El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
Bookit.com
US$467
US$227
Melia.com
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$320
US$310
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$276
US$268
US$605
US$587
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$413
US$344
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$564
US$415
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
US$211
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$806
US$702
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,434
US$940
Bookit.com
1,495 results
All reviewsbeach clubfishing boatscondo hotelhot tubindigo restaurantwhite noise machinebedroom penthousewasher and dryerfull kitchenrooftop terracebeautiful condorecommend elwater coolerlight sleeperrestaurants and shopsprivate balconybeach chairs
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My husband and I visited El Taj for one week and cannot wait to return. This was our first time staying at this property; however, we have rented several other condos in Playa. We wanted to give El Taj a try as the reviews have been wonderful and the condos have been explained to be much more luxurious than others we have rented. We were not disappointed. Upon arrival the front desk staff were extremely thorough and offered a detailed explanation of the services offered at their property followed by a tour of our condo. We booked unit 357, a 2 bedroom (north side) oceanfront penthouse. We made this reservation directly with El Taj via their website. I highly recommend booking in this way if you are particular or would like to know exactly which unit you are reserving (which I was). The pictures online are accurate. The “oceanfront” units are in the main building located directly on the beach. The “beachside” units are in a separate building located directly behind (across a street) the oceanfront building. We very much preferred the oceanfront building and pool area. There is not one negative comment I have on unit 357. The bedrooms both had comfortable beds/linens with ample closet space and a bonus of a washer and dryer in unit. We were very pleased to find a reasonably priced honor bar set up in the kitchen with everything we needed to get our vacation started (beer, rum, tequila, wine, coffee & supplies, milk, juice, soda, and snacks). My husband and I enjoy cooking and were very impressed with the quality of kitchen equipment (pans, utensils, plates, glasses, etc.) and appliances. One of our favorite aspects of the condo were the multiple outdoor spaces that were all usable and well designed. The rooftop space with grill, hot tub, and dining area was incredibly private and well worth the extra cost per night. The Wi-Fi worked fantastic everywhere in our condo – even throughout all of our outdoor spaces. The one issue many people have mentioned is the bass and noise from the clubs and bars nearby. We really only noticed this on Saturday night when it seemed the music was turned up considerably. Earplugs worked like a charm and we did not have trouble sleeping.

The amenities at El Taj were excellent. We enjoyed breakfast several mornings at Indigo Beach Club. There was a nice variety of full breakfast dishes plus a small but ample buffet with breads, cereals, yogurt, and fruit. You can’t beat waking up and having breakfast with your feet in the sand! The beach club overall exceeded our expectations. There were always chairs/beds/umbrellas available and the drink service was excellent. There are several fishing boats in the water directly in front of the property; however, we had no issues getting into the water around the boats. The boats were not an annoyance or deterrent for us as the sand and water are still beautiful with or without boats sharing the beach. We also ordered room service one evening from Indigo and were very pleased with the speed and quality of food delivered. Room service is a great amenity most condo hotels do not offer. Finally, the pool right next to the beach entrance in the oceanfront property was an oasis to say the least. Overall I would highly recommend staying at El Taj if you are looking for amenities of a resort along with a luxurious and spacious private condo.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PlayaChicago
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed in the partial ocean view room which wasn't really ocean view but to be honest the ocean was right there so we didn't mind at all. The rooms were spacious and gorgeous - the chocolate all natural bath products were an exceptional touch as well. The pool and beach club were fantastic and we received brilliant service from the staff at the beach club (especially Alfredo) and the concierge were incredibly helpful. We have been able to completely relax here and don't want to go home tomorrow. Francesco, the owner also made us a CD of the incredible tunes they play all day and night at the beach club. Overall couldn't fault this beautiful place.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This was our third time staying at El Taj - and I am reluctant to say, it will most likely be our last. Frankly, this place let us down. While the location cannot be beat, there are just enough annoyances that we feel we can do better for the money we are spending. (for reference, we are in unit 336, top floor duplex on the beach, and we were given the designation of "VIP" on the basis of having stayed there before. Not sure what that entailed us to...maybe free internet?)
First off, little frustrations. They mark-up the transportation costs by over 10%. For having done nothing more than a phone call. This is not a private hotel service, they contract with one of the many car service companies. Seems annoying.
*These are equipped kitchens - with a coffee maker. But no coffee filters. After both previous stays, gave feedback that it was very annoying to have to go out and buy 50 coffee filters for a 7 day stay. "great feedback!" and nothing changed. In fact none of the little things get addressed. I don't know why - these are simple things that go a long way. Maybe people wouldn't consciously notice having coffee filters available. But not having them, you do notice. And for the price, seems chintzy.
*The chair hogs at the Beach club. I know that the Club is not technically part of the hotel, but they are connected closely enough that in my mind they are a singular entity - and going to my balcony in the morning to see a fair number of spots already claimed by people draping towels over them is annoying.
*Maintenance - these condos are being used hard. The pebbles in the shower (their version of an anti-slip surface) coming loose. Things that have been broken (a trim piece by a drawer) and was replaced/repaired severely crooked. After a very windy night, a large outdoor light cover (made of reed - pier1 looking ball) blew off. Reported to housekeeping as they were cleaning, but never repaired. Sat in our condo until we left.
Concierge - just a let-down. Best example is one night we tried to make reservations too late - our fault. When we asked about another restaurant, and its hours, we were told that this restaurant was walk-in & open until 11pm. Imagine our surprise (and disappointment) when we showed up at 9:30 to find out the kitchen was closed. Not the way we wanted our last night to go.
The front desk people were pleasant, as well as the rest of the staff we encountered. Especially the group at Indigo beach club. Those guys hustle!
Lastly, and this really set our teeth on edge - the last day. We had asked about a late check out - 1pm, about 1 hour after the normal noon check out. No can do. 12 is the latest, as the apt has guests coming in that day (3pm check in). Okay, no problem. We will check out at noon.
So our plan that morning is to be already packed except for essentials, and take advantage of the morning sun on the upper deck and relax. Imagine our surprise when before 11 am, they start taking all the furniture off the deck and setting up for a wedding. All the spare furniture was placed on our lower deck, making it unusable as well.
Then we get a "friendly reminder" call at 11:45 that we need to be out by noon. Yea, we got the hints. And the feeling that our comfort was no longer of importance. Moving on.
Look - there are some definite positives to the Hotel. The location is great. The condos are generally nice. And the staff is freindly. But for the price, El Taj is failing on the details which would make it worth the money to stay there again. And given their inability to follow-through with previous feedback, I don't see it improving any time soon. I would no longer recommend.

EDIT - and a point in their favor - I left my keys in the safe, and they were very prompt in getting them in the mail to me.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RFNJ
Reviewed 10 December 2013

After reading all the great comments I booked a partial ocean view on the beachfront ($240 per night) - when I got there I was not happy with the view- the only time you could see this view was upon leaving the room from the sliding glass door. I immediately spoke with the staff on how they could book this room as a partial ocean view when you only had a 5% view only upon leaving the apartment. over the next 2 days I was told that someone from management would speak with me - that did not happen. The best view of this apartment was that of the backside street. I spent 3 days at El Taj and the next four days at Blue Diamond Hotel (All inclusive $280)- for an extra $40 per day I would recommend Blue Diamon- I reserved a lagoon view and that is what I got a beautiful Lagoon view minutes from downtown Playa del Carmen. I would not reccommed El Taj to a Friend or Foe- Sorry but go to BLUE DIAMOND where you will get alot more for your $$$$ at a real 5 star property!!! Food, Accomodations, Hospitality, and Service are incredible!!!!

Room Tip: Narrow property - no real sense of privacy if anyone else is on their outside space.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank 71Countries
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I spent Thanksgiving here with my boyfriend. We loved it! The location was great. No need for a car. We walked to a different restaurant every night with no problems. There are taxis everywhere if you need to go farther. The rooms are very nicely appointed and the staff is great! There is a great gym right around the corner that is at your disposal and the beach is right out the back door. I would highly recommend El Taj.

• Stayed: November 2013