“Just booked unit #336 for Feb 2012”

El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
Ranked #43 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 26 August 2011

BIG TIP OF THE DAY.......Book over phone for 2012 stays. Here is the deal I just got: they are having a promotion for advance booking for next year and even though I am going in peak season Feb. I still got an additional 10% discount. So 1st you get a 10% discount for any stay 7 days or more and then you get another 10% if you call on phone and ask for the promo. You also will get free breakfast passes for the # of guests your room sleeps. Hope this helps someone.

Very excited to try out this new resort. Went to Playa about 15 years ago and had no interest in going back until I stumbled onto this place. Going to take my daughter 1st time scuba diving in Cozumel (which is on the top 10 world list for best reefs to dive). Cozumel is just a ferry ride from Playa and is a nice Island to explore on mopeds where you can go to the National ocean parks and snorkel or just check out the island. Montezuma's Revenge is in the water there and I got it last time by drinking a frozen Margarita (bad idea). It lasts about 1 week of strong diarrhea, mild nausea and no appetite. I never really got over it for several months. The symptoms got much less severe after the 1st week. So be careful about what you drink over there. I will write up a full report and post some great detailed pics of the master penthouse suite #336 that I am told is direct front beach on 4th floor and has the roof top outdoor kitchen/grill and jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Book on phone 10% discount for 7 or more days stay and another 10% for early 2012 bookings w/free br...
Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Dawson-J
There are newer reviews for El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel

Reviewed 16 August 2011

My husband and I just returned a few days ago from El Taj Oceanfront and really have nothing to complain about and would definitely go again. We are big travelers and have been lots of places and El Taj ranks among one of the top. This was our first time staying at a Condo/Hotel and we loved the experience and all it had to offer. It's like being at a boutique hotel, yet you have so much space to yourself!

The staff was wonderful, very helpful and accommodating. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit on the main level (unit 347) and were very impressed with how clean, modern, and comfortable it was. We loved having an evening cocktail on our patio surrounded by the lush landscaping and right near the koi pond & fountain. It was so relaxing and just what we needed.

We weren't bothered by any noise from the clubs or street as some other reviews posted, but we could sometimes hear the family above us when they would move the chairs around inside their unit.

We had breakfast at Indigo Beach Club included in our stay and we have to say that it was quite good. My husband tried a different egg dish each morning - he loved the variety while I loved that Roger remembered my special order without me even having to say anything. We also had lunch there a couple of times - we recommend the pizza.

The beach is the only thing that isn't totally great because of the boats anchored right out front, but nothing is perfect in life. We still loved sitting on the comfy lounge chairs & beds and having yummy drinks served to us. If we wanted to go for a swim in the sea, we just walked a short distance to either side and the water was fine. The pool at El Taj is wonderful, perfect water temp and a beautiful, elegant design.

We recommend renting a car through the concierge and going to the beach at Akumal one day - you can rent snorkel gear and see the sea turtles. The beach there is also very beautiful and you can pack a color and spend the day. There are restaurants and toilets there too in case you want some creature comforts. Only about 10 mins from Akumal is Yal ku lagoon where you can go for some great snorkeling.

It is also an easy walk or cab ride to either Wal-Mart or Mega. We went to both and I have to say I was super impressed with the Wal-Mart. I despise Wal-Marts in the US and avoid them at all costs so I was reluctant to go to one in Mexico. Well, let me tell you that it was so clean, organized and the people were very helpful. They had a large selection of products and you could get pretty much anything you need from alcohol to food to floats for the sea.

You should also go to Era Ora for dinner at least one night. Amazing home made pasta and delicious brick oven pizza. The staff is also great and the owners are wonderful.

Hope you decide to visit and hope this review helped!

Room Tip: Try to stay at the Oeanside, apparently it is quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Danielle C
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I took our family on a trip to Playa del Carmen. We chose El Taj due to the outstanding reviews we read here on TripAdvisor. We could not have been more pleased. The facilities are amazing and the whole staff was wonderful. We were treated like royalty the entire week. I would definitely recommend El Taj to anyone traveling to Playa del Carmen. You are close to everything and the excursions to other areas are easily planned through Teresa (concierge). We took a trip to Xel Ha to allow the kids to snorkel, Teresa planned out everything for travel. Also, thank you to Hector at the front desk for helping us the entire week and scheduling our trips back and forth to the Cancun airport. Would also like to thank all of the staff at the Indigo Beach Club, especially Florentino (Chao), Carlos, and Mike. These guys do an amazing job of taking care of you out on the beach.

