We had a very enjoyable week at El Taj in March 2011. The weather was great, and although it was the spring break timeframe, the place was not overcrowded. In fact we had the small pool outside our "beachside" condo to ourselves most of the time. All the other earlier reviews on this place were exactly accurate as to the benefits and downsides of the two different buildings of this resort. We stayed in Apt 307 in the "Beachside" building, which is definitely not on the beach, but is just a quick walk away through the other "Oceanfront" building. We did not find that problematic in the least, but if you are hoping to see the ocean from your apartment or walk right from your apartment onto the beach, you do not want to be in the Beachside building. None of the upper level apartments in the Oceanfront building were available when we rented, so we rented instead Apt 307 in the Beachside building, and it was exactly what we expected - stylish, clean, two nice size bedrooms, very comfortable beds in each, two well appointed bathrooms, and a very useful kitchen and living area, as well a nice outdoor space overlooking the small pool for that building. We did have a problem with the air conditioning in the master bedroom for much of the stay, and I'm not sure they really fixed it by the time we left, but the other airconditioning units worked very well. Although the Beachside building pool is right next to the street, it is surrounded by jungle plantings, so you feel as if you are much more private setting than it actually is. This is not one of those oceanside full-service resorts with large beachfront property of its own. The beach outside the Oceanside building is actually just part of the long public beach that runs along an assortment of restaurants, bars and hotels in Playa del Carmen (although the El Taj does have a very small area with its own chiase lounges and a small beach restaurant). The one downside to the beach at El Taj is that the swimming area is essentially non-existent because the many fishing/tourist boats anchor right at the beach, taking up almost all the swimming area. We walked about 3 minutes down the beach to swim, which was not a big deal for us, but if you have young children and are looking for a beach area outside your resort where your kids could run in and out of the water easily while you watch them from you lounge chair - this is not the set-up for you. This is a small complex in downtown Playa del Carmen, very convenient to all the restaurants and shops. If you are looking for total beach seclusion, this isn't the place for you. But if you want to be centrally located, near the beach and have a modern, comfortable apartment with kitchen rather than a small hotel room, this place is perfect. If we went back, I would want to try to get one of the upper level apartments overlooking the ocean in the Oceanside building for a different experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Taj Condo Hotel consists of 57 spacious condos situated on 2 separate properties in front of the beach. El Taj oceanfront is directly on the beach and El Taj Beachside is across the street. Guests get to use all the on site amenities including our exclusive beach club. We offer 2 incredible heated pools. The relaxing heated pool on Beachside property is an exotic black mosaic infinity pool with an extra large Jacuzzi while the oceanfront heated pool sits right on the beach in front of our exclusive beach club. We're located in the most liveliest area of Playa that offers the convenience of having the best restaurants, nightlife and shopping within one block from your vacation home.Each Condominium offers expansive floor plans and superb finishes. The Beachside condos have private terraces that are surrounded by exotic plants, Lilly ponds and all face the pool and cascading waterfalls. All the penthouse units in El Taj Beachside feature ocean views from the private roof decks. All the oceanfront units have views of the ocean.Each condo comes with fully equipped kitchens and the finest details including flat screen TVs in all the rooms. We provide the same services usually associated with some of the finest hotels. Our designers traveled the globe to Indonesia trying to recreate an environment reminiscent to Bali. . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Taj Oceanfront And Beachside Condo Hotel
- El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen