“Six of one, Half dozen of the other”

The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #49 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Six of one, Half dozen of the other”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Though the property is nice and laid out fairly well, (except for the stairwells between floors being located in too few places), there are a few detractions. Firstly, the non "hard-sell" to buy a "time share", in itself, is annoying due to the "daily" calls from a concierge which include an "invitation" each time. One should not purposefully ignore a ringing phone or screen calls on vacation. No means no. The check in procedure and orientation was helpful, but the restaurant recommendations were geared only to "deals" linked to advertising, not quality reviews. The on site dining options were too limited for an "all inclusive". Thankfully, we had booked before the all inclusive was put in place, so we could venture into town to get other fare. The food quality on property was fair and not too overpriced. Please, however, refrain from refrigerating your red wines below 65 degrees. Food service was good, housekeeping was slightly erratic (inconsistent). The shuttle service was a nice touch for the evening getting into town. The activities were good for the kids that were in our circle of friends. We did not use the spa, breakfast or Room Service. (There is no Room Service Menu in the rooms, by the way) All in all, if it were NOT all inclusive, I would likely return maybe once every five years or so. Being all inclusive, now, I would never return, until the operation expanded both its options and quality

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paulyfudd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,029)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Time sharing with a dear friend for the second year = gorgeous , so friendly, clean, and wonderfully restful!
The pools are paradise, Massage and spa top rate, pool aerobics wonderful and invigorating,
Grilled grouper everyday- delicious!!!
This place is terrific for an adult, quiet getaway!

Room Tip: Rooms on south facing with great afternoon sun/sets
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hoytytoyt
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 1 November 2013

On this review my Husband and I had a hard time deciding between Very Good and Excellent. We spent our first week in Cancun at the Sands and We gave them an excellent. So I will continue with the review and let you decide. This is our second time at this location and it is a beautiful location. Last year we traveled with my sister this year just my Husband and I. I must say their Medical Staff is wonderful as I got a bit of a bug while here and they were timely and saved my Vacation. So with that said I am giving them an Excellent. When we arrived they gave us our Villa key and we went directly to the room however to my surprise it had not been cleaned. I thought this was an error and called back to the Front Desk and asked them to Comp us a lunch since the room had not been cleaned. I thought they thought the room was cleaned. However, I am not sure where the disconnect was but the front desk didn't perceive this as a problem. They said check in wasn't until 4;00 so they let us in our room early. For me I would rather just wait until my room is cleaned and ready. Maybe someone else would see that differently. Anyway with that said the food, drinks and service is awesome. The views from the rooms are magnificent. The Staff is very helpful. There are no language issues as I feel I need to get better with my Spanish after all I am visiting Mexico. .

Room Tip: All the Villas have an ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pontiacman428
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 November 2013

You never feel concerned about your security. The staff is excellent, the villas clean and lovely. I am a member and you are treated extremely well. The voice of the customer is heard. They are warm and welcoming. It does feel like my home in Mexico. They are the best.

Room Tip: My units are beachfront and truly fabulous. Your personal concierge is there to help you navigate ch...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RRowner
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Overall, the trip was fantastic. The resort was well maintained in all areas. The rooms are modern and very spacious compared to other 2-bedroom time share units I have stayed in. The food was really good overall. You certainly can't beat the location! Almost all of the staff was super friendly - my favorite staff member was Ramon at the Rotunda bar! He was awesome and kept us entertained whenever we were there.

Now - onto the crappy part. I didn't mind having to pay for the All-inclusive plan. What I didn't like about it is the process they use to track your spending. I understand not all guests have the AI plan and they need some way to account for it, but every time you want to order anything ( a drink by/in the pool, at the restaurants, etc) they take your room key. Which is fine if they swiped it and handed it back, but they hang onto it until you close your tab! What makes that whole part even crazier is that the AI people have a special wrist band to wear to denote that. So, if you are in the pool and decide you want a drink and didn't bring your key with you (how many women's bathing suits accommodate a room card?) you need to leave the pool, get your card, and then head back in. Insane! What they really need to do is somehow embed a chip into the wristbands that handles all of that, including making it a room key. Then you never have to worry about losing your key, or forgetting it, etc. And - even though it was an all inclusive you still had to sign a "Zero" bill every time you closed out your tab!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tania W
Peachland, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Excellent resort. Well run and maintained. Staff very friendly and courteous. 4 pools plus 2 kid’s pools and 4 whirlpools, gym (additional charge), 2 pool bars/grills and 2 restaurants. Are you a scuba diver? On site dive shop is Dive Balam. Marcos and his staff are very professional. Dive trips to Cozumel leave right from Royal Haciendas.

Jim W
Peachland BC

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. Upper floors have better views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim W
Eureka, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I had a late vacation this year, yet just the two of us so off we went.Full of anticipation of enjoying our alone time in the area known as the "Mexican Riviera"
We arrived a day late due to a horrific experience with our carrier....United! (No more to be said on that topic) Two weary travelers were greeted by a very friendly, funny and professional young man. "G-mail" soon became one of the faces behind the expansive front desk that we would visit daily just to say hello to!
Another gem in the Royal Haciendas satchel is the Concierge Jacqueline. She is extremely helpful and kind yet maintaining an authentic, sincere air.
The suite was very nicely appointed, clean (so very impressed with every single housekeepers service) and welcoming. The bath was exceptional...white fluffy robes, walk in shower( roomy for two!) and the outside balcony with Jacuzzi, bliss.
We also enjoyed our massages that we received side by side in a large room in the spa. So relaxing. I had a few more wonderful treatments. Excellent service, beautiful surroundings.
Last and certainly not least was the dining experience. La Palapa was airy and served a wonderful, breakfast. Lots of fresh fruit and traditional Mexican options. Our evening when we stayed on the property, having not taxied into Playa de Carmen we frequented Los Mujedas. WOW what service and amazing cuisine and wine!!!! Both my husband and I have never experienced such level of service as provided to us. The steak prepared at our table by the Manager was a thing of beauty...pure love for his work and enjoyment in the pleasure that he gave to us was amazing.
Wonderful week. Perfect time of year. No rain, kids in school. Great getaway for reconnection and restoration steeped in the wonderful Mexican culture!

Room Tip: The suite on the 3rd floor facing the ocean was lovely! We were at the very back of the property wit...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple