“Perfect vacation”

Ranked #35 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Portland, Oregon
“Perfect vacation”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is a set up for a perfect vacation.
I spent lots of time searching the web to decide between Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun vs. Cozumel and finally decided to go with PDC and it was absolutely the right decision. Cancun may be a better choice if you are looking for spring break parties. Cozumel will make sense if you want more seclusion and peace. You should go to PDC if you want something in between: not too quiet, not to loud!
My next step was to decide between all-inclusive vs. free standing boutique style hotel and again I am completely happy that I didn't do all-inclusive. AI is good if you are traveling with kids, or if you are not adventurous and just want to relax on the beach. But if you are into exploring new places and local culture, the AI will bore you.
While I was searching for a hotel I saw the name of El-Taj in Fodor’s as a recommended hotel and I booked after finding a good deal. Now, I am happy with the outcome!
This is a condo hotel located in downtown Playa del Carmen just in walking distance to all the action: 5th Avenue with all the restaurants and shops, ADO bus station, Cozumel ferry, Collectivo bus stop to Tulum etc. the hotel has a very beautiful architecture with decorations. This is a beach front property which has two separate buildings. One of which is on the beach and the other one across the street. There are two small pools with a beach club at the property as well. The gym and the spa are off site, just one block away.
Upon arrival, the check in process was fast and efficient. We were explained all the amenities and inclusions in our reservation. We were given coupons to use at a nearby restaurant (Imprevist which was really nice) and the beach club for breakfast and brunch. The food in both places was really good. Our condo was a one bed room with a fully equipped kitchen and a water cooler which was life and money saver with free Wi-Fi which helped us a lot. The condos are new, nicely decorated and very clean.
Positive points: beautiful grounds, nice staff, breakfast/brunch included, free Wi-Fi, being close to the 5th ave and having a nice beach club in the property.
Negative points: the beach was really unimpressive and small! Docked ugly boats made swimming unappealing. The rowdy clubs in 12th street may wake you up in the middle of the night!
To sum it up: if you are a beach material, you should stick to an all-inclusive. The beach on this property is just an ordinary beach. But if you want to be in town and do some excursions to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba or Cozumel this is your ideal place. We enjoyed it and will come back to El-Taj if visiting PDC again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kamitravel
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Kamitravel,
Thank you for taking the time to share your excellent experience with us on Trip Advisor. Surely I am happy to hear that you not only loved staying at El Taj but that you would strongly recommend us to others as well. You are perfectly right on about what Playa is all about. It is a mix of an upbeat trendy movement that combines a peaceful appeal as well. It is neither one extreme or other. The location of El Taj is right in the heart of Playa giving a free range for an explorer's heart to quickly access every area amenity.. For this reason, it is true we are nearby to the local entertainment venues. Due to some of the same trending feedback we have corrected the slight noise issue by installing perfectly soundproof triple insulated windows. We are almost complete with the project but we are still working on getting the last rooms up and ready. Perhaps you had a room that was not yet completed with this feature. Very soon, all rooms will be completely equipped. Our beach club is the old home of the local town fisherman. As a respect for them we have decided not to ask them to close up shop. I also believe that allowing them to stay helps to maintain a "once was" charm of the old Playa that so many people loved dearly. Just steps away from El Taj, we do offer complimentary access to our other affiliated beach club which is completely clear of boats and has great swimming. This privileged is included in your stay. Surely I am thankful for your feedback and I hope you will choose El Taj for future visits to Playa del Carmen.

Owner, Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Hebrew first
brighton
Reviewed 19 March 2014

El Taj is a beautiful complex which exceeded our expectations. Lovely views, landscaped gardens and on the beach. Close to the town - shopping and night life. The beach club was a great place to relax and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We would love to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in a fantastic penthouse with private terrace and jacuzzi. Too many steps for anyone with...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank scaramanger
Dear scaramanger,
I would like to personally than you for your excellent review of El Taj. I love when I get to hear such wonderful reviews such as this! The goal of the entire service team is to offer an experience beyond expectations. We realize that when you are traveling you should leave your worries and stress behind, which is why we work so hard to offer a beautiful and pampered experience for all our guests. We always hear such amazing comments about our Rootop penthouses as they offer a different level of luxury and privacy. If you are traveling with more than 2 people I definitely suggest booking a penthouse unit. I am certainly glad you were satisfied with your stay and on behalf of myself and the entire El Taj team we hope you will choose us again on future stays in Playa del Carmen.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Had a great time here, rooms are amazing and if you get a penthouse with the private terrace you cant go wrong, the beach club is very chilled and a great day just hanging out and drinking.
At night your right in the middle of everything, didnt get in a cab once, you are steps from great nightlife
Highly recommend if your going to playa del carmen and i hope to be back soon as well

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mark h
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Mark h,
Thank you for taking aside time to share your excellent experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled to hear you had such a great vacation with us at El Taj. We aim to provide the best top notch amenities and service to every single one of our guests. As you mentioned, the penthouse terraces surely do provide plenty of privacy and a more intimate experience. You have plenty of amenities at your disposal which will never leave you needing more. El Taj truly is in the very heart of Playa del Carmen, only steps away from the incredible Caribbean Sea and white sand beaches, amazing restaurants, shopping, taxi service, and everything you could possibly need. We hope that your great experience will lead you back with us for future stays in Playa del Carmen.

New Orleans
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

The beach in front of the hotel is the worst in PdC. With all the boats moored here, there is no swimming. You have to walk down the beach a hundred yards or so. The pools are a little cold for my taste. Some of the staff are helpful. Some don't want to be bothered.

The condos are nice. There is a loud disco down the block, so it isn't a good choice if you are a light sleeper.

But it is very expensive for what you get.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank NOLA70115
Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We like to avoid all inclusive places and this was a good compromise. We had the facilities of a hotel. The rooms were kept very clean- they even offered to wash our dirty crockery, and we had a spacious place to sit and could make coffee and snacks. The cooking facilities were good but we preferred to eat out.We enjoyed the beach club although it was crowded at times. The guys alway managed to find us somewhere to sit. The sea was good to cool off in and when we were there, not dirty, although there was a little sea weed trapped around the boats. The bay was very shallow though and would be great for small children but not so good for swimming. The pool was too small for swimming. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We loved the cooked to order breakfasts at Imprevist restaurant nearby. We were given vouchers and could use them for breakfast or brunch until 2pm- great for late risers. Indigo beach club also did breakfast which wasn't quite as good but still OK- and again cooked to order. I found the bed comfortable but like hard beds. I did not find the noise from the clubs too intrusive but could definitely hear it if I strained my ears.
It was quite expensive for a condo but Playa is an expensive place. I would return.
I thought the concierge was great. He often suggested we just use the collectivos- or the Cozumel ferry and arrange snorkelling on arrival. That was great value and several times we got personalised tours.
Suggestion- the music in Indigo bar is noisy dance music a lot of the time. Looking around me I thought the demographic might prefer something a bit more relaxing

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us on Trip Advisor, as customer feedback is our number one tool to maintain the best experience for all of our guests. I believe that the best highlight about Playa del Carmen is that there is really so much to do and experience. With that being said, the best way to experience Playa is to explore; and for that reason, many people feel that renting a condo will give them the freedom to do just that! And while we are not an all inclusive resort, we do provide each condo guest with a special privilege card which gains you free access to the most exclusive health club in Playa, The GYM, as well as exclusive discounts on meals and drinks at our restaurants Plank, Imprevist, and Indigo Beach Club, all of which are rated very high among guests.
On another note, I certainly appreciate your wonderful comments about the service. When you are on vacation your mission is to relax; our mission is to make sure that happens by providing the best service at our hotels, our beach clubs, restaurants, and our concierge services. As you did mention, one of the pools is on the smaller side, however there is a secondary larger pool located on the opposite side of the property. We would like our guests to be aware that they have access to both pools and all amenities located onsite at El Taj. While its true we are somewhat neighboring to the night clubs, we are are far enough away so that it is not intrusive to your stay. In fact, we are taking extra measures by installing triple insulated soundproof windows in each room so that you couldn't hear a thing even if you strained to do so. We are are always on a mission to keep doing better! That is why we remain one of the best! We hope that we will continue to be your choice for accommodations during future stays in Playa del Carmen.

Golden Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

El Taj is a lovely complex in the center of Playa. We only had a few concerns and they have been mentioned in other reviews. We kept our room open during the day and enjoyed the breezes, however we needed to turn on AC and fans to sleep because of noise from neighboring night clubs. This is a known problem if you stay in this part of Playa. We slept great with the windows closed.
This is not the best swimming beach in Playa because of all the dive/fishing boats in front of the complex. However the beach club is great and staff is attentive. The beach chairs are comfortable and staff quick to move umbrellas around if you need shade from the intense sun. If swimming in the ocean is your main interest you can take a walk to the beaches north of this property.
We enjoyed our morning breakfast at Indigio Beach Club. Staff was exceptional throughout the property. Our unit was one of the smallest on the property and the patio space fit only two people. It was fine for a couple but we thought by the pictures it was a larger room and closer to the ocean. I knew we did not have an ocean view but was not aware that El Taj had two buildings. Our unit was in the back building in the corner with a street view. The front view was of the pond and pool was beautiful. The street was not that great of a view. The unit was well equipped with everything we needed except a washer and dryer. Most condo units I have rented traveling have a washer/dryer so I bring carry on and half the luggage. I called ahead and was informed this unit did not so I planned accordingly. Not a big deal. I believe some of the larger units have washer/dryers. The physical grounds of El Taj are very beautiful. I would reserve a larger unit if returning to this property.In addition, I would figure out the exact location of the unit I was renting. The complimentary membership to the GYM is a great perk. I tried a few classes and would recommend bringing workout clothing. We enjoyed our stay in this property. This is a lovely resort in a beautiful part of Mexico.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to share you comments with us on Trip Advisor. I would like you to know that we take all guest feedback to heart so that we can continue to provide the best quality experience in the future. Thank you for the wonderful comments about the property and about the staff. Service is our number one priority at all times so we appreciate that you felt that the service was top notch.
We try to include as many amenities and services onsite so that your stay is easy and comfortable. The GYM is a nice perk and they certainly do offer some excellent fun classes as well, which people really seem to love. Indigo beach does indeed have a fantastic breakfast and a beautiful setting. While during high season the beach club may be a bit busier we always make sure to make accommodations for our guests at the beach club.
Regarding the fishing boats, we recognize that the boats may not make it an ideal area for swimming directly in front of the beach club but we like our guests to be aware that there are some very clear areas for swimming just a few steps away. Since Playa del Carmen originated as a small fishing village we still have some of the original fisherman which have been set up there for years before Playa was built up. As Playa has changed so much we try to maintain some of that old town charm. We also think its important to consider respect for the old town fisherman, which is why we haven't asked them to leave.
We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience and we surely hope that we will have the opportunity to accommodate you on future trips to Playa.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I came down to Playa with some friends over the weekend for a bachelor party. Outstanding relaxing facilities, well kept, with a Thai/asian flair. Fountains with Koi fishes, penthouses (i would recommend this option if coming with a group) with their own private rooftop terrace with jacuzzi and grill offering awesome views of the Caribbean. Great breakfast buffet (restaurant not a part of the hotel,
but they offer discounts for guests) and beach staff. Only complaint is that it can be a bit pricy if coming for a week or more. The place is
within walking distances of all
major nightclubs/restaurants/shops in Playa del Carmen. Complimentary 10 min massage whenever you want during your stay. Rooms are well-stocked with goodies and there is free ice upon request; the staff is very helpful with any kind of requests. Beachfront is average but the hotel makes up for it with all its amenities. While it's not an all-inclusive, it's definitely THE hotel you want to go to if on a romantic get-away or just a small partying trip. I will definitely return here in the future.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about us on Trip Advisor and also for considering us as being the place you must go in Playa. I am always pleased to hear such positive reviews and I pay very close attention to all feedback that we receive. Our entire team does a fantastic job at bringing the best service to our guests. That is something that we are consistently proud of. You are right, if you are traveling with a large group we always recommend renting a penthouse unit since it has enough space to accommodate larger parties and also features extra amenities for entertainment and relaxation. If you are traveling with a smaller group or as a couple we definitely have plenty of other units available which are also loaded with amenities. I certainly hope that El Taj will continue to be your choice for future stays in Playa.