4  Thank Toothdoc1228
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We were fortunate to rent a 3br oceanfront unit for the 5 of us as a group family Christmas gift. We had a great time and enjoyed walking 5th Avenue everynight.

This place is wonderful, BUT it is located in the Hot Zone....So if you like sleeping at night, be warned that the clubs are open until 5am. Bring earplugs or go join the crowds who are dancing in the streets to the techno music.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank linker
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Just returned from a 4-night stay at El Taj Condo Oceanfront. We had a lovely 3-bedroom/2 bath accommodations (unit 350).

The rooms were nicely furnished & the kitchen fully equipped. Unit included washer & dryer, flat screen TVs in all rooms and small balconies, all with a beach/oceanview. The A/C worked very well. Our rental also included a rooftop patio with hot tub, gas BBQ grill, sink, refrigerator and plenty of seating/eating space that could serve a fairly large party.

Pools were clean and appealing & the beach & ocean access were well maintained & beautiful. Lovely landscaping around pools & rooftop terraces.

A great location in town within 2 blocks of 5th Ave for shopping & dining, but still felt very private, quiet & secure. We walked approx. 6 blocks to Mega for groceries and also walked back. But plenty of taxis in front of the store if your purchases are too heavy to carry.

We received excellent assistance from concierge, Teresa, and from the front desk & housekeeping staff.

Would recommend, but would suggest visiting at a different time of year. The heat in August was brutal & limited the time we spent enjoying all Playa has to offer.

3  Thank sheknits
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Just had a long girls weekend to celebrate a birthday. The hotel provided the perfect place - great location, great rooms, great staff. Absolutely no complaints. Already thinking about the next excuse to visit El Taj!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My family and I stayed in El Taj Oceanfront Unit 320 from July 30-August 6. First, I just have to echo all the previous comments about the beauty of the building, the pools, the common areas, etc. Our daughters adored the koi ponds and the very different feel of the pools at Oceanfront and Beachside. Despite the gorgeous beach view from the pool at Oceanfront, I preferred the quiet, peaceful feel - as well as the shady coolness - of the beachside pool. Neither pool was too crowded the week we were there and they were a nice break from the beach.

The beach was very nice as well. I am one of those guests who enjoyed the boats being moored there on the beach. I thought they were picturesque and interesting - one day one of the boats brought in a huge snapper and the whole beach - including the employees of most of the hotels - gathered around to ogle the fish! One of my daughters caught the snorkeling bug this trip and she and my husband had a great time swimming out past the boats to snorkle - they saw a lot of fish and even an octopus trying to hide in a hole. My only complaint about the beach is just that it is a little loud and crowded for my taste, but I could have walked or taken a taxi a ways north or south and avoided the crowds and noise and it didn't bother me enough to do that. Just know that this is a people-watching, music-playing kind of beach experience rather than a peaceful, listen to the waves kind of experience. Indigo Beach Club at El Taj was wonderful. The staff was attentive and courteous - they'd even notice that the sun was moving and come move my umbrella without being asked! Being brought a drink and having the gorgeous view to stare at definitely helped to make up for the slightly crowded feel. I'd recommend getting to the beach early enough to get a chair or bed on the front row of the rows of chairs because that also helped a lot.

All of our interactions with the staff - Hector and Theresa - were pleasant and our couple of requests were quickly met. Unit 320 was beautiful and very well appointed. We didn't notice noise from the clubs at night except in the master bathroom and that didn't bother us at all. It is really amazing how well insulated the rooms are when you realize just how loud the music from the nearby club is! We did notice loud singing, laughing, talking from fellow guests that lasted until 4 a.m. one night, but it was just the once and we drowned them out with a fan. We enjoyed the penthouse terrace that came with our room, but debated whether we really used it enough to make it worthwhile for us. I think it would be perfect for a large group or for someone who wanted to host other friends, etc., but it was just the four of us and we never did use the grill or the table up there other than to do a puzzle and play some games. We enjoyed the hot tub - especially at night when the view of Cozumel was breathtaking - but we might forego the terrace when we go back.

We loved having the kitchen and shopping at Mega and Walmart and being able to fend for ourselves a little bit was part of the adventure for us. We loved being able to explore Playa and find our own favorite restaurants,etc. This location just can't be beat. I won't go into details about everything we did, but we loved Era Ora, Carboncitos, and El Fogon the most of the restaurants we found - we also loved La Buena Vida at Akumal for the ambience.

Overall, we'd highly recommend El Taj!

2  Thank mseldga