“Adorable property”

Playa Palms Beach Hotel
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Adorable property”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We loved the room (#208 one bedroom apartment) and we loved the property. Everything was clean, the staff were friendly and eager to please and it's in a great location. The apartment was large and had a full kitchen including dishes and utensils (not that we had an opportunity to cook anything). The room decoration and architectural design of the hotel as a whole are lovely. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was a nice size. The only complaint was the noise from the Blue Parrot Club two doors down. Our first night, Saturday, July 6, was quiet as it was the night before the elections and the Club was closed. However, starting Sunday night the bass fired up from 10:00 at night until 6:00 a.m. almost every night. We became a bit habituated after several nights but it did remain the only thorn in what is otherwise a rose of a hotel. We didn't ask to change rooms as we loved everything else about our room. Given their eagerness to please, I'm sure they'd have accomodated us if we had. We were hauling dive gear back and forth and staff were always right there ready to assist. Given that we were busy with other activities, we only used the beach once. A shame, given that it was lovely. We rather liked the ambience the boats anchored in front added (but then we're boat people). The pool is ideal and convenient for a quick dip to cool off if the beach doesn't satisfy. It is an easy walk to La Quinta (fifth Ave.) and a wide assortment of restaurants and shops. Playa Palms, as with Playa del Carmen as a whole, offers easy access too all desired ammenities while maintaining local charm.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VeronicaDiver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Polish first
San Lorenzo, CA
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days and 4 nights (oh, how we wish we could have stayed longer). The location of the hotel is awesome! Everything is within walking distance. We stayed in the oceanfront room (room 201), which has a great view! Only downside is that we wish the room was a bit more spacious given that we had a difficult time situating our oversized luggage in the room. I believe the garden view rooms are much larger than the oceanfront rooms. My parents stayed in one of the garden view rooms and overall, their room was much larger than ours (they could actually use the seating area for lounging rather than for stowing their luggage). The pool is small, but definitely serves it's purpose: to cool off and chill. As with other reviews, the beach directly in front on the hotel is not suited for swimming due the boats, but it's no biggie. There are plenty of other areas along the beach perfect for swimming just a few yards away. We would definitely consider staying

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Soniebaloni
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed here for a week after staying at an all inclusive resort beforehand, it was a very easy transition.

The rooms were comfortable and clean. Each comes with a hammock out the front, which I loved. You're also right on the beach, however due to the boats, you'll need to walk a little bit along the beach to swim, which was no big deal. There is also a swimming pool if you get tired of lying on the lounge chairs. Breakfast was delivered to your door every morning as well so that you could make use of the table and chairs outside your room.

The hotel is very well located near the beach, near many bars and near the main street for restaurants and shopping. Due to the bars being very close, the rooms closest to the road will be able to faintly hear some of the nearby nightclubs at night.

I've got to give special thanks to the staff. My wife got a bad case of food poisioning during our stay, and when I brough it to the attention of the staff, they had an excellent doctor on call, who came within a couple of hours.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the rooms away from the street and closer to the beach. You'll hear less of the n...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Aus
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed here on a solo trip thinking I wanted something a little nicer incase I could not handle roughing it alone. It would have been smart for me to learn spanish before coming to Mexico but I didnt, and I'll accept my fault in that. I asked for breakfast on the first night to be delivered at 10:15am, I also told them my ipod doc did not work and neither did the hot water. They placed my breakfast on my balcony somewhere between 8-9am because I left my room and when I came back at 9am there were birds eating my breakfast. Maybe if I spoke spanish they would have understood what I asked for. I had to tell them again the ipod doc does not work but I found that the hot water works - you just need to wait a good 5 minutes for it to turn hot. I went to the beach and relaxed while they took forever inspecting or maybe cleaning my room. Unfortunately they decided to either throw away my Valium or steal it, and did not fix the ipod doc. I had to get my medication replaced where I got overpriced $80US to get a new packet of Valium. Due to the language barrier I could not really contest this and really needing it, I bought it anyways.
The room itself was lovely, with a hammock on the balcony which was perfect. Its in a great location, you definately CAN hear the club 2 doors down, every night, but if the ipod doc worked I could have played something soothing to sleep to.
The sign in the cupboard says if you put your laundry in for washing before 8am they will return it by the afternoon. This is not the case so dont believe it. It will take at least 24 hours. I dont think they know what their sign says because they seemed confused when I was asking about it.
Otherwise all staff were curteous and I did feel safe with the security outside my window until the wee hours of the morning. It was a great location but next time I'll probably stay inland more, its not essential to stay near the beach and everything in playa seemed walkable to me. I wouldnt pay so much in the future for what I recieved here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PkTravelling
sydney
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed at this property for 10 nights in June as a family of 4. This was our first trip to Mexico and so I spent a lot of time of Trip Advisor researching places to stay. The reviews that led me to book our stay at Playa Palms really do provide a accurate representation of what's on offer.
We stayed in 208, which has a bedroom and pull out sofa in the lounge area - plenty of room for all of us. We made full use of the terrace (and the hammock) and loved having breakfast there every morning - we remained dry even during the unseasonal 2.5 days of straight rain.
The staff here are lovely - they take such care and pride in the property, and as a result it always looked beautiful. Our 2 children (7 and 9) made extensive use of the pool (after the rain, the beach didn't smell that great), and it's size was big enough to accommodate their games.
We loved the lounges and shade umbrellas on the beach just for us, and the fact that you could order a good quality/ inexpensive lunch from your beach lounge and have it delivered. We loved the towel sculptures that decorated the bed after the maid had been. We loved the hammocks (beach and terrace). We loved the proximity to 5th avenue. We loved that we were right on the beach. We loved that our breakfast was delivered right to our door, and that the coffee was good. We loved that the property was quiet, contained and small. We REALLY appreciated how well Carlos looked after us through our entire stay.
The only thing we are a bit sad about is how far playa del carmen is from our home in Sydney.

Room Tip: The rooms on the left side of the property (facing the beach) would be quieter, but the sound proofi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank maikaefer13
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Excellent choice for a hotel close to the 5th avenue. Staff was very nice, rooms were decent. The idea was to use this hotel as an operations center because we wanted to visit Cozumel and Akumal and we chose right!

Pros:
-Hotel is 5 minutes away, walking down to the 5th avenue. Great for party people.
-Rooms are comfortable and quiet. No noise from the bars down the street.
-Staff was nice and provided breakfast in the morning.

Cons:
-Beach in front of the hotel can't be used for swimming due to boats. Yo have to walk 100meters to get to a better beach.
-Rooms had a funny smell, but most hotels in humid places do.
-Pool is pretty much useless.

Room Tip: We had a ground-level room close to the beach. No noise, no stairs. Don't pick a room next to th...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
santa barbara
Reviewed 30 June 2013

A friend recommended this property to us and it was just right. It was located on a quiet spot on the beachfront and had a very laid back feel compared to some of the more bustling properties with onsite bars and such. All of the rooms face the ocean and they are very clean and nicely furnished. The small kitchen was a big convenience traveling with a family. The continental breakfast was another amenity we would also miss as we traveled on to Tulum and more rustic (but wonderful) accommodations. The low-key pool in the center of the property is a nice feature, not used a lot when we there in the slow season and refreshing to return home to each day. The grounds are lush and well cared for. I'd try for a room closer to the ocean next time and definitely on the second floor again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family