“Private And Unique - Food Could Improve”
Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #2 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Accessibility makes this a great spot for a quick getaway from Nashville. The deluxe overwater lagoon suites beat the tiny beachfront studios if you want privacy, size, and a more unique experience. The service was impeccable most of the time but fell short for us at the wrong time. We almost missed our flight because checkout took a while and I couldn't get them to retrieve our bags. I ended up retrieving them myself, something which should obviously never happen at a luxury resort. A member of the staff happened by on a golf cart as I was halfway back to the lobby, was quick to help, and I think mildly horrified that his fellow staff members had fumbled service so badly.

Lunch and dinner options weren't to the standard we expected but but breakfast was a great experience each day.

We visited Banyan Tree for comparison and I think the Rosewood is a cut above.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jarratt B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,803)

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at the rosewood mayakoba and had the best week of our lives! From the moment we arrived on the property we were pampered. The staff is second to none. Within the first 24 hours everyone knew our names.

We stayed in an overwater lagoon suite. Perfect for honeymooners as it was very private and secluded. We had an outdoor shower and the plunge pool (which all suites there have). The bedroom gets very dark which was perfect for us needing lots of sleep!

We had breakfast each morning at case del lago and the food was amazing. Full continental breakfast bar and a la carte items. We were so full each day. The beach was our favorite place to lounge each day as the pool was a little more quiet. We were waited on hand and foot everywhere we went.

Laita, one of the concierges, helped us book golf, a snorkeling excursion, dinner at the banyan tree next door, and transportation. She made it so easy for us to just show up and be whisked away.

All 3 restaurants were great. Punta Bonita is Mexican and has a mariachi band each night which was fun. Agave azul has good sushi and really good Thai options. Case del lago has really good Italian food.

We had an absolutely amazing time and can't wait to go back soon!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
31  Thank Jpbarnes12
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed for 3 nights as part of a mini-conference so had a villa with a less scenic view up the main road end. Which I was happy with as I didn't use the beach area at all except in the evenings and it only took me about 1 minute on my villa bike to get home.
Arrived late evening, whisked to my villa, explored it up and down, saw the plunge pool, got changed and jumped in after a long hot flight, hot transfer and discovered quite abruptly the water was hot :-( - would have loved a cold plunge pool :-)
The whole concept is built around luxurious privacy, and very much suited for couples, lovers and some cases - families. Not for single business men.
All the mod-cons were there so happy with that. Breakfast was disappointing though. Minimalist would be the word I'm looking for.
So, if you are happy with a holiday where you spend it all in the resort then this is brilliant.
Glad I had the opportunity. If I had the cash and desire, I would return - but with someone special.

Room Tip: If you have deep pockets - go for the beach area
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AlphaVictor2
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary over thanksgiving week. We had an overwater lagoon suite that was absolutely amazing - 5 stars

Food at the Punta Bonita and Casa de Lago was excellent , however Agave Azul did not live up to expectations - i would recommend avoiding this one - 4 stars

Overall service was great, one small misstep on getting menus from Punta Bonita delivered to our room for ordering in, but other than that service was on point - friendly staff always wearing a smile - 4.5 stars

If I could make one suggestion, it would be to get more bicycles! When we arrived we were told there were none available and that our name would be added to the waiting list. I guess our number never came up as we never got bicycles. Given the 5-star status of the resort, purchasing additional bicycles should be fairly easy to accomplish. Perhaps something to work towards in the future - 3 stars

This is a resort we would recommend to others and will more than likely pay a return visit

6  Thank Deborahjhn
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was a beautiful resort with amazing service. We stayed in an over the water lagoon suite that was fantastic. The bed was very comfortable & you could completely black out the room with great window shutters. Our butler would find us, no matter where we were, to help with reservations, make sure we didn't need anything & address any other concerns. He had fresh cream for my morning coffee in our refrigerator daily. Loved that. Pool service was great with lots of little snacks passed out throughout the day. Food was good & we did try some meals at other Mayakoba resorts. They had a complimentary car service to take us to the other hotels for dinner. Rather than doing the breakfast buffet every day, we ordered a la carte breakfasts off the menu. Very filling & saved a chunk of change.

There were a few issues that were a little disappointing - we chose this resort so my husband could play some golf. It turns out there was a PGA tour event taking place & the course was closed. I never saw any mention of this on their website prior to our vacation. Major bummer. While my husband was able to play on a nearby course (& the resort helped to book a tee time), he was on his own getting there & back. I would have hoped the hotel would have gone out of their way to accommodate their golfing guests when their course was closed. Not much money but paying $20 for a taxi was annoying to me.

The other issue was a little food poisoning. We only ate our meals at the resort, so I know it had to come from there. And it was before we tried any of the other Mayakoba resorts. As a gastroenterologist, I am pretty familiar with the timing of these sorts of things & I think it came after we had smoothies. Maybe the ice they used since we had different kinds. I don't know. Not some terrible explosive type of thing but it was a bummer. I can't remember the last time I got sick in Mexico. I would expect better quality control from such a nice resort.

One final thing that was a little unique was the way the resort was situated. The beach was about a 1/2 mile from the front of the resort. Our room was on the path that went straight to the beach & we loved getting on our bikes to pedal down there for meals or lounging by the pool. I also really liked how we had 2 completely different pools to chose from, each with a different feel. And we found our favorite place was often sitting in our plunge pool staring at the lagoon behind our room. So peaceful. While we loved all the different vistas, if you are looking for 100% beach, you might prefer a resort that is less spread out.

Would we go back? Probably. But next time I think I would like to try Las Ventanas in Cabo. It is a shorter flight for us. But then it would be difficult to go to Cabo and not stay at Palmilla, one of our favorite Mexico resorts.

13  Thank brittdrake
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear BrittDrake,
On behalf of all of us here at Rosewood Mayakoba, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and provide a review of your experience with us. We know you have many options when you travel and we’re honored to have been your host on your most recent visit. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience with us overall and gave us high marks on the service. However, I was disappointed to learn that you and your family fell ill during your stay. We did not have any other reports of food poisoning at the property during this time. We do take food safety as one of our most important priorities here at the resort. We adhere to the strictest guidelines, purify our water through an extensive osmosis system and filtration system for general water and micron filters at our ice machines. We have also received Crystal certification of health from the government of Mexico that rates us as one of only 175 hotels in Mexico with this highest award of health safety distinction. We have since followed up on your incident and continue to assure we have an excellent record of food safety with thousands of guests experiencing our property without becoming ill. I am very sorry you fell ill and was also glad to read it was a short setback. I truly appreciate your feedback on the golf course being closed for the 7 days during the PGA event held here every year. We will certainly ensure next time we advise all of our arriving guests of this closure before the time of booking.. please accept our apologies. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to experience Rosewood Mayakoba as we will certainly ensure you have an exceptional experience.. I would highly recommend Las Ventanas if you decide to travel to Los Cabos as our sister hotel there has certainly set the standard for incredible experiences well before Palmilla. Thank you again for your honest feedback as this is the only way we can improve. Warmest regards..
Graeme Davis
Managing Director

Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a beautiful, well-run resort on the Riviera Maya, part of the Mayakoba private complex. Having toured all three Mayakoba resorts, the Rosewood is definitely head and shoulders above the other two, having more privacy and a higher level of service and privacy. The individual villas, each with plunge pool and private rooftop sundeck are perfect for a romantic getaway. The three restaurants are satisfactory, and we preferred the restaurant on the beachfront, simply for the ambiance and views. Both pools are nice and special in their own way. The inland pool is more private. Spa facilities were very nice, with high end furnishings and top notch service. A real high point for us was the staff, who were friendly and always available, yet not obtrusive. Overall, a well designed (architecture), luxurious and well-run resort. Very similar to the experiences I have had at multiple Amanresorts, but at a slightly larger scale.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Chazzzzzzz
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights last week. Weather was not good--cloudy and rain just about all the time. Not the Resort's fault obviously, but it does put a bit of a damper on a pool/beach getaway. That said, we still had a wonderful time, and the resort is fabulous. The pros were the room, the service, and the food, and the cons were the beach and pool area. On the pros side, our room was fabulous. We had an oceanfront room and it was great. We were able to sit on our patio and be about 10 feet from the ocean. We couldn't have asked for more. I know a lot of reviewers say they preferred the lagoon view, but if you are an ocean person I would definitely choose the ocean front rooms. The service was indeed over the top. The people were so nice--going out of their way to remember your name and make sure you were being taken care of. And, they seemed genuinely upset that it was raining so much. I hate it when the locals say things like "we really need the rain, it keeps things green." The staff at Mayakoba was smart enough not to say that--they seemed to "feel our pain" so to speak. The food at the resort was incredible. Five star all the way. We had all of our meals here, and never had one thing that wasn't delicious. The breakfast buffet was great, but also included a la carte items you could order off the menu. Lunch at the pool was also good, and the dinners (at both the Mexican restaurant by the pool and Casa Del Lago near the lobby) were exceptional. Really the highlight of the trip. I can 't say enough about how good the food was. On the cons side, the beach really didn't look the pictures at all. It was much, much smaller. I realize some of this may have been due to the weather, but I overheard one of the staff talking about the fact that they were going to have to do something about the beach erosion they had been experiencing, so I do think this is becoming a bit of a problem. The beach was really a bit of a disappointment. The pool at the beach is also very cramped. It wasn't the size of the pool that was the problem, but rather the fact that the area around the pool was pretty small. As a reference, the beachside pool at Las Ventanas, their sister property in Cabo, is much nicer. All that said, the pros far outweighed the cons, the staff was great, the food was off the charts, and the overall experience was super.

4  Thank Jim Y