“Best Place Ever - Quality & Service”

El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
Ranked #43 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I want to thank every kind staff member that works for this hotel (reservations, reception, staff, etc). It felt like home. We stayed for 9 days and I can't complain about one thing. The reason we reserved this hotel bc it TripAdvisor said it was #2. I don't understand why it is not #1. The Apartment were spectacular.

I had my wedding party stay here and it felt to great to hear everyone was exceptionally happy with their stay too. Can't wait to go back with my husband.

Room Tip: Stay at the Oceanfront. The Beachfront El Taj, Maya Villa, and Playa Palms are also a great alternat...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Paola329,
I am so happy to hear that your stay at El Taj was amazing. I read each and every review to insure that all of our guests needs are met. Guest satisfaction is my number one priority every day! El Taj offers resort style amenities onsite, but as you mentioned will also make you feel right at home. It's a combination that we get complimented on often. It makes me extremely pleased to hear that our staff treated your kindly and provided great service. I hope that you will continue to choose El Taj during future visits to Playa del Carmen.

There are newer reviews for El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We spent four days and rent a two bedroom condo unit, the hotel is close to the best places around and even far away to the noisy places at night. We were located on the 3rd floor and the view was steel nice, because the beautiful internal gardens of the hotel.
We didn't like the beach, that is full of boats in front. You can not swim easily without some danger of get hit with a boat. This is something that is not clear on the announcement. Other surprise for us was the gym location, even it was a super gym, it was not located at the hotel, is located on another own property.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the right are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank RICARDO G
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear dixonguerra,
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. I am, Jack Perlman, the owner of El Taj and I read every review and respond to let guests know that I take all feedback (good and bad) very serious. First I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments about the view from your unit and the beautiful landscaping surrounding the property. I would like you to know that we are working on eliminating anymore disruption regarding some noise from the neighboring entertainment venues located down the street from El Taj. We are almost done installing triple insulated sound proof windows in every single unit. Many units already have this feature and we are working swiftly to insure that soon every unit is soundproof. It is true that directly in front of the onsite beach club is where the old Playa fisherman still park their boats. While I do have some power to ask them to move it's a fine line for me since these boats belong to the fisherman who settled in Playa long before Playa was built up. I haven't had the heart to interrupt their livelihood as this is truly all they have left. As a solution for everyone I have insured accommodations at a neighboring beach club only steps away from El Taj. This beach club also free of change (towels included) to enjoy the day in an area completely clear for swimming. I definitely hope that our staff communicated this to you at check in. El Taj is part of a brand of Condohotels all located in the same vicinity. El Taj is apart from our main building because it is our beachfront location. While the GYM is not located directly in El Taj it is just one short block away located in our main complex of establishments. The GYM is available for all condo hotels guests so our goal was to make it centrally located for everyone. I hope that you would still consider to return back with us at El Taj during future visits to Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our family of 5 spent our 2014 Spring Break at the El Taj beachside condos and had a trip of a lifetime. The facility is fantastic and everything exceeded our expectations! The 2 restaurants were perfect for beach side breakfasts, the beach was awesome, the staff were friendly and attentive, the pools were fabulous, our rooftop deck was to die for (who else can say their vacation rental had a rooftop deck complete with a jacquizzi??). The location of El Taj is absolutely perfect - minutes from restaurants, bars, and shops. The concierge service was awesome too - we did something unique every day (totally recommend Chichen Itza, Horseback riding on the beach, and private boat for snorkling). Thanks to all in Playa for making our 2014 Spring Break so memorable!

Room Tip: I totally recommend the beachside condos with a rooftop deck - phenomenal!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris C

Dear Chris C,
I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to write this fantastic review about your stay with us at El Taj. I'm so pleased to know that your entire stay was amazing and that we were able to create a memorable experience for you and your family. You are right, the rooftop deck with Jacuzzi is a beautiful perk for our penthouse units. I highly recommend booking a penthouse especially when traveling with more than a few people. El Taj is located in the premier zone of Playa del Carmen only steps away from the best restaurants, shopping and entertainment. Great choices on excursions as well! I am happy that our concierge was able to accommodate all your needs during your stay. Thank you again and I hope we will see you again soon at El Taj.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We cannot say enough about how wonderful El Taj has been! We spent a week in a fabulous one bedroom unit that was close to all of the amenities that the hotel had to offer . . . Complimentary breakfast on the beach or at a nearby cafe, The Gym down the street, massages, the beach fully equipped with beach chairs, umbrellas, great service and music. The hotel was excellent from start to finish and explained how the hotel was laid out, nearby restaurants and bars that they recommended (along with a VIP card that offered us local discounts), concierge services and overall top rate service and cleanliness. We'll definitely be back and will recommend to family and friends!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kim T,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments about your stay with us at El Taj. I couldn't be happier to receive such a glowing review. Aside from our excellent onsite accommodations and amenities, we do offer additional recommendations outside our grounds to compliment your stay, simply with use of our exclusive privilege card (complimentary at check in). I am glad to hear that you enjoyed breakfast at Indigo - and the little cafe you mention is called Imprevist, which is really such an adorable place to enjoy breakfast or dinner thanks to the elegant intimate setting in the dining room or on the patio. I am completely pleased to hear that our concierge service was outstanding and that you felt every detail was top notch! I really do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor and I hope that you will return back with us at El Taj during future visits to Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is my second visit to El Taj--the first was in November 2012--and I'm happy to report that this lovely hotel continues to amaze. As I write, my balcony door is open and I can hear the waves lapping at the shore behind the sounds of people laughing on the street and some happy mariachi band at a nearby resort. I have to go home to Chicago tomorrow, and I dread it. El Taj is simply heavenly. My condo is gorgeous and enormous; I can't possibly take full advantage of all the lounging spaces in just one week--two patios, a huge living room, a rooftop with a palapa-shaded living room, a Jacuzzi, grilling amenities, shall I go on? The beach club offers delicious food and beverages--don't miss the green ceviche. Everyone who works there is attentive and jovial. Special thanks to Jorge, Roberto, Chue, Alfredo, Hugo, William and Robert for making our stay extra special. Eric at the front desk makes check-in a treat. If you don't like the (charming) boats or the periodic kelp on the immediate beach, just walk a minute south to a beautiful swimming beach. I can tell you that when I was here in 11/12 I found 6 pristine conch shells in the surf just to the north of El Taj 's pier. No such luck this time, but I will return again and again to the inestimable El Taj and hope for more treasures

Room Tip: I stayed in 357, absolutely gorgeous unit with rooftop terrace. Partial ocean view from rooftop. Hug...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brookemallers

Dear Brookemallers,
Your review just absolutely blows me away. It is so outstanding to me to hear your story and to know that we, at El Taj, have been able to create such a beautiful memorable experience for you! If we can be compared to heaven I am sure that we are doing everything right to create a positive and stress free experience for our guests. Also, I would like to thank you for your direct compliments about the staff. Please know that I take this feedback very seriously and all of the people you mention will receive recognition for doing a fine job! Thank you again, and definitely we hope to see you again soon at El Taj!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We booked a 1 bedroom oceanview from Expedia. When we got to El Taj, we were given a room with no oceanview. No ocean at all, not leaning over a railing or from any window or patio. After a little complaining, we were told that in 2 days we could have oceanview. Our next room was 2 bedroom with a great view. We were very happy. We enjoyed our stay here. It was clean, the beds were great, the staff was wonderful. No complaints. One of our first nights we went to Plank, one of their new restaurants and met Jack Perlman. Jack owns Plank and El Taj and others. He treated us well and even arranged an excursion for our friends! We loved Plank. Great food, great entertainment and great drinks! We weren't crazy about Indigo resaurant so we went to Imprevist for lunch or breakfast which we liked more.

Room Tip: Both rooms that we had were good. 351 didn't have a view. 343 was a great room with 2 bedrooms...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank denelljl

Dear denelljl,
Thank you so much for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. It was so wonderful to meet you and definitely my pleasure to personally make any accommodations for you so that you can have an enjoyable stay. Thank you for all your wonderful comments about the beauty of the rooms and also for your amazing comments about Plank! Defiantly, I hope that you loved your breakfast/brunch at Imprevist as well. I'm sorry about the mix up with Expedia as sometimes working with 3rd party agents is a bit more difficult and unfortunately we don't have any control over what they are advertising. We try our best to communicate with them so that a guest is never mislead under any circumstances. I am glad however that we were able to accomplish getting you that ocean view room you were expecting. Again, thank you and I hope you will return again soon with us at El Taj.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Beautiful condo hotel, we stayed here for 5 nights in Feb 2014 with my wife and three kids. Perfect accommodation, lovely quiet pools, fabulous beach with lots of things going on and stuff to see, fishing boats and dive boats going in and out etc. Pure white sand, great for sandcastles.

Beach restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner is excellent, and very kind and attentive staff, I could mention a few by name like Robert, but they were all great, with very good English, and same for the beach side loungers, where they will bring you drinks, move your parasol etc, nothing is too much trouble.

Bell hops and reception staff also very good, with good English. (thanks Eduardo)

Only slight downside is the loud music from the discos on the Friday and Saturday nights, but that is because the location is very central, and only 100m walk to the busiest stretch of 5th Avenue

Room Tip: ask for ocean front, or on the side of the building to the left as you are facing the sea, this will...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Timhth,
Thank you for taking the time to share your excellent review with us on Trip Advisor. I am so happy to know that you were able to enjoy a beautiful vacation with us at El Taj in Playa del Carmen. We are a condo hotel so the idea is to make everything swift and easy for all of our guests including every possible amenity inside our units and on the grounds. Additionally we provide our guests an exclusive privilege card with our best recommendations for dining and entertainment. We are happy to be located in the most ideal part of town - the premier zone - only steps away from the 5th Avenue, the beach, entertainment venues, an elite fitness club. We are indeed fortunate enough to have such beauty in our surroundings. I appreciate your kind comments and I hope that you will return back with us again during future visits to Playa del Carmen.