This is a set up for a perfect vacation.
I spent lots of time searching the web to decide between Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun vs. Cozumel and finally decided to go with PDC and it was absolutely the right decision. Cancun may be a better choice if you are looking for spring break parties. Cozumel will make sense if you want more seclusion and peace. You should go to PDC if you want something in between: not too quiet, not to loud!
My next step was to decide between all-inclusive vs. free standing boutique style hotel and again I am completely happy that I didn't do all-inclusive. AI is good if you are traveling with kids, or if you are not adventurous and just want to relax on the beach. But if you are into exploring new places and local culture, the AI will bore you.
While I was searching for a hotel I saw the name of El-Taj in Fodor’s as a recommended hotel and I booked after finding a good deal. Now, I am happy with the outcome!
This is a condo hotel located in downtown Playa del Carmen just in walking distance to all the action: 5th Avenue with all the restaurants and shops, ADO bus station, Cozumel ferry, Collectivo bus stop to Tulum etc. the hotel has a very beautiful architecture with decorations. This is a beach front property which has two separate buildings. One of which is on the beach and the other one across the street. There are two small pools with a beach club at the property as well. The gym and the spa are off site, just one block away.
Upon arrival, the check in process was fast and efficient. We were explained all the amenities and inclusions in our reservation. We were given coupons to use at a nearby restaurant (Imprevist which was really nice) and the beach club for breakfast and brunch. The food in both places was really good. Our condo was a one bed room with a fully equipped kitchen and a water cooler which was life and money saver with free Wi-Fi which helped us a lot. The condos are new, nicely decorated and very clean.
Positive points: beautiful grounds, nice staff, breakfast/brunch included, free Wi-Fi, being close to the 5th ave and having a nice beach club in the property.
Negative points: the beach was really unimpressive and small! Docked ugly boats made swimming unappealing. The rowdy clubs in 12th street may wake you up in the middle of the night!
To sum it up: if you are a beach material, you should stick to an all-inclusive. The beach on this property is just an ordinary beach. But if you want to be in town and do some excursions to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba or Cozumel this is your ideal place. We enjoyed it and will come back to El-Taj if visiting PDC again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Taj Condo Hotel consists of 57 spacious condos situated on 2 separate properties in front of the beach. El Taj oceanfront is directly on the beach and El Taj Beachside is across the street. Guests get to use all the on site amenities including our exclusive beach club. We offer 2 incredible heated pools. The relaxing heated pool on Beachside property is an exotic black mosaic infinity pool with an extra large Jacuzzi while the oceanfront heated pool sits right on the beach in front of our exclusive beach club. We're located in the most liveliest area of Playa that offers the convenience of having the best restaurants, nightlife and shopping within one block from your vacation home.Each Condominium offers expansive floor plans and superb finishes. The Beachside condos have private terraces that are surrounded by exotic plants, Lilly ponds and all face the pool and cascading waterfalls. All the penthouse units in El Taj Beachside feature ocean views from the private roof decks. All the oceanfront units have views of the ocean.Each condo comes with fully equipped kitchens and the finest details including flat screen TVs in all the rooms. We provide the same services usually associated with some of the finest hotels. Our designers traveled the globe to Indonesia trying to recreate an environment reminiscent to Bali. . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Taj Oceanfront And Beachside Condo Hotel
- El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen