My girlfriend and I just returned from a fantastic 7-day vacation at Rosewood Mayakoba. Although I have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean (and a few in Mexico) at most of the “top-rated” properties, this is by far my favorite resort.
Here is how I would rate each component of the resort:
I booked via AMEX Platinum so at the time of check-in, we were upgraded to a huge two-level Deluxe Overwater Lagoon Suite. From the water, you enter through the a foyer which opens up to a dining room and then a living room with a huge flat screen TV, full size bar and powder room with a shower. Floor to ceiling glass ran on one side of the entire room. Upstairs, a large bedroom overlooked the lagoon and the bathroom was amazing. It spread both indoors and outdoors with a shower in what I call a private courtyard. Although the walk to the beach was about 8-10 minutes from our suite, it was a nice way to get a little exercise if we decided to walk. Golf carts ran often so a quick ride was always available.
We thoroughly enjoyed the cuisine at the three restaurants. We ate breakfast every morning outside at Casa Del Lago (CDL). The cold breakfast selections and juices were tasty and the accompaniments of eggs, pancakes, French toast, etc. from the menu were all very good. We typically ate lunch at Punta Bonita (PB). The selection of salads, sandwiches and snacks were again excellent. We split going out to dinners between CDL and PB. CDL was more formal and offered more American cuisine like pastas, beef tenderloin, duck. PB was more casual and had a Mexican and Tapas flair. Two nights we ate off-property at Banyan Tree and Mandarin which I would recommend doing. We also had some sushi and cocktails at Agave Azul Raw Bar. If CDL has the wine and cheese tasting, definitely do it.
The resort has three fantastic pools. We really enjoyed the CDL pool where the size, views, service, and architecture are all incredible. I am not exaggerating when I say that we were the only people using that pool most days. Complete serenity. The beach infinity pool at PB was also beautiful. This is definitely where people (and their kids) go during the day. Plenty of cabanas and chairs around the pool and on the beautiful white, sandy beach. The ocean was clean and spectacular with just light waves to enjoy. Since my last visit, the beach has definitely shrunk so hopefully there are plans to increase the beach/sand area like they did in many other areas around Cancun.
My girlfriend enjoyed a relaxing massage one day at the spa. She was very complimentary of the facilities and staff. They were very pleasant and professional. The facilities are some of the best you will ever see. Definitely splurge and book something.
I played some golf right after the PGA tour was at El Camaleón. The course bends through three distinct landscapes - tropical jungle, dense mangroves, and oceanfront stretches of sand with holes bisected by massive limestone canals.
Course was in fantastic shape so book a tee time and enjoy a quick round of golf as I didn’t see too much play going on.
We were very impressed with the responsiveness, caring, and thoughtfulness of the entire staff at the resort. It all began with a quick and efficient pickup in their Escalade from the airport and finished the same way. Everyone from the pool wait staff, waiters in the restaurants, spa attendants, even the people that drive the boats and golf carts really took great pride in always addressing us by our names and always being very proactive in delivering an amazing client experience. If you are used to Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton service, you will love Rosewood Mayakoba.
I would highly recommend this luxurious property to the most discerning traveler. Please feel free to email me with any questions or if I can provide you with any additional insight. Adios!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rosewood Mayakoba is situated on the Riviera Maya. This luxury resort in Mexico offers spacious suites and is located south of Cancun and north of the charming seaside village of Playa del Carmen.Surrounded by the emerald embrace of the jungle and caressed by warm Carribbean breezes, is a resort of rare luxury and indulgence. Rosewood Mayakoba is imbued with the unique spirit of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. A journey to this serene world, immersed in the dense green perfume of the jungle, captivates the soul with unimaginable tropical beauty,and pure, simple refinement. The ecological enclave of Mayakobá is a new, enlightened model of true luxury hospitality that celebrates the land without compromising it. Mayakoba embraces the government restrictions on development and mangrove preservation which has always been a top priority for the developers and designers. The Madrid-based construction company OHL, with 25 years of experience in Mexico, owned the land for many years before choosing how to build upon it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Rosewood Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rosewood Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Rosewood Mayakoba Playa Del Carmen
- Rosewood Mayakoba Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen