Rosewood Mayakoba
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$490
US$463
US$325
US$254
  • Breakfast included
The Palm at Playa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$1,345
Melia.com
US$495
US$425
BlueBay
Playa Palms Beach Hotel(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$153
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,124
US$868
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$669
US$363
  • Beachfront
Catalonia Playa Maroma(Playa Maroma)
US$490
US$480
Orbitz.com
Allegro Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$224
US$174
  • Pool
1,871 results
All reviewspunta bonitaplunge poollagoon suiteoutdoor showercasa del lagojose mariaspa islandsense spatequila librarybanyan treegolf cartbutler serviceeco tourfour seasonssun deckpersonal butlerlas ventanas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Nicest people you'll meet. Natural beauty and immaculate landscaping. Helped make my 12 year old's birthday very special. Great place for couples with or without kids. The Kids Club kept them entertained at the right times, within easy distance of us at the pool and they could come and go as they [ or we ;) ] pleased. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: I did not mind being close to main reception building since it allowed us to walk to meals if we didn't want to wait the 5 minutes for the golf cart. Room 205. But rear lagoon view was somewhat tainted due to seeing back of large spa building amid the jungle foliage.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Just returned from a 5 night's stay at Rosewood with my husband - this was our "babymoon". Read some 3-star reviews on Tripadvisor after we had booked the hotel and was a little concerned re: service, kids, bicyles, food etc. but need not have worried! We had the most fantastic time! I'll address some of the concerns we had initially as other reviewers have done such a fabulous job explaining the rooms/facilities/surroundings on many of the 4 and 5 star reviews.

*Check in / General Service - Absolutely top notch. Upon arrival, we were greeted by our last name, served a chilled welcome drink, then taken to reception. Check-in took 10minutes, then we were provided a map and provided a brief explanation of where the restaurants were etc. Whisked down to the motor boat upon where we were provided fresh hand towels and driven to our suite. Once we arrived at the suite, the butler was waiting just outside our suite to greet us (our luggages were already there of course). Gave us a brief tour of our suite, where all the switches were etc. The service around the pool/beach was also good with frequent replenishment of water bottles and buckets of ice though a couple of times the drinks orders were a little on the slow side to arrive. The restaurant dinner service was also a "tad" slow at times but more on that later... Throughout our entire stay, everyone was so friendly and helpful - always providing service with a smile. No complaints here.

*Golf carts/Bicycles - We requested two bikes on Thursday morning with our butler, she said there was currently a shortage but some should free up later as people were checking out. I asked her to leave the bikes outside our suite and by 5pm when we arrived at the suite from the beach, the bikes were there. It should be noted that some guests seem to "abandon" there bikes during their stay at various places, so it does take time for the staff to locate the bikes and have them sent back to the lobby area upon the guest's check out etc. We didn't mind the wait at all as we had the golf carts which were constantly whizzing by to take us from our suite to the beach or lobby area whenever we wanted. We stayed in suite 414 - which is under a 10min walk to the lobby but a 30min walk to the beach. However, since the moment we arrived, the golf carts were never a problem. If we didn't spot one as soon as we stepped out of our suite, we simply had to walk 2-3minutes before one came by to offer us a lift to whereever we were headed.

*Kids - surprisingly still a number of young kids at Rosewood during our stay (tried to avoid school/easter holiday period because of this very reason!). Was only bothered the 1st day - when we were relaxing by the beach pool and 2-3 kids were constantly bombing into the swimming pool/yelling/screaming along with their father who kept throwing football/frisbees in the pool for the kids to catch by diving into the pool. Albeit this lasted only an hour or so it was still highly annoying (as I was trying to relax and have a snooze!) Besides this incident, no complaints about the kids - all well behaved and supervised.

*Rocky/shallow beach - Yes, the beach is indeed rocky. Lot of pebbles/rocks along certain entry points in the beach for the first 3 meters max. There is also at some points a "dip" in the sand so best you don't fly running into the beach or you will be in for a shock! After the first day though, we got the handle on this problem. We could tell by watching other people, where the rocky points were. There are some entry points where are there NO rocks or dips - so you just need to watch yourself the first time and be observant of others to find the best path into the water. We never had issues with the rocks after our first day. The beach is shallow - its waist deep even if you go further out into the sea - which for me, I actually enjoyed that as I am not a strong swimmer! The actual beach wasn't too busy/crowded, so it was easy to relax on the lounge chairs.

*Food - This is the only part I did not fully enjoy. As mentioned before the breakfast menu/buffet is fabulous, especially the fruit selection being so fresh! Recommend the "green juice"! Service was also great during breakfast. Lunch at Punta Bonita (next to beach pool) also has a good menu and is fairly priced but the dinner selection isn't quite as promising. The food is expensive - which should be expected at a resort - however the quality of the food was not matching the price being paid. For 2 people, expect to pay around $130-$150 for dinner (incl tax and tip) with 1-2 drinks being included. We ate at Azul twice (Japanese/Tequila Library). The sashimi pieces were nice - they come in 8 pieces for $18 a plate. Sushi roll prices are around $15-18 mark per roll - LOT of rice on the roll which I didn't love but anyways. Fried rice was $25 or so from memory and that was pretty average. Food was "ok" not great and for the price I would expect something better than ok? Service was a tad slow (but I was on vacation so trying not to let that get to me!) Room service is much cheaper and the food was actually good - so this might be better value. Didn't have dinner at the main restaurant (Casa Del Lago) so can't comment on that one. Had dinner at Saffron in the Banyan Tree - again prices are similar (high $10's for appetizers, mid $30's for mains) and enjoyed that restaurant setting more than the settings at Rosewood as it felt more like an actual restaurant versus a resort restaurant. I also didn't think mocktails at $13 each were appropriately priced - Saffron had it priced at $9 mark which is more appropriate for a non-alcoholic beverage. Overall I would hope the quality of the food improved more in the future at the resort to match the prices being charged.

Would love to see an actual bar near the beach pool area - so people can just sit outside and relax having a drink whilst people watching and what not. Loved the spa treatment and the facilities were great - we didn't use it at all because we were keen just to relax in our plunge pool after the day at the beach.

Tips - We went via Walmart in Playa Del Carmen before arriving at Rosewood. We bought a few cans of beer and the staff were good about stocking it in the fridge for us upon our arrival. My husband just took some cans with him to the beach and put it on the bucket of ice which was provided. You could do the same with sparkling water, soda etc if you don't want to pay $6 for a can of coke on the resort.
- Make sure to go on the eco-tour boat ride which leaves at 11am - takes 30min and you can see the different wildlife that live around the mangroves.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ilsy80
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

Dear Ilsy80
Thank you very much for your review and feedback regarding your recent Babymoon with us. I was very pleased to read that you gave us a "Best week ever" review and enjoyed hearing all the positive points. Thank you as well for your constructive feedback on our Agave Azul restaurant. While we receive many positive comments on the food and service there, I understand it was not exceptional and I will definitely go back with my Master sushi chef and culinary team to review your feedback and ensure we are delivering consistently a great experience with good value. Appreciate as well your comments on pricing of mocktails.. I have reviewed the pricing and have already made the change to $9 as you are correct, at $13 it was not a great value and priced similar to regular cocktails. While we only provide the freshest of ingredients including fresh squeezed juices, we need to always ensure we do not overcharge. Many thanks for the feedback and look forward to having you return hopefully with your new son or daughter.. Congratulations and wish you the best.. Warm Regards..Graeme Davis..Managing Director

Reviewed 24 April 2013

5 star hotel with excellent customer service. We brought our 7 month old and they couldnt make the trip easier for us. We also used a babysitter at night which we highly recommend. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank telzer
Reviewed 23 April 2013

if you are a distinguished classy traveler of ego upscale locations this is the best location in the world, let alone Mexico.
Carved out of the jungle this property sits on man made lagoons filled with fresh cenote water the color of the Caribbean Sea. You arrive by a electric powered duffy boat to your suite...exceptional experience..
I stayed in suite #408 which was an over water luxury lagoon suite you must try this suite unbelievably wonderful experience I could have stayed there for a month!
I could live in the bathroom..
Indoor and out door showers..
the bed was a dream...
I cant wait to go back maybe during the PGA Mayakoba Classic in November.

Room Tip: #408 is a special over water suite, romantic and private, you are in the heart of the jungle with a telescope to watch the wildlife which is everywhere around you. But they are all great!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Patsy C
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We experienced poor service and found the resort vastly overpriced. Went here for our honeymoon and we were sorely disappointed with the level of service. From a botched welcome and check in, to $11 diet cokes, to poorly maintained bicycles, this resort has clearly either seen better days or found a way to hack Conde Nast's people's choice ratings. There were even issues with the room (lack of functioning lighting) that we never taken care of after repeated requests. Aside from an excellent breakfast, the food was average. The beach was small/shallow. The Spa is certainly a high point and the treatments were excellent, but hardly worth flying to Mexico for. In our estimation, this is a $500/night resort at best - NOT a $1000+/night resort. Worst part? When we brought these issues to Rosewood's attention, they didn't even reply.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank aandagreen

Dear aandagreen. Thank you very much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read that we failed to create an exceptional experience for you. We take great pride in the service and amenities that we offer to each our guests visiting Rosewood Mayakoba. We have received so many accolades from other guests on the excellent experiences they have received and commented on as well on Trip Advisor as well as voted as one of the best in Conde Nast's Readers Choice. Unfortunately in your case we failed terribly and for that we are very sorry. I hope that we can have a chance to make it up to you and understand exactly went wrong as our pricing for diet cokes and sodas are $4.50 in all our restaurants, bars and in the room and I have a fully time mechanic looking after our bicycles with no other complaints. We must ensure our bicycles are in excellent condition as the safety of our guests is critical. I look forward to connecting and am providing my email address graeme.davis@rosewoodhotels.com so you can email directly to me so I can understand the issues and ensure we make the necessary changes to ensure we consistently create exceptional experiences every time. I look forward to speaking soon and thank you for your feedback.. Warm Regards. Graeme Davis Managing Director