“Gorgeous Resort - Impeccable Service”
Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“Gorgeous Resort - Impeccable Service”
Reviewed 16 February 2009

We stayed at this resort last month for a wedding. We have stayed at other Rosewood resorts, and this one is by far the best. In fact, it is the most beautiful resort that I have ever been to. I hear that Las Ventanas is comparable, but that Mayakoba is better. First, the grounds are gorgeous. They put a lot of work into making the resort feel like paradise. Second, the service is outstanding! You will get waited on hand and foot. You get your own personal butler who is available 24/7. Ours went off of the resort for us to get some cold medicine! The food is fantastic. The brunch cannot be beat. Everything that we ate was delicious. FInally, you MUST go to the spa. You do not even have to have a spa appointment to use the facilities. GORGEOUS. And we had a private yoga lesson which was outstanding. The yoga lesson was better than the massage, in fact.

Oh yeah, if you have some time, go into town. The people are friendly, the souviners are cheap and there are great bars and restaurants.

The one complaint that I have is that our bill was wrong, which we discovered when checking out. It was very difficult to get the front desk to understand how the bill was wrong and the manager was difficult as well. It was sorted out in the end, but I wish we didn't have to end our stay with that bit of frustration.

Having said that, I would still return in a heartbeat. If you are looking for a beautiful, romantic getaway, this is the place to go!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Froggymug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Korean first
italy
Reviewed 4 February 2009

This place is absolutly outstanding, don't look any further

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank supersayan4
Weschester, NY
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I loved the hotel. It was beautiful and the staff was great. I loved the rooms. They were the best rooms I've ever seen. I had a fabulous time at the pool and so did my family. The kids club was also another amazing thing about the hotel. I stayed there practicly the whole day with my brother. My parents would come every now and then to try to get us out but we would beg for more time. The counslers at the kids club were soooo nice. Julia, and Gina were awesome at the kids club. They would play zillions of games with us. I loved the hotel but one of my favorite parts was the transportation. The hotel was so big that the only way to get around was by golf cart or boat. You would wait at your room for a second and then carts would come pick you up and take you where ever you wanted to go. I DEFINETELY recommend this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank worldtraveler1027
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 February 2009

After countless time spent on Tripadvisor reading reviews and researching hotels, I decided on the Rosewood for the second half of our 1 week trip (4 days in Cancun also). I could not have been more happy with our stay at the Rosewood; I would say without question the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in....by far! My wife and 2 girls (5,3) had a great time and will definitely be returning. The following is an analysis of our experience with the hotel.

Check-In
When we drove into the property with our rental car, the valet already knew our names and promptly unloaded our luggage and directed us to the front desk. Cecelia at check-in was very friendly, helpful and efficient. Within minutes we were led to a boat that took us to our lagoon view suite. Cold towels and fresh fruit on the brief boat ride made the ride even more pleasurable.

Room
I can't say enough about the design, and uniqueness of the hotel rooms. From the large plunge pool, to the indoor/outdoor shower, the extra large soaker tub, the rooftop area; everything was thoughtfully designed and executed with the highest level of craftsmanship and finish. We were impressed that they had provided two pink robes, two pairs of kids slippers, and small clothes hangers for my two girls. Within minutes of our arrival our morning butler, Alba arrived and gave us a tour of the room and even offered to unpack our clothes and offer to set up a bubble bath for the kids whenever we needed. There was also a nice bottle of tequila and fresh fruit available upon our arrival. Pillows, mattress, comforters made it seem like you could sleep for days.

We had lunch and the Breakfast at the main restaurant and felt the food to be above average. The breakfast buffet entrees were prepared fresh rather than sitting in large serving containers. More seafood options would have been better. We also had room service a few times and were impressed with the quality of the food and service both times. The fish tacos at the beach restaurant were amazing. I really didn't find the prices too different than what a typical buffet breakfast, or an average lunch would cost in the US.

Beach
The sand was soft and free of seaweed and rocks. It was not crowded at all, no mechanized water vehicles, no vendors on the beach selling their wares. The way I like it.

Kids Club
We dropped the kids there a few hours each day. There is no fee for this service and no time limit either. Regina did a wonderful job entertaining the kids. Each day they have a schedule of activities where the kids enjoyed doing crafts. Best kids club facilities and activities ever.

