“Amazing stay, as always!”

The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #49 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Tucson, AZ
“Amazing stay, as always!”
Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

We just returned from a two week stay at the Royal Haciendas. We own here, so we have been going for 5 years. As usual, we had a fabulous time! This year, the weather was perfect (October 27 to Nov. 9), so we chose to hang out on the beautiful beach almost very day. I is very easy to find a nice beach palapa at the Haciendas, ALL day long. No chair hogs here! We snorkeled right in front of the resort and saw lots of fish, live conchs, sting rays, and lots of coral. Snorkel gear is available to use for free at the resort' which is a nice bonus. We also kayaked for free right in front of the resort, which was a fun activity as well. The beach is a great walking beach. You can walk north to a cute bungalow type hotel that has a cool outdoor restaurant/bar for a fun cheap day trip experience. (Coco's Cabanas, about a 20 minute walk north). You can also walk south all of the way to Playa if you want. It's only about a 45 minute walk, and the walk is beautiful! You will find many beach massage places on your walks. Try one out! They are great, cheap, and a MUCH better deal than the spa on site. In my opinion, the spa at the Haciendas is way over priced for the Playa area.
The pool bar/beach bar menus are great! For a great price, you can get lunch on the beach or at the pool without having to leave your chair! Compared to other resorts we have been to, the prices are very good. Grouper fish sandwich with fries, only $10. Burger with fries, about the same price. Other resorts of this type charge in the range of $15-$20 for the same things, so you really are getting a value here. They also have a new drink of the day deal that offers 2 for one drinks all day long of the drink of the day. Great way to try to drinks! We loved this deal! :)
The villas are very nice, comfortable, clean and well taken care of.
The staff at the Haciendas is what makes this resort truly a 5* experience. They are simply the best! We look forward to seeing our Mexican friends at the resort every year! Please remember to tip them! They work very hard and deserve it!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank maja651

