“Better than average, but OUCH - my back!”

The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #49 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Better than average, but OUCH - my back!”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Overall, the resort was very nice but had a few annoying features.

Everyone was offered bottled water upon arrival. We were not members at this resort, so we had a much longer check-in line (~20-25 min wait). We noticed quite enviously that the members had a welcome lounge and free drinks while they checked in.

We were assigned a ground-floor villa. The view was of the activities center and the pools and beach beyond. We had plenty of good lighting in the villa, and decor was very nice and modern. Throughout our stay, we heard some noises and guessed it was either noisy neighbors or construction. The villa was very clean when we arrived. The hot tub on the patio was a great feature. Ours did not drain properly, and when we reported it, the attentive maintenance staff arrived within 10 minutes to fix the problem.

Maid service was offered each day except Sunday. At orientation on Sunday, we were told to tip the maids $5/day. Tip jars were in view at the welcome party on Sunday (free beers and rum+cokes) and the taco party on Monday. These events, however, were very nice touches to welcome guests to the resort. The resort is extremely quiet in the evenings, with not much going on for entertainment.

Free internet; signal was weak at times but was strongest near the lobby. Gym was $8/day or $38/week, which we thought was ridiculous. Snorkel and kayak gear were free, but snorkeling and kayaking were canceled on the days we were there due to rough waves. Convenience store on site had a wide range of items, from alcohol to dairy products and souvenirs. Free shuttle to Playa del Carmen; due to an agreement with the area's taxi union, the last shuttle back to the resort is at 6:30pm, so don't expect to have a free ride back after dinner; you'll have to take a taxi. Spa services offered were similar to high-end services offered at resorts in the US, and priced similarly as well. From the time-share sales pitch, we learned that 80%+ of the owners at this resort are Americans, so the resort seems to charge high US prices for everything.

Resort grounds were very clean. The beach was clean with gorgeous white sand, and there were plenty of chairs at the beach and pools. Hammocks were arranged between the resort buildings. Two lap pools and several kids' pools. Two very large pools with swim-up bars. Two pool-side restaurants served lunch and happy hour. Waiters were very attentive to those at the beach and pools. Prices: ~$9-15 for wraps/sandwiches/burgers, ~$3-7 for happy hour drinks. We found the wraps and sandwiches to be acceptable, but the happy hour drinks were weak. The large beach restaurant has a very nice ambiance, with high
thatched-roof ceiling and beautiful view of the ocean; we went to the ~$25 "international night" dinner buffet and found the food to be bland though acceptable. There was a high-end expensive restaurant on site, but we peeked in one night and didn't see anyone in there, and we certainly didn't eat there either. The kitchen in the villa was well-stocked with cooking equipment, and we went to the Walmart in Playa del Carmen to buy reasonably-priced food supplies. The resort very conveniently had filtered water, so drinking the tap water was okay.

Our biggest problem was that the pillows and beds were very firm and not very comfortable. The resort also did not provide shampoo/conditioner/lotion. Our personal concierge, although very friendly and nice, seemed to be most interested in getting us to have a free lunch with the sales staff. All the restaurant, activities, cleaning, maid, front desk, and maintenance staff at the resort were very friendly and responsive to inquiries or
requests in English. Transportation to and from the airport was through Thomas More Travel ($45 roundtrip per person for shared 40-min shuttle ride). Thomas More Travel was also the on-site agency for arranging all excursions ($65 for snorkeling, $100+ packages to eco parks and Cozumel). We didn't do any of these excursions so cannot comment on their value.

We had a relaxing vacation at this time-share resort but may try an all-inclusive resort next time, mostly so we don't feel the need to cook.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,013)
  • Greek first
Palo Cedro, California
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We had a two room suite with another couple. The was tons of room, and as much privacy as we wanted. The resort was extremely quiet, but fully staffed. Everywhere was immaculate and well maintained. The hotel restraunt and bars are fine, a bit spendy but not bad at all. Free Wireless Internet was available, but intermittent at our room.

The resort is off the highway and the road is under contruction for the new golf course. Taxi's are the best way to get around. Service is flat rate and very reasonable. Trip is about $10 to Playa del Carmen. Good drivers can get you to hidden and fantastic restraunts. For the condo, the onsite store is fairly well stocked, but if you really want to stock up, WalMart is a great adventure!

For some adventure, Xplor is big fun! It is a true workout, but plan to spend the entire day and pace yourself if needed.

We will not hesitate to return to both the area and specifically Royal Haciendas.

seattle,wa
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We just returned from the Hacienda October 2nd. This was our third time there via a trade through Interval. First, we ABSOLUTELY do love it there, or we wouldn't go back each year. BUT, I do agree with the previous comment about how we had to check in. Our prior 2 visits we were warmly welcomed with water and directed to the check-in counter. This year, we were instantly asked if we had been there before and were we owners? Before anyone even said hello. We were then directed to the one employee in the back corner of the room. The most offensive part of this check-in process for me was the "rope" separating us from "them" (the owners). I truly felt like a girl in high school, and I wasn't the popular one! (Thank god I WAS popular once I got outside to the bar!!!) While waiting at this "desk", I then heard a blender. I looked over, and the people on the "other side" of the rope were being given Margaritas! Wow. Another vacation slap in the face. After being up all night to get to the Hacienda, and I didn't even deserve a welcome beverage. And boy, with the near hurricane weather on arrival day, I so badly needed it.

We were given a ground floor room, which was not my first choice, but it was in the building we have been in each year, and requested, so I lived with it. I also inquired about a change of room, but was told no. We met a fabulous couple day 1 at the bar who told us you can only move to an available Interval room, and there aren't usually very many. If no availability was true or not, I don't know. There are alot of vacant room this time of the year, but oh well.

I am also an owner at a Marriott property, but I've never felt like an outsider in any other property like I did at check-in this year. It was very poorly planned by Management. If they think this is a way to make their property more desireable, they are sadly mistaken. I was so upset I considered never returning, but my favorite waiter outside at the Aqua Bar (Juan Jose) quickly changed my mind about that! NOTE TO MANAGEMENT: You never know who may purchase at your property, and first impressions are HUGE for most people, especially in this recession. Making new customers feel like outsiders is not a great selling point. I would also point out that non-owners spend just as much money at your property as your owners (if not more). So I would STRONGLY suggest you re-think this new change before next year.

Moving on to the positives, and there are many. The property is beautiful, from the room on. The pools and beach are beautiful. We love the bar, and spend most of our time at the pool having tasty beverages and meeting new people. The bar staff is excellent, a main reason I return each year. September is hurricane season, so the first 3-4 days were VERY wet, but eventually the sun returned. The town is alot of fun, and easy to shuttle to. On 5th Avenue there is every possible shop, restaurant, or bar you may want.

I love this resort mainly because it is gorgeous, and you can just relax. Not alot of kids, which I also enjoy. And makes for a great romantic adult vacation. Happy hour prices are great, and we travel alot., so we've paid much more. The bar food is also great. My one comment, we wish the pool bars were open MUCH LATER and served food past 5 pm. This is always our main complaint, and granted it is minor, but there is really no place to "hang out" and socialize with other people unless you go to the lobby bar, and no one does. Your evening choices are the La Palma or the new steak house. Both have great food, but when I'm on vacation I would much rather have a cold beer and bar food. And the lower prices that go with it.

This year was the first time they had "events' in the evenings, and it was great. (Thank you Hacienda for listening to your customers). But no one knew about it! They had a live band that was FABULOUS! And there were 6 people in the room. They had karaoke the next night, maybe 20 people, but again, hardly anyone knew. How great if they advertised their events with maybe a newsletter? Or signs at the bars?

Long story short......we do love the Hacienda. If you want a crazy, event filled vacation, this is not the place for you. Try Cancun. But we love the staff, you can usually count on the weather, and the property is beautiful. Even with my sad and disappointing start, I will most likely return. And hopefully I will return to an employee with a warm smile, and a cold tasty beverage to welcome me!

Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Stayed at Royal Hacienda for a week in August 2010. What a wonderful resort! The rooms were amazing. The are several pools with two HUGE infinity pools. The villas have top grade furniture and extremely spacious and well laid out. Staff - amazing service, from front desk to ground keepers. Everyone greets you with a smile and go out of their way to help.

Location was very good. Only about 10 minutes from Playa.

One of the most impressive aspects of the resort is that it does NOT nickel-and-dime its guests. Parking is free. Rooms include free wi-fi and EVERYTHING at the sports desk is free, from noodles (for pool), to Snorkel Gears to even Kayaks! Food prices are also very reasonable, comparable to casual restaurants outside the resort. Finally, exchange rates at front desk is better than anywhere else you'll find in the currency exchange booths.

It's an incredibly well run resort and one of the best we've ever stayed. We were most impressed with the service, quality and integrity instilled into the entire hotel staff from top down.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank happytraveler999
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 September 2010

What a fantastic place. The employees are absolutly unbelivable for friendliness & service. Especially the front desk personnel & bellboys. The resort & grounds are imaculate and we get daily maid service (no extra charge) -- not just making beds, but cleaning floors -- everything including clean windows and fresh daily linen , soap, towels & completly furnished kitchen including diahwasher. Lots of planned activity -- you name it, they have it. Each villa has large terrace deck with table & chairs, plus a hot tub that the maid cleans daily. Outstanding orientation meeting with coffee & rolls. The water is triple filtered and even tasts good from the tap. The pools are fantastic and the resort is on the ocean -- just a few steps from the pool which meets up to the ocean. All villas have beautiful ocean & pool views. Several fantastic restaurants on site and Playa del Carmen only 1 1/2 miles away with free shuttle from the resort several times a day. Cozumel close by and can be seen from resort. Fantastic spa, exercise facility & tennis courts. A full 18 hole golf course is now being completed as part of the resort.

1 Thank LynneHemenway
New York
Reviewed 28 September 2010

My husband and I stayed in the Zona Hotelera in Cancun last year and wanted to stay closer to Playa del Carmen. We booked the Royal Haciendas through Interval International, so had a two bedroom suite, which was huge!

Firstly, we had booked a transfer from the airport through Thomas More and the van was waiting when we got out of the terminal, so that was very smooth. We were a bit early and didn't expect to be able to check in to our room until late in the afternoon. Our room was ready, however, and the staff was great about checking us in earlier than usual.

The rooms were spotless and very comfortably furnished. The balcony was my favorite - spacious, with very comfortable lounge chairs as well as a table and chairs where we had breakfast every morning! Then there's the hot tub! What a treat!

We only tried the restaurant by the pool, which was great for lunch and snacks. Very nice wraps and salads. We did shop at the store and made a light dinner a couple of nights, which was very handy after a long day.

The Thomas More tours were great, we went snorkeling in Akumal and visited the cenotes. Other days we took the ferry to Cozumel from Playa and took a taxi to Puerto Morelos.

I took one of the early morning yoga classes, which was great - next time I'll be sure to plan that into every day.

All in all, the Royal Haciendas was a great base for everything we wanted to do. We plan to go back early next year with my in-laws - can't wait!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sr_voyager
RR_Community_Manager, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for your comments! They are very important for us and help us serve you better.

I'm very happy to read you had such a great experience! Our staff's top priority is to always provide a world-class service to make you feel at your home away from home. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed many of the different activities we have available for our valued guests such as the Yoga classes and also had a chance to enjoy the quality tours Thomas More Travel provides.

Let me know in advance next time you plan to visit us so we can welcome you Royal Resorts style.

Please let me know if theres anything else I can do for you.

Warm regards from paradise,
Camilo Olea
Royal Resorts Community Manager
Seabrook, Texas
Reviewed 22 September 2010

My husband and I stayed here on an Interval International Timeshare Exchange. We own at Grand Luxxe and pay a fairly high Maintenance Fee, and when we decided to do a trade, I looked long and hard to try to get a place on the same caliber as our Resort.

As others have posted, the Resort is super-clean; the rooms, the grounds and the pool are all nice. We arrived on a Sat. afternoon around 2:30. Check-in is not until 4 so I figured we might not be able to get into our room immediately. That was OK. The first thing I noted was no Valet Parking. No big deal, we unloaded the car and I parked it. Yes, by the time a Bellman came out of the Lobby, we had the car unloaded. My husband went on in to register and that is where the FUN began. There was a desk set up where you had to go first and fill out a form. Then you had to get in the correct line, depending on if you were an owner or a trader. I have never seen anything like that before. The Lobby was packed with people; about 20 people in each line. For the 20 people checking in that were owners, the Resort had 5 clerks waiting on those people. For the 20 people in line who were traders, the Resort had 1 clerk checking us in. Some management type people were going up to the Owners, shaking their hands, taking some of them out of line and letting them sit to wait. The traders just stood in line. It was advertised that you would be greeted with a mixed drink. They had a bar set up offering margaritas and pina coladas. You had to go get in the drink line to get your free welcome drink. Other places have always brought them to us. We waited in line for 2 and a half hours, just standing. It took us longer to get checked in than it did to fly to Cancun from Houston. There has got to be a better way this place can figure out how to accomodate all their guests. We were told a Concierge would be at our beck-and call. We met him as we were standing in the 2 and a half hour line and we asked him if he knew what room we would be in. He showed us his computer sheet which showed us on the 4th floor. We were so happy because we love to sit out on the balcony and knew we would most probably have some privacy and be able to get a breeze. We did not expect to have a view since we were not an owner. When we finally got to the front of the line and the clerk started checking us in, the phone began to ring. The key cards to the rooms had stopped working and the other guests were calling to complain. Unfortunately the Resort didn't have a specifice person assigned to handle phone calls, so our clerk was answering the phone, helping the phone guests and not being able to wait on us. We stood in front of him while he answered 5 phone calls and we were about to explode. Then we finally got down to getting our room assignment. He told us we were on the first floor. We explained to him that the Concierge had us listed on the 4th, and he told us our Concierge didn't know what he was talking about. (We had seen the paper that the Concierge had with our name and room number typed on it.) We knew we didn't want the ground floor. It was also next to the Kiddie Pool. We have no children and do not go on vacations to be near or have to hear screaming kids. We also knew we would not have a balcony, but just a patio. No privacy whatsoever. Sidewalk right out in front and no chance of a breeze. We told the clerk we wanted another room. View was not important but we wanted on a higher floor. He said no, that was it. We told him there had to be another room available, and he said no. We went back and forth and told him we wanted to speak to his Supervisor. He told us he was busy but if we wanted to wait that we could but that it would do us no good, that he wouldn't give us another room either. So we sat in the Lobby and waited. The Supervisor came out and tried to explain they could not change our room and then he said if we would wait some more he would go see what he could do. We waited another 10 minutes or so and he came back and told us, "No, you cannot get another room." He said he would call us on Monday and at that time they could move us to another room. He said they had to wait through the weekend to make sure everyone showed up. Didn't understand the reasoning but had to accept it. So they gave us the card keys that did not work and we asked how we were to get in our room. The clerk told us someone from Housekeeping would be in the halls of each floor to let people into their rooms. Then we asked where was our room? He gave us directions, (no one there to escort us to our room). So we walked and walked and finally found our room number. On the 1st floor there are no halls and no one in sight to let us in our room. We stood there a minute and I then went out looking for help. I walked and walked, and finally found someone from Housekeeping.

We got in our room, the Concierge came by and gave us a gift that the Resort gives to guests. Each of us opened it up and it was little bottles of shampoo and lotion. Isn't this a standard item that even the cheapest hotel/motels have in their rooms? What a gift!! He was on his way after he told us about an Orientation Meeting that we should attend the next morning. I had decided this was going to be a resting vacation and did not want to have to go to a Meeting Room at a set time and listen to how great the place was. This is also where the timeshare salesmen were meeting the traders. We called for our baggage, the Bellman brought it up, put it in our bedroom and left. He explained nothing like most Bellmen do about how everything functions in the room. We were exhausted and decided we wanted a drink.. We had brought some Vodka and went to put it in the freezer to get cold and the refrigerator was not working. The refrigerator part smelled bad from being closed up and not on. We checked it out, looked for switches and could not see the problem. We called for Maintenance help and sat down. No one came within about 15 minutes so we decided to pull the refrigerator out from the wall and crawl behind it and discovered it was not even plugged in. So we got it plugged in, back in its spot and it cooled down by the next morning. Maintenance never came or called. On Monday, the Front Desk Supervisor was to move us to another room and we never heard from him. We decided to just stay there since everything was already unpacked. There were very few kids using the Kiddie Pool but there were kids next door to us who brought their frisbees and decided the yard in front of our room was also theirs. We didn't get a breeze and had no privacy. On the ground floor the patio doors locked everytime you went outside and closed them. We learned that after getting locked out. It would have been nice if someone would have told us about that. The Resort looked to be at 50% capacity. Many dark rooms every night. I don't know how they assign rooms but know they could have been better at accommodating us. The Key Card problem did get corrected by the next day.

We realized the Concierge was there to try to get us to the Timeshare Meeting. My husband was dying to tell someone of the problems we had had and the Concierge said he could set up a meeting with a fellow so we could talk to him. My husband went to see this person and realized this was the timeshare guy. He wasn't even interested in the problems. Said we would be able to fill out a Resort Evaluation at the end of our stay. He tried to offer us a week's stay for $875. to come back. My husband sat there for 45 minutes listening to this guy and finally said he was leaving. He was supposed to receive a Beach Bag for going but did not get it. He called the Concierge when he got back to the room and he brought it to us.

It was Mexico Independence Day during the week and our Concierge told us there was going to be a big Fiesta type celebration and we decided to stay at the Resort that night and attend. The flyer showed fireworks, mariachis, dancers, etc. It ws to be an open bar and buffet. The price was not cheap and when we went to find where it was we discovered it was just the nightime buffet in the Restaurant. The waiters were dressed up and there were some men walking through the Restaurant singing but that was it. We couldn't drink enough or eat enough to justify the price. We were disappointed in their celebration.

Even though all these things happened, we did have a good vacation. The Maid Staff and Pool Staff were cordial. There were no ice machines at the Resort but they did have filtered water which was a big plus and we had to make our own ice.

We felt the Lobby Management treated the Traders as step-children. I have never been somewhere where I was singled out as a trader and then have 1/5th the number of people available to wait on me. Because of our Check-in nightmare, and the refusal of Management to try to get us another room, or to even call like they said they would, and to never hear from Maintenance, we would never recommend this place to any Timeshare traders.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PartyMartiniHouse
RR_Community_Manager, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 October 2010
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for your comments, they are very important for us and help us serve you better.

I'm sorry to read about your bad experience. Here at The Royal Resorts we follow up every complain until we leave our guest satisfied; I contacted the Royal Haciendas General Manager, Sandra Aguilar, and this is what she had to say:

“Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experience at our Resort, I am looking forward to personally offer an apology and provide feedback on your detailed review, which gives us the great opportunity to improve the quality on the services we provide.

THE CHECK IN EXPERIENCE: We have already taken action and reinforced the manual procedures in order to provide the same 5 star check in experience with or without system. You are totally correct, we are here to serve you and ease up your registration process, we are aware that our owners and guests expect to spend very little time in our lobby upon arrival, and we are here to make it happen!

MANAGER’S ASSISTANCE TO SWITCH ROOM ASSIGNMENT: I have shared your comments with my executive committee which includes our Managers on duty; they both were very sorry of not being able to make the switch happen, I understand the confusion of seeing 25% of the Resort available and not being able to use one of those empty units, I would only like to mention, that Royal Resorts is one of the few Resorts that offers fixed time share, if an owner does not show to use his unit we are not entitled to use it if it was not previously banked in one of the programs offered; this, as an owner of Royal Resorts has a great value since you can totally trust your unit will only be used based on what you decide to, if in the last minute you decide to lend it to friends or relatives you can have all the confidence that they will be registered in your unit, and if the unit is used at the last minute, you will be receiving the proceeds of the rental fee.

This might limit the Management when it comes to relocating non-member reservations, but it definitely enhances the value of your membership as an owner at Royal Resorts. Definitely the fact of not receiving the follow up call is not acceptable based on our guest service standards, and actions were also taken to prevent it from happening to future guests.

CONCIERGE SERVICE: Your Personal concierge was assigned to make your stay more enjoyable, we are very sorry to hear it was not even close to this goal. We are constantly providing intense training to our staff and we will reinforce the areas that are pointed out in your kind review; believe me, we will do anything that needs to be done to prevent a situation like this in the future.

On behalf of Royal Resorts Management, I would like to offer our deepest apology for this experience. We are meant to providing friendly and personalized service, looking for our main reward, your satisfaction; this is your home and we are here to make sure your time is spent in unforgettable experiences with your family and friends.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we will make it worth it!.”

Please let me know if theres anything else I can do for you.

Warm regards from paradise,