“Central location”

El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
Ranked #42 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 2 March 2014

El Taj is a lovely complex in the center of Playa. We only had a few concerns and they have been mentioned in other reviews. We kept our room open during the day and enjoyed the breezes, however we needed to turn on AC and fans to sleep because of noise from neighboring night clubs. This is a known problem if you stay in this part of Playa. We slept great with the windows closed.
This is not the best swimming beach in Playa because of all the dive/fishing boats in front of the complex. However the beach club is great and staff is attentive. The beach chairs are comfortable and staff quick to move umbrellas around if you need shade from the intense sun. If swimming in the ocean is your main interest you can take a walk to the beaches north of this property.
We enjoyed our morning breakfast at Indigio Beach Club. Staff was exceptional throughout the property. Our unit was one of the smallest on the property and the patio space fit only two people. It was fine for a couple but we thought by the pictures it was a larger room and closer to the ocean. I knew we did not have an ocean view but was not aware that El Taj had two buildings. Our unit was in the back building in the corner with a street view. The front view was of the pond and pool was beautiful. The street was not that great of a view. The unit was well equipped with everything we needed except a washer and dryer. Most condo units I have rented traveling have a washer/dryer so I bring carry on and half the luggage. I called ahead and was informed this unit did not so I planned accordingly. Not a big deal. I believe some of the larger units have washer/dryers. The physical grounds of El Taj are very beautiful. I would reserve a larger unit if returning to this property.In addition, I would figure out the exact location of the unit I was renting. The complimentary membership to the GYM is a great perk. I tried a few classes and would recommend bringing workout clothing. We enjoyed our stay in this property. This is a lovely resort in a beautiful part of Mexico.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to share you comments with us on Trip Advisor. I would like you to know that we take all guest feedback to heart so that we can continue to provide the best quality experience in the future. Thank you for the wonderful comments about the property and about the staff. Service is our number one priority at all times so we appreciate that you felt that the service was top notch.
We try to include as many amenities and services onsite so that your stay is easy and comfortable. The GYM is a nice perk and they certainly do offer some excellent fun classes as well, which people really seem to love. Indigo beach does indeed have a fantastic breakfast and a beautiful setting. While during high season the beach club may be a bit busier we always make sure to make accommodations for our guests at the beach club.
Regarding the fishing boats, we recognize that the boats may not make it an ideal area for swimming directly in front of the beach club but we like our guests to be aware that there are some very clear areas for swimming just a few steps away. Since Playa del Carmen originated as a small fishing village we still have some of the original fisherman which have been set up there for years before Playa was built up. As Playa has changed so much we try to maintain some of that old town charm. We also think its important to consider respect for the old town fisherman, which is why we haven't asked them to leave.
We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience and we surely hope that we will have the opportunity to accommodate you on future trips to Playa.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I came down to Playa with some friends over the weekend for a bachelor party. Outstanding relaxing facilities, well kept, with a Thai/asian flair. Fountains with Koi fishes, penthouses (i would recommend this option if coming with a group) with their own private rooftop terrace with jacuzzi and grill offering awesome views of the Caribbean. Great breakfast buffet (restaurant not a part of the hotel,
but they offer discounts for guests) and beach staff. Only complaint is that it can be a bit pricy if coming for a week or more. The place is
within walking distances of all
major nightclubs/restaurants/shops in Playa del Carmen. Complimentary 10 min massage whenever you want during your stay. Rooms are well-stocked with goodies and there is free ice upon request; the staff is very helpful with any kind of requests. Beachfront is average but the hotel makes up for it with all its amenities. While it's not an all-inclusive, it's definitely THE hotel you want to go to if on a romantic get-away or just a small partying trip. I will definitely return here in the future.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about us on Trip Advisor and also for considering us as being the place you must go in Playa. I am always pleased to hear such positive reviews and I pay very close attention to all feedback that we receive. Our entire team does a fantastic job at bringing the best service to our guests. That is something that we are consistently proud of. You are right, if you are traveling with a large group we always recommend renting a penthouse unit since it has enough space to accommodate larger parties and also features extra amenities for entertainment and relaxation. If you are traveling with a smaller group or as a couple we definitely have plenty of other units available which are also loaded with amenities. I certainly hope that El Taj will continue to be your choice for future stays in Playa.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This place is amazing if you love great service, really private envirement, awesome high quality condos, great food and just a hop, skip and a jump to town. My favorite place so far and I have been to this area 9 times. Will definatly come back for more and more.