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,029)
  • Greek first
MIchigan
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Well this was the first year we could go on vacation for 3 weeks and we took the opportunity We found the best transportation price, $106 total, with Thomas More which included Airport to Royal Haciendas then RH to the Royal Sands and RS back to the airport.
It was also the first year we could use our lock off at the Haciendas for week 37.
Our villa was near the lobby which ended up being a good location. We purchased our usual morning items and beverages for the week knowing we would take them to the Sands the following weeks. After exploring the grounds we had lunch at the phase II pool bar/restaurant.
Food was like the Char Hut at the Sands and very good. Settled on the beach for the afternoon along with a walk on the beach to the north. The water was calm for the first 2 days but we did not take advantage of. The rest of the week it was 2 to 3 foot waves and could not use our snorkel gear or raft. While Brenda was joining the pool exercise group everyday I would walk the beach in both directions. We had dinner several times at the La-Palapa-Del-Sol and took advantage of the breakfast buffet Saturday. The food selection was pretty good but the to order waffles for Brenda and Eggs Benedict for me was a great treat before our move to the Sands.
Our special dinner was at Los Murales which reminded us of the El Conquistador from the menu to the guitar player. Most nights we ended up with our night cap at the La rotonda bar with Omar a fun and excellent bartender. We adventured out one evening to 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen and had a good dinner at the KaanKab restaurant. At 7pm that was the only restaurant that had dinners and thought that was a good sign and it was. We also booked the least expensive trip with Thomas More from 9AM to 9PM to Xcaret which include the show. We had our own snorkeling gear and rented a locker for the day for $5. We used the Xcaret map to explore the area and then returned to areas we wanted to spend more time. Warning when we snorkeled they gave us a choice of more caves or less. We took more and that was an error in judgment. The caves are caves and not lit at all so you were in darkness for most of the swim touching feet in front of you. The less caves would be the better choice. Back to the beach where we tried to snorkel but the water was to riled up and few fish. By 3PM we did all we wanted to do and decided on the dinner with the show. The show started at 7Pm so we had a lot of meandering time which was ok. The show was FANTASTIC and the dinner was not only good but well timed with the show. When the show was winding down to the grand finally we were finishing our dessert and coffee. For us from noon to the end of the show would have been plenty of time. For us the Haciendas was like a vacation where you were exploring what to do.
Weeks 38 and 39 at the Sands. When we got to our villa it really felt like we were back home. Our waiters greeted us at the Char Hut like long lost friends then our friend from Flint Michigan, Gary and Jan joined up with us to fill the rest of the evening. Sunday we did the welcome party and meet up with John and Charlotte from California. In general we had the morning to ourselves Brenda exercising and me walking the beach. Then the 3 of us couples would get together all week usually starting with bingo and proceeding to phase II pool for happy hour then casino night or Karaoke. We spent an evening at Margaritaville for a cheeseburger in paradise and the entertainment. Most of the evenings we ate at the RR restaurants. Prime Rib night at the LaVeranda, Mexican at Paco Taco's, Sidelines for their sandwiches the Char Hut and of course we had to have a pizza night. Our friend Amanda joined us in the second week, her second year with us, first last year. It was a different week, same fun at the pool bar just less people. Brenda and Amanda did the early morning Spa on Tuesday and Thursday to get back into the daily routine. We did the Diamond International trip to Playa with a stop at the Haciendas. Had a rainy day Thursday so we took Amanda to Le Isla for some shopping and eats. Got back in time for the last of happy hour and on to Casino night. This was the first time we spent a lot of time doing the casino activities and had a blast and meet new people each night.
So for three weeks we spent the majority of our time at the resorts and had a wonderful time.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike151
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I own a timeshare at royal resorts and the reviews that I just read on trip advisor is a total shock to me. I have owned my timeshare about 10 years and have always been treated fabulously at the sands. I went to visit the royal haciendas once about 3 years ago and find that the complaints written about in the last few reviews do not ring true...While my husband loved the scuba diving he went on while we were there, i just roamed around the resort..... I found the bar/restaurant very engaging (nope, not a drinker... but like my iced tea with lime) and the cervice excellent and the service magnificent as always. The restaurant manager saw me waiting by the restaurant for quite a while and came over to talk, mostly making sure i was ok I am sure... Very nice and helpful in pointing out where things were. I have NEVER had anyone in the royal resorts (stayed at all the ones on cancun island) EVER be rude or condesending, very helpful when I was in a wheelchair with a broken foot (even to pushing me around in the chair while my husband was diving (favorite pastime when we are there) and they offered me a handicapped unit if i thought it was necessary... as far as the timeshare program meeting, I found the royals much LESS pushy and rude than the others, so I am amazed at the reviewer's dissapointment. I think perhaps the royal resorts are possibly getting bad reviews by folks that MAY be in the employ of other places... It is just SO foreign from my experiences at the royals on cancun island.... and I have stayed at them all.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rrgirl6100
Jenison, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This is mostly a time share resort with a few villas open for exchange but this made it all the better because it wasn't nearly as crowded as other all inclusive resorts. Service was outstanding, resort was spotless and I would rate the food as A- or B+.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jack d
New York
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Place was great as usual. Booked 1 tour to see Coba and also went deep sea fishing both thru Royal Haciendas. Excellent service ! Dinner at Los Murales was wonderful.
This is our 3rd time vacationing at this resort.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Christine S
ONOWAY
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Arriving at the Royal Haciendas always feels like coming home to us. We begin to relax as soon as they say "Welcome home". The staff at the Royal Haciendas are very friendly, courteous and helpful. The villas are spacious and we always have a wonderful sleep in the comfortable beds. If you have forgotten anything, you can probably purchased it at the small store near the lobby. We love the option of purchasing fresh fruit and vegetables daily.
There are 2 pools, 2 lap pools, 2 children pools, 4 whirl tubs and of course a beautiful beach!
The food at the restaurants is delicious. We love the Los Murales restaurant, the food is exceptional and the service is excellent.
There is also a well maintained gym with several pieces of equipment, opened everyday except Saturday.
On a clear day you can see Couzmel from the beach and at night you can see the lights of the island from the restaurant while you are dining.
When it is time for us to leave, we always look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: The penthouse units at the back have the best views.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank scooter3500
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

I went to Royal Haciendas as a guest of my parents who own. I brought my husband and two children, 10 & 9. My sister and her friend came as well. From the moment we arrived we were waited on at every turn by a very attentive staff. All staff speaks English. My only complaint is that we had to use our credit card for all purchases, but I think that is common. It was a very expensive vacation, but worth it- we all enjoyed ourselves and you can see where the money is going by the view of the grounds and landscaping. Overall I would recommend taking a luxury vacation here with kids and grandparents at least once in your life. This is not a spring break destination, it is quiet and family friendly.

There are numerous free activities ranging from step aerobics to poker for adults and sand castle building to legos for the kids. There are huge pools and hot tubs. The public hot tubs are luke warm at best but all the rooms have their own outdoor jacuzzi's with very hot water. I liked the buffet dining the best. There was an outdoor bar cafe with great frozen drinks but average bar food. I had spa services one day and used the wet and dry facilities- steam, sauna, jacuzzi etc- they were excellent and the wrap I had was one of the best spa experiences I have ever had. The spa prices were not inflated compared to home.

The beach front is nice, but the water is not the clear aquamarine. You can take a shuttle or cab or even walk straight down the beach about 40 min to go to the public beaches at Playa del Carmen to play in the true Carribbean aquamarine water.

Hope this is helpful:-)