“Return to paradise!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“Return to paradise!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My second trip to Mayakoba was as wonderful and perfect as my first visit. The resort is amazing and the staff is warm, accommodating and out-of-this-world spectacular. When we arrived (by private Escalade transportation), we requested our bicycles - an excellent perk for the resort. After checking in, we had a lagoon escort to our room. The eco-resort is amazing. The staff on the boat were very knowledgeable about the resort as far as the room types and layouts as well as the lagoon, nature preserve and wildlife. Our room was outstanding and on the beach with a magnificent view. The beds are the most comfortable beds ever slept in with the most amazingly soft linens. Our butler Ani was very kind and attentive and helped us during our entire visit. She met us upon check in and remained with us during our entire stay. She constantly checked-in on us and was very attentive. I also saw my butler Russell from my last visit and was so happy to see him again. The butler service at the hotel is outstanding. We spent a lot of time at the main pool which faces the ocean near Punta Bonita restaurant. The staff by the pool is outstanding and highly attentive to the guests. We sampled free tastings during the day as well as ordered food and drinks by the ocean.I would suggest the guacamole (best ever) and try the Mexican wines! We dined in the evenings at Punta Bonita and Agave Azul. At Punta Bonita, they offer tapas menu at night which is great if you want to try some excellent food and Mexican wines without eating too much. I highly recommend the red snapper baked tapas, sea bass ceviche and the churros! Agave Azul is the best sushi on the planet. The sea bass sushi and the tuna two ways will amaze you. Instead of the tequilas, we enjoyed with the Mexican wine, which we both tried first upon our visit to this resort. One night, we tried several rolls and all were magnificent. For breakfasts, we were treated like royalty at Casa De Lago. The traditional Mexican breakfasts are absolutely delicious. I tried a different traditional Mexican style breakfast every day and was always extremely pleased. Also, if it is warm outside, I would suggest the delicious iced lattes for breakfast. The breakfast staff was always very nice to us and the hostesses at both Casa De Lago breakfast and Punta Bonita were very kind to us. We enjoyed two separate trips to the spa for a swedish massage and then for an aromatherapy massage. The spa is gorgeous! We used the steam room, pool, showers, and definitely enjoyed this spa. The treatment rooms are accessed by wooden pathways to private treatment rooms - outstanding! - within the natural eco-resort. The aromatherapy massage is specifically catered to your body and was very much enjoyed by us. I attended a yoga class on my first day at the resort and it was also held near the spa area in an outdoor covered private palapa. It was amazing to attend this class among nature. Although we visited the resort after my birthday as a late celebration, the staff delivered a very nice gift (Coronas, Guacamole, and a birthday cake) along with the traditional yummy tequila offering and daily fresh fruit. We managed to meet several people while visiting the resort and all praised the wonderful treatment at Mayakoba. I wholeheartedly agree!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very nice. The rooms closer to the main entrance are less expensive and include...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alice A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I have stayed some very nice places in our life, and the Rosewood Mayakoba ranks easily in our top 3 (maybe #1). The staff are truly the nicest, most helpful people. They go out of their way to make your trip special. I would highly recommend staying at this resort. Below are a few comments/tips...

- We upgraded to a beachfront room (room 601). It defintely bent my bank account a little bit, but it was absolutely worth it. The room was great. Plunge pool. Big tub. Great shower. The only thing that the beachfronts lack vs the lagoons is the rooftop deck and outdoor shower.
- Fill out the form that they send you before you go on your trip. They really use that information to try and help make your trip better.
- The housekeeping was great. Rosewood uses their scheduling software to their advantage. They know when you will be out of your room, and they coordinate housekeeping with that.
- All 3 restaurants were good and well above average. I can't say great but very good. Expect to spend about $80 on breakfast. $100 on lunch. $200 on dinner. It is what it is.
- Remember, everything has a 15% tip included and then a 16% Mexico tax. Again, it is what it is, but you need to remember that when buying because it adds up.
- MAKE SURE YOU RESERVE A BICYCLE WHEN YOU FIRST GET THERE. The golf carts are great, but the bike travel is better.
- To help offset the costs, pick up some liquor at the airport before you leave. Then, mix drinks in your room. It's easy and a no brainer.
- The only thing that I wasn't expecting was the amount of families. It was about 50/50, families vs couples. So, proably a few more youngsters running around, but I don't really care. I have 2 young children at home, and it didn't bother me that much.

