I could give a rating of anything from 1 to 5 for the Paseo del sol and would advise anyone booking to take care. I booked at the last minute through Expedia and tried to contact Paseo del Sol by 'phone and e-mail prior to arrival to make sure of our room requests. By 'phone I kept getting a Spanish voicemail and had no response to e-mails. I was somewhat anxious about this but not unduly concerned. Unfortunately, for various reasons, we missed a connecting flight - I tried again to contact Paseo del Sol to tell them we would be arriving 12 hours later than planned (on Saturday rather than Friday evening) but again only obtained the Spanish voicemail. I contacted Expedia who called me back to say they had managed to contact Paseo del Sol and they would expect us a day late. When we eventually arrived after 36 hours travelling we waited at Paseo del Sol reception for over an hour and a half as they could not find our booking and eventually told us they had no 3 bedroom apartments available. I learnt that about 3/4 of the complex is managed by one company who deal with the likes of Expedia whilst the other 1/4 is managed by another company letting mostly to Russians. The letting agent of the latter company who was in the lobby said he could help us out and showed us one of his three bedroom apartments. It looked as if it had not been renovated since the complex had been built and was rather depressing - we were also told we would have to pay for electricity, drinking water and cleaning. As we were all exhausted from the travel and this seemed the only option we reluctantly accepted. By Monday and having made a long list of maintenance problems with the apartment I had had enough and told the front reception we would have to be moved - I showed them another receipt from Expedia indicating we had paid in full in advance. Suddenly they had a number of 3 bedroom apartments available and we spent the morning looking at very nice, new and clean ones. We then moved into one on the top floor being told it would include cleaning everyday, no extra charge for drinking water or electricity. I do not know if this is generally the case or whether they simply felt bad about messing us about. I have since been told by Expedia that after I e-mailed them the day after our arrival to tell them of our problems they re-contacted Paseo del Sol to re-confirm our booking and indeed sent a fax. That may be why we were found another apartment on the Monday. However, reception were adamant they had no three bedroom apartments available when we arrived and the ones they showed us on Monday had only become available after the weekend. Indeed, two they showed us were still being cleaned. I am still not sure what went wrong. The apartment we ended up in for the last two and a half weeks of our break was very nice (not luxury and 4 rather than 5 star) - it was sufficiently spacious for our family of five adults and had everything we needed. However, the third bedroom was small and the air conditioning was not very efficient. The beach is NOT ACROSS THE ROAD as other reviewers suggest. If you do not want to walk through the Reef Hotel which is opposite Paseo del Sol (we preferred not to), the beach is actually down a short road opposite Paseo, through a wooded area, along two other short roads - about 10 minutes - not really a big problem but definitely not across the road. Self-catering is not that easy (and we are used to it on our various travels) as there are no shops of any substance for food within walking distance. The Megga (avoid Wallmart which is awful) supermarket is a ten minute taxi ride away so don't forget to buy the essentials when you get there. Had we had not problems at the outset my overall rating would still be a 4. Very nice and comfortable with a very nice pool but not luxurious. I would though make as certain as you can that every aspect of your booking has been confirmed - I thought I had done so and am not sure what else I could have done. The reception staff were all very nice and helpful although it sometimes took a while for things to be done.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It’s always a pleasure to guide the ones that are looking for a luxury yet affordable vacation in Playa del Carmen.Playa del Carmen it’s just the place to be while on vacation, it features first world facilities with an authentic Mexican taste, dressed with a multicultural ambiance.Our peaceful beautiful condo complex is located in Playacar, a gated community with 24/7 security with a paradisiacal Caribbean landscape; just 15 min walking or 5 min driving distance from the well known 5th avenue. Paseo del Sol features its own lighted and complimentary tennis court, Gym, sauna, free parking, the largest and most beautiful pool in the area and beach club right across de street.All the condominiums are fully air conditioned and furnished, spacious living room, ceiling fans, linens and towels, bottled drinking water, fully equipped kitchen (microwave, toaster, blender, coffee maker, cookware, dishes, dishwasher), cable tv, dvd player, iron/ironing board combo, washer/dryer and very large balcony, terrace or either rooftop.All points considered, Paseo del Sol is a good choice for those who want the convenience of a fully equipped condo and all the tourist services you are likely to need, both in Playacar and Playa del Carmen.I would love to understand your needs in order to provide with the best option for vacations, I have a solution for every single need and budget.Please write or call me at any time, I’m always available to assist you. Best regards ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Encanto Paseo del Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Encanto Paseo Del Sol Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Encanto Paseo Del Sol Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen