“Welcome home . . . see you next year!”

The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #48 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Elkhart
“Welcome home . . . see you next year!”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We have now stayed at the Royal Hacienda five times, and we look forward to returning next year. We are owners and we always feel as though they really mean it when they greet us with, "Welcome home." The staff is friendly and the service is always outstanding. The resort is always beautifully kept, with the staff starting early in the morning getting the areas around the pools spotless and the seaweed cleaned from the beach. We used to make the trip into Playa for groceries at Wal-Mart, but the savings are not so great that it's worth the hassle for just two of us, and definitely not worth our time away from the beautiful beach. One of the things we really like about the Royal Hacienda is that no matter how full they are, it never seems crowded. This last trip we were there when all the units were full, and yet we never felt rushed to get a place at the beach or a chair in the pool. Happy Hour begins at 3:00 and drinks are half price; the Banana Monkey is the best! We enjoy eating at the pool restaurant--lots of good choices even though the menu isn't that big. The prime rib buffet night at the main restaurant is very good, worth the money. If I had any complaint about the Royal Hacienda it would be that there needs to be another choice in restaurants for the evening meal. The pool restaurant stops serving at 5 and closes at 6; however, there are plenty of places to eat in Playa, and if you sign up soon enough for the free shuttle, you will only have to pay for a cab for the ride back to the resort (the shuttle stops after 6). Use Thompson Travel for the airport transfer to the resort, but it's cheaper to use a cab for the trip back to the airport.

Room Tip: Units on sides B and F have morning sun, D and H have afternoon sun; units C and G are furthest from...
1 Thank LouanneWN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,029)
  • Greek first
San Diego
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This vacation has by far exceeded expectations. The hospitality is phenomenal, the staff go above and beyond the call of duty and to mention how friendly everyone is.

Definitely will recommend Royal Haciendas to friends and family.

EXCELLENT JOB!

Room Tip: Higher room levels have better view to the ocean.
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from Playa del Carmen and the Royal Haciendas Hotel. We had a wonderful stay at this resort! We exchanged our time share through Interval International and we got the smaller lock off room. It has a small fridge, microwave, toaster and sink. It also has some basic dishes. This was perfect for just the two of us and we got some yogurt, cereal, bagels and a few snacks from the resort grocery. There are 2 double sized beds in the room. It would have been nice if there was an option for one Queen bed because the beds were a little small.
There is a large double sink area and a shower/tub combo. We had a great view of the grounds and the beach from room C318. The grounds were very well maintained and very beautiful. There are hammocks to rest in and a nice pool with a swim up bar. There is a large whirlpool that we called the "warm tub" because one evening it was a little stormy and we really wished there was a Hot tub. No such luck in the whirlpool - it is just warm. Take a bath in the large tub in your room!
The beach isn't the most swimmable with red flags almost every day and lots of coral. We enjoyed walking down the beach and wading in the non coral area but we went down to Akumal Beach for more beach swimming.
We had dinner at the La Palapa del Sol restaurant right on the beach. It was wonderful. The staff were very friendly and my husband said that he had the best tacos in his life there! We enjoyed our meal very much and then other nights we were too tired to go out so we ordered room service from the Lapa Lapa counter. It was great having the convenience of delivered food and it was all delicious! Especially the Mexican plate!
Overall - this was a wonderful resort, very beautiful and relaxing. It was quiet and charming and everyone was extremely friendly. My husband and I give it a 4 rating because of the small beds and the beach. Other than those two things - we had a wonderful stay and I'd love to go back and stay in the larger suites!

Room Tip: The C building was great because we had a straight shot view of the ocean!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just spent a week here with a couple other families. Rooms were great, when you get part A&B making the rooms 8 berth. the 6 kids had "sleep overs" which were not an issue due to space. We had a room at the end right near the beach, the ocean fronts were taken but this was the next best thing with Ocean & pool views. When getting your room assignd get as far towards the beach as possible. the weather last week wasnt great but teh room, service & our friends made it a great week away. 10 Minute cab trip(fixed price 140 peso) to downtown (5th Avenue)Playa Del Carmen or a 2.5 mile walk. This place is a time share resort so they do try to make you members, You can rent weeks via Redweek at cheaper price than via Expedia/Hotels.com etc from owners. the Foreigh Exchange is a revenue stream for the hotel, charging everything in US$ at a predermined rate which is 10% less than the rate, eg we were given 12.4 peso to US$, the Airport were offering 13.35, I would suggest paying in peso's wherever possible or pay with Cr card in Peso, not US$. the locals want US$.The onsite shop is slightly inflated as you'd expect for convenience, worth the $10/1400 Peso in Cab to go to local Walmart & you'd recover your cab ride easily in cheaper goods.Played golf at the new local Nick Price golf course as well.All in all this is a spacious, child friendly resort, great pools, great service & right on the beach..

Room Tip: Rooms near beach, book via owners(I'm not one), pay in Peso.Get into town a few times
2 Thank MrWiz1
Brentwood, California
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We bought into The Royal Haciendas a couple years ago, and have spent our week in May 2010 and May 2011 at this resort. We have loved each stay, and have been treated like VIP's. We are so glad that we have purchased there, and are part of The Royal Family.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, some have ocean front. There are 4 Phases, which looks like 2 buildin...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Elora, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We love staying at Royal Haciendas. Good staff, good location, good food, good accommodation!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Gaithersburg
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Overall a very good experience. I love the space in the villas, the lovely Mexican hospitality, and the relaxing aspect of a time share resort versus a traditional hotel In general, I think that owners and guests get a better experience with the Royal properties than with many others along the Riviera Maya. However, to keep that experience at a level above the rest, I offer the following as critical feedback versus a "complaint".

I'm going to start with Housekeeping because we consistently have amazing service from that department. We have had the same housekeeper, Margarita, for 5 years now. It's like meeting up with a cousin every year. Between her English and my Spanish, we manage to have great conversations and share pictures and updates of our families. She is also meticulous and I always love the cleanliness of my villa and the special, personal touches she provides. Royal Resorts--take care of this employee, she is a gem!

Food and Beverage: you really need to step it up a notch. Food quality and selection continue to be mediore at best while prices continue to escalate. Breakfast buffet is priced higher than US resort hotels in general but the food at that meal is the best the Haciendas has to offer. Lunch, BBQ, theme nights--very pricey and "same old, same old" in terms of selection and not very tasty. Pool bar food is better, but I have yet to get hot french fries (a pet peeve). I asked several guests who had eaten at Los Murales if their experience was good--most said it was just OK. Restauranteurs in town do a MUCH better job; your F&B business will continue to erode if you don't put some focus on it. We did more cooking in the villa this year than ever because of the price/value of the resort offerings. Take a lesson from the Royal Sands--we have been guests with an owner there for years--their food and beverage is much, much better--something I look forward to at that property (and don't mind paying their prices because of this). However, a shout-out to Javier (Tom Cruise) at the pool bar in Phase 1--great service and great at remembering guests' names and preferences.

Decor: tired. I know that the intent was to create a authentic "hacienda" feel, but the exterior colors and public spaces border on garish instead of a warm, hacienda feel. The concrete spaces are so big and empty. Bring in an interior designer to make this resort look like the 5-star that it is. While you're at it, find a way to brighten up the rooms--the dark tile, wood and granite need to be complemented with some brightness and pops of color. One guest I was speaking to who exhanged said the place (visually) reminded her of a gulag. The restaurants and Rotunda bar are not inviting--La Palapa del Sol feels very cold, almost cafeteria like. My friend commented last year that, from the exterior, it looked like the world's largest Taco Bell. Again, the Haciendas is a world-class resort, don't let the appearance detract from that.

Landscaping: flawless.
Back of the house: from one who works in the business, awesome and, again, flawless. Good job!
Public space cleanliness: flawless inside and out! Nice staff.
La Tienda: always very nice and competitively priced now. Not sure if that is a result of 5th avenue prices skyrocketing tho.
Front Desk Staff: very nice
Concierge staff: OK. However I will qualify that with it seems that every year our concierge changes. I'm not sure what purpose they serve--the front desk could easily handle providing welcome gift and event "passes" at check-in. Beyond that, I see little value in their role. They do like to hang around with each other, though.
Activities staff: Julio the card shark is very entertaining and the casino night is fun thanks to him, but not well-attended. It would be good to focus this team on getting guests to participate more in resort activities. I feel like the staff in general is ambivalent here. There is little interaction with the staff and guests at the Haciendas. I tend to compare this type of vacation with a cruise--have your leadership team take a cruise and see how they interact with the staff and create a lovely 7-day guest experience. Perhaps this is something your concierge staff could focus on

Bell Staff: lovely and attentive.
Management staff: visibly absent--it would be nice to see them interacting more with guests and taking an interest.

Spa: this, along with Food and Beverage, needs the most work. Let me start with I did NOT receive any Spa treatments this year, and I do LOVE a spa experience. I have been consistently disappointed with the quality of treatments at this otherwise beautiful Spa. Prices are higher than I would pay at home and, quite honestly, for what I know if labor rates in Mexico, it doesn't make any sense. Lower the prices and hire some quality spa staff and perhaps your business will improve there. As an example (and ladies, you'll know what I'm talking about) : my friend when into the spa shop to purchase a bottle of OPI Nail Envy. That product is widely available in the US for about $13 to $15 per bottle. The Spa was charging $40 (that's US dollars!!!!) for Nail Envy and $18 for a bottle of OPI Nail Polish ($8.50 US). Trust me when I tell you those products will sit on your shelves forever. What it also tells me is that your spa is completely out of touch with the spa market. Again, in comparison to the Royal Sands' Spa, the Haciendas cannot even begin to compete, I LOVE the spa at The Sands and I have NEVER been disappointed there. I have been disappointed every time at The Haciendas, I will not go back. This may not be an issue for renters as they don't know any better, but we who come every year are not returning customers.

GYM: Very nice equipment; however, too much broken equipment (ellipticals, bikes). Also, please install sanitizing wipes for the guests. While the attendants say they will wipe them down, they don't. Also, another pet peeve--remove the tip box. Guests are not attended to--while there is water and towels, etc, they are completely "self-serve" which is OK, but I'm not sure why the resort is suggesting customers tip in the gym particularly since this is not a complimentary amenity.

Thanks!

Room Tip: This is a large property, depends on your preference, but I would select ground floor close to the p...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Teresa W
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

Thank you for the detailed review. I've passed a copy of your comments to the corresponding department managers in order to review and adjust our services as needed.

In regard to your SPA and GYM comments, Mr. Joao Duarte, Corporate SPA Manager, had this to say:

"I appreciate the time you took to give us your feedback and I’m sorry to read that you weren’t satisfied with our services.

In regards to the prices, we used to have different manicure/pedicure brands which were less expensive. Due to several clients suggestions we decided to switch to O.P.I. since it was the brand they were asking for. Unfortunately the products are imported and it’s impossible to have the same prices as in the U.S. The information you provide in regards of the prices will help me to check with our supplier, since the $18 usd is even below our purchase price!

Regarding the gym equipment, we are replacing several cardio machines (including the ones you mentioned) this year. So by the time you come back you will see brand new equipment in the gym. The tip box is in every gym in order four our guests to recognize the extra mile in our employees. Per your comments, clearly this is not being accomplished in this gym, for which we are reinforcing the service attitude in our staff immediately. I’m sure you will notice the difference in your next visit."

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back soon.

Warm regards from the Riviera Maya.