All in all, I would highly recommend this resort. Compliments to my butler, Russell. He was over the top helpful.

Room Tip: Spring for Beachfront, if you can. Room 600 is closest to the pool. As you go up front the 600'...
9 Thank D2Dogs
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I came here for four nights following our destination wedding at another hotel in the PDC area. I had seen alot of hype about this place, but I didn't get it until I arrived. This place is just magical and exudes luxury and elegance. There is not a week that goes by that we don't make a comment about wishing we could go back. It just has that "it" factor that makes it special.

We stayed in the overwater bungalow and LOVED it! We would get the same room category if we were coming back. It feels very private and secluded and we had so much fun hanging out in our plunge pool while watching the wildlife. We saw turtles, birds, ducks and one crocodile from our pool.

The food and drinks were great and fairly priced (considering the quality). They were still a bit less expensive than average prices in NYC. One day we ordered a pitcher of mojitos (not on the menu) in our pool and they brought a pitcher of fresh juice, bucket of ice and soda water so they could be mixed on the spot. The man from room service mixed them and served them to us in the pool. AWESOME. The restaurants were all good. The beach restaurant was great for lunch. We had dinner at the Japanese, Italian and Thai. Thai was our favorite but all were nice.

I could just go on and on about how fantastic this place is with dozens of examples, but I don't want to ruin the surprises. This place is just magical and you won't be disappointed in your stay!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelGirlBlogs
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I visited Rosewood Mayakoba last week (June 18-21), and were in absolute heaven!
Since we "technically" visited during slow season, the hotel was not full, so we were upgraded to a nicer suite for FREE!
Every little detail was attended to, from the nice Escalade that picked us up at the airport, to the personal touches throughout our visit. Nayeli, our butler for the duration our stay, checked on us throughout our visit - helped us make dinner reservations, a trip to Tulum, etc. She would just come and find us on the beach or at the pool - we didn't have to seek her out - but she wasn't pushy or pesky. Perfectly friendly and professional. We never really went on a honeymoon (we were married 6 months ago) and we treated this trip as a pseudo-honeymoon. The staff at Mayakoba knew this, and every evening, we had a sweet treat waiting for us in our suite at Turndown service - chocolates with our initials on them, and different little gifts indigenous to the Mayan culture. We aren't wealthy people - and taking this trip was a tiny bit more than what we had budgeted for. But let me say, it was TOTALLY worth the extra $. The peace of mind we got NOT having to worry about a THING the whole time we were there was priceless. We felt relaxed and pampered the entire time. We felt like we got way more than our monies worth, and even though we were only there for 4 days, it actually felt like longer, because how relaxing it was...
If we ever go to Mexico again, we will absolutely return to Rosewood Mayakoba. I've already told everyone I know about it.
The. Best. Hands. Down.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to an overwater (lagoon) suite. It was huge and beautiful!
1 Thank Amber A
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This lovely hotel is super special. Our room/villa was incredible. Everyone is so so nice. Nayeli H. is amazing. Thank you for taking care of us. Please make sure you visit Agave Azul and ask for Armando. I would eat at Agave Azul everyday if I could. If you have time to swing some yoga please make sure you do so, Yvonne couldn't have been nicer. when you head down to the beach make sure you have tacos and Arturo/Raul/Matteo/Erika will take great care of you.

Daily breakfast buffet features cronuts. Please make sure you say hello to Jorge and discuss some world cup action.

We took the eco tour at 11AM and really enjoyed exploring the lagoon.

The spa and fitness facilities are great. Make sure you visit.

This was a VERY pleasant stay for a very short trip. We would go back in a heart beat.

Cologne Area
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Lagoon paradise right on the caribbean sea. Luxury villas in the midst of nature reserve. Villas with lagoon view, plunge pool and fantastic sunset atmosphere. The villas are very spacious with modern, luxury bathroom (also outside shower), separate bedroom and living room with everything you need. Excellent breakfast with lagoon/pool views, excellent spa, beach cabanas, etc.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DrKnudel
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have been fortunate to stay at some of the most beautiful resorts in the world, but Mayakoba may just have ascended to the top do the list (ask for Frank as your butler). Everything is top notch, the food (gourmet Mexican); head massages on the beach; a spa to die for and incredibly wonderful staff. I was unwell one night and they couldn't do enough for me--delivering Gatorade to the beach and to our villa. Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton, take note. Mayakoba has taken the best of the best and made it better. We will be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business