PS -The beach is amazing and the beds they have are wonderful and so comfortable. Drinks are outstanding and not watered down. You can even book a private chef to come to your room and cook. We did it and it was wonderful!

Love it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Danielle T

Dear Guest,
I am thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us at El Taj. I always take very close attention about comments regarding service because that is clearly our number one priority. So with that, I thank you for your compliments on the great service. We often hear comments about the comfort of the beds which we are very pleased to hear. I personally strive to bring the best quality to my hotel and I believe it shows, based on continuous positive feedback. Thank you again for taking time to share you experience with us on Trip Advisor and I hope we will continue to be your number one choice in the future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We just returned from an incredible ( best ever, from what our friends are saying!) wedding. The Condo Hotels wedding planner Linda Burchett was fantastic to deal with - so prompt and attentive to detail. She helped us plan our dream wedding for 70 people from across Canada and the US. Dreaming of coming back!

Room Tip: Porto Playa and Maya Villa are the best choices for sound sleeping they are farther from the night c...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your excellent review in Trip Advisor. As you might imagine, feedback from our guests in very important to us and we are always so delighted to hear when someone has had a wonderful experience. I am happy to say we do have a incredible wedding services and our wedding coordination staff is, indeed, outstanding! I am glad that we, at Condo Hotels, were able to help give you your dream wedding and provide you with the best accommodations. Thank you again and I do hope that you, as well as your friends and family members, will return back with us on future visits to Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed on the ocean front side in unit #322 for 10 nights. This hotels services are outstanding and very accommodating. The indigo beach club had nice day beds for lunging and personal staff sto set your umbrella for you. Luiz at Maya Spa is an awesome massage therapist! Pay a little more and get one of the best massages I guarantee you will ever have! Pamper yourself and get the full 70 minute one. With our $10 discount card it only cost 40 bucks plus tip...an incredible bargain! El Taj is in a great location. Only slight downfall is that you can hear the vibration from the 5 nightclubs located at the end of the block at 12th. Don't need a car, El Taj probably has the best location in Playa.

Room Tip: We stayed in #322 and was great!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elyse B

Dear Guest,
I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We have a great team completely focused on giving only the best service to our guests, and that includes all of our Condo Hotels, Indigo Beach Club, The GYM and our two amazing restaurants, Imprevist and Plank.
As you mentioned about the location, El Taj is located right in the heart of everything you want to see and do in Playa del Carmen. The beach, incredible restaurants, shopping and also nightlife. While from outside your room you may get a slight reflection of some nightclub activity in the evening, the location of the hotel is far enough away so that it is not by any means disruptive. We have specially built custom soundproof glass for the windows so that you can enjoy complete peace and quiet inside your condo at all times. Our mission is to provide the best and most comfortable experience for your stay. We do hope that you will return with us should you ever return to Playa in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

El Taj is magical: you are at the beach and in the town all at once. How could it be? But it is!
Great food service at Indigo, great pool and a staff that only says "no problem".
Rooms are luxurious, there are no intrusions, and the walks in town for shopping and for restaurants make the stay one long party.
Breakfast on the beach at a real table with great service is a joy.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,
I am certainly pleased to see the title of your review, as this is exactly what we are aiming for - to provide an experience to our guests, that they will want to repeat over and over. This means we are doing everything right. We always want to make our guests feel that El Taj is a place that they will want to return to time and time again. Many people have referred to us as being their home in Playa, as we receive countless amounts of repeat visitors everyday. And there is no doubt that with outstanding views and oceanfront services the word magical is completely fitting. We are proud to make people feel this way! I thank you again for taking your time to share your comments on Trip Advisor and I hope that we will remain your number one choice for future visits.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Oh man, this was literally one of the nicest hotels/condos I have ever visited. We found a cheap deal on tripadvisor and booked it last minute, not really knowing what to expect. When we arrived, we found a ocean paradise right on the beach. Our condo had a fully stocked kitchen, three tvs, speaker/iphone docks, private patio with a jacuzzi, two bathrooms and many other amenities. There's a beautiful waterfall pool and beachfront beds to lounge around. I really didn't expect anything nearly this nice for a modest price I paid. I felt like a mexican prince! Maybe next time they can provide private masseuses to follow me around. Nah, I'd probably never leave. Seriously, if you are looking to spoil yourself, this place should be at the top of your list. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends