“What a Find!”

Ranked #7 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Lenexa, Kansas
“What a Find!”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband and I LOVE Petit Lafitte. An absolutely charming quiet low key resort right on the ocean. We stayed for 4 nights in Cabin #10 which was facing the water. In fact, you must walk through the sand to get to it. Don't worry. Your bags are carried to the cabin for you. All the bungalows have a front porch which was a wonderful spot to sit. It was a 1 minute walk over to the bar and they were happy to make our drinks in "to go" containers. David was extremely helpful with making a car reservation for $35 that was delivered right to the hotel for us. (insurance included) He also got ua a reservation to Rio Secreto when the website showed sold out. In fact, he cheerfully helped us numerous times. There seems to be no turnover in staff as people we talked to have been there 20 - 30 years. We met people that have been there more than once and we hope to be counted among them.

Room Tip: I loved our bungalow and would recommend it. There is no tv in the cabin but there is free internet...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear KS66215,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We find it rewarding when new guests like yourselves, come and readily capture the essence of Petit Lafitte.
Sorry your stay was only 4 nights, we hope next time you allow more time for us. You are welcome to become one of those repeat costumers you talk about.
Yes, David, with his 30 years experiences and 5 languages, is an excellent concierge not only helpful, but also efficient and considerate.
We are gald you got good deals on cars and Rio Secreto.
Thank you for mentioning the lack of T.V´s in the Cabins, you are right, the whole concept of the Bungalows was created with tranquility in mind. However, it is fair to add that if you are staying in a cabin and are hoping to watch a game of the news or something on T.V. we do have a game room with a T.V. plus ping pong and billiards.This was created with the guests in the bungalows in mind, also, when there is a big game or special event, we bring a T.V. to the Bar Area. drink and antertainment together!!!
Once again, thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte and for allowing us to serve you.

On behalf of the staff, and manegement,

I.F.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Turkish first
Leitrim
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I stayed here with our 3 young children in later October 2012 and had a very nice time. I'd concur with pretty much all that has been said in previous comments: very helpful and friendly staff, laid back and relaxing and nice beachfront location.

There is always room for improvement, however! Some of the public areas, around the pool in particular, are a bit care worn, and would be greatly improved by a lick of paint. The plastic furniture has also seen better days.

Food was fresh and good quality, but some reviewers give the impression that you're going to a Michelin star restaurant, which is not the case (in fairness, you're not paying for that either).

Also, having to order kids meals before 1pm is very cumbersome. Its hard enough to get a 4 year old to decide what they want for dinner at 7pm, never mind 1pm! We're talking hotdogs and spaghetti here; its really shouldn't be that difficult to prepare to order!

Entrance to the hotel is also a bit of a shambles, but you're only going to see that once or twice. The "zoo" seems to be part of someone else's property, and is a bit weird. We stayed away from that, not being keen on seeing animals in cages.

All of these are very minor quibbles, however, and I am a very fussy customer. I'd have no problem recommending this as a location in Playa Del Carmen. We stayed in Cabin 14 which was really lovely.

Highlight of the stay for us was the musical evening where a lady and a guy played jazzy versions of Michael Jackson classics on a guitar and violin at the beach bar. Sounds weird , but it was really magical.

Tip for swimming: it took me a couple of days how to figure out how to get into the sea. Basically, there's a sand bar that runs along the shore just where the waves break, which gathers small stones and pebbles. When you step on this, you might be a bit concerned that that part of the beach is rocky. Its isn't. Just hop over the sand bar and go beyond where the waves are breaking, when the water is really clear and you have sand underfoot.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank garrethmcd
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
Dear garrethmcd

Thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte as a destination for you family vacation.
We are glad that you, your wife and three children enjoyed the stay.
We are also appreciative of your sincerity of your comments and, while we are pleased to hear you enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere, beach location laid back atmosphere and excellent service by the staff.

We would like comment the following:

1.- Yes we totally agree with you, regarding the painting around the pool and the furniture. We are buying some new drink tables, to replace the ones that are worn.
2.- We are implementing a simple children menu of around 6-8 options for dinner.
3.- We have submitted (with all the neighbors) a request to the municipal government to fix the part of the road that is in bad shape, is good to remark that this part is only about one tenth of the road. The rest in very good conditions.
4.- The “zoo” is really not a zoo. It is a refuge (U.M.A.) for animals that were confiscated from the black market and the federal ecology and environmental authorities are unable to return to the wild, as they have been domesticated. Cages are more a necessity than a preference in this case. The U.M.A. should not be seen as a zoo, but as an effort to rescue and bring back to health these poor animals.
It is not property of the hotel, but the proprietor of the Center, allows the guests to visit.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the Wednesday night cook out dinner at the bar grill and the jazzy music we accompany it with. Alex and Sophie are very good musicians. Sophie the violinist is a classically trained musician who also plays in the Cancun Camerata. We are lucky to have them both be part of the experience.

Thank you once again for your review and the commendations, hopefully some day you will return and see the improvements.

Sincerely

Iván Fuentes
Adirondack, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I'm getting a head start on writing my review.....I'm lying in bed, in bungalow #5, dreading the thought of my plane trip back to New York in a few hours. It's 4am, dark out, but I can peek out my window and see the palm trees wrapped in rope lights on the beach. The only sounds I can hear are the ceiling fan, my friend's breathing, and the occasional unknown animal outside doing whatever animals do in the middle of the night...I've been here for seven days, and I'm not all that excited about going home.
Petit Laffite is a special kind of place. The experience is what keeps people coming back for more. The bungalows are comfortable, the food is outstanding, and the beach is wonderful. What separates Petit Laffite from other places is the employees who work here. Not only are they good at what they do, they work very hard at it, and they seem to enjoy interacting with the guests. All of the employees seem to multi task as well. It's hard to tell who has what title here. The waiters seem to be everywhere....in the restaurant, at the bar, checking on you at the beach...They are all very friendly and professional. The chefs are very visible and extremely accomodating, and the bartenders are outstanding also. I've seen the bartenders washing glasses, a waiter handing out towels, the general manager picking debris up off the beach, the chef making drinks, everybody helping out with stocking the bar....seems like everybody works together to give guests an unforgettable experience. The grounds are meticulous, the beach and pool very clean...these guys do a great job!
This was my third visit to Petit Laffite, and won't be my last. Aside from a few complications with the website (couldn't book transfers with PDC), I made all arrangements online, which was convenient. I traded emails with Luis regarding my reservation, and he was very helpful. I used STP Caribbe for round trip transfers, and they were great.
My vacation coincided with Dios del Muerto(?) which I was very interested in and the staff members tried to explain to me. They even went so far as to set up a traditional altar in the restaurant, which was a big hit and got photographed by most of the guests. We were also lucky enough to be there when a large group of Mexican guests with children stayed at the resort. The kids got dressed up in costumes and trick or treated at the bungalows....unfortunately, I wasn't prepared to give out candy. Next year I will bring some!
I would love to say we went on all kinds of adventures up and down the Mexican Riviera, but truthfully, we never left Petit Lafitte. We talked about going to Isle de Mujeres for a day, but decided we had a good thing going on right here and never moved. We did go for several beach walks, and we both decided Petit Lafitte was the best place on the coast. I walked around the big all inclusive up the beach, and couldn't wait to get back to Petit Lafitte. Their place was beautiful, the grounds were awesome, but I would have hated sitting among hundreds of beach chairs, people smoking, noisy jet skis interrupting the tranquility. The cookie cutter mentality is not for me. I also noticed people waiting for a shuttle to take them around the resort. One of the pools was apparently an activity pool, with ear splitting music and some kind of water aerobics going on, with some hot looking guy barking commands from the pool deck. And apparently you have to make reservations to eat. Yuk!
Give me the entertaining and always available staff at Petit Lafitte any day. I can't say enough about my friends Javier, Giovany, Baldi, Martin, Victor, Jose, Jose, Gazpar, Antonio, Manuel, David, Felipe, Luis, Jorge, and the rest. If I could, I'd take them all home with me so I could reciprocate their hospitality in New York. A million thank you's to all at Petit Lafitte!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ripley1747
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear Ripley 1747,
It is hard to begin responding to a review like yours. I mean, you definetely went out of your way to depict your experience...the ambiance... A lot of imagery in your words. It made me see things from a perspective different from the staff´s perspective. Yor depiction of the morning alternation of sounds and silence, was evocative.
Thank you so much for your review, your third visit, your awareness and input. We are lucky of being able to create relationships like the one we share with you. I mean we have guests, we have repeat guests and we have friends. In time we experience moments together and that collection of moments become deep inpressions in our hearts.
I am glad you saw Dia de Muertos and our altar and the food we prepare for such a traditional holiday in Mexico. Makes me wonder if the all inclusive hotels you saw on your beach walks have that. Maybe so, in a larger scale. (You are right, we are a world apart from that).
We work as a family, as a team and your observation of the spirit of collaboration, is really on the dot of where we aim to be. So we are very happy to read your words.
We hope you keep gracing us with future visits and recommendations.
We were thinking of you and our NYC guests during Sandy, we wish everything goes back to normal soon.

Until we meet again, the staff says hi and happy holidays.

Langenzersdorf, Austria
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We went here for a second honeymoon.
We had on of the rooms, not the small houses. Rooms are fine in size.
The food is really great - 1st class! Both in the evenings and the breakfast - lots of local dishes.
The staff is really helpful and nice!
The hotel is quite small which makes for a nice experience - not one of those large ressorts.
The other guests all were nice and behaved well.

What we didn't like so much:
Cleanliness is very good according to Mexican standard - but not up to the standard of very accurate Europeans.

Anyhow, we would return to this hotel if we come to Yucatan again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Dear reise21at,

Thank you so much for visiting the Yucantán Península, Riviera Maya and staying with us at Petit Lafitte during your second honeymoon.
We enjoyed your review, because it shows that there are European travelers who appreciate the Mexican "flavor" and the friendly atmosphere. We do not have a lot of European visitors, but the ones that choose us, seem to enjoy our style. We are very honored to read your opinion on our food. We like to think of it also as (in your words) "first class." We buy fresh produce everyday, as we do not have a big "walk in closet" that alone impacts food quality and flavor a lot.
This winter we are hiring a couple persons to help with the afternoon and evening cleaning. Normally we have that well covered but sometimes in the early evenings, after most of the help is gone, we are a little bit weak in that department.
So we are solving that with the inclusion of more staff to do that task in the evenings.
Thank you for pointing that out.

On behalf of all the staff and the management,
we want to say :
Danke für Ihren Besuch!

Iván Fuentes
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stayed 8 nights at cottage in Petit Lafitte and it was so comfortable. Hotel staffs are very kind and full of hospitality. Actually I was surprised to their hight-standard service.
We left very early morning so we did not expecting to have a breakfast on our departure day. However, they prepared sandwiches for us at night the day before we are leaving.
Thank you so much.
We enjoyed conversation with staffs, especially Mr.David. He is not only nice and friendly, but also reliable. We know that what the professional is from your hotel.
We will definitely stay Petit Lafitte when we visit next time! Thank you for your everything!

コテージに8泊しました。とても素敵なサービスに驚きました。こんなにホスピタリティーあふれるホテルはそんなに無いんじゃないかと思うくらいです。
出発の日私たちは朝早くにホテルを出なければならなかったのですが、彼らはそれを見込んで前夜に朝食用のサンドイッチを用意しておいてくれました。これを持って行くといいよ、と笑顔で渡された時は本当に嬉しかったです。もちろんそれだけではありません。その他色々と彼らの気遣いには本当に心が温まりました。またプラヤに来る時も絶対に泊まりたいホテルです。Davidさん、ありがとうございました。

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank milka1984
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear Milka1984,
Doumo arigatou gozaimasu,
(Excuse my poor japanese!)
We are very happy to see your review here and to read about all the positive experiences you left Petit Lafitte with. Thank you for mentioning the special attention, exemplified in the preparation of take away bags for early travel. That is how we built our name and also actions like that are where we put our creative energy.
To be recognized in your review serves as a motivation to continue our work.
We also want to say thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte as your Riviera Maya home-away-from-home, you come from so far away, we are honored.
We only hope that you give us the oportunity to serve you or your friends and family in the future.
Until then,
We send our warmest regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I chose this hotel because it was beach front, small, away from the party scene, and looked like a quiet place to stay when vacationing by myself, and it exceeded all my expectations. The staff was very friendly, greeting you by your first name when every we crossed paths. The beach was perfect, transparent turquoise water. The room was clean, and had all the necessary amenities. The hotel is a quiet place to stay if you want to read, lay in the sun and catch up on your reading. Don't stay here if you are looking for night activity, big fancy restaurants, or an expensive environment. The only downside I would say was the food, I wanted a little more Mexican and local flavor, not so much international all around cuisine. The other thing I had to my advantage I was told, is that I stayed during their low season, which meant not fighting of an umbrella or lounge chair at the beach, having the bar all for myself, and the undivided attention of the staff. Who by the way organized all kinds of trips for me during my stay.

Room Tip: If you ask for beach front room (not the bungalow) make sure you get a high floor room, otherwise it...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Stephanie R
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for your valuable review. It is nice that readers can get an outlook of how the atmosphere is here for lone female travelers.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the pristine uncrowded beach with turquoise waters, the tranquility and the "low season" yes, it is a very good time to travel, as you say it, you get undivided attention from the staff, the weather is great, there is plenty of beach chairs, hammocks and such, ideal for quiet vacation.
We hope you remember to visit again, now that you know where we are.
On behalf of all the staff at Petit Lafitte, thank you very much for your review and we wish you many, happy vacations.

P.S. Have a Boston Brownie at Faneuil Hall for me.

I. Fuentes
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed in the bungalow, then decided on the hotel for the better view. Excellent staff, really friendly, helpful and good fun. Walking down the beach and comparing resorts, ours just looked the best. Quiet, good beach, snorkeling right there, hammocks in the shade when it gets too hot. Food was good. Dinner and breakfast included. There were lots of places to eat lunch up and down the beach. Playa del Carmen is close by, can walk there along the beach or take a taxi. We shall return.

Room Tip: Staying in a bungalow away from the beach gives a jungle feeling. There's an animal sanctuary r...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nick F
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear Nick F,
We hope your return to Seattle was a happy one.
Thank you very much for writing your review of Petit Lafitte on Tripadvisor. We are very thankful for your positive comments, specially for the ones about the staff, the quiet beach and the fact you compared our resort to other neighboring resorts and felt ours looked the best. I see you got to expereience both the bungalows and the rooms. Apperently with satisfaction on both sides.
We all hope that as you say in your review, you will return someday, we will be honored to have your visit again, welcome to the family.

I.Fuentes