“Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Louisiana
“Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

There are just too many good things to say about this new resort. So I am going to make it as short and sweet as possible. First of all, splurge and get the ocean front rooms. They are right on the beach. We are talking 20 steps from the deck of our room and you are swimming in the ocean. And we had our own pool. Our bathroom was gorgeous. We had a bath tub that looked something from the Roman times. Shower was incredible. The room was incredible. The grounds are amazing. The margaritas are the bomb. You have to go to the tequila bar on margarita night and try the interesting margaritas of the day. I had a mint and coconut margarita. Best margarita I have ever had. They also had a mariachi band who were excellent. I played their golf course, "El Chamaleon". It was a great course and it was in excellent shape. I would have to say that the spa is probably the best spa I have ever been to. That is all I can say about the spa. If I keep talking about the spa, I would have to write a novel. I cant say enough about how great the staff was. From the concierge, to the waiters, to the gardeners. Everybody treated you like you were a king. Our butler was awesome. He gave us great restaurant advice. He would bring us drinks while we sat on our deck. He even surpised us one night after dinner with a bubble bath waiting for us. Just for fun or because you dont want to walk or take a cart to your room or to the main area of the resort, you have to hop on the shuttle boats that take you on the cenote through out the resort and to your room. On our way back to our room one day, we saw a baby crocodile and we saw these diving ducks that were incredible. I loved this place. Here is what I did not like: 1. The food was mediocre. (Excluding breakfast. Breakfast was amazing) 2. The shuttle service was terrible. We would wait by our room sometimes for 15 minutes before a shuttle would pick us up to take us to the main part of the hotel. The walk is not bad. But it takes about 15 minutes. They really need to work on that. It was annoying. All and all, I highly recommend this place. But if someone had a gun to my head and made me choose between Rosewood Las Ventanas and Rosewood Mayakoba, I would have to choose Las Ventanas.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank usopenman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Korean first
ny, ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

I really want to be fair here but I've let a week pass and still feel confused about what this place is. FIrst, it's dramatic and beautiful but the money is spent in a strange way. There are wonderful docks and waterways at the beach villas, and huge 2 BR villas but for a family they are impractical. We had a 2 BR that was 4400 sq feet yet had only 2 beds in it. Our children were on a different floor than us and there was a truly dangerous trek to the top floor that we had to rope off. The idea is that the cheap pullout couch with a plastic mattress is the second BR but for $3k a night? There is a butler for each villa which I find a little precocious especially since he seemed confused about what his job was. That said the food was terrific. Be careful that no corporate event is booked for the same time as your visit or you will find yourself eating dinner with 65 people having cocktails in the same space you are having dinner in, shouting conversation across your table. I'm serious. In the end I find it more a couples/corporate place than a family place.

3 Thank arbella8
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

Just got back from a week at Rosewood Mayakoba. It was great. Unless you are an incredibly picky person with absolutely no tolerance for the slightest misstep then this is the place for you. I'm a Type-A and it was great. Not perfect but great. But hey you are on vacation so I don't understand some of the other reviewers issues with details.

Rooms are fabulous. Like staying in a new apartment. Quite wonderful. The beds are very comfortable. The plunge pools are a nice touch and the lagoon views are superb.

The spa is amazing. My wife has been to many spas worldwide and she assures me this was the best so far.

Pools. Beach pool is great and beach/pool service was fabulous. I truly can't understand some of the gripes I have seen here. They were busy but at no time was it bad. The beach is a little narrow and the water has some nasty rocks in it specifically at Rosewood. That was an irritation. Pool at the main hotel is amazing. Very relaxing and beautiful.

Food was good. Not great by any means, but good. They need to up the game a bit here. The fancy restuarant at the main hotel is OK. The food needs to be better for the price. But service is good they try very hard. Breakfast was great. Very good selection of fresh food, meats, fish and traditional breakfast items. Service a little frenzied but not a big issue.

It is a big hotel with the rooms spread out across the property and far from the beach. This is not an issue. The golf carts are numerous and quick. All the drivers are friendly and accomodating. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Check-in and check-out were painless. No problems at all. They were informed, organised and efficient.

Golf is fantastic. Bring the clubs if you can otherwise it will be expensive. But the course is challenging and beautiful.

All in all a wonderful time to be had here. I don't recommend to couples during school holidays as the resort is kid friendly. Our 8 year old was in heaven. But if you want a quiet time with no kids go out of school holidays. Highly recommended.

1 Thank SJCJ
nyc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2009

The Good: The grounds are lovely, the rooms are amazing, the food is not bad (granted we are tough to please).

The Bad: Kids everywhere/ there is no adult pool/ no real bar on the lagoon side (great for a family vacation), staff lacks organization, it is really two resorts (the lagoon and the beach) and they are not connected in any way (in fact our driver told us it was dangerous to walk between the two after dark -- eg scorpions, etc.)

If you plan on staying only in your room (which is beyond compare) then this could be the place for you. As we ventured out we became less and less impressed. The entire lagoon side is a ghost town except for a few families with children.

I read in a post before I left that someone had slipped and I thought they were just being silly. They are not -- there are parts of this resort that are slippery and downright dangerous (like your outdoor shower).

Bottom line -- anyone but honeymooners, I would say give it a shot. It is expensive (we paid about 8K for 5 nights) but it is different. However, I would hate for a honeymooner to go there and be let down (go to the Rosewood property in Cabo or the Palmilla).

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kannm
miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2009

This is one of the more amazing hotels that I have ever stay at. The hole resort is top notch and the service by everyone is unvelibable. I will stay here again.

1 Thank bighead33
montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

this hotel is absolutely amazing!! the staff is beyond incredible!!! they go out of their way to make sure you have and need everything . the rooms are some of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in. the design and architecture of the entire complex is outstanding!!! allot of glass, modern but cozy!!!it is stretched out over a large area, and we enjoyed the walks between the beach , villa and restaurants.if not you can pick up any of the golf carts going around the area!!! there are alot of different villas to choose from. we visited a few of them. all amazing and different. we chose one on a lagoon.we thought it would have been better to be by the ocean but we actually changed rooms because we loved looking on to the lagoon which is like a clean blue small lake( can not swim in). our room (like most rooms,i think all) have their own plunge pool,which was amazing!!! also a wonderful spa. i would recommend this hotel 150%!!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tibo_9
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2009

I just got back from my 3rd visit to the Rosewood Mayakoba. First and foremost I wanted to address the security concerns that some of you may have. I went with a single friend of mine along with a married couple awaiting their 2nd child. What you hear in the news or elsewhere does not pertain to the Riviera Maya region. The hotel has 2 levels of security...one at the main entrance and one at each individual hotel within the Mayakoba community. On one of the days a friend came to visit me and he was not allowed to come to my room until I came to the front desk area and escorted him to my room.

The town of Playa and 5th Avenue was full of families, teenagers, and kids. A few of the nights my friend and I were out until 4 or 5 a.m. with no issues...just people having a great time.

As for the resort, it just keeps getting better and better. By this time they knew my name as soon as I walked in and knew my previous preferences. The staff, the food, the spa, and the beach were all amazing as always. I especially loved the daily breakfast buffets.

I again stayed in suite #500 which is a Deluxe Oceanview Beach Suite with 3 floors. The second floor has a pull out couch with an additional bathroom and shower. The nice sized plunge pool was very warm. The views from all levels were amazing. The cool thing is that this suite has views of the lagoon as well from the back side.

If you are thinking of going to this resort...do not hesitate. It is absolutely gorgeous and very safe.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends