Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$422
US$215
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$384
US$320
Barcelo.com
US$317
US$294
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$670
US$487
  • Beachfront
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$355
US$263
  • Breakfast included
Playacar Palace(Playa del Carmen)
Free cancellation until 23/07
US$717
US$598
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$622
US$608
US$486
US$436
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$424
US$330
Cancelon
US$792
US$666
4,290 results
All reviewslos muralesthomas mooretime sharelap poolsdive balamtaco partyall inclusive packageall inclusive guestsfull kitchenwelcome partyshrimp tacosall inclusive planpool barroom servicefree shuttlepersonal conciergechange rooms
Reviewed 11 September 2012

The PROS:

1. The beach is fantastic for snorkeling and the snorkeling equipment is free! We saw lots of lobsters, little crabs, rock fish, trumpet fish, barracudas, sting rays, black and yellow moray eels, and various schools of fish, most of which seemed to come out right before sunset.

2. The 1 bedroom is spacious, has a whirlpool on the balcony, and is very nice overall. We had a room that faced the beach so our view was pretty awesome.

3. There are two separate pools for the kiddos and lots of hammocks. Both large pools have swim up bars and shallow spaces for wading and sun bathing at the same time. There are also two big, warm jacuzzis (not hot).

The CONS:

1. The look of the resort's exterior is kind of blah overall -- definitely doesn't feel "royal."

2. The check out process is not very coordinated and was quite a pain for us. Make sure you get a ticket proving you returned your towels and any equipment or you will have problems checking out (we did). When you check-out, make sure they give you a check-out slip or you'll be stopped by security (we were) and have to go back to the reception desk. We were able to resolve this but it was very inconvenient.

3. This place is a $10 US cab ride to downtown one way. There is a free shuttle that leaves and picks you up but you have to reserve it early, it may be booked, and it only comes a few times a day. The first shuttle leaves at 10am and the last shuttle at 6pm with no return shuttle after that which didn't really work out for us when we wanted to get an early start or stay late.

4. There is no hot water for showers. This wasn't a big deal for me since it's hot out and I like warm showers but this was a little annoying for my husband who will take a hot shower in the middle of summer. This may have only been our room but we'll never know because it didn't bother us enough to complain about it.

I should also mention that whenever you leave, they will ask you where you're going which I thought was a little eerie and made me wonder if there were safety issues I should be concerned about. The food at the restaurants was just OK, nothing to die for. With all that said, I would still recommend this place as long as you know the few possible down sides.

Room Tip: One bedrooms have a whirlpool!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JJFriday
Reviewed 10 September 2012

At the Royal Resort I feel so relax; there is always a kind person helping you.
The staff is very professional but behave like a family, always a smile in their faces.
The facility is excellent. Easy to be in the pool with children.

Room Tip: Excellent place for families. At the beach you can swim or snork with your children safely. IIf you do not want to use the kitchen, be prepared to pay in dollars. Excellent variety and tasty.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mytrip1984
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I exchanged my membership that I own at the Royal Mayan. We stayed with family at the Royal Haciendas for week 35, beginning of September, like always, the Royal Resorts showed why they are the number one on the vacation ownership industry.
Cancun and playa del Carmen, with their white sandy beaches, turquoise warm waters, great infrastructure and friendly people, proved, why they are the number one tourist destination in the caribbean.
Our maid “Angelica”, bartenders, waiters, everybody do they job with a big and genuine smile.

The resort is very accommodating and I can not think of a better place for divers, their dive shop "Dive Balam" with their fantastic staff makes the diference!

Playa is a fascinating culinary experience and there is so much to do, I met people that have come for the past ten years and they still find something new to do.

Hopefully, you get to visit the Royal Haciendas and you get to love it, as much as I do!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Edwi_M
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I have traveled the world over and stayed at many timeshares and have never felt so restricted and intimidated. One of the men out front, Gary, (there 5 days out of my 7) approached me my first day there and demanded to know where I was going by taxi. When I politely told him I felt it was none of his business he became very angry and threatening! He said I HAD to tell him. No way! I live in a free country and refused to tell him. He was horrid, pacing back and forth, raising his voice to me. When I complained to the front desk, they were polite but told me I'd just have to write a complaint to the management. I doubt they received it. I understand the need for security (most definitely NOT Gary's concern) and I understand that they don't want you going to visit other timeshares (ostensibly his primary concern). But having someone like him out front ... the management is irresponsible to condone this type of behavior and I should have been directed to the hotel manager immediately. I kept seeing him almost every day and if looks could kill...it was very threatening. I was afraid of him. I will NEVER go near the place again. My vacation was ruined by one bad apple. I actually spoke with some other guests (couples) that had similar experiences with the same guy, although not quite as nasty. Too bad. It is really a beautiful resort and most of the other employees were nice. I kept thinking I wouldn't have been treated this way if I hadn't been alone. Ladies stay away!!

Room Tip: some other place, probably downtown Playa
Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
12  Thank Lee H
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear Guest:

At Royal Resorts we make every effort to ensure that our guests are satisfied with their stay. Occasionally, our guests are invited to attend timeshare presentations with outside companies. The personal concierges provide information to help guide our members and guests and let them know what they should expect from any timeshare sales presentation in the area. This service is intended to be non-intrusive and merely to clarify what may happen during the sales presentation in order to manage expectations.

We truly regret that you felt you were not attended properly by the concierge during your stay and have followed up with staff members to ensure such a situation does not recur.

Warm regards,
The Royal Haciendas Management

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Just returned from a 7 day stay at the RH and can not say one bad word about this place. We had a junior suite which was perfect for the two of us. After all since it is just the two of us and we are not bringing children with us I do not need a full kitchen, I'm on vacation and i do not want to cook in my room. The service at the RH is fantastic,from the front desk clerks the waiters or waitress, the maids, the laundry room attendent,everyone is just fab.Also want to mention the great view we had from our balcolony we could see all the pools and the beach and even see coszumel it was great.After reading one review I was a little concerned that our concierge would totally ignor us after refusing the time share but she still treated us nice her name was Betty. We just explained that at our age and the health problems that we did not fill it would be in our best interest to do a time share. They accepted this and did not pressure us into something that we really did not want. Hope they will still let us come back as just guest in this resort. when we started planning our vacation we had full intentions of doing everything that there is to do but after relaxing by the pool one day we switched things up and just mostly stayed at the resort by the pool and beach. this turned out to be the most relaxing vacation ever.Don"t get me wrong we did go into town a couple of nights for dinner and a walk,you cant go to playa and not experience the town. We also ferried over to coszumel for snorkeling.Prices at the little store are great. Also resturants have great prices. Love the pool bar, We do not drink but ordered drinks with no alcohol they were very good and at a very good price.The fact that they do not supply shampoo was not a problem I like to use my own anyway. To sum this all up this is a beautiful place and i would return fo a second visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple