El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
US$379
US$281
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
The Reef Coco Beach(Playa del Carmen)
US$196
US$387
US$344
Melia.com
Great 4.5/5
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
US$196
US$190
Great 4.5/5
Iberostar Tucan Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$335
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Viceroy Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$816
US$796
Great 4.5/5
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$922
Excellent 5/5
US$354
US$320
1,483 results
All reviewsbeach clubfishing boatscondo hotelhot tubindigo restaurantwhite noise machinebedroom penthousewasher and dryerfull kitchenrooftop terracebeautiful condorecommend elwater coolerlight sleeperrestaurants and shopsprivate balconybeach chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Just had a long girls weekend to celebrate a birthday. The hotel provided the perfect place - great location, great rooms, great staff. Absolutely no complaints. Already thinking about the next excuse to visit El Taj!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My family and I stayed in El Taj Oceanfront Unit 320 from July 30-August 6. First, I just have to echo all the previous comments about the beauty of the building, the pools, the common areas, etc. Our daughters adored the koi ponds and the very different feel of the pools at Oceanfront and Beachside. Despite the gorgeous beach view from the pool at Oceanfront, I preferred the quiet, peaceful feel - as well as the shady coolness - of the beachside pool. Neither pool was too crowded the week we were there and they were a nice break from the beach.

The beach was very nice as well. I am one of those guests who enjoyed the boats being moored there on the beach. I thought they were picturesque and interesting - one day one of the boats brought in a huge snapper and the whole beach - including the employees of most of the hotels - gathered around to ogle the fish! One of my daughters caught the snorkeling bug this trip and she and my husband had a great time swimming out past the boats to snorkle - they saw a lot of fish and even an octopus trying to hide in a hole. My only complaint about the beach is just that it is a little loud and crowded for my taste, but I could have walked or taken a taxi a ways north or south and avoided the crowds and noise and it didn't bother me enough to do that. Just know that this is a people-watching, music-playing kind of beach experience rather than a peaceful, listen to the waves kind of experience. Indigo Beach Club at El Taj was wonderful. The staff was attentive and courteous - they'd even notice that the sun was moving and come move my umbrella without being asked! Being brought a drink and having the gorgeous view to stare at definitely helped to make up for the slightly crowded feel. I'd recommend getting to the beach early enough to get a chair or bed on the front row of the rows of chairs because that also helped a lot.

All of our interactions with the staff - Hector and Theresa - were pleasant and our couple of requests were quickly met. Unit 320 was beautiful and very well appointed. We didn't notice noise from the clubs at night except in the master bathroom and that didn't bother us at all. It is really amazing how well insulated the rooms are when you realize just how loud the music from the nearby club is! We did notice loud singing, laughing, talking from fellow guests that lasted until 4 a.m. one night, but it was just the once and we drowned them out with a fan. We enjoyed the penthouse terrace that came with our room, but debated whether we really used it enough to make it worthwhile for us. I think it would be perfect for a large group or for someone who wanted to host other friends, etc., but it was just the four of us and we never did use the grill or the table up there other than to do a puzzle and play some games. We enjoyed the hot tub - especially at night when the view of Cozumel was breathtaking - but we might forego the terrace when we go back.

We loved having the kitchen and shopping at Mega and Walmart and being able to fend for ourselves a little bit was part of the adventure for us. We loved being able to explore Playa and find our own favorite restaurants,etc. This location just can't be beat. I won't go into details about everything we did, but we loved Era Ora, Carboncitos, and El Fogon the most of the restaurants we found - we also loved La Buena Vida at Akumal for the ambience.

Overall, we'd highly recommend El Taj!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mseldga
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stay in el taj hotel! It was one of the best vication I ever been.the service was perfect,they clean the room lick a new one.u must go ther...

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We had a wonderful weeklong vacation at El Taj in July. It was the home away from home it claims to be! We stayed in unit 344 oceanside with an ocean view. The unit was a nice size and my two kids had their own bedroom. You can save a little by staying across the street (beachside) and it's a short walk through the oceanside building to the beach. Our unit was immaculate and had everything we needed. Our reservation included the free breakfast promotion. There was so much food that we didn't need to eat lunch! We chose to cook in our condo most evenings and had dinner in Playa twice. The Mega grocery store had everything we needed... very similar to the US. We chose to rent a car at the airport and were very glad we did. El Taj has free underground parking. Having the car allowed us more freedom to do the excursions. We drove to Xplor, Akumal beach (to snorkel with the turtles and rays) and Tulum. In Tulum we hired a guide from Edventure tours (check out their website) who took us snorkeling in Dos Ojos Cenote (the highlight of my trip), to Akumal and to Yal-Ku lagoon. He jumped right in our car and we drove to the sights. The beach club at El Taj was wonderful. The waiters there work their butts off to provide great service. The beach in front of the resort was low key and less crowded compared to other resorts we walked past. I would definitely return to El Taj and would recommend it to my family and friends. This would be a great location for an extended family vacation or reunion.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank monden
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My wife, two teenagers, and I, had a great, three-week stay at El Taj Oceanfront and look forward to a return visit!

