“"Like a second home!"”
Review of Hotel Cielo

Hotel Cielo
Ranked #10 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was my second time at Cielo, and it was every bit as wonderful as the first time! This time I went alone to try to find long term condo rentals. All the staff are still wonderful people especially Miguel and owner Steve. They were both so helpful on my Quest. I simply cannot say enough to express my gratitude!! You guys are THE BEST!!!! I had a different room than last time, it was also very charming! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone!!

Room Tip: I stayed in room #13. quieter room and awesome a/c!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you Laurie for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that we were able to help create a great vacation experience for you.

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success.

It really means a lot to us when a guests like your self return, it lets us know that we are definitely headed in the right direction.

And no worries about helping you out.... it was our pleasure, we are just glad we were able to assist

Laurie , we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I researched trip advisor for a hotel in Playa Del Carmen and came up with this little gem of a hotel which in my opinion deserves its high ranking.
If you arrive by taxi from Cancun the road the hotel is situated on is blocked off to traffic and you will have to travel the last 100 meters by foot.
We stayed for 3 nights and had a small double bedroom. We were lucky enough to have a selection of rooms and choose number 13 (not unlucky). This was on the first floor and to the rear of the hotel. I would imagine the front of the hotel could be quite noisy as the hotel is situated just off one of the main tourist streets. The top floor rooms could also be a good choice. For food there is a very good restaurant directly beside reception that is well worth a visit and if you mention your staying in the hotel they also provide a discount.
The reception staff spoke fluent English and were only too happy to assist with any enquiries.
We received a 20% discount for paying in cash, so try not to use your credit card.
If you're after a large hotel with lots of amenities then this is not for you.
If you want an economical, small, clean, well run hotel in the tourist centre then you couldn't choose much better than Hotel Cielo.

Room Tip: Read the review
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you Nigel for taking the time to write your review

We see that you traveled a great distance & we are delighted that we were able to add to your vacation experience

Thank you for sharing your experience for future travelers

Nigel, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My 4 friends and I had a an amazing time in Playa for our senior year of college spring break. We didn't want a typical spring break, but a place to relax, eat good food, be close to the beach, and not have to pay too much! Hotel Cielo fit everything we were looking for. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful! We stayed in one room with 5 people and our own bathroom, which was small, but it worked for us, and had lots of windows where we got nice cool breezes and woke up to the natural light! We also had a balcony overlooking the street, the beach, and were right above the restaurant Carboncitos.

Carboncitos had great deals for drinks and food if you stay at Hotel Cielo, and we didn't really get sick of the food there. Because Playa isn't very big, we wanted to walk to some other local (even better priced) places to eat, and the hotel staff had great recommendations.

The WATER jug dispensers were an AMAZING surprise at Cielo. When it's that hot, you need to keep drinking water, but that can also get pricey. We all brought our own reusable water bottles (or you can just buy a disposable one when you get there) and refilled several times throughout the day!

Overall, this was an excellent stay that I think a variety of people would be able to enjoy, not just college kids on a low budget. It was so beautiful, especially for the price we paid! I would definitely go back and recommend this to anyone!

Room Tip: Ask for one along the street/with a balcony/ocean view!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you Hannah for taking the time to write your review

We are just happy that you and your friends enjoyed your selves

Hannah , we know there are many hotels / restaurants in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo / Carboncitos & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Perfect spot for a stay in Playa del Carmen. We have two kids and we stayed in the family room. Great balcony over looking the street. A bit off the main drag which is nice, but close and convenient to everything! The beds are super comfortable, the location is great and the food was delicious next door. Highly recommend this spot! The owner went well beyond the call of duty to lend us a hand when our car battery went dead!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you SMGQ for taking the time to write your review

Well, we too like to think Cielo is a great hotel ....and this is what we strive for.

Thank you for the kind words, we are delighted that you had a chance to experience our warmth & charm

We really appreciate the recommendations

SMGQ, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Bumpy un even to soft bed, we asked in the reception if the area is quite and they said yes. They were not up front about the construction next building and there was a Lotttt of noise. We said it's our honey moon and the quite is important to us and as it's turned up they just lie to us. The pressure water in the shower was bad.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sivan R
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Hi Sivan , my name is Steven, I am one of the owners here at Carboncitos / Hotel Cielo & I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Although your review is not one we like, we try to learn & improve from every review

I would like to take a moment to address your comments for we do care & we are very concerned

About the construction, yes apparently there was some repairs going on next door & we had not known they we doing so, in fact, I am at the hotel every day & I hadn't even noticed nor did I hear anything but we are sorry you were bothered.

I am very protective over or guests comfort & I can assure you if we knew it was going on & disturbing our guests, we would have put a stop to this, the hotel association also works very well & they are very strict in the hotel zone

In addition, the hotel was full for Samana Santa & there have been no other complaints which is odd & like I said above , if there were, we would of taken action

I am not sure what transpired that you felt our staff lied but this is not true, our staff is very honorable & more than able to handle situations like this & they are very well trained...quite frankly there is no reason to lie

As for the beds I cant imagine how you thought they were lumpy & un even, all of our mattresses are less than a year & 1/2 old, 10 of them are less than 3 months old & they are of an expensive quality, not you basic $200 - $400 mattress.

We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy our mattresses as so many of our past guests have & so many have even written about our mattresses in their reviews.

I would also like to know if & who you spoke with about what you were experiencing, I would really appreciate your feed back on this.

We really are a great little hotel, do we make mistakes , of course, but just read our reviews, people love us, 35% are repeats, 30% are locals.....we just want every one to leave with their expectations met or exceeded, this is our goal & we truly care, our apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us but I hope you can find in your heart to reconsider your review

Sivan, we know there are many Hotels in Playa, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We have wbeen to the playa area many times but never were able to experience PLaya Del Carmen, For more than just one day. Tired of All Inclusive hotels too, we decided to try something small and authentic Mexico. Hotel Cielo filled that need. Charming, great location, vey friendly staff, loved Miguel. We had room 21 with King sized comfortable bed, balcony with view of ocean. So convenient to walk to restaurants, shopping on 5th avenue and NOT having to get up at 6 am to put a towel on a chair on the beach. Restaurant Carboncito is very good also. If you HAVE to have LUXURY this would not be your place, BUT if you love the REAL Mexico, give this place a try.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have No view but may be quieter. Loved room 21 - Air conditioning was great and f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grannyofthree
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you Granny of three for taking the time to write your review

We are delighted that you had a chance to experience our warmth & charm

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success & we couldn't do it with out them

We really appreciate the kind words & thank you for the recommendations

Granny of three, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Had never been to México, but knew I didn't want to stay at a "resort" with all the fancy things because you miss out on the culture. This hotel was by far, the best decision. Stayed with my sister for my birthday celebration. The staff in the front desk, Miguel and Josian, were just the kindest most sweetest people you'll ever meet. Not only were they nice, but they also had all the answers to our "tourist" questions as well as the best recommendations. They made us feel like family. The room was full of Mexican culture and gave you that sense of home feeling. Its location is great. Beach is a block away, restaurants everywhere, shops, boutiques.... And night life is just a few blocks down. I am already thinking of when I can go back! Hands down, I recommend Hotel Cielo!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you Evelyn for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that you had the best vacation ever

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success, Miguel & Yosshian we very Happy that you had mentioned them.

Evelyn, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera