We've been staying at Royal Resorts for years and have always been very happy. Our first stay at Royal Haciendas was quite a few years ago and we LOVED it! Fantastic room, very reasonable, good food, friendly staff.....
This trip we were very disappointed, but there were some great points as well. I have a soft spot for Royal Resorts because we've been so consistently happy with over 20 stays over the years, but I had to share this review and truly hope they are able to fix this issue. As of now we won't be returning to Haciendas and will think hard before going back to any of the Royal Resorts.
The staff is still wonderful, especially at Las Murales restaurant. We did not feel harassed to purchase a time share, but the option to see a presentation was made available to us. No matter what we asked for we received it with a smile. The staff that provides drinks and food at the pool and beach is incredibly attentive.
This time we stayed all inclusive, but it is only an option, not a requirement. We thought is was well worth the cost, but our bill for food always had zero as a total with a note that tips were not included. Most all inclusives include tips so this was disappointing, and having no total made it impossible for us to fairly tip the wait staff. We did our best and they were genuinely grateful when we tipped no matter what we left for them. There are only three places to eat, and not all serve every meal of the day. If you are looking for a huge variety or high end food then you won't find it, except for dinner at Las Murales, but the food was good and we found it easy for all of the kids as well as the adults to find something they liked each day. I do wish there was more of a choice as we got tired of the menu half way through the trip.
The room location was a dream for a family with 4 children under the age of 11. We were first level beach front and pool front. Back patio was on the beach and front door led directly to the pool. It was perfect! It was a bit disappointing that when we checked in we were told there wasn't a first level beach front available even though we had requested one, but upon pushing one magically opened up. Frustrating to say the least.
Perhaps the worst part of the experience was the music both the volume and the appropriateness. During dinner in this wonderful fine dining restaurant there was loud music pumping from next door that overshadowed the live guitar. Requests by the restaurant management and several direct requests from diners while we were at the restaurant several times were ignored. Also, the music at the pool started off great, but soon became loud club music that was not appropriate for families. I am all for club music, but my kids don't need to hear "Sexy and I know it" several times a day for 10 days in a row. At one point during one of the activities while this song was playing an older man stood on the side of the pool and mooned the crowd. Fortunately the kids missed that. Needless to say we spent more time sitting at the beach than the pool. Even without kids if I was on a party vacation with friends this would have been too much like a spring break scene for us.
Also, be aware that they no longer take traveler's checks and you have to present your passport to exchange money. Not a huge deal but very frustrating when you walk from the room to do so and then have to go back and get a passport.
The resort itself is in need of maintenance both outside and in the room. Our couch was torn up on the sides, our room had marked and ding in the walls. The kitchen was missing many of the amenities that we remembered from our first stay, and it was not clean at all. We found rice on the shelves in one of the cabinets and a bug in the refrigerator when we checked into the room that had clearly been there for a while.
At the end of the day the price was very reasonable, but I think at our visit overall we did not get what we paid for even at that price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Haciendas(R) Just 10 minutes from Playa del Carmen, this enchanting beachfront resort has architecture and gardens inspired by the grand old haciendas of the Yucatan. Enjoy fine dining, activities and many other amenities with the REFINE All-Inclusive package. The Royal Haciendas(R) is proof that dreams come true. Imagine, the best in beachfront living quietly nestled within Riviera Maya's most prestigious oceanfront golf community. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Odigeo, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Haciendas Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Haciendas Hotel
- Royal Haciendas Playa Del Carmen
- The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen