“Well looked after”

Playa Palms Beach Hotel
Sydney, Australia
“Well looked after”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed here for a week after staying at an all inclusive resort beforehand, it was a very easy transition.

The rooms were comfortable and clean. Each comes with a hammock out the front, which I loved. You're also right on the beach, however due to the boats, you'll need to walk a little bit along the beach to swim, which was no big deal. There is also a swimming pool if you get tired of lying on the lounge chairs. Breakfast was delivered to your door every morning as well so that you could make use of the table and chairs outside your room.

The hotel is very well located near the beach, near many bars and near the main street for restaurants and shopping. Due to the bars being very close, the rooms closest to the road will be able to faintly hear some of the nearby nightclubs at night.

I've got to give special thanks to the staff. My wife got a bad case of food poisioning during our stay, and when I brough it to the attention of the staff, they had an excellent doctor on call, who came within a couple of hours.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the rooms away from the street and closer to the beach. You'll hear less of the n...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Polish first
Aus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed here on a solo trip thinking I wanted something a little nicer incase I could not handle roughing it alone. It would have been smart for me to learn spanish before coming to Mexico but I didnt, and I'll accept my fault in that. I asked for breakfast on the first night to be delivered at 10:15am, I also told them my ipod doc did not work and neither did the hot water. They placed my breakfast on my balcony somewhere between 8-9am because I left my room and when I came back at 9am there were birds eating my breakfast. Maybe if I spoke spanish they would have understood what I asked for. I had to tell them again the ipod doc does not work but I found that the hot water works - you just need to wait a good 5 minutes for it to turn hot. I went to the beach and relaxed while they took forever inspecting or maybe cleaning my room. Unfortunately they decided to either throw away my Valium or steal it, and did not fix the ipod doc. I had to get my medication replaced where I got overpriced $80US to get a new packet of Valium. Due to the language barrier I could not really contest this and really needing it, I bought it anyways.
The room itself was lovely, with a hammock on the balcony which was perfect. Its in a great location, you definately CAN hear the club 2 doors down, every night, but if the ipod doc worked I could have played something soothing to sleep to.
The sign in the cupboard says if you put your laundry in for washing before 8am they will return it by the afternoon. This is not the case so dont believe it. It will take at least 24 hours. I dont think they know what their sign says because they seemed confused when I was asking about it.
Otherwise all staff were curteous and I did feel safe with the security outside my window until the wee hours of the morning. It was a great location but next time I'll probably stay inland more, its not essential to stay near the beach and everything in playa seemed walkable to me. I wouldnt pay so much in the future for what I recieved here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PkTravelling
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed at this property for 10 nights in June as a family of 4. This was our first trip to Mexico and so I spent a lot of time of Trip Advisor researching places to stay. The reviews that led me to book our stay at Playa Palms really do provide a accurate representation of what's on offer.
We stayed in 208, which has a bedroom and pull out sofa in the lounge area - plenty of room for all of us. We made full use of the terrace (and the hammock) and loved having breakfast there every morning - we remained dry even during the unseasonal 2.5 days of straight rain.
The staff here are lovely - they take such care and pride in the property, and as a result it always looked beautiful. Our 2 children (7 and 9) made extensive use of the pool (after the rain, the beach didn't smell that great), and it's size was big enough to accommodate their games.
We loved the lounges and shade umbrellas on the beach just for us, and the fact that you could order a good quality/ inexpensive lunch from your beach lounge and have it delivered. We loved the towel sculptures that decorated the bed after the maid had been. We loved the hammocks (beach and terrace). We loved the proximity to 5th avenue. We loved that we were right on the beach. We loved that our breakfast was delivered right to our door, and that the coffee was good. We loved that the property was quiet, contained and small. We REALLY appreciated how well Carlos looked after us through our entire stay.
The only thing we are a bit sad about is how far playa del carmen is from our home in Sydney.

Room Tip: The rooms on the left side of the property (facing the beach) would be quieter, but the sound proofi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank maikaefer13
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Excellent choice for a hotel close to the 5th avenue. Staff was very nice, rooms were decent. The idea was to use this hotel as an operations center because we wanted to visit Cozumel and Akumal and we chose right!

Pros:
-Hotel is 5 minutes away, walking down to the 5th avenue. Great for party people.
-Rooms are comfortable and quiet. No noise from the bars down the street.
-Staff was nice and provided breakfast in the morning.

Cons:
-Beach in front of the hotel can't be used for swimming due to boats. Yo have to walk 100meters to get to a better beach.
-Rooms had a funny smell, but most hotels in humid places do.
-Pool is pretty much useless.

Room Tip: We had a ground-level room close to the beach. No noise, no stairs. Don't pick a room next to th...
santa barbara
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

A friend recommended this property to us and it was just right. It was located on a quiet spot on the beachfront and had a very laid back feel compared to some of the more bustling properties with onsite bars and such. All of the rooms face the ocean and they are very clean and nicely furnished. The small kitchen was a big convenience traveling with a family. The continental breakfast was another amenity we would also miss as we traveled on to Tulum and more rustic (but wonderful) accommodations. The low-key pool in the center of the property is a nice feature, not used a lot when we there in the slow season and refreshing to return home to each day. The grounds are lush and well cared for. I'd try for a room closer to the ocean next time and definitely on the second floor again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I'm writing this from a hammock on my balcony in Playa Palms as I thought it deserved a review before I left. What a great place! Superb accommodation,accommodating and very friendly staff, quiet and tranquil both by day and night, and close to everything in town. A lovely spot on the beach to top it all off. We will return! Thank you Playa Palms.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loving local F
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

We arrived at the hotel at night in thunderstorms, but we were waiting with keys from apartments, which were beautiful with a gorgeous seaview. In the morning we had breakfast on our terrace. Breakfast is not big, but very tasty. The hotel staff is very attentive and helpfull. The manager at the reception helped us much when rented car broke down, he talked by phone with the staff Avis. We with great pleasure would like to fly here again. I even cried when leaving the hotel.

3 Thank TetianaMil13