“We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would definitely recommend it to friends and family”
Review of Petit Lafitte

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #8 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I just spent a wonderful 6 days at Petite Lafitte and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing, affordable, and quiet retreat in Playa Del Carmen. The staff are very professional, courteous, and are always willing to go the extra mile to accommodate in any way necessary. The food was pretty good, mostly Mexican, with several options for breakfast and salad and soup and choice of 2 entrees for dinner. Lunch is also available. One of the best things about this hotel is that they don't "nickle and dime" you like other places. Bottled water is complimentary and unlimited and the drinks range from $3-5. For 6 days, our bar and lunch tab was less than $100. The beach is a little rocky in front of the hotel, but if you walk a little to the left, it becomes much nicer. We stayed in a bungalow and loved it. It felt like we were on our own private resort and the beach was just steps away. They have plenty of beach chairs and covered umbrellas and even hammocks to relax on. Don't miss out on the animal reserve at the back of the hotel. They have all kinds of species of rare birds and deer that have all been rescued. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely like to return. We would recommend changing your money to pesos, especially for the taxi rides, because you'll get a better rate.

Room Tip: We originally got a garden view room but got upgraded to a bungalow and would highly recommend that...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Dear Ayesha A,

It was very nice to read your review this morning, I realize you were here while I was gone for a vacation, I am glad to see that you had a wonderful experience and felt the staff was corteous and professional. I particularly appreciated your comment on being a hotel that don't "nickle and dime" their guests. It is very satisfying to hear that you noticed that, as we have taken that approach to our hotel, since we started doing tourisms, many years ago.
I see you upgraded to a Bungalow, from an original Garden View Room, reservation. Looks like you enjoyed your decision and the Bungalow as well.
Thank you for your positive comments on the food, the atmosphere, the beach, hammocks and service.
In summary, we just want to say thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte for your vacation, we are aware of the great importance and value that your "free time" has and I gather you did not feel disappointed at all. I hope, as you insinuate, that you will give us a second try next time you travel to the Yucatan Peninsula.
It will be a great honor.

Iván A. Fuentes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Turkish first
Duarte, California
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I have traveled in Mexico for many years but our favorite memories were of Captain Lafitte. After learning that Petit Lafitte was built a little further down the coast we booked it. What a great small resort. We were so impressed by the friendly staff who made you feel like family. Their service 1st rate. The breakfast and dinnners were very good. Be sure and try the margaritas and ceviche for lunch at the outdoor palapa. Fantastic!
Thank you everyone at Petit, we hope the hurricane misses you because we'll be back. Muchas Gracias from Duarte,, Ca.

Room Tip: Ocean View room 506 with balcony
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Anita and Ricardo,

Thank you so much for trying the "new" (well... we've been here for 5 years now, after our predecessor, Capitan Lafitte closed) version of Lafitte. We are delighted to see that someone who knew the original version decided to try the new one, many "old timers," have done that, but others are still mourning over the end of the Old Lafitte. I hope that your positive words and commendations become a motor that erases their hesitation.
The good news, is that your positve wishes for hurricane Ernesto to not damage us, manifested into reality.
We are operating normally.
We appreciate your mention of the Margaritas and Ceviche, yes, we agree, we put extra care in those two as they have become Petit lafitte's trademarks.
We are happy to hear about your intention of returning next year, after all, one of our most important missions is to establish long lasting relationships with our guests.
You guys are always welcome here.

Best Regards,

Iván Fuentes.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Our family has traveled a lot in the Yucatan, and our stay at Petit Lafitte was a pleasure in every way. From our host David to his friendly, accommodating and efficient staff people to the other guests, we enjoyed everyone we met. The food was tasty and fresh, the room was comfortable and the beach front was clean and beautiful. We'll be back.

Carol S.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Carol S,

Thank you very much for your kind words, they keep resonating in our heads and serve as motivation for a continued effort in the hospitality business.
We are very glad to hear that as frequent traveler to the Yucatan, one who has stayed in other various places and different types or hotels, you find your Petit lafitte vacation, as you say, "pleasurable in every way."
Thank you for the personal mention of David, he has a very good team of collaborators, most of whom have devoted many years of their lives to help us create Petit Lafitte. A lot of them work behind the scenes.
Glad to hear you liked the food, the beach and the comfort of your room, I hope that the experience you had with us and the memories of it, result in another visit, we would feel very glad to see your faces again.

In the meantime, enjoy life and thank you for your preference and generosity.

Yours truly,

Iván A. Fuentes.
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We were so happy to attend our son's wedding at Petit Lafitte. The entire staff treated us like family, knowing our names whenever they saw us. Ivan saw to every detail of the wedding and gave our son and daughter-in-law a wedding they will aways remember. Our bungalow was large and clean with all the amenities included. Our breakfasts and dinners were delicious and beautifully presented. It was so special to have authentic Mexican food at each meal. Their ceviche was outstanding. David, the concierge, helped over 30 of our family plan trips to Playa and Tulum. We plan to return to reunite with our new family.

Room Tip: bungalows are great for families.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Myra,

Thank you so much for all your collaboration in creating a wonderful experience for your Son's wedding. Both families were extremely cooperative and ready to have fun and enjoy the experience.
We are very, very thankful you all chose Petit Lafitte and allow for your Son and daughter in law to have a blissful destination wedding.
We enjoyed it just as much.
Thank you for your positive comments for our staff, and for our food.
And of course, we are already lookign forward to the proposed family reunion.
From now on, consider us your Mexican family and Petit Lafitte, your home-away-from-home.

Best Regards,

Iván Fuentes.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My boyfriend and I spent 4 days in this wonderful place. We arrived very late at night but the staff was waiting for us and made us feel very welcome. We stayed at the bungalow #1. It was just perfect! clean, nice, and just a few steps from the beautiful turquoise water of Playa del Carmen. The food was just delicious! always with the typical mexican touch. We always preferred to eat at the hotel than going out. David (the concierge) and Jesus (at the bar) were very kind and outstanding. We enjoyed this relaxing stay so much so we are definitely going back as soon as we get more vacation days from work.

Room Tip: The bungalow #1 is the best room. It is just a few steps from the water.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear RocioG,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for Petit Lafitte.
I realize your stay was brief, but I get you felt satisfied, which is always a nice thing to hear.
I am glad your boyfriend and you found this, a very pleasant and relaxing experience and got a warm greeting from the staff even when you arrived late at night.
Thank you for the comments on the food, and the personal mentions for David, our concierge and for Jesus one of our bartenders.They both have been in our team for a long, long time and they are two of the pilars that support our efforts, along with Gaspar, our chef, just to mention a few.
We are glad that you found us and decided to try us, hopefully, as you utter, we will get to see you again on a future vacation. That would be just great, a very rewarding experience for us.

Once again, thank you and best wishes.

Ivan Fuentes
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I went Dec 2011 and had a wonderful time. We are not the big/all inclusive resort types and now that are kids up grown up, we wanted to find a quite retreat. The resort accommodates a relatively small group of people, so the experience is intimate. My husband I made a number of friends while dining at the resort and during our evening visits to the bar.

The beach access was great (no problem finding beach chairs),the food was great, the personal service was over the top, fantastic. Petite Lafitte exceeded our expectations and we will be back again.

There was one thing which was a drag: They had to spray for mosquitos while were there; we had to vacate the area or stay indoors which I did not like. I assume most of the resorts perform this type of activity. I just wish it did not happen during the day while we were there.

Room Tip: Walk down the beach to Play Del Carmen, have lunch, pick up drinks and snacks for the room then take...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MonicaEM
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Monica EM,

Happy belated review! Well...It was happy for us.
Thank you for remembering to share your impressions of Petit Lafitte with others.
We are glad that your "not being the big resort types" and our being a small, beach resort merged to create a delightful experience for you and your husband.
As you point out, one of the pluses about Petit Lafitte, besides the staff, food,, quiet beach and such, is the other guests. For the most part, we have very nice, open, interesting guests.
(You just got added to the list) A lot of whom come year after year.
I am very happy to hear we exceeded your expectations.

I would just like to add a note about your observation about the mosquito spraying.
Well, it is done once a week and it takes about 25 minutes to cover the whole perimeter of the hotel's premises. So, not too bad considering the advantages. Sorry it was an inconvenience for you even if it was a minor one.
The products used in the process (pyrethins) are biodegradable and harmless to people, derived from botanical sources. (certain species of plants). And really help to repel mosquitos and other insects.

Thank you so much for your lovely review and feel welcome to a future return.
Or as we say in my country:
"Mi casa es su casa"

Iván Fuentes
Orange, California
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I have travelled a lot...about 25 countries...I have been to numerous hotels...you name it. At this point of my traveling journey, I find Petit Lafitte to be the most calming, peaceful, and PRIVATE. Privacy matters so much because I have been to 5 star hotels that are not very private. People say you get what you pay for but at Petit Lafitte, you get more, a lot more than what you pay for. Simply put, the service is superb (this is the number 1 reason why I love this hotel). Second, it is a beautiful and private hotel (and quiet...like a real vacation). Third, it is really quaint and beautiful. I had a wedding July 12, 2012 at a Petit Lafitte. I must admit that I am a very detailed oriented and organized individual (difficult to some people)...everything must be perfect perfect (not almost perfect). I had a pretty long list but Ivan and his staff fulfilled ALL of it. Yes, it is hard to believe that anyone could fulfill my wish list, but Ivan delivered. I am pretty surprised because at the beginning, Ivan and I didn't get a long very well...even up to the second week prior to the wedding...I was fuming a little...but when I got to the hotel, I got ALL of his attention. I normally like luxury things and didn't think Petit Lafitte could offer it, but they made it happen! My wedding was very beautiful, laid back, but luxurious at the same time (thanks to the flowers and decors). I know I was very particular about everything (I am one of those brides who hand made everything), but Ivan listened very patiently to fulfill my every wish. Everyone who were there loved that hotel. Yes, we are definitely coming back to renew our vows. Thank you Petit Lafitte for making my dream wedding come true!!! We miss you all!!!

Room Tip: Room 9 is where you get the most bang for your buck. It was our room for 7 days and we couldn't...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Dena,

Walking this path with you and James, for over 6 months, to create what you call a Perfect Wedding for you, your family and friends, was a wonderful, loving experience... Despite our rocky start. I feel like this experience was unique for me at the personal level, and from your words, it was equaly special for you too. I am so glad that you trusted our capabilities and finally, as the date approached, you saw that our staff and our vendors were there to deliver. I am lucky to have a team like the one that backs me up while producing weddings and events. I know it is hard to convey and transmit the confidence I have in them to a person who is 2,000 (or more) miles away. They deserve all the recognition as they know, what we are, what we are not and how we earned our name. So, I will share your comments with them.

On a separate note I want to thank you also for sharing your experience with other potential travelers, brides and families. It really helps close the circle that begun the day you first put your eyes on Petit Lafitte. Seasoned travelers like you have a different perspective and we take your words as sincere, that makes your positve review even more special.

We are delighted to hear that you are already thinking of a future return. I am sure that our paths will be entwined for a long... long...long time. Thank you for making that possible by being the other half of the equation.

You, your friends and family are dear to us and we hope to see many of you come back too.

On behalf of all the staff and family of Petit Lafitte.

Muchas Gracias