1. The beach is fantastic for snorkeling and the snorkeling equipment is free! We saw lots of lobsters, little crabs, rock fish, trumpet fish, barracudas, sting rays, black and yellow moray eels, and various schools of fish, most of which seemed to come out right before sunset.
2. The 1 bedroom is spacious, has a whirlpool on the balcony, and is very nice overall. We had a room that faced the beach so our view was pretty awesome.
3. There are two separate pools for the kiddos and lots of hammocks. Both large pools have swim up bars and shallow spaces for wading and sun bathing at the same time. There are also two big, warm jacuzzis (not hot).
1. The look of the resort's exterior is kind of blah overall -- definitely doesn't feel "royal."
2. The check out process is not very coordinated and was quite a pain for us. Make sure you get a ticket proving you returned your towels and any equipment or you will have problems checking out (we did). When you check-out, make sure they give you a check-out slip or you'll be stopped by security (we were) and have to go back to the reception desk. We were able to resolve this but it was very inconvenient.
3. This place is a $10 US cab ride to downtown one way. There is a free shuttle that leaves and picks you up but you have to reserve it early, it may be booked, and it only comes a few times a day. The first shuttle leaves at 10am and the last shuttle at 6pm with no return shuttle after that which didn't really work out for us when we wanted to get an early start or stay late.
4. There is no hot water for showers. This wasn't a big deal for me since it's hot out and I like warm showers but this was a little annoying for my husband who will take a hot shower in the middle of summer. This may have only been our room but we'll never know because it didn't bother us enough to complain about it.
I should also mention that whenever you leave, they will ask you where you're going which I thought was a little eerie and made me wonder if there were safety issues I should be concerned about. The food at the restaurants was just OK, nothing to die for. With all that said, I would still recommend this place as long as you know the few possible down sides.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Haciendas(R) Just 10 minutes from Playa del Carmen, this enchanting beachfront resort has architecture and gardens inspired by the grand old haciendas of the Yucatan. Enjoy fine dining, activities and many other amenities with the REFINE All-Inclusive package. The Royal Haciendas(R) is proof that dreams come true. Imagine, the best in beachfront living quietly nestled within Riviera Maya's most prestigious oceanfront golf community. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Haciendas Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Haciendas Hotel
- Royal Haciendas Playa Del Carmen
- The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen