We were a little nervous booking this resort after reading the trip advisor reviews, but I am so glad that we ... the value that you get for your money is great. Do not be swayed by the really negative reviews - there are simply some people that cannot be pleased.
No, it isn't the fanciest place in the Mayan, but he friendliness of the staff, the food, the service, the rooms; all are well above average.
We had no complaints on the food (well, except for potatoes - they tend to taste like the mangrove smells :-) but the buffet menus were varied in the 10 days we were there - Festival, the main buffet, had theme nights (Mexican, Italian, Oriental, etc) that were very enjoyable. The al la carte's were good although I thought the menu's were somewhat limited. I have noticed this in other al la carte's as well.
The beach is lovely. Where you swim....not so much, but you can't control Mother Nature.
Night life wasn't something that we were interested in and it was my understanding from some of the younger people at the resort in this area was lacking. They headed to Playa del Carmen, down to 12th Avenue and partied hardy! No complaints from the folks we talked to - they had a blast.
Service, from the bartenders to the housekeepers to the guys that drove the trams all over the resort (which were frequent, by the way - 10 minute wait tops) was top notch. Check in was quick, making reservations in the restaurants was simple - I have no idea how other people could find criticism in the friendly, helpful staff at this resort.
Were the drinks watered down? Sometimes, but let's face it, most people started drinking right after breakfast! If you wanted a stronger drink, all you had to do was ask.
All in all, I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who isn't a whiney complainer. If you fall into that category, pay twice as much and stay somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in an area of 445 acres in a prime position on the beach on the Riviera Maya, BlueBay Grand Esmeralda combines elegant Mayan features with contemporary design and a wide range of service to suit the most discerning traveller. BlueBay Grand Esmeralda provides a relaxed atmosphere for holiday makers. The hotel features 979 elegant and well-appointed rooms and suites with the option of a sea or garden view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Travelbag, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your BlueBay Grand Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bay Esmeralda
- Bluebay Grand Esmeralda Hotel
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Mayan Riviera
- Grand Esmeralda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Resort
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort Spa
- Blue Bay Esmerelda
- BlueBay Grand Esmeralda Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen