“Incredible”

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is not your average 5* hotel. This is a very special place. You turn off a busy road into a long driveway through the jungle, and then you arrive at the Rosewood. The natural beauty of the hotel is incredible- all very subtle with amazing views over the lagoon. Bright, open and relaxing. No large generic hotel structure, instead everything is built into the natural scenery.

All rooms are suites and consist of a separate villa- we had the most basic category which had: a large double bedroom, eating area, huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, indoor shower and our own terrace with an outdoor shower. The great thing is you can use the outdoor shower in complete privacy due to the way the rooms are built. You have your own terrace with sun beds on, with a small pool, so if you ever fancy hanging out in the room and getting a bit of sun, you can!

There are a number of pool areas to choose from- if you want the ocean view then there is only one pool. We quite liked the pool overlooking the lagoon as well, which is something a bit different. The resort is kept in immaculate condition, staff are incredibly friendly and can't do enough for you.

There are some nice perks- free bottled water, some free snacks by the pool, cold towels by the pool. There are also bikes you cant rent to ride around the resort if you like. The food is very good- the japanese restaurant offers a good menu and was a welcome change from the nachos we seemed to be eating a lot.

Overall, this is a really amazing, relaxing and special place. It stands out from all other 5* hotels I have been to (which includes the Four Seasons, Montage properties and other privately owned hotels in Europe). I cannot recommend it highly enough- and we cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LAX100

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Mayakoba is a genius master plan of three hotels of which I stayed at two during my 6 days in paradise. The rosewood has service down to a tee, and the food was spot on. The ambiance and room features rivaled some of the best hotels I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Lagoon view is the only way to go Stay close to main building..... better than golf cart shuttles e...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Dcdesigndr
Reviewed 12 January 2014

If you're looking for a wonderful experience, the Rosewood Mayakoba will not disappoint. Located about 45 minutes from Cancun Airport and 15 minutes from downtown Playa del Carmen, the hotel is really a private sanctuary on secured grounds shared by two other high end resorts and a golf course (although you will never see these other properties unless you want to go to them for drinks, dinner or golf.

From the minute you step out of the taxi, you're greeted by the friendliest staff I have ever met. I stayed in a Lagoon Suite - which will completely blow you away with its private plunge pool, roof deck, huge modern interior and unbelievable bathrooms. Internet was fast and free and worked all over the property which covers a lot of acreage.

Bicycles are available at no charge to get around if you want, but there seems to be a staff member with a golf cart passing by every couple of minutes who will be more than happy to give you a ride to wherever you want to go.

They were incredibly accommodating. When some buddies and I wanted to play poker during our stay and the staff could not find any cards, they immediately dispatched someone to go the the store to get some. 15 minutes later I was happily getting killed in a game of Texas Hold 'em.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a high end resort experience near Playa del Carmen. Just be aware that the Rosewood is definitely NOT an all inclusive! Dining and drinking on the property can be an expensive experience - although every meal I had (maybe with the exception of the continental breakfast) was worth whatever it cost.

This was my first time in the Mayan Riviera and the hotel arranged for the 9 of us that were there together to do some day trips and have a car service whenever we needed it.

I will most definitely stay at the Rosewood Mayakoba again!

Room Tip: The lagoon suites are the least expensive room option but are unbelievably large with incredible ame...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank mbloch
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We've just returned from our second trip to The Rosewood Mayakoba. I am even more impressed this time as two years had past and the resort seems to have grown onto an even more beautiful and lush property. The staff are wonderful from the moment we arrive..this is consistent throughout our stay. The food is of great quality and value (decent portions;) We have two young children, one is 4 and so spent most of her days at Rosebuds (kids club) the girls there are so sweet and really great with the kids. We have stayed in both the lagoon studio suites as well as the ocean front unit and I think we preferred the lagoon suites, they are very bright and spacious and we loved to walk down to our dock to see all the fish, birds iguanas and other various wildlife. Just as I was mentioning yesterday, the last day of our trip…"Y'know, it would be nice if someone would come to the beach club by boat to take us back to our suites instead of the golf carts", a staff member did just that and so my daughter and I got to take a relaxing boat ride/ecotour back to our suite! I wonder if they heard me or if it was just a coincidence? Anyway, bikes are always available as well which is another nice way to get around. We were at the Mayakoba for a week and it rained every day except the last two (unusual weather) and yet, we were still happy to be there. They offered plenty of free, rainy day activities. We enjoyed our patio and hot plunge pool and ate or ordered room service off the various menus…and of course, lots of tequila tasting;) We have been fortunate to stay at some of the best hotels in the world and this one is definitely my favourite.

Room Tip: Lagoon suites are perfect for a small family. Ocean suites are nice but there's no evening sun a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sparkysmomndad
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Resort is enchanting and the food/facilities are excellent. The staff was not as friendly and accommodating as they were at other Rosewood properties I have stayed. The average level of service is the only reason I gave it 4 stars. It was like pulling teeth to get the water sports guys to help with anything. They would rather sit in the shade than "allow" you to use the equipment. Was told "maybe later" on a couple of requests. Beverage service on the beach service was inconsistent and slow.

Other than that, five stars all the way. Rooms are incredible.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TCUlonghorn
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Best place I have ever stayed, hands down.
Service stands out the most. Been to a lot of beautiful places around the world, with gorgeous accommodations, like this place, but the service is second to none, which makes this place all the more special.
Staff seem sincere, not contrived in their customer service. The concierge service is also amazing. They accommodated all of our requests promptly.
Needless to say, the property is beautiful, the private plunge pool is so fun and special to have. Also, the spa was great. The service poolside is attentive and the extras, like drinks and sunglass cleaning make it extra-special.
Attention to detail everywhere you go makes this place great.
Went with my husband and under two year old--great place for our son. We all loved it. Definitely will return...I also tell everyone to go!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank SFholidayer
Reviewed 6 January 2014

At my knowledge probably one of the best resorts worlwide. The smallest suite has a private pool. Unbelievable! The staff is fantastic: after one day everybody know my name, my preference, my wish. It is expansive, but they provide a real 5 star service, so the high price is totally justified. The swimming pool by the Casa del Lago is an heaven, with someone who bring a glass of fresh juice or something to refresh each hour for free (well... included in the resort fee). Don't miss a romantic dinner at Punta Bonita, by the sea, with the sound of the waves behind you. Unforgettable. However, if the suites are very expensive, the restaurants are very reasonable. If you compare the rates to the other two hotels in Mayakoba, it is more expensive for sure, but there is not comparison in quality. Not to miss.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family