Just returned from a week at the Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda. We were a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews but our fears were groundless.
From the moment we checked in we were treated like royalty, nothing was too much trouble for the hard working staff. The rooms were spotless and the maids did a great job every day. The food in all the restaurants was great, we particularly liked the French and Italian, although the seafood/steakhouse and the buffets were fantastic too.
I do admit that the beach isn't as nice as some of the others, but it is cleaned of seaweed every day and although the water isn't blue as you would expect, it's OK.
We caught the tail end of hurricane Ike, so there was always a wind blowing off the ocean. We were glad of it as it helped keep us a little cooler. This was our first trip to this area, and we packed T shirts, my advice is don't! Take loose cotton shirts instead and plenty of mosquito repellant.
We took a taxi into Playa del Carmen a couple of times in the evening. The fare was $15. each way, but if you share a cab it's half that. Playa is fun in the evening, lots of tacky shops mixed in with expensive ones and plenty of restaurants to chose from.
The spa is great, very relaxing. The treatments are comparable in price to what you would pay at any good spa. With each treatment you get a day pass to the spa pools and jacuzzi etc.
We took one trip which we booked through the resort. This was to Tulum, it was half a day and to be honest, it was long enough. Our guide took us around the ruins and explained the history and the buildings to us, and then we had about one and a half hours to ourselves before we had to catch the bus back. The beach is wonderful there so take your swimsuits. We met people who had gone to Chichen Itza and they said it was too long a day, mostly taken up with travelling.
All in all, our week at the BBGE was fantastic and we are going back again next February.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in an area of 445 acres in a prime position on the beach on the Riviera Maya, BlueBay Grand Esmeralda combines elegant Mayan features with contemporary design and a wide range of service to suit the most discerning traveller. BlueBay Grand Esmeralda provides a relaxed atmosphere for holiday makers. The hotel features 979 elegant and well-appointed rooms and suites with the option of a sea or garden view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Expedia, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your BlueBay Grand Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bay Esmeralda
- Bluebay Grand Esmeralda Hotel
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Mayan Riviera
- Grand Esmeralda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Resort
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort Spa
- Blue Bay Esmerelda
- BlueBay Grand Esmeralda Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen