“Paradise on earth”

Ranked #98 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
glasgow
“Paradise on earth”
Reviewed 23 September 2008

The BBGE completly blew us away, wonderfull staff and the best food ever experienced in an AI hotel.
No probs jumping on and off buggies, our room was in block 7 beside the little pool blocks 6 & 8 were either side of us.
The snack bar at the little pool had an excellent range of food and we often had breakfast there .In the evening this becomes the Oriental restaurant and the music from 7am is gentel oriental which give an overwhelming relaxing mood enjoyed by all ages (we were amazed by the number of 20yrs couples ) enjoying lazing around with us.
Main pool huge and fabulous to lie on the sunbeds under the waterfall to give your body a good refreshing pounding.
The beach is lovely and the sea is a bit of a letdown although not in the least a prob as you only have to walk along a few hundred yards and its much clearer. We booked a few boat trips and visited beautiful beaches via this route, also playa del carmen has a great beach.
Rosie at recept booked all our restaurants and never a prob

• Liked — The hospitaliy from staff, fabulous food, also the relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — N/A this hotel is beautiful
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
8 Thank holidayhat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,991)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia
Reviewed 22 September 2008

This is the first time I have been to a resort. Every inch of the resort was the picture perfect expectations I had on how fancy my imagination created it to be. The one thing that I couldn't really deal with was the food quality at some of the restaurants. The Italian restaurant was very mediocre. Good wine, cheese and meat trays, but the lasagne, pasta, and pizza was very mediocre I thought as did my lady. The Mexican restaurant was GREAT. Good quality, it was the only one we ate twice with while we were there. These restaurants had great service mostly, and nice atmospheres, but I would not go back to the Italian restaurants, I would go back many times to the Mexican one, and the steakhouse is worth trying. The others I do not know since we did not go to those. Everything else was perfect. A very fun activity staff, very helpful services, and good drink preparation. It is all very very relaxing. And sleeping was the easiest sleeping I have had in quite a long time. And a thanks to Ivonne of the event staff! She took time out of her day to talk with me and my lady of personal lives outside of the resort which was fascinating for me being from a totally different world, and great for my lady who had a fellow Mexican citizen there that would talk to her as a fellow countryman instead of as a guest. Great time!

• Liked — the very catered-to relaxing service
  • Disliked — the food quality at one of the restaurants
5 Thank cyberpunk7_2000
Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2008

Went there from September 12 to 19. Booked with Sunwing. with sunwing, everything was very fine. From Montreal to Mexico. Once at the hotel, we found the place very clean, the check in was a little slow and it took about 3 hours to get our luggage. Once settled in tough, we had a good few hours sleep. The food was excellent in all the places, but the Italian was best.

The beach is not that bad, nice for about 100 feet, warm water, shallow and not always clear enough to see the bottom, The pools were spotless and cleaned every day. The attendants were very keen in helping us and very polite.. A few small drawbacks.. the bugs at night were very present and some were badly bitten, altough we were hardly bothered.

Twice we had a small scent from the dump on two nights, but not enough to bother us. But all in all for people looking to relax and enjooy the sun, this is the place. Not night life. But a great deal for the price we paid.

• Liked — Cleanliness and the food
  • Disliked — BUGS
6 Thank SergioQuebec_Canada
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2008

My wife and I were anticipating our getaway, looking forward to 5 star food and service as we had already experienced before in the Mayan Riviera. The website looked great.
That being said, here's our opinion:
-Food rates from "above average" to "very good"; often times what's published on the menu is not delivered
-Rooms are very basic, no bathtub, no shampoo ever, not even a "do not disturb" sign (and hotel employees/maids knock once and quickly enter the room before receiving an answer the 2 times I was in the room when they made the rounds)
-Service is adequate, they don't bend over backwards for you
-There's a lot of walking as every building/beach/pool is far from the other
-MOSQUITOES ARE DEVASTATING!!! Bring tons of Off! This hotel is built on a swamp/wetland and as soon as it rained for 5 minutes on the third day of our 7-day trip, they came out and increased in numbers for the next 4 consecutive days. Every trip to the restaurant in the evening becomes painful. Just after entering our room, I had to spend 20 minutes killing all mosquitoes that had come in with us.
Bottom line is, this hotel is rated 5-stars but they should emphasize it is 5-stars for VIP's only, ones who probably own timeshares there or frequent customers. The VIP have imported premium alcohol, secluded beach; and the "rest of us" have 3-star treatment and libations.
If you're looking for a 5-star hotel, I would strongly advise that you keep shopping. If you're getting a really good deal to stay there, and can deal with mosquitoes, enjoy your stay!

