“Cenottes and Tulum”

Playa del Carmen Jungle Tour: Tulum, Cenote Snorkeling, 4x4 Ride and Ziplining
Ranked #2 of 366 Tours in Playa del Carmen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We have 6 excursions that combine approach to the Maya culture, exciting activities and contact with nature. Our expeditions are designed for anyone willing to explore the jungle, pristine cenotes and learn about the cultural heritage. We operate in small groups with highly qualified guides. * Coba Maya Encounter: visit the archaeological site of Coba and a Mayan community where we do adventure activities in natural surroundings such as rappelling, zip-lining, canoeing and jungle trekking. * Coba Mayaville: especially for those who want to visit Coba and have a genuine and sustainable approach with Mayan communities to learn about their culture, history and traditions, including the Mayan ceremony. * Tulum Jungle Maya: visit the famous archaeological site of Tulum and enter a natural reserve where we do adventure activities such as snorkeling, rappelling, sip-lining, 4x4 and swimming in cenotes. * Ek-Balam Cenote Maya: explore the best preserved archaeological site of the Maya culture and the largest Yucatan cenote where we can do optional adventure activities. * Jungle Maya: This half-day expedition offers adventure activities in a privileged natural reserve recommended by National Geographic Snorkeler for its incredible cenotes and the access to the longest underground river in the world: the Sacactun System. * nATiVe'S: a unique half day excursion to enjoy the jungle while driving an ATV. The route includes a cave, maya ceremony and a cenote where you can swim in crystal clear fresh water.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Bridgend, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Cenottes and Tulum”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Excellent day with an excellent and knowledgable guide Eduardo.
Zip lining, abseiling and swimming in the cenottes during the morning and dinner cooked " by the locals" followed by a trip to see the ruins at Tulum
Very good day out and will return to do the Coba excursion next time in Mexico
They offer pics and videos like most excursions although you are free to use your own camera by signing a damage waiver, however they do have some good adventure photos and videos that you purchase as they are reasonably costed
Good fun day out

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this adventure park by accident and what an awesome place!! My friend was a little tentative as she was a little afraid of the cave swimming but came away loving the experience. We had a brilliant instructor who was friendly and knowledgeable of the course. Be prepared to be a little adventurous as we had no idea what we were in for. Abseiling into a cave of water, zip lining through the trees and swimming in pitch black water caves! Takes around 3 hours, and a delicious lunch at the end! I'd suggest going in the morning so when you are done it's lunchtime. We took the 1pm tour and didn't eat until after 3pm so we were pretty hungry by the time it finished. A very well run tour with no wait times to start the next activity. Highly recommend this for all ages!

San Francisco, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great day at Tulum & Jungle Maya”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

What an awesome day! I took this tour through AllTourNative on 12 July '14 which was the picture perfect day.

First we arrived at Tulum. We arrived early to avoid the large crowds. Our bilingual guide (Sorry, I can never remember names, but, I do know he was from Mexico City) was very knowledgeable about the areas history and culture. Since our group was bilingual, he explained everything in both English & Spanish, which was helpful in refreshing some of the Spanish I had learned years ago. Tulum was beautiful, walking around the Ruins, going down to the beach, watching the iguanas sunning themselves was an incredible experience. Before getting back in the van you should get a refreshing coconut!

Next, we travelled less than 30 minutes away to Rancho San Felipe where we learned about the people, the land and their customs, rappelled into cenotes, snorkeled in crystal clear fresh water (which was nice after being in salt water for the past 3 days), hiked, zip-lined through the canopy, participated in a Mayan Blessing Ceremony and sat down for a home-made flavorful meal, ending with a refreshing margarita. All along our journey pictures and videos were being taken for purchase but, I would still suggest bringing an underwater camera for the cenotes. The low $ for the CD/DVD at the end was worth it.

I would also suggest purchasing a hand-made souvenir from the little tent at lunch as all proceeds go directly to the village.

Overall, wonderful inexpensive day that benefits the local people.

