“Expensive hotel with poor service”
Review of Magic Blue Hotel

Magic Blue Hotel
Ranked #49 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 7 January 2010

I am glad to find people with similar experiences with me. i actually stayed in magic blue hotel recently, and i found that the hotel had really poor service. Basically after the shift changed, there were only one receptionist + one security guy. They both spoke little English and had no clue at all about the situations in the hotel. There was no manager in duty or anyone that you could call, even in the case of emergency.

Not to mention that the hotel was really dark and the lobby looked so uninviting. It was like being in the cheap motel. We stayed in the suite room at the third floor. There were no proper light to walk the steep stairs.

The room was dark, very minimal light. It was very difficult to look for your stuff in the suitcase. There was NO PHONE. So in case you need anything, you have to go all the way to the lobby.

The worst part from this entire hotel was, if you planned to have friends visiting you at the hotel, even to say hi or a quick visit for half an hour before you go out, FORGET ABOUT IT. The security guy would come chase right after you and threaten to call police. I FEEL like living in a DORM !

We checked out immediately and tried another hotel around the block, mosquito blue. As soon as you walked in the mosquito blue lobby, you can feel the different vibes. The reception people were really friendly. They spoke English fluently, the room was really nice with proper room light. It made me so happy. It saved the entire trip.

I've been traveling so many times in different parts of the world. I usually don't write a review, cause i hardly had any bad experiences. But this one, I strongly advise not to stay in magic blue. Considering this is not a cheap hotel, the service doesn't stand up to its expectations.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 January 2010

I've stayed in this hotel two years in a row in late December. The first time it was a pretty good experience. It's conveniently located close to all the bars, clubs and restaurants, not too far from the beach and the service is quite decent. It's very clean and rather comfortable.

I returned with my girlfriend this December for New Year's Eve. They gave us a nice room at the back of the hotel. The problem is that the roof is made with wood and bamboo so there is absolutely no sound barrier. As it's next to a very busy street and Playa is alive all the time the car traffic was on loudspeaker. When the traffic calms down, and the music from the nearby clubs too - around 5 in the morning - the birds wake up and start their morning chat. Even with earplugs it was absolutely impossible to sleep. We packed and left as soon as we could. This is a great place for someone who does not go to sleep before 4 am totally waisted. For all the others I would search for some other place in Playa. If you decide that this is where you want to stay, make sure you get one of the rooms adjacent to the side streets instead of the main arteries of Playa.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I have travelled around the world and stayed in many hotels but I have never had as awful an experience as I did at the Magic Blue hotel. We were charged a rate of USD 400/night for New Years Eve, only to be manhandled by the night security gaurd who refused to let us into our room at 5am after we were out celebrating the new year. He physically assaulted my husband and then threatened to call the police. At the time of our reservation we informed that we were 4 people in the room and would need 2 double beds. At the time of arrival we were informed we could only have a room with one King (for 4 people?!) Additionally we wanted to pay for the extra adults in the room, all of which was determined at the time of our reservation. However noe of this mattered as the night security gaurd REFUSED to let us into our room at 5am on NYE. The last straw was his physical assault of my husband. We were lucky enough to find a room at the In Fashion hotel at 5am to spend the night- which turned out to be a wonderful hotel for half the price. Save your money, DO NOT go here. The entire resort is pitch black, no lights in the room, no telephone, horrible service. I will never return and will ensure that I tell as many people about this awful hotel as possible.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank aamnaj
Reviewed 5 January 2010

This is a horrible hotel with bad bad bad service and terrible rooms. the rooms are all dark, you can barely see. the location is terrible and close to all the noise and clubs.
the service is not accomodating at all. very rude workers and most do not speak english. if you are a european or US traveller, i strongly advice you to avoid this hotel. they have no manners and no respect for their customers and do not accomodate in anyway. the place is like living in a dorm!!! the free breakfast by the way, is a scam too. it is worthless and tasteless....

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Alfred72
Reviewed 24 December 2009

I stayed here with my boyfriend and found this hotel to be really nice and peaceful. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. It's conveniently located in the town however it isn't a beachfront property which is a downside. Another downside is that on some days the noise from the nightclub nearby can be very loud. I would still definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking to visit Playa.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Great room, grounds, location, service, breakfast. Stayed here in Nov09. Booked a standard room directly through the hotel's website. Central location (Avenida 10 and Calle 12). Stayed in room on ground floor (hence no noise from nearby bars). 40 rooms located around pool. Wood outside, white marble floors inside, very chique. Friendly staff. Guarded entrance. No kids allowed. Good breakfast buffet next door in Steakhouse Grill restaurant included. Value for money very good.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I stayed at Magic Blue this past March with my boyfriend and had mixed thoughts about our stay. It's a very peaceful spot during the day and I loved the pool area. The rooms were nice; the bed comftorable and a nice vanity area. The bathroom was small and the shower leaked a little onto the bathroom floor. I didn't mind that there was little lighting because it made the room more romantic. The balcony outside the front of the room was nice with a little sitting area. The grounds of the hotel were clean and polished. There wasn't a lot going on by the pool area during the day so it would be nice for someone wanting to nap or read by the pool. We went to the beach club most of the times during the day. It was a nice busy spot where you can do a lot of people watching. The food was great!! Awesome guacamole but the service was a little shady. We paid with our credit card most days and one day our waiter said their credit card machine was broken when they had saw that my boyfriend's wallet had cash in it. We knew it wasn't broken because we watched them run a credit card after the fact and asked the bartender if it was working and she said Si! That made as a little angry. The staff at Magic Blue was confusing. There was one girl who was great but a man who made no sense at all and always looked flustered. We had a hard time understanding him and he always seemed like he had no time for us.

Also, I wouldn't reeccomend Olympus Bus Tours because they stood us up on the second day when we had waited around all day for them. Don't go with them!

I got really sick on our vacation with a stomach infection and was pretty ill for two days. There was a fantastic doctor that came to our room and gave me a shot and medication and I was better the next day, although weak. It dampered our vacation a little bit but I pulled through. Anyways, the Magic Blue doctor was great and I felt very comftorable with him and the medicine that he gave me.

Now, for the BAD BAD BAD part. The location and noise. Man, there are about three nightclubs surrounding that place. We actually got a pretty good location, on the middle floor away from the front, but we could still hear the beat of Congo Bongo. Clubs don't open till midnight and go till about 6 in the morning. It's pretty loud, too. I saw a few people leaving and/or transfering rooms because they were the closest rooms to the clubs. Yikes if you get one of those. I brought earplugs because I had read some of these reviews and that helped but it is not peaceful at night people. It could really be a problem if you got a room on the club side. The birds in the morning are super loud but I actually thought that was peaceful!

I wouldn't reccomend the lounge. We went there one night and it was boring and the furniture was uncomftorable.

The desayuno in the morning is pretty good. The eggs were scumpcious!

Side note: Eat at the Glass Bar on fifth street. We ate there three nights and it was amazing. The only thing that made my appetite come baclk after being sick. Cheese and fruit platter and their chicken was muy bueno!

So, nice experience, never stayed at a boutique hotel before but wouldn't stay at this one again. It was a little too pricy for what we got and I would be terrified to get a noisy room because it would of killed the whole vaca. The staff wasn't the greatest either and I like to be pampered a little when I go on vacation. That's not this place. This place is for reading and laying out and not sleeping at night so just go out all night and drink!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple