 rms.
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 4 June 2011
Thank you eileend10 for choosing Hotel Cielo & that you took the time to write your review. We are very pleased that you were so enthusiastic about your review & we really appreciate it. I really cant say much more, you said it all, and again , I thank you , sometimes I myself forget how much we have to offer. And just so you know, we do not allow dancing in the rooms, please do not let it happen again ....just kidding. We wish you well & hope you enjoy your new condo, please be sure to stop by and say hello. Again, thank you for staying at Hotel Cielo & thank you for the future recommendations.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2011

A couple of friends recommended Hotel Cielo to us & I am so happy we chose to stay with them. Clean rooms & It´s one of my peeves Comfortable,rooms were cool, unique design, owner says they will update but we loved it, I will definitely return to see if it could be better. Centrally located, 100 feet from the beautiful Caribbean Sea, many restaurants, good night life & very tourist friendly, scuba, ruins, culture. All of the above was great, but what was the most amazing, was the owner & the staff, incredibly attentive, they really care & show great concern to assure you are enjoying your self. They create a great vibe at Hotel Cielo, they really make you want to come back. Thank you, Steve, Roberto, Miguel, thank you all for making our vacation a wonderful experience.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 4 June 2011
Thank you beetlezb for your review. This is exactly what we strive for... These are the words we want to continually hear..... "Excellent Little Hotel" and we at Hotel Cielo will continue to work diligently to achieve this. I & I am sure yourselves as well, have been experiencing mediocre customer service & accepting it as good service, this is unacceptable. We´re bringing back excellent customer service & maybe we´ll even start a trend. Bettelezb, I would like to thank you for noticing our attentiveness, and I especially want to thank our staff for their undivided commitment. Thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we hope to see you in the future.
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We had an amazing time!!! The hotel has a wonderful rooftop to get away and watch the sunrise and sunset. The hotel is right off the main drag and so close to the beach. The staff was great and the rooms were clean and quiet with comfortable beds. A great value!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Thank you leach_jb for taking the time to write your review. We were delighted that you chose Hotel Cielo again for your vacation & that you had an amazing experience. It is so rewarding for us when we have repeat guests, it is then we know we are doing something right. Thank you for the kind words & will be sure to try our best to lure you back with our wonderful roof top sunset. Hope to see you on your next journey.
Owner/Manager