1 Thank Gary K
Fishers, Indiana
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Coba & Pac Chen -- Amazing Adventure!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We booked the Coba-Pac Chen Mayan Encounter tour through the website Cancun-Discounts about a week before we left. It was $125/adults, $98/child from the Riviera Maya area. We called and confirmed our tour the night before and were picked up right on time at 7:50am. Our guide was Angela. Our group of 12 was split between Spanish and English speakers so our tour was bilingual.

We drove to the village of Pac Chen first where there were lockers to store your belongings. They strongly encourage you not to bring a camera and show you a broken one as evidence. However, based on the reviews I read, I wanted to bring my own camera since I knew they were going to try and sell us high priced photos of our tour. I brought one of my older cameras and had it in a waterproof Dicapac case and it was fine. They will make you sign a waiver if you want to bring your own camera.

We hiked through the jungle and went on 2 zip lines. Our 10 and 12 year olds loved it! We did a Mayan ceremony with a shaman and then took quick showers before rappelling into the cenote. No sunscreen or bug spray is allowed. The cenote has a small opening and is very dark with some bats flying around. You land in an innertube and can swim around for about 15 minutes. It's pretty dark, but your eyes will adjust. I still had my camera with me so I was able to get pics in the cenote. Their photographer will take pics of you rappelling down. You'll have the option of being pulled back up or climbing a rope ladder. Don't climb the ladder unless you KNOW you can make it!

We canoed back across the lagoon, which has fresh water crocodiles in it, but much to our disappointment (and my daughter's relief), we didn't see any. You eat a buffet lunch of traditional Mayan food in a covered pavilion. The food was good, but lots of flies buzzing around. After lunch they will show you all the pictures they took to see if you want to buy. The pricing was by the number of people in your group. It was $69 U.S. to buy the CD of pictures for our family of 4. Even though I had taken my own, they had taken some really good ones of us zip lining and rappelling (and they took some videos), so we ended up buying it. Bring a credit card -- we didn't and it took all our cash to buy this!!

We headed to Coba next and we had an English guide for about 20 minutes and then took bikes for $4/pp to ride to the big pyramid. We would have never made it in time if we hadn't taken the bikes. It was an easy ride on a flat path. It was awesome to climb the pyramid!! It's very steep, but kids bounded up it like mountain goats! The view from the top was amazing! The hike down is perilous -- the stairs are very smooth from wear, so sturdy shoes are a must. I ended up going down on my bottom to be safe! We made it back to the van with only 10 minutes to spare for souvenir shopping.

All in all it was a great tour! The only negatives were the tour being bilingual and being hurried everywhere. At first Angela seemed to be switching from English to Spanish equally, however as the day went on she would talk for long periods of time in Spanish and then in English for a minute or so. It felt like we were missing out on information. Also she was constantly telling us to Vamanos Chicos!!! I felt like I was on Dora the Explorer. I wish we hadn't had to hurry along so much and could have spent more time enjoying the tour.

Clinton, Ohio
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Tulum + Jungle Maya Tour”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had an amazing day. We loved the 3 zip lines and the rappelling. The snorkeling in the underground river was amazing and refreshing. They took amazing photos. I would recommend that you bring your camera for Tulum and then plan to buy their photos and videos for everything else. You will have unbelievable memories. The cost for all photos and videos for 4 of us was $80. But they had photographers and videographers everywhere all day with expensive equipment taking great shots. We think it was worth it since we could relax and know they were taking great pictures. We were able to use a credit card to pay for the photos.

They showed up 15 minutes early at our hotel. They did wait a few minutes for the rest of my family but keep that in mind. The Mayan lunch was wonderful and more than enough food and choices.

Be careful in the water, I did skin my knee on a rock when they told me to stand up. Just be aware of your surroundings. My daughter banged her ankle on one of the zipline platforms but we both had fun anyway. Just have to remember that it's an adventure tour and if you tend to be uncoordinated like us then you should be extra cautious doing the physical activities. We still had a great time and would do it again.

We went to Tulum first. They gave us a bottle of water but that wasnt enough. I would suggest you bring extra water or buy it when you get there. I got dehydrated and dizzy and could not enjoy the ruins as much. I have been to Coba, Ek Balam and Chichen Itza and didnt have that trouble. It was just very hot and humid when we went. I bought more water on the way out and instantly felt better.