“Don't go!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Hod Hasharon, Israel
“Don't go!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Bumpy un even to soft bed, we asked in the reception if the area is quite and they said yes. They were not up front about the construction next building and there was a Lotttt of noise. We said it's our honey moon and the quite is important to us and as it's turned up they just lie to us. The pressure water in the shower was bad.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sivan R
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Hi Sivan , my name is Steven, I am one of the owners here at Carboncitos / Hotel Cielo & I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Although your review is not one we like, we try to learn & improve from every review

I would like to take a moment to address your comments for we do care & we are very concerned

About the construction, yes apparently there was some repairs going on next door & we had not known they we doing so, in fact, I am at the hotel every day & I hadn't even noticed nor did I hear anything but we are sorry you were bothered.

I am very protective over or guests comfort & I can assure you if we knew it was going on & disturbing our guests, we would have put a stop to this, the hotel association also works very well & they are very strict in the hotel zone

In addition, the hotel was full for Samana Santa & there have been no other complaints which is odd & like I said above , if there were, we would of taken action

I am not sure what transpired that you felt our staff lied but this is not true, our staff is very honorable & more than able to handle situations like this & they are very well trained...quite frankly there is no reason to lie

As for the beds I cant imagine how you thought they were lumpy & un even, all of our mattresses are less than a year & 1/2 old, 10 of them are less than 3 months old & they are of an expensive quality, not you basic $200 - $400 mattress.

We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy our mattresses as so many of our past guests have & so many have even written about our mattresses in their reviews.

I would also like to know if & who you spoke with about what you were experiencing, I would really appreciate your feed back on this.

We really are a great little hotel, do we make mistakes , of course, but just read our reviews, people love us, 35% are repeats, 30% are locals.....we just want every one to leave with their expectations met or exceeded, this is our goal & we truly care, our apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us but I hope you can find in your heart to reconsider your review

Sivan, we know there are many Hotels in Playa, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo

Steven Krisztin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We have wbeen to the playa area many times but never were able to experience PLaya Del Carmen, For more than just one day. Tired of All Inclusive hotels too, we decided to try something small and authentic Mexico. Hotel Cielo filled that need. Charming, great location, vey friendly staff, loved Miguel. We had room 21 with King sized comfortable bed, balcony with view of ocean. So convenient to walk to restaurants, shopping on 5th avenue and NOT having to get up at 6 am to put a towel on a chair on the beach. Restaurant Carboncito is very good also. If you HAVE to have LUXURY this would not be your place, BUT if you love the REAL Mexico, give this place a try.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have No view but may be quieter. Loved room 21 - Air conditioning was great and f...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grannyofthree
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you Granny of three for taking the time to write your review

We are delighted that you had a chance to experience our warmth & charm

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success & we couldn't do it with out them

We really appreciate the kind words & thank you for the recommendations

Granny of three, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Had never been to México, but knew I didn't want to stay at a "resort" with all the fancy things because you miss out on the culture. This hotel was by far, the best decision. Stayed with my sister for my birthday celebration. The staff in the front desk, Miguel and Josian, were just the kindest most sweetest people you'll ever meet. Not only were they nice, but they also had all the answers to our "tourist" questions as well as the best recommendations. They made us feel like family. The room was full of Mexican culture and gave you that sense of home feeling. Its location is great. Beach is a block away, restaurants everywhere, shops, boutiques.... And night life is just a few blocks down. I am already thinking of when I can go back! Hands down, I recommend Hotel Cielo!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you Evelyn for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that you had the best vacation ever

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success, Miguel & Yosshian we very Happy that you had mentioned them.

Evelyn, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I consider the Hotel Cielo and the restaurant Carboncito to be the ideal vacation spot. Previously, my family stayed in one of those 5 star 5 diamond resorts, twice. Boring. Disenchanted, we did research and found this great hotel and restaurant. A block from the beach, in the middle of the action. We ate in the 4diamonds at the resort. Carboncito is vastly superior in quality and taste of food, in service, and in ambiance. The rooms and balconies of the hotel are unique and an adventure to stay in. Spotlessly clean and well maintained. There is plenty of nightlife in p del c, but why bother when the street musicians and other entertainers are performing just under your balcony?And the people watching is unbelievable. On second thought, forget that I wrote this. A secret for me to enjoy

Stayed April 2014
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you Gordon for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that you enjoyed your Stay with Hotel Cielo & Carboncitos

And this is just what we strive for, to be a great little hotel & restaurant herein Playa, we are glad you feel the same

Gordon, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I just returned from spending 4 days at Hotel Cielo. Would not hesitate for a minute to return. Great location (1 block from the beach), 1/2 block from 5th avenue (main thoroughfare in town with endless shops and restaurants), and 2-3 blocks from the bus station. The hotel is charming, the staff are super friendly and helpful, and you get 50% off breakfast at the adjacent restaurant, which has awesome food. This hotel is very good value for the money and I feel fortunate that I chanced upon it. The only slight drawback, and I mean slight, is that the rooms are not completely sound proof. You can hear people coming in, walking up the stairs to their rooms, etc. But it really did not adversely affect the quality of my stay at all. Book with confidence, and enjoy!

Room Tip: I stayed in room #16. It was the only room left for a solo traveler. Super nice, clean, comfy room...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you Craig for taking the time to write your review

Well this is just what we strive for, to be a great little hotel

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that we were able to help create a great vacation experience for you.

Thank you for mentioning our restaurant Carboncitos which lately has been becoming quite the Buzz

Craig, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

This was our first time in Playa and we picked hotel Cielo after reading and considering all the reviews online. Let me mention that we were not looking for an all-inclusive resort: we were looking to experience more authentic, local side of Playa. Hotel Cielo made that choice easy: the rooms have comfortable beds, traditional Mexican decor and all the basic amenities that one needs to stay comfy after a day at the beach (which is only a 2-minute walk from the hotel).
The rooms are nice, but what made it even more special was the friendliness and helpful advice of the hotel's personnel: Edgar and Javier had all the answers to our 100+ questions each day and they did it with a friendly smile every time.
An added bonus was this 50% discount to the adjacent restaurant "Carboncitos" for breakfast and 10% discount for lunch and dinner. That place was AMAZING!!! A must try there: Huevos motuleños and "agua de piña" (pineapple juice - made fresh every time). Please read additional review from us for Carboncitos on Tripadvisor as well.
Hotel Cielo has definitely earned our trust and loyalty and we not only recommend it to people but also would love to return to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank -DiCeAl-
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you Diceal for taking the time to write your review

We are delighted that you had a chance to experience the warmth & charm. of Hotel Cielo

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success, we couldn't do it with out them

Diceal , we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
Ulsan, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I started out planning on staying at an all-inclusive resort for my vacation, but after looking at the price I knew there had to be a better option. While searching extensively online I found Hotel Cielo. Not only did it have good reviews, but the price was VERY affordable, especially compared to the nearby resorts. When I arrived the hotel staff was extremely courteous and even insisted on helping me with my luggage. The hotel was very clean and well kept, and the staff was more than happy to help find anything I was looking for. The food at the hotel restaurant was also very good! To top everything else off, I accidentally left my jacket hanging in the closet when I checked out and the hotel not only found it, but sent it back to me in the US! Thanks to Hotel Cielo for not only helping make my vacation fantastic, but helping to keep it that way even after I left.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo