“Muy bueno”

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #6 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Muy bueno”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My husband and I chilled out at PL for a week in February, it was fabulous. We were in a ground floor room by the pool and had no complaints. We spent hours on the beach reading, swimming, and relaxing. We lunched at the bar a few times and I highly recommend the guacamole, the cebiche, and the drinks...Victor is a skilled bartender. The dining room was perfect. I love that I can go to breakfast and dinner with no shoes! Martin and Antonio ran the dining room with professional ease and the food was always perfect. My favorite breakfast was huevos Motuleños and my favorite dinner was puerco pibil. David arranged for our two outings and both exceeded our expectations. The first one was a cab that took us to Akumal and Yal-ku for snorkeling and then on to Tulum for a hike around the site...Yolanda was our cab driver and she took great care of us and it was really enjoyable to hang out with her all day. If you like snorkeling don't miss Yal-ku but get there before noon. It's gorgeous! The second outing was a day-long tour that included Chichen Itza, a mayan buffet lunch, swimming in a cenote, and a stop in Valladolid. We loved the whole thing. Sure the food at the buffet was not that great, but who cares. Chichen itza was awesome and the cenote swim was incredible...make sure you jump in from the highest platform because it is really an experience! The rest of the week we returned to our lazy days on the beach. It was a perfect vacation. We did go into Playa del Carmen a couple of times and really 5th Av. is not worth it. Visit El Fogon across from the mega mart for some tasty tacos. When we left PL we were sad as we have a policy not to return somewhere...life is too short. But we are rethinking that policy and I hope to be back at PL for a week of RR in 2015.

2 Thank Vanessa B
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear VanessaB,

Thank you so much for revising your policy to not return anywhere as a result of your stay at Petit Lafitte. That is the best compliment we can receive. We are glad you and your husband really enjoyed their stay and took advantage of the nearby attractions. We hope to see you again in 2015, you know where to find us now.

Warm Regards,

Iván Fuentes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My family and I (son who is 3 and myself and my husband) just returned from this hotel and instead of giving you my biased review, I thought I would just leave some observations and let you make a decision because some things are okay for some and some are not for others.

-Large bungalow with loft, can sleep up to 6 people.
-Breakfast with same menu day after day.
-Dinner menu changes nightly, we often went to PDC because we needed more variety.
-Water right in front of hotel rocky, but a few meters down, lovely swimming area.
-Massages next door 300 pesos.
-Pizza next door at Cocos Cabanas (we went twice)
-200 pesos taxi ride to PDC (we went three times)-10-15 min taxi ride.
-Easy to rent car, hard to find car seat (Petit has one but often it is being used by someone else)
-Don´t expect to get a beach chair near shade unless you are a returning visitor (it took me a few days to figure it out, but the ¨regulars¨. reserve chairs for each other every morning. We were awake at 6 am (we have a 3 year old) and were never able to find a chair.
-Smokers every where.
-They spray the grounds at least once a week for pest control. They spray the rooms as well. They respected our request not to have spray in our room.
-Free towels.
-Overall clean.
-Hard beds, better if you ask for mattress pad.
-Cheap and good drinks (mango smoothie great)
-Family friendly overall.
-Front desk people accomodating. Servers and bartenders a friendly.
-The rooster and peacock awake at 4:45 am and if you have a garden bungalow, can hear them.
Hope you found this helpful!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank MLL61
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hi MML 61,

Thank you for your observations. I liked your idea of writing what you saw without judging whether that was good or bad. Your scoring on the different aspects of your vacation indicate 4 points out of 5 in most categories, but the overall result was a 3 point review? (It seems that some of the TA, ends up tilting the scale even when you were trying to write an unbiased review). Just an observation, :)
Fair to add that though the breakfast menu is the same every day, it consists of two sections: One being the buffet table with a large variety of fruits, baked breads, fresh squeezed juices and fresh made granola, yogurts of various flavors, plus, coffee, or 6-8 varieties of tea. The other section being a menu list of more than 10 different hot breakfast specialties.

Yes dinner is a salad and antipasto bar, with one soup, and two entrée options, plus two or three desserts. But every day we change the entrees so no one meal repeats in a 15 day fixed menu. That is our version of variety. That is how it goes when we buy fresh produce and meats every day instead of storing large amounts of meats in a walk in freezer.

Yes the situation with the regulars reserving beach chairs at incredible times in the morning is something we do not encourage or like specially since the average use of a beach chair is likely 3-4 hours a day (or else you burn even in the shade) to occupy a chair with a towel or books or other belongings all day long is absurd. We have around 60 beach chairs and 10 hammocks to accommodate around 90-100 guests when the hotel is full.

Smokers, yes they are allowed in open spaces, definitely not in the dining room.

The rest of your observations are right on the dot. Thank you for sharing!

Wishing you happy, hassle free vacations in the rest of the year!

Boston
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This was our second trip to Petit Lafitte. I can only echo the numerous glowing reviews that have already been posted. This is a great place for those seeking a relaxing beach vacation in a peaceful low-key beautiful beach setting where the staff are extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming. This is a place primarily for people who want to relax, read, play ping pong or pool, swim in the ocean or pool, walk on the beach and perhaps do some day excursions. One nice bonus is the animal rescue center that is run by the hotel on an adjacent property. It does not disturb the peacefulness of the hotel but it is really fun to visit--there are parrots, chickens, pheasants, turkeys, toucans, and deer.

Room Tip: I don't think that there are any "bad" rooms here; it is just a question of what you p...

1 Thank stmalo7
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hola St Malo 7,

We like your Tripadvisor name. It shows knowledge about the pirate namesake of our resort. We are glad you enjoyed your second time around with us and that you are writing about it. We agree with you about the fact that having two different hotel sections, the standard section and the bungalow section with each one of them carrying three different room categories allows for planning according to preference and budgets. And even a garden view standard room like the one you stayed in, provided comfort and excellent location. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the animal rescue center, which is located I the back of the property in the jungle side. Well it is not run by the hotel, but it definitely another little spot to visit for children and adults alike. Thank you for taking time to write your review, have a wonderful spring and summer and maybe see you again in the winter.

Warm Regards,

Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This was my seventh year visiting Lafitte and I never tire of their personalized welcome, friendly, homey atmosphere and fun staff.
The fact that the same "boys" that used to be there are now grown men with familys continuing working there, is an testment to the quality of the place. A very family oriented community that really appreciates their loyal staff and guests.
This is not a "resort" with crowds and lots of activities. It is a place to relax and recouperate from the stresses of city life.

Room Tip: High floors with "Ocean views" are good value with lots of light and private balconies alt...

Dear RobDactor,

Not only a fan and loyal guest, but an advocate…your continued visits to Petit Lafitte inspire commitment…the goal, unchanged…Providing a pleasurable, relaxing vacation with personalized service and dedicated attention to your needs.
You are right, this small family operated beach hotel, believes in genuine caring not only for the guests, but for the staff…There is no secret formula. Back in the early 90s I once read a sentence by famous author Phillip B. Crosby in his book “The Art of Getting your Own Sweet Way.” That loyalty is directly proportional to the level of appreciation somebody perceives. We like to think that we are valuing the persons, guests, staff, vendors et cetera, that day-by day create the Petit Lafitte Experience.

Thank you for playing your role with care as well and see you for your eight visit.

Fond Regards,

Roma
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Their logo, simplemente diferente, explains perfectly what you will experience if you decide to stay at the Petit Lafitte Resort:
in an area plenty of huge, crowded, noisy resorts the PL is simply the place where you will find relax, authentic mexican hospitality, good food, wonderful beach and sea (the only risk can be the wind).
From the reception where Luis, Eduardo, Lorena and David will always be ready to help and satisfy you, to all the staff (Javier, Antonio, Geovani and all the other guys) everybody will do his best to try to make your vacation unforgettable (and a particular attention has always been given to our needs for Giulia, our 3 years old daughter).
Regarding the food you will taste a complete breakfast (sweet or salted, as you prefer), a very nice dinner (soup, salad, main course and dessert), and a nice lunch at the bar on the beach, where you will find very reasonable prices.
Definitely a must go if you are looking for relax and charme.
Gracias amigos!
PS: last but not least there is also a little zoo with cocoritos, tucans, etc that Giulia enjoyed much!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Stefano, y familia,

Thank you very much for your kind review, we are delighted to see that our Roman guests also enjoy the Mexican flair and hospitality of Petit Lafitte.
You came a guest and left a friend.
We hope to see you again next time you visit Riviera Maya.

Ci vediamo dopo amici,

I.Fuentes
Charles Town, West Virginia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I was very excited to stay here after having read all the reviews - everyone seems to love it. However, after our stay, my husband and I decided it really wasn't worth the money. Sure, it has a beautiful beach, wonderful staff, and GREAT drink prices, but I can't overlook the obvious things that made our stay less enjoyable.

No food available inbetween meals, which left us with a large gap of being hungry from 4-7:30. Have to go next door to Coco's Cabanas. I wish they would just have a small menu available all day with some appetizers and sandwiches on it.

Wi-fi, which they claim is available in all rooms and bungalows, is entirely useless in many bungalows, and the staff even admits it when you ask about it. It connects, but will not load a webpage.

The bed linens and furniture are very, very old. The comforter looked like something from the 80's.

The bungalows are extremely dark - very poor lighting.

The food for breakfast was good - great selection - but for dinner it was just OK. The main entrees are pretty tasty, but as a huge dessert lover, I was extremely disappointed. They only have two dessert choices which are the nasty soaking wet sponge cake flavorless pre-packaged bite-size style.

Extremely far from town. We had a rental car because we wanted to do many things in the area. I can imagine a taxi would cost quite a bit, and with all the fantastic restaurants available in Playa, how could you just eat at the hotel everyday? The taxi in and out of town would cost you more than your meal.

They don't provide you any information about the hotel's amenities when you arrive. I knew dinner and breakfast were included, but they tell you the dining hours when you check in and expect you to remember the specific hours for each meal. No map of the hotel, no details whatsoever. So when we showed up for dinner the first night we were just standing there in the middle of the dining room looking at everyone and everyone staring at us. Do we sit anywhere? Do we wait for a host to seat us? Are sodas included? Is coffee included? How does this work? Do we have to sign anything before we leave? I would have GREATLY appreciated a typical welcome booklet most hotels provide.

Not enough palapas and beach chairs on the beach. We only spent one day on the beach here, and we had to drag the last two beach chairs into a spot together, and move them throughout the day to stay in the shade. It was rather annoying, most people seemed to put their towels on a chair and then not use it for the next 5 hours. Had we come later than we did, I would have been very upset to not have a chair, and have to just lay in the sand next to the 8 empty lounge chairs with towels set on them.

ROOSTERS. This property has roosters which woke us up at 4:30 AM the first morning. They proceeded to crow for the next 3 hours. We wanted to sleep with the windows open and enjoy the fresh breeze, but after that night, we had to shut all the windows and turn the A/C on to help drown out the sound.

If you are looking for a spot to lay on the beach all day, not venture into the area, don't care about food, sure, this is the spot for you. But if you have any desire to see the sights and enjoy the local restaurants, this is not the place.

There's a small massage hut just down the beach. I got an amazing massage for $30 for one hour. It was a fantastic deal!! Highly recommend. Also jet skis are available next door for $50 for a half hour. We were intending to rent one, but didn't get around to it.

1 Thank Natalie C
Dear Natalie,

Thank you very much for your review. Your comments are very valuable and I wish the following response, bring a bit of more light about identity and expectations.

Definitely our bar, plus drink and food prices are for us a big asset. I wish you had commented on the service, it leaves a void in your review, but still a lot of what you say deserves a comment.

Food times: Between breakfast 3 hours, lunch 4 hours and dinner 3 hours, guests have a total of 10 hours during the day to eat. I am sorry, but to extend the service hours beyond this, cause more problems than solutions. We imagine that most guests will be able to use those 10 hours of food service to avoid being hungry, we are sorry that did not suffice for you. For those guests that for some odd reason miss a meal, our neighbors Cocos Cabañas, have a fantastic brick oven pizza, among a wider list of items. We totally concur with you that Playa del Carmen is a culinary paradise, consistent with that idea, we do not serve food all day!

Wi-fi, some old antennas were replaced and the problem has been solved.

Bed Linens. We have replaced more than half of our previous linens and will continue until all of them are changed.

Desserts, all our breads and desserts are made here. I agree, we need to improve, I personally do not like cakes being cut in the bite-size pieces. The manager knows this already and will be corrected. Tow options that change every day is what we do and that is how it goes.

Far from town: Well, yes, 10 minute cab ride, 6 miles +/- to the center of town. What we lose in distance we gain in privacy on the beach. You should see the beaches down town, crooowwwded. But some people like crowds.

Information: The welcome-house-tour is brief and give you the essential info specially food times. (Just as I wrote it earlier, people get the gist of the story and learn the details along the way). If people can remember that breakfast is served from 7-10 (kind of normal anywhere) Lunch 12-4 and dinner 7-10 no one should have to remember the minutes right? .
The good news is that we are working now in creating a booklet with all that info so each room has one. So in other words, we agree with you a booklet is a good idea.

Palapas on the beach…yes February usually brings a lot of repeat costumers, some of which tend to get territorial. (We do not like this). WE TOTALLY AGREE That to put a towel on a beach chair and not use it for a couple of hours (sometimes more) is uncalled-for. Bullying if you ask me. We just purchased some umbrellas (canvas) to help solve the issue.

ROOSTERS: They are by no means part of our property, they were in the neighbors land just north of us. People think they are ours because we have a bird sanctuary with toucans, peacocks and other birds. Believe me we have been in the business long enough to not be careless like that. Last I heard, one of the partners talked to the neighbor and the following week there was a delicious "Mole" meal at the house. Have not heard anyone mention roosters since.

I hope readers get a clearer picture, we understand we are not for everyone… Yet we really try to provide a product with an unpretentious outlook, excellent service and personality.

Wishing you happy travels to come,

I.Fuentes
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is our third year at Petit Lafitte, and it is like arriving at our second home for a vacation. After walking the beach the first year and seeing the crowds from the mega resorts, we knew we had made the right choice. If you are looking for the warmth and ambience of a small resort, you will not do better. Our only suggestion for improvement would be to install more palapas on the beach for shade - otherwise we could not be happier

Room Tip: We think the Ocean View Bungalows are just great - able to enjoy the ocean breeze and have a private...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hola Morrisdb,

Another threepeat guest! (Like the last reviewer). We are honored to be your home away from home. Keeping the same staff and learning guest’s names is one of the things that allow us to create that home like feel. BTW we have purchased some portable umbrellas that can be placed on the beach in the busy season. So there is now more shade, it is not palapas, but nice canvas umbrellas.

Thank you so much for your kind words and loyal business.

See you next time!