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Mosquitoes and ho-hum service
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank EandF
Alberta
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Well this was my first trip outside if Canada and I had a great time.
The staff were very friendly and the rooms were very comfortable and quiet, didn't hear the people next to us.
The food was great although buffets do tend to get boring after a few days but you don't starve.
Room service was great too....after a few days of all day excursions, room service is awesome :)
The beach was small and not that great...but the pool was huge so it wasn't a total waste.
And giving a couple good tips really do go a long way....we gave this one guy about $10....after that....all we had to do was wave in his direction and he showed up with our drinks.
The only thing I found disappointing was that we never came back to our room to find a towel swan and such even with tips left on the bed....maybe it was just the people in that building...cause we met other couples who had that and even had their clothes picked up and folded on a chair...

so all in all I would say this is one hell of a resort and I do highly reccomend it to anyone who isn't stuck up and expecting the world.

• Liked — All inclusive!!!
  • Disliked — no towel swans
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank anitablake
Alberta - Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2008

For a first trip to Mexico and a first all inclusive, we found the Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda to be quite nice. The food was better than expected and the service was all in all above average. The accomodations were great and we found our room to be quite nice.

My girlfriend and I picked this resort based solely on the pictures and reviews and were not disappointed. We had never been on a trip like this and were open to new things.

Upon arrival we were picked up and drove to the resort, about 40 minutes or so from Cancun. We had our bags thrown on a trolly/golf cart and were driven to our complex. There are four complexes on the property, all about a three-five minute walk from the main lobby area. There was also tennis areas, a gym/fitness centre, spa, and shopping area (jewellery store, gift shop - these were more expensive than going into playa del carmen). It's close enough to Playa Del Carmen that you can get a cab there for $10-$15 USD, so save your money and go to Playa for what you need.

Our room was spacious with a king size bed (it's a king, but still a hotel bed so it was firm), a huge bathroom, a nice sized TV with a few channels that had english, and a patio looking onto the ravine/garden. Other rooms had better views, but we were further away from the pool so it was quieter. It also had all the usual ammenities in the room - hair dryer, fridge (fully stocked), safe, etc.

The pool was nice - it all connected or had little spaces where you'd get up and walk to the next. It was big enough that the kids would play in one pool on the far end, adults could lounge in another area. If you're going here for the beach, try again. The only complaint that I did have was the beach was not nice. It had lots of vegetation wash up on shore and the water was not the turqouisey green-blue you'd like to see in Playa del Carmen. I myself liked to swim in the pool so it didn't bother me.

The food was better than expected. Two buffet restaurants for breakie/lunch, four a la carte rstaurants for dinner and another buffet for dinner. Lots of choice for food. And, the room service is good for a quick snack but it isn't the best for a full meal. The bars were good - sports bar, swing bar (not for swingers, but it has swings to sit on) beach bar, pool bar. Bring a big cup - they give you small ones at the bar.

As far as cleanliness goes, this place was well maintained. Our room was cleaned regularly. Although we did tip, we didn't get any swans made from towels and such, but our fridge was stocked with drinks daily. I'm easy to please and it was more my girlfriend that wanted the swans and such, but if the beer is cold, the room can be normal.

The service was pretty good. I've nothing to compare it to, but I didn't have to wait too long for a drink at the pool, or wait for a trolley to get me across this large property. The staff were friendly and helpful on the most part - people are people, they have bad days. But, we did tip a guy $5.00 USD and I would only have to wave from across the pool to get a drink - Javier, you were great.

We enjoyed our stay and would recomend this resort to any family or couple that isn't too high strung. It's not the best from what I hear, but for a first time, I was impressed.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The beach
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tylerpeterson
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 18 September 2008

My wife and I just got back from 9 days at Blue Bay. We had a fantastic time. The hotel was without a doubt the best value in the Riviera Maya. It was not perfect but for what we paid it was more than expected. The service was top notch. The hotel staff went above and beyond to accomodate us in every way. The entertainment may have been a little on the weak side but the condition of the hotel and quality of the food made up for it. We took a taxi into Playa Del Carmen a couple of times and did a tour or two but for the most part we stayed at the resort the whole time and relaxed.

• Liked — Hotel was very clean and staff was very nice
  • Disliked — The walk from the beach to main lobby was far. They had shuttle but rarely used it.
6 Thank badbrad97
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to BlueBay Grand Esmeralda? Share your experiences!