“The best kept secret in Playa del Carmen”
Review of Hotel Cielo

Hotel Cielo
Ranked #18 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I consider the Hotel Cielo and the restaurant Carboncito to be the ideal vacation spot. Previously, my family stayed in one of those 5 star 5 diamond resorts, twice. Boring. Disenchanted, we did research and found this great hotel and restaurant. A block from the beach, in the middle of the action. We ate in the 4diamonds at the resort. Carboncito is vastly superior in quality and taste of food, in service, and in ambiance. The rooms and balconies of the hotel are unique and an adventure to stay in. Spotlessly clean and well maintained. There is plenty of nightlife in p del c, but why bother when the street musicians and other entertainers are performing just under your balcony?And the people watching is unbelievable. On second thought, forget that I wrote this. A secret for me to enjoy

Stayed: April 2014
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you Gordon for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that you enjoyed your Stay with Hotel Cielo & Carboncitos

And this is just what we strive for, to be a great little hotel & restaurant herein Playa, we are glad you feel the same

Gordon, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I just returned from spending 4 days at Hotel Cielo. Would not hesitate for a minute to return. Great location (1 block from the beach), 1/2 block from 5th avenue (main thoroughfare in town with endless shops and restaurants), and 2-3 blocks from the bus station. The hotel is charming, the staff are super friendly and helpful, and you get 50% off breakfast at the adjacent restaurant, which has awesome food. This hotel is very good value for the money and I feel fortunate that I chanced upon it. The only slight drawback, and I mean slight, is that the rooms are not completely sound proof. You can hear people coming in, walking up the stairs to their rooms, etc. But it really did not adversely affect the quality of my stay at all. Book with confidence, and enjoy!

Room Tip: I stayed in room #16. It was the only room left for a solo traveler. Super nice, clean, comfy room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you Craig for taking the time to write your review

Well this is just what we strive for, to be a great little hotel

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that we were able to help create a great vacation experience for you.

Thank you for mentioning our restaurant Carboncitos which lately has been becoming quite the Buzz

Craig, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This was our first time in Playa and we picked hotel Cielo after reading and considering all the reviews online. Let me mention that we were not looking for an all-inclusive resort: we were looking to experience more authentic, local side of Playa. Hotel Cielo made that choice easy: the rooms have comfortable beds, traditional Mexican decor and all the basic amenities that one needs to stay comfy after a day at the beach (which is only a 2-minute walk from the hotel).
The rooms are nice, but what made it even more special was the friendliness and helpful advice of the hotel's personnel: Edgar and Javier had all the answers to our 100+ questions each day and they did it with a friendly smile every time.
An added bonus was this 50% discount to the adjacent restaurant "Carboncitos" for breakfast and 10% discount for lunch and dinner. That place was AMAZING!!! A must try there: Huevos motuleños and "agua de piña" (pineapple juice - made fresh every time). Please read additional review from us for Carboncitos on Tripadvisor as well.
Hotel Cielo has definitely earned our trust and loyalty and we not only recommend it to people but also would love to return to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank -DiCeAl-

Thank you Diceal for taking the time to write your review

We are delighted that you had a chance to experience the warmth & charm. of Hotel Cielo

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success, we couldn't do it with out them

Diceal , we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I started out planning on staying at an all-inclusive resort for my vacation, but after looking at the price I knew there had to be a better option. While searching extensively online I found Hotel Cielo. Not only did it have good reviews, but the price was VERY affordable, especially compared to the nearby resorts. When I arrived the hotel staff was extremely courteous and even insisted on helping me with my luggage. The hotel was very clean and well kept, and the staff was more than happy to help find anything I was looking for. The food at the hotel restaurant was also very good! To top everything else off, I accidentally left my jacket hanging in the closet when I checked out and the hotel not only found it, but sent it back to me in the US! Thanks to Hotel Cielo for not only helping make my vacation fantastic, but helping to keep it that way even after I left.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I went here with 4 of my girlfriends for our spring break and we had an amazing time! The hotel is in a great location and our room had a balcony with a view of the ocean. Everyone who works here is extremely nice and welcoming. The restaurant attached to the hotel is great - awesome breakfast food and margaritas for happy hour! There are also water coolers on each floor which was extremely helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

There were three of us, and I was trying to save money by booking a room w two beds- I was hoping one of us could sleep on the floor or something. To our huge surprise, the manager gave us the room with 3 beds, without charging us extra. That was very very kind of the hotel.

I also love that the hotel is close to everything. The room are always clean, and I appreciated free drinking water. Thanks so much Hotel Cielo. I'll definitely return.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was my wife's and I third trip to Playa and on both previous trips we stayed at a resort, preferably the Fairmont. We were a little reluctant about staying outside of a resort, just for the sole reason of the accommodations. So, we figured lets give hotel Cielo a shot after a recommendation from a friend. Well, let me say we did not know what we were missing staying at the resort! We are customers of Cielo for life! From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out our experience at Cielo was phenomenal! Cielo has charm like no other. From the rooms being mopped on a daily basis all the way up to the owner Steve, who is a gentleman like no other. I have never had a manager, let alone the owner from any hotel give us the level of attention that Steve gave us. From telling us where to go and how to get there, to the round of drinks that he bought for us at Carbonitas, which is part of the hotel. Thanks Steve! Speaking of Carbonitas, we ended up eating there just about everyday, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Carbonitas is spot on, but that's another review in itself. If you want to stay at a hotel that is where the action is, this is it. Step out the front of the hotel and your in the middle of the action, throw a stone and you will hit the beach. Best part about it is, come 10pm and it dies down considerably, by midnight you can here the waves from the beach. In a nutshell, we loved it and we will be heading back there with our daughter in the very near future. Adios!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple