El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$397
US$318
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
Melia.com
US$656
US$506
BlueBay
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,076
US$551
US$723
HotelsClick
1,483 results
All reviewsbeach clubfishing boatscondo hotelhot tubindigo restaurantwhite noise machinebedroom penthousewasher and dryerfull kitchenrooftop terracebeautiful condorecommend elwater coolerlight sleeperrestaurants and shopsprivate balconybeach chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2011

BIG TIP OF THE DAY.......Book over phone for 2012 stays. Here is the deal I just got: they are having a promotion for advance booking for next year and even though I am going in peak season Feb. I still got an additional 10% discount. So 1st you get a 10% discount for any stay 7 days or more and then you get another 10% if you call on phone and ask for the promo. You also will get free breakfast passes for the # of guests your room sleeps. Hope this helps someone.

Very excited to try out this new resort. Went to Playa about 15 years ago and had no interest in going back until I stumbled onto this place. Going to take my daughter 1st time scuba diving in Cozumel (which is on the top 10 world list for best reefs to dive). Cozumel is just a ferry ride from Playa and is a nice Island to explore on mopeds where you can go to the National ocean parks and snorkel or just check out the island. Montezuma's Revenge is in the water there and I got it last time by drinking a frozen Margarita (bad idea). It lasts about 1 week of strong diarrhea, mild nausea and no appetite. I never really got over it for several months. The symptoms got much less severe after the 1st week. So be careful about what you drink over there. I will write up a full report and post some great detailed pics of the master penthouse suite #336 that I am told is direct front beach on 4th floor and has the roof top outdoor kitchen/grill and jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Book on phone 10% discount for 7 or more days stay and another 10% for early 2012 bookings w/free breakfast also
Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Dawson-J
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My husband and I just returned a few days ago from El Taj Oceanfront and really have nothing to complain about and would definitely go again. We are big travelers and have been lots of places and El Taj ranks among one of the top. This was our first time staying at a Condo/Hotel and we loved the experience and all it had to offer. It's like being at a boutique hotel, yet you have so much space to yourself!

The staff was wonderful, very helpful and accommodating. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit on the main level (unit 347) and were very impressed with how clean, modern, and comfortable it was. We loved having an evening cocktail on our patio surrounded by the lush landscaping and right near the koi pond & fountain. It was so relaxing and just what we needed.

We weren't bothered by any noise from the clubs or street as some other reviews posted, but we could sometimes hear the family above us when they would move the chairs around inside their unit.

We had breakfast at Indigo Beach Club included in our stay and we have to say that it was quite good. My husband tried a different egg dish each morning - he loved the variety while I loved that Roger remembered my special order without me even having to say anything. We also had lunch there a couple of times - we recommend the pizza.

The beach is the only thing that isn't totally great because of the boats anchored right out front, but nothing is perfect in life. We still loved sitting on the comfy lounge chairs & beds and having yummy drinks served to us. If we wanted to go for a swim in the sea, we just walked a short distance to either side and the water was fine. The pool at El Taj is wonderful, perfect water temp and a beautiful, elegant design.

We recommend renting a car through the concierge and going to the beach at Akumal one day - you can rent snorkel gear and see the sea turtles. The beach there is also very beautiful and you can pack a color and spend the day. There are restaurants and toilets there too in case you want some creature comforts. Only about 10 mins from Akumal is Yal ku lagoon where you can go for some great snorkeling.

It is also an easy walk or cab ride to either Wal-Mart or Mega. We went to both and I have to say I was super impressed with the Wal-Mart. I despise Wal-Marts in the US and avoid them at all costs so I was reluctant to go to one in Mexico. Well, let me tell you that it was so clean, organized and the people were very helpful. They had a large selection of products and you could get pretty much anything you need from alcohol to food to floats for the sea.

You should also go to Era Ora for dinner at least one night. Amazing home made pasta and delicious brick oven pizza. The staff is also great and the owners are wonderful.

Hope you decide to visit and hope this review helped!

Room Tip: Try to stay at the Oeanside, apparently it is quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Danielle C
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I took our family on a trip to Playa del Carmen. We chose El Taj due to the outstanding reviews we read here on TripAdvisor. We could not have been more pleased. The facilities are amazing and the whole staff was wonderful. We were treated like royalty the entire week. I would definitely recommend El Taj to anyone traveling to Playa del Carmen. You are close to everything and the excursions to other areas are easily planned through Teresa (concierge). We took a trip to Xel Ha to allow the kids to snorkel, Teresa planned out everything for travel. Also, thank you to Hector at the front desk for helping us the entire week and scheduling our trips back and forth to the Cancun airport. Would also like to thank all of the staff at the Indigo Beach Club, especially Florentino (Chao), Carlos, and Mike. These guys do an amazing job of taking care of you out on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Toothdoc1228
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We were fortunate to rent a 3br oceanfront unit for the 5 of us as a group family Christmas gift. We had a great time and enjoyed walking 5th Avenue everynight.

This place is wonderful, BUT it is located in the Hot Zone....So if you like sleeping at night, be warned that the clubs are open until 5am. Bring earplugs or go join the crowds who are dancing in the streets to the techno music.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank linker
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Just returned from a 4-night stay at El Taj Condo Oceanfront. We had a lovely 3-bedroom/2 bath accommodations (unit 350).

The rooms were nicely furnished & the kitchen fully equipped. Unit included washer & dryer, flat screen TVs in all rooms and small balconies, all with a beach/oceanview. The A/C worked very well. Our rental also included a rooftop patio with hot tub, gas BBQ grill, sink, refrigerator and plenty of seating/eating space that could serve a fairly large party.

Pools were clean and appealing & the beach & ocean access were well maintained & beautiful. Lovely landscaping around pools & rooftop terraces.

A great location in town within 2 blocks of 5th Ave for shopping & dining, but still felt very private, quiet & secure. We walked approx. 6 blocks to Mega for groceries and also walked back. But plenty of taxis in front of the store if your purchases are too heavy to carry.

We received excellent assistance from concierge, Teresa, and from the front desk & housekeeping staff.

Would recommend, but would suggest visiting at a different time of year. The heat in August was brutal & limited the time we spent enjoying all Playa has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family