Pools
The main pool was rarely used. The water seemed a bit colder than the beach pool. Plenty of beach chairs available at both pools. The beach pool was smaller but never crowded. They have pool/beach toys available for children. Pool service was prompt and attentive but not over the top where they are constantly in your face.

Spa
My wife had a facial at the spa which she absolutely loved. I used the spa facilities to relax. I had the entire mens' spa area to myself every time I was there. It seemed in general that the hotel was not that busy..whether it was due to an eroding economy or just the time of year, I guess it certainly worked in our favor.

Getting around
Golf carts were never more than a 5 minute wait to take you to the different parts of this vast resort. We did walk to the beach one time and it was not more than a 10 minute walk. There are also boats that can take you around but it is slower. We did take up an offer by the boat driver to take us on a boat tour where he showed us some of the wildlife in the area (fish, crocodiles, turtles, birds etc.) which the kids loved.

Golf
I was able to book a twilight tee time at El Camaleon for 130usd which is a steal considering the caliber of golf course. The course was in pristine condition likely because they are hosting a PGA event in a few weeks. It was cart path only so I actually had to do some walking ;) It would have been a great round had it not been for the torrential rains that started midway into the round and lasted an hr.

Check out
The morning of check out the reception called to see if they can send a butler over to help us pack. Check out was prompt and the incidental charges were accurate.

Overall Impression

I believe the true measure of great service is where the staff can anticipate your needs and take the initiative to provide for you promptly and efficiently rather than simply asking you "is everything ok or what can I do for you?" I think the Rosewood executed this perfectly. While yes, the resort is expensive compared to others, you get what you pay for. I found they didn't nickel and dime us when we were there. Wireless internet is free and available throughout the resort. Bottled water is free from your room. Exercise and spa facilities are free for all guests. There is no fee for the kids club. At 3 times what I paid for for a 4 star hotel in Cancun, I actually thought the Rosewood was a much better value for what you get. If you are looking for the ultimate in relaxing vacation, look no further. If you are looking for more of a party atmosphere, go to Cancun. My only regret was "wasting" 4 days in Cancun before heading to the Rosewood.

Travel tip.....do NOT drive in Cancun. There are corrupt policeman everywhere. We got pulled over for no reason at all and was told that the only way to get my license back was to pay 100 usd. I was able to negotiate down to 30. You wont likely be able drive 2 miles in Cancun without seeing someone pulled over. I have never seen so much blatant corruption.

• Liked — hotel room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank tw2020
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I just got back from 5 days at the Rosewood Mayakoba.

If you've stayed at the Rosewood Las Ventanas, the Rosewood Mayakoba isn't even close relative to LV's service.

Overall, the resort is beautiful. Actually, the property is really beautiful and if you like birds it sits on a major estuary with all different types of birds.

But the service..forget it. The place isn't even close to other Rosewood's I've stayed at and just completely missed the mark. It's not a cheap place to stay and again if you've stayed at other Rosewood's this place isn't up to the usual standards. In fact, I'd bet that they hear that a lot because I just felt so let down by how "blah" the entire staff was. While extremely nice, just don't get it.

I could go into so many examples I'd run out of room writing them.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank ktellison
san pedro
Reviewed 28 January 2009

Great hotel, the setting is perfect. The infrastructure is great, pools, restaurants, etc. Ther service was just ok, it needs more time. We've been to Las Ventanas, also a Rosewood hotel, in Cabo San Lucas, and they have much better service. The food was very good but not very fancy. The price your paying is primary for the investment of the hotel and not for the service. In conclusion a very good experience but needs more time to improve the average service.

• Liked — The place and setting
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mrivero
New York City
Reviewed 27 January 2009

For my wife's 40th birthday, we celebrated at the Rosewood Mayakoba. 4 other couples joined us for a quick (3 night), adult only get-away. This was not our first time in the Mexican Riviera, nor was it our first time at a great Mayakoba Hotel. It was, however, the most enjoyable trip we have had by far. The Rosewood is a truly beautiful hotel with an exceptional staff and unparalleled service. At every level... reception, concierge, room butler, restaurant staff, spa services and workout fascilities... this was by far the nicest and most attentive staff we have ever experienced at a hotel anywhere in the world. The rooms are amazing (even better than the pictures) and the food is excellent. This is without doubt the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in anywhere in Mexico... Any beach destination in the world for that matter.

• Stayed January 2009