El Taj is a very stunning and spectacularly designed condo/hotel in an extremely convenient location in Playa del Carmen, right on the beach and very close – but not too close (!) – to 5th Avenue.

We spent our first 9 days in unit 320, a two-bedroom penthouse suite located at the southwest corner of the building at the ‘back’. When I say ‘back’, I don’t mean this to be a negative. In fact, in my opinion this is a very positive feature as this particular unit is physically separated from any adjacent suites, i.e. no walls are shared with any neighbours and the suite is away from the action of the restaurant and beach club located at the ‘front’ of the building.

Unit 320 is very well appointed and outfitted with all that one could possibly need. The kitchen has every sort of gadget and appliance anyone would ever require and the living area is very cozy with a great flat-screen tv and dvd player with a great sound system. The master bedroom is very well furnished with a great, double-sink ensuite bathroom. The other bedroom had two twin beds that our teenagers had to share before we would be moving to finish our stay in unit 325, an adjacent 3-bedroom penthouse unit. Due to relatively late booking, i.e. 3 months of so in advance of our stay, we were not able to secure the 3-bedroom unit for our entire stay. As it was, our two teenagers got along fine sharing the room… at least for most of the time! The suite has a stacking washer/dryer that was very convenient to have and was well used during our stay. The rooftop terrace is amazing with lush, tropical landscaping, a large thatched-roof shaded area, trellis, barbeque, counter, fridge, outdoor shower and hot tub Jacuzzi. We found the Jacuzzi to be a tad to warm at 105°F but very nice after we set it to 95°! The views from the rooftop terrace are amazing!

Our move into the 3-bedroom penthouse unit 325 was very easy to accomplish since it is adjacent to, but separate, from unit 320. The front desk arranged a late check-out for us from 320 and an early check-in to 325, which meant that we simply had to move our belongings from one suite to another without having to pack everything up – a few quick trips and we were done!

Unit 325 was very similar in design to 320, but it didn’t quite have the high level of coziness and intimacy that our first unit had – this would appear to have been from the willingness of the owner of unit 320 to leave out decorative bowls, paintings, additional furnishings, etc. and to provide a slightly higher quality and quantity of electronics in their suite for the use of guests then the owner of 325 was willing to do. Having said that, 325 was still very nice – of prime importance was the additional bedroom that allowed our kids to each have their own rooms, tv’s, temperature control, etc. Speaking of temperature control, both suites had air conditioning, which was very welcome, but the a/c units for 325 were considerably louder than those in 320 – but this is just quibbling as the sound level was relatively okay – it was simply quieter in 325. The roof terrace was very similar to that of our first unit, i.e. top marks all around.

Some reviews mention noise from the nearby outdoor discos and we did notice the noise, but not to any level that caused us loss of sleep. Why the nearby clubs feel the need to try to out-decibel-level each other is beyond me… but then again my club-hopping days are long gone.

Due to the length of our stay, we were provided with complimentary breakfast at the restaurant, complimentary beach club use, and complimentary use of the fitness centre. All of these features were top notch. The breakfast featured an extensive cold breakfast buffet with granola, yoghurt, fruit, toast, cakes, etc. and a selection of hot made-to-order entrees that included any style of eggs, bacon, and a few Mexican-style breakfast offerings. We ate at a table on the beach under palm trees and parasols every morning with an amazingly friendly and attentive staff. I can’t remember all of their names but they were all great to us!

The beach club staff are fantastic and would assist us each day with setting us up with beach chairs, parasols, and towels. The guys would reposition the parasols throughout the day to ensure that everyone got the level of shade protection they desired while the restaurant staff would provide beachside drink and food service – it was amazing! The restaurant serves delicious food with a particularly fantastic pizza! The white sand beach is beautiful, the water is warm and inviting, and the fresh-water pools in the condo/hotel are refreshing.

The gym is very well fitted out and we understand that it is going to be expanded. I would have liked to made use of a rowing machine, but this is simply a minor point.

The famed 5th Avenue is very close by and yet sufficiently removed to not be a distraction. There are a multitude of restaurants on 5th Avenue or just a few blocks further afield. We particularly enjoyed Era Ora, El Fogon and Ah Cacao.

In summary, El Taj is absolutely amazing and we miss it already… and it’s only been two days since we left! There is very little room left for improvement at El Taj – from what we saw and experienced during our stay, the management and staff are committed to making the place absolutely perfect! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family