“Bad service and stole my deposit!”
Review of Hotel Cielo

Hotel Cielo
Ranked #9 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 11 February 2011

The cielo staff screwed up and did not give us our $20 towel deposit that they owed us. Additionally, they held us hostage to it and we almost missed our bus in the morning hours. All this for $20.

DONT stay at this hotel. You will get robbed.

POOR service. It was such a pain. We have finally had to dispute charges on the credit card. Pay with your card so they cannot scam you.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ajbam
Cielo_Russell, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

We offer guests complimentary beach towels, which we secure a deposit for, thus insuring the towels are returned. This guest did not produce a deposit receipt and was in a hurry to catch his bus to the airport, so our receptionist told him to go catch the bus, and when we verified he'd given a deposit we'd send him a refund via electronic transfer.
I personally emailed this reviewer, letting him know we’d send him a refund... and then I forgot. It's not okay to forget, but it happens to the best of us. I’ve since sent this refund.
At Hotel Cielo, we’ll continue building our fine reputation through genuine service, outstanding value and a strong commitment to the local community.
Pinching towel deposits is not -or shall not be- in our game plan. Not as long as I’m running the place.
Russell Granger
Managing Partner
Hotel Cielo
Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Reviewed 1 February 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at Cielo on two separate occasions on our recent 10 night stay in the Yucatan. We did not make reservations in advance of arriving in Playa Del Carmen and after touring a few hotels around the area we selected Cielo. We stayed there for nights 2 and 3 of our trip before we moved on to our next town in our Mexican Tour. The hotel is very clean, has a pleasant staff and an amazing view of 5th Ave from their roof terrace. Additionally, on the last night of our trip, we were staying in nearby hotel which we had to leave at midnight after waking up to an ant problem. We left that hotel and walked over to Cielo at midnight, they had rooms available and we stayed there for the last night of our trip. We stayed in two seperate rooms in the hotel and both were very nice. The only criticism I can think of about this hotel is noise from the hallway can be heard in the rooms so we were woken up in the morning by children playing and people walking around outside.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We stayed at this hotel last week, I booked it because of all the good reviews on this sight. What a disappointment. We made reservations in the fall and requested a refrigerator in our room. The reply was that they would do their best. We booked for 2 weeks and checked out after 4 days.
The day time staff in both the hotel and restaurant were generally good ( Ana banana in the restaurant was fabulous.Roberto at the front desk was pleasant and the maids did a good job at keeping things clean.However the evening staff at the front desk (Andrea) and the night staff at the restaurant need to take some courses in customer relations. Andrea was so busy reading facebook or whatever that she responded very negatively to any request. No we don.t have extra pillows we are almost full, no other guests are using the refrigerator, no we don't have a key for the safe in that room etc. The head waiter in the restaurant at night was arrogant and rude and the food was nothing to write home about. The continental breakfast was a choice between some kind of egg dish or oatmeal. Gee I always thought that fruit & yogurt was inexpensive or cereal, colesteral city.
Our room was like being in a fishbowl, a glass insert in the door, lots of windows with curtains not big enough to cover the entire window. I changed my clothes in the very small bathroom. The hot water in the bathroom sink did not work. I discovered that the valve was shut off and when I turned it on the tap dripped at a steady
rate. So fix it already. Three pieces of furniture; 1 night table. bed & TV. no luggage rack, a monks cell is probably better furnished. I think that it is overpriced for what I would say was a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank vivomexico
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2011

My name is Steve, I am one of the owners and have now taken the management position as of March 1st 2011. I will be hands on to assure our guests have a great vacation experience & receive the highest level of attention. We at Hotel Cielo take pride in our customer service & we only employ people who really care. When we receive a review like this we communicate to our staff how important our guests are & how sometimes we need to be refreshed about customer relations. I was not here to solve this situation, nor can I accuse either side. I only know that from here on that I will personally see to it that all matters are handled in a professional manner & I will read every review as well. And we appreciate the comments, good & bad, the information is vauble to us & helps us become a better hotel, a hotel that really cares. As this reviewer points out the curtains.....he´s is right. We are in the process of installing new curtains through out the entire hotel, so I thank him for bringing that to our attention....I am listening. My apologies for your experience.

Reviewed 11 January 2011

My daughter and I just returned from a lovely, one week stay at the Cielo, right off the Avenida in Playa del Carmen. We paid an astonishingly low price for high season and a location right off the Avenida and one short block to the gorgeous beach. Miguel, Andrea and the other folks who work at the hotel and adjacent Carboncitas restaurant could not have been nicer. Such genuine, warm-hearted folks. Yes, the beds were a bit hard (but I got used to them after the first night), and the hot water and water pressure may leave something to be desired, but for the price, I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. Just don't go expecting a 5-star hotel at these prices, and you will be very pleasantly surprised. We were directed to very inexpensive modes of transport around the area, from the ADO bus directly from Cancun Airport to within 2 blocks of the hotel for $21/pp RT, to the collectivos that took us to Akumal (gorgeous snorkeling beach about 40 km away) for $5/pp RT. At night, the Avenida is right there with shopping, dining and entertainment at your doorstep. We felt very safe and secure here at all times. I highly recommend the Cielo.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Kjan77
Reviewed 4 January 2011

This hotel is ideally located between the beach and 5th street - at night it's quite calm but during day it's a very bustling area. My room was on the first floor - it was not as big but it was clean and the bed was OK. There was a big window with view on the corridor and at night I had to switch off the lights in the corridor to be able to sleep. The shower is very good (water pressure seems to be good in Playa del Carmen) but you need to wait 10 minutes to get hot water. Breakfast was included in the price - it was served in the restaurant next door. I had to wait a long time to get a simple French toast though and the other days I had breakfast in other places. When I checked out of the hotel, an error was made (they charged me one night too much). As I was in a hurry to get to the airport, I didn't notice right away so I contacted the hotel when I got back home. They refunded me by paypal for one night - I lost a little money anyway on Paypal administration costs, but I should've been more attentive during check-out in the first place.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank sofke8868b
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Hotel Cielo is located right off of 5th avenue, which can be good or bad. You are close to all the action, but it is very noisy at night. The restaurant across from the hotel plays very loud mariachi music some nights until 12:00. Make sure to bring ear plugs. Our room was very clean, but minimal. It did not have a dresser or even a chair, which would have been nice. The best thing about the hotel is the people who work there and the restaurant. Great food for excellent prices. Very authentic. All of their tacos were excellent and well as items from the grill. The pumpkin seed salsa is also great. Good happy hour!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2010

My wife and I stayed 8 days at Hotel Cielo in Playa Del Carmen beginning December 5, 2010. We upgraded to the balcony room with a king size bed and housekeeping kept the room very clean and changed the bedding daily. Plenty of hot shower water and they even provided a small refrigerator at no extra cost. The hotel staff was always available and very helpful with our numerous questions or requests. Russell the owner was also very nice and helpful. Breakfasts were included at the resturant Carboncitos next door and were fantastic. Their french toast is delicious and service very good. The chips, salsa platter were great. Hotel Cielo's location is superb with 5th Ave just around the corner, the bus terminal close by to travel to Tulum, Akumal, and Cancun Airport. The Playa beach is only a block away from the hotel. Our daughter and boy friend also stayed at Cielo but in another room and were equally impressed with location, cleanliness, and value. They are planning another trip to Hotel Cielo in March. My wife and I are both retired and hope to return to Hotel Cielo again soon. We certainly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Cielo have recommended it our friends and relatives. Madison, Wisconsin

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple