“Fantastic property”

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fantastic property”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My friends own a time share at RH, and I stayed there the first week of March. I've been twice before to Mexico. once to Cancun and once to Cozumel. Based on those two experiences, I wasn't keen on going back, but I did, and am so happy! The location is less than 3 miles from the bustle of 5th Avenue (which I love/hate, but the hotel shuttle makes multiple trips each day ($3.00 US dollars each way. Be warned - it drops you off in the lot of a jewelry store through which you must run the gauntlet to reach the street.)
The propery has a couple of restaurants (both good, but see my review of Los Murales, there are better high end restaurants in town) a grocery store (a tad high priced, $10 US dollars for a pint of Haagen Daaz,) and a gym (for a fee.) There is a kiddie pool, a lap pool, and a community pool with a swim up bar. There are several shady places with hammocks. You are steps away from a beautiful beach, with lounge chairs and shady huts, if you so desire.
The rooms themselves aren't swank - they could use some new furniture - but that is a small squabble. They were very comfortable, quite clean, and functional. Microwaves and fridges in all, and in the larger units a full sized kitchen,
There is a grill at the community pool, where you can get lunch and drinks. There are one or two daily 2-for-1 drink specials. There is also a full staff of hard-working folks who will come by your chair and ask if you need anything.
The staff - hard to describe how awesome they are. They seem genuinely glad to have you and to serve you. I felt welcome all week.
There are lots of daily activities for adults and kids (water aerobics, Bingo, volley ball, etc.) There are also 3 or 4 shows at night. All are welcome, no fee.
When I return - and I will - I will do my best to stay here.
My one caveat - you don't spend money here. You are given a card at the beginning of the trip, and you use if for every purchase. It is very easy to run up an impressive bill!

Room Tip: People shy away from rooms by the kiddie pool - don't. The entire week I was there, I saw no mor...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lclarknj1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
  • Greek first
Edmundston, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This place is very nice, but a you can see in my title, this place is a Time Share ! and they tried too much to sell (normal, they want to make a living) but most of the crowd are retired couples or older couples. You will see a couple of Young family and kids, but there is nothing very interesting for them except the beach and pool. My wife and I (41 and 40) felt as if we were too Young to be at this resort, but we loved the tranquility.

Room Tip: If you want peace and tranquility, it is the place.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Francois P
Boston, MA
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My parents purchased a one-week timeshare here about 5 years ago. At first, I couldn't understand why they loved this place so much, but now that I've been to the Royal Haciendas 4 times, I think they made an excellent choice. This place is nothing short of paradise. We just got home from yet another wonderful vacation there.

Based on my experiences, I've noticed that the property is very well-maintained and they are always striving to improve things in and around the resort. All of the workers we've dealt with are incredibly friendly, helpful and fun (especially Paco who taught the water aerobics class). There are so many on-site activities to get involved with for adults and children too. We enjoyed the karaoke nights and pool volleyball, among other activities.

I didn't think I would get myself to workout every day, but my mom and I were able to get up early and workout (which made us feel slightly less guilty lying out in the sun the rest of the day!). The gym has everything you would ever need to workout - treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, free weights, benches, medicine balls, etc.

With regard to on-site food, we've eaten at the poolside grill numerous times and really enjoyed a burger or sandwich right before happy hour. Speaking of happy hour, not only are the drinks half price at 3pm, they are pretty tasty too. They also give you free chips/salsa during happy hour, which is a nice addition. We like to go to "Lapa Lapa" (on-site restaurant) in the morning for breakfast, they have a delicious array of bagels, toast, pastries, fruit, cereal, etc. and they also have an egg station where someone will kindly make your eggs (however you want them). They replenish the food fairly quickly, so I have personally found everything to be fresh. We did not go too frequently for dinner this time around as we wanted to try out other restaurants on 5th Avenue (although I will say that they do have interesting dinner themes) - when we have eaten there for dinner during past trips, the food has been good. The free shuttle to 5th Avenue for members is a very nice perk too.

At first we were a little unsure as to whether or not we liked the idea of the "all-inclusive" option, but realized that it made sense to offer guests that option. It is not something that would work for us as we enjoy going to 5th Avenue for dinners and we would not drink enough to really make it worth it.

Our rooms was always nice and clean when we came back from the pool. One day we left our "Do not disturb" sign on the door and didn't realize it until probably around 3pm, so when we called the front desk - they sent someone up immediately to clean the room! The service is nothing short of amazing, they truly do make our stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

Lastly, my experience in the spa has been excellent as well. I've had a swedish massage and facial the past few years and most recently decided to try the foot spa treatment - my feet felt like a baby's bottom once the treatment was complete. I would do that again in a heartbeat. We book our spa treatments the day before we head back home...it's the cherry on top.

My only suggestion to management is perhaps some updating in the rooms (i.e., TVs/phones) and to consider adding more on-site food options (especially for the benefit of those people with all-inclusive), I think a steakhouse-type restaurant would do very well at the resort.

Although our vacation this year has come to an end, we cannot wait for next year!

Room Tip: If you want to be close to everything, try choosing a room that sits in the middle of both phases...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RQualtieri
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was our second trip to Royal Haciendas and it was just as amazing this time! The villas are decorated in relaxing colors that provide a perfect counterpoint to the bright colorful exterior decor.The beach is exquisite! White sand and water in the most amazing array of blues...truly paradise. The restaurants offer delicious meals at reasonable prices and the staff is warm and accommodating - can't wait for next year!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors have the best ocean views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bennington
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Royal Hacienda is one of our favorite places to visit. We come every year for two weeks. The facility, service, grounds, pools, food, amenities are all 5 star. We have never been disappointed while staying at the property. You are 15 minutes from Playa Del Carmen and the fun of 5th Avenue shops, restaurants, music and beaches.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Horseheads, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Excellent facility, gracious grounds and superb service typical of the Royal Resorts. Enough pools for all (small kids, family and lap). Plenty of lounge chairs although the main pool has the usual issue of people laying out towels at 7 AM then not showing up until noon. Large beach but fairly small swimmable area due to rocks and coral close to shore. No adjacent resorts yet, so it feels quite secluded. Pleasant beach walks both directions. Low cost massages 100 feet up the beach. Startling tropical bird sights on the lagoon across from front entrance. Restaurants are good, but we mainly go to Playa del Carmen for variety and the 5th Ave walking sights and sounds. We liked it enough to buy a week several years ago.

• Stayed March 2014
Folsom, California
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Our favorite place to stay! Staff was very friendly and there is so much to do. They clean the beach every morning so that way its sparking for the day. The food isnt that good so we went to the local supermarket and stocked up on breakfast and lunch foods. For dinner, the place is a short 10 min taxi ride and there is so much food options downtown. Be sure to ask for a vacation size drink!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family