“Perfect in every way”

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is heaven on earth. Nothing could be improved. It is very elegant, beautiful, special and first class in every way . The service is the best I have ever had at a hotel on the beach. Fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kgr1954
Write a ReviewReviews (1,771)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for a family vacation over spring break. Read the other reviews....everything was outstanding. While the price per room is high, its well worth what you spend! This place tops every previous resort and hotel we have ever stayed at!....The location is beautiful. We opted to have the hotel send a car for us....seamless exit from a Mexican Airport is rare...and we breezed out to the waiting (and cool) SUV for a ride to the hotel. Greeted at the front by staff that already knew our kids by name (nice touch). The boat ride to the room was really neat. We opted for a suite down by the beach. 2 adults, 2 kids....fit easily into the one bedrooms suite (really a 3 story townhouse..with a plunge pool, private sunning area on the roof). The amenities in the room are too many to name but lets say the complimentary bottle of taquila was nice...along with the forever filled bowl of fruit and candy.

The resort is large, but there is always a golf cart whizzing by to offer you a ride. Bikes free to borrow to export the area....the pool service is beyond compare. Chairs set up for us, bucket of ice a water that never stopped. Would you like a massage or your sunglasses cleaned (not kidding...all complimentary). Our 9 year old loved the kids club and they even sent her home with a personalized calendar for the year (with photos taken of her on the club activities)

Will definitely go back again.....and again....and again. Half a year later the kids still talk about it.

Room Tip: Get a room by the beach!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Scott P
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I got to go on this trip as an award from my employer. If not for that I can't imagine ever being able to take a trip like this. Wonderful staff, waited on us hand and foot! Beautiful property, the suite we stayed in was perfect, and immaculately clean. I read some reviews about bugs being a issue. We stayed the second week of April and had very little, if any, problem with them. I did not have a bad meal at any restaurant on the property, the lobster omelet for breakfast was fantastic. Lunch at beach/pool side is wonderful. Anyone who complains about this resort must be a billionaire prima donna because this simpleton from Indiana was blown away.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BubbleheadTom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My husband just got back after 4 night trip to celebrate our ten year anniversary. We had such a great time!
We used their car service which worked out really well and I highly recommend it!
The food was all great! We love casa del lago the best since the food was great and the service was outstanding! We ended up eating there twice!
The beach service was terrific! Fernando on the beach was so sweet and took such good care of us!! We loved him! The beach was beautiful and I do agree with other posts in saying that it's not the best beach I've ever seen but it was beautiful! And again, the service on the beach makes up for it all!!!

There were good number of kids but the staff knew we were there without our kids and sat us away from kids. I'm not sure if I would bring my kids. But I will say, the staff was very kind and accommodating to the families with kids. I did go and checked out rosebuds (kid's club) and it did seem very well organized.
We had an overwater suite and it was so relaxing to sit outside or in our pool and just listen to the wildlife and the stars! Breathtaking!
We used the spa for massages which were expensive but great. You can use the spa without a fee or a treatment. The spa is beautiful! I also used the gym and it was great as well.
Of course, we rented bikes and for us this just made the trip that more magical!! I loved feeling like a little kid all over again!!! I loved riding my bike and smelling all the different flowers around the property!!!
I hope to be back real soon! I'm just not sure of it's worth it with kids. It's a luxury resort and just perfect for the overworked and over-scheduled crowd! For our honeymoon, we were 10 years younger and with a much greater amount time to relax and home! Ten years later, with kids and more demanding careers, I need the vacation to unwind me! And this did just that!
The only negative encounter we had was the hostess at the agave azul. She was so nasty and short with us that she left me speechless. Other than that, everyone was sweet! The other resort guests were down to earth and nice as well. It was not stuffy at all! No one wore jackets to dinner! Sundresses with heals or sandals and men even wore dress shorts and polos. Funny enough there was a very overdressed couple, their clothes were all designer logos and I started to cringe thinking this was going to be the rule not the exception. I then overhear the staff say to them, "we hope you enjoyed your visit at our resort and your cab back to your resort should be here in a few minutes". I'm glad I didn't have to spend my vacation concerned about every little thing I wore. Sure, people had on beautiful clothes but never flashy!
Okay, I can keep going on and on but if you can afford it, just go for it!!! You will never regret it. I kept saying that I was so glad we didn't book anywhere else we were considering! This is a stand out and special!!! I miss it already!!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Jenn Q
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I recently stayed here with my wife, son and my wife's family to celebrate my wife's birthday. I couldn't afford more than a one night's stay with all of our guests along, but we made the most of it and it was truly incredible. I've been to other Rosewood properties and other hotel/resorts in the greater Cancún/Playa del Carmen area and this is by far the best one. We stayed in the Deluxe Lagoon Suites and they were beautiful. The architecture, interior design, landscaping, everything was top-notch. There are much pricier rooms, but even the entry level ones are masterpieces.

The best part about this place is not only the property, but the service. The staff are incredibly nice, attentive and caring. You will never feel uncomfortable and they are never rude. I have very basic Spanish speaking skills and they played along nicely, no snobbery, just a very warm ambiance. They all speak English too, so nothing to worry about.

Being from Manhattan, I have certain technology concerns that I consider essential to relaxation. Rosewood Mayakoba met or exceeded all of them including: Internet service, water pressure, air conditioning, 24hr gym and proportions. Speaking of proportions, you won't find any undersized nonsense here, for example shower heads are around 7ft ceilings between 10 and 11ft.

The grounds are beautiful, the staff is amazing, the seclusion of the jungle is presented in a warm and safe way that is simply unmatched. When you first drive in, you get this amazing feeling that you are leaving the city of Playa del Carmen behind and entering a proper jungle. The interior details in the rooms are what you would see in the top 1% of Manhattan penthouses, it is Mexican modern with Manhattan feel, spectacular.

If you have any hesitations, forget them, I am not easily pleased and am perhaps one of the most detail demanding people this planet has seen. Trust me, you will love it here. If I could afford it, I would stay for months.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Kristofer S
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, although expected it to be the best of the Mayakoba hotel, I think Banyantree topped it slightly.
Although the arrival is amazing.. collecting you by boat they take you through the resort which really adds to the experience to make you feel a world away.. its a huge hotel so you will have to give 20mins to get everywhere by buggy..
Overall a great stay and defiantly recommended

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JonnyDodge
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We are lucky to be able to visit Mayakoba on a regular basis and it only gets better each time. Lagoon or beach Suites, both have their own charm and both are great!
A must try: Mexican artisanal beers that the resort has just implemented, amazing taste and great sense of place, Mexical is on top of the list.
The Agave Azul experience is unique, sushis with tequila/mescal, a delicacy. And keeping in line with the location, ask for Mexican wines recommendations at Casa Del Lago!
The therapy would not be complete without a treat at the Spa and at the gym, Cesar is the master to keep you fit!
Hope to be back for another therapy session soon

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family