“The most amazing anniversary vacation!”
Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, TX
“The most amazing anniversary vacation!”
Reviewed 8 June 2009

The Rosewood Mayakoba was absolutely amazing! Highly recommend to anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing, private resort. All staff members were right there whenever we needed them and most called us by name. Our butler, Nick, was fantastic and so helpful! Poolside service also impeccable!

My husband and I cannot wait to return! The experience was phenomenal!

1 Thank BigDMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Korean first
Setauket, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Just got back from a wonderful week of warmth and relaxation. We stayed from May 30 to June 5.

Arrival: Highly recommend booking transportation through the hotel; just be sure to ignore everyone claiming to be your ride. You will be greeted with a sign once you step outside by a Rosewood employee who will take your luggage and promptly provide you with cold water and candy for the children. Once we arrived at the hotel we were in awe at how beautiful and open the hotel was. We were then taken to our room via boat while we enjoyed frozen mojitos and fruit. We knew within the first 20 minutes of our arrival that this was going to be a spectacular vacation. Due to the low occupancy we were upgraded to the deluxe ocean view room which was amazing. It was almost too big (but no complaints). The room was 3 floors and had both a view of the ocean as well as the lagoon and perfectly situated near the pool/restaurant/kids club and the ocean. Our two children (age 4 and 6) stayed on the second floor and were thrilled to see a bowl of chocolate chip cookies and their very own bathrobe and slippers waiting for them.

Food: My husband and I are pretty serious about our food, so we were a little disappointed after a long day of traveling with two kids we were hoping to have a very casual dinner at the beach restaurant Punta Bonita, but it was closed every other evening alternating with Casa Del Lago which is more "formal", so we were kind of forced to eat there the first night. We were not impressed at all. What made the meal worse was it was expensive and I found my meal almost inedible...I know I was tired but several other couples that we met also shared the same sentiment.
Breakfast was excellent and included with our package. I have to say it was so nicely done and was presented beautifully. It was a great way to start the day.
We basically ate at Punta Bonita everyday for lunch since we were at the pool/beach all day. The fare was basic and pretty good and not expensive. After the 5th day we were getting sick of eating the same things as well as the kids were tired of having "kid" food. But the staff was more than accommodating when we asked for things that were not on the menu. We also had dinner at Punta Bonita twice with the children and it was very nice and casual.
We checked out the Banyon Tree hotel for dinner and were blown away by how scenic and amazing this hotel was. We ate at Tamarind; it was so incredible that we cancelled our reservation at Ambar for the following evening at the Mandarin Oriental so that we can check out Banyon’s main restaurant Saffron - by far our best meal the entire vacation and worth every penny.

Spa: Amazing! Probably one of the best I've been too and highly recommend using it for more than 1 service.

Kids Camp: During our stay there were never more than 4 children at the resort (and two are my own) so it was never the typical chaos that you would find at a resort with a ton of children, yet there was so much for the kids to do that they were NEVER bored . The Camp is included and the kids loved it. It is located right near pool beach area so it was nice for the kids to pop in to play the wii when they had too much of the sun and swim. There were movies, games and crafts. My daughter made a piñata filled with candy (not so fun going through security on the way home). The staff at the camp was fantastic. We also utilized the in room babysitting service in the evening and were very pleased to see they came with a bag of fun things for the girls to do and it was nice to get out and enjoy an evening with my husband alone. The service is $20 per hour with a 2 hour minimum plus a transportation fee if you are later than 10:00pm.

Golf: My husband said it was incredible - he only went to the driving range with my 6 year old daughter (which they provided her with her own kids sized clubs). They were treated like royalty.

Service: Our trip would not have been as amazing if it was not for the people at Rosewood who made it very special. It was sad to see how huge the impact of the swine flu had on all of the resorts in that area; it's amazing how the media blows things out of proportion! Even if this hotel was at maximum capacity I feel we would have received the same level and attentiveness from the staff (who by the way love to practice their English as well as give us refreshers on our Spanish). I have to admit, my husband and I were a little confused on what was customary for tipping since there were so many people doing things for us, but we never felt the staff was "working" for a tip at any point in time and they were very thankful when they were tipped. It was always a pleasure dealing with each and every staff member and would recommend this resort to anyone.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank oesay
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Stayed May 25th - 31st for our honeymoon and it was the BEST! We highly recommend the Roswood due to it's great atmosphere and friendly staff.
Due to the low occupancy, we were gladly upgraded from our Lagoon to OceanView Suite, which we absolutely loved. We hated to see the place with only maybe 15-20% occupancy, but it worked out great for us as guests.

We book via our local Virtuoso agent who got us a private VW and Mercedes transfer to/from airport, which was timely and both drivers were great to tell us all about Mexico!

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted with a margarita and properly showed to our suite. The suite and plunge pool on the rooftop were the best and we were only 30secs from the Punta Bonita lunch/dinner restaurant around the corner. The room was impeccable and it had all the comforts of home and much more. My wife definitely enjoyed the big bathtub! lol...
The grounds were always clean and the golf cart service and butlers were awesome. Always talked to you with a smile and so pleasant. While tips were not expected, we tipped 2-3bucks for all rides and tipped 10-15% on top of all meals. Luckily our agent got us free breakfast, so that saved about $200 for the week!

The staff and butlers were great and always catered to our needs. I got sunburned on my feet the latter half of the trip (yea I'm a dummy!) and Liliana our afternoon/evening butler came back several times a day to see if I needed anything. Jorge at the Punta Bonita restaurant was a great mngr and made sure we were taken care of always and Erik at Casa Del Lago did the same.

I could go on and on about the place, but we really loved it so much.
The only "negative" items I'd say are (and I use the term loosely):
- There is no nightlife on the resort. So after dinner, your on your own. This didn't bother us one bit because we were on our honeymoon and wanted quiet time :)
- There are only 2 dinner restaurants & 1 lunch, so by the end of the week, the menus were getting a little old. Definitely recommend venturing off into Playa Del Carmen to check out the local food scene or maybe another nearby resort.
- The resort overall is a little on the expensive side for a non-AI, but well worth it. I'd say we spent about $1k extra with all meals, drinks, tips and some gifts.

All in all, a great time and would recommend definitely for honeymooners and/or anyone wanting a nice, relaxing time in the sun and fun :) Any questions, feel free to contact me!

1 Thank sstevens12
New York City
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Just got back from a 3 night stay at Rosewood Mayakoba as a surprise birthday gift from my generous husband.

Airport Pick-Up: Beware of random people that claim they work for Rosewood inside the airport that greet you. They appear friendly, ask you if you need a ride, wear an official uniform - they are there to sell timeshares. Walk outside of the hotel and find a sign with your name on it. Rosewood picked us up in a white shiny Mercedes SUV. Booking a ride from the airport to the hotel with Rosewood is worth not having to deal with the aggravation of other options and allows you to arrive completely relaxed.

Reception:The entrance and hotel decor was grand, unique, eco-luxiourious. The service impeccable. The only downside was that the boat that normally takes you to your room never showed up, after waiting for 30 min. I imagine taking a boat to your room is an experience unlike no other. We were greeted with delicious margaritas upon arrival.

Room: We booked an ocean front room and I believe this was what really made our experience out of this world. The beach is literally 10 steps from your suite. The plunge pool on the deck allows for private sunbathing. We had breakfast on our deck every morning, and I'm confident that it has had age reversal effects - an amazing breathtaking view of the ocean. No sunsets where the hotel is situated, but apparently great sunrises. Based on our assessment, your experience is based on where your room is located. The lagoon side did not have the same *wow* factor that the ocean side provided. The two areas (lagoon and beach) are also very far apart. The ocean front rooms 603+ would be ideal. you don't really want the room right next to the pool (601) as there wouldn't be too much privacy given the price tag.

Service: The butler is a basic waste of time and money (included in your bill as a hotel service charge). No point in tipping this person for smiling at you, and asking if they can do anything for you several times a day. Both times I asked the buttler to do something, she didn't -- but was relentless in her attempt to get a (an additional) tip upon departure. With exception to the butler, overall the service at the hotel is close to perfect - gracious, timely, always anticipating your needs, warm and friendly.

Food: Pricey mediocrity. We tried the Mandarin Oriental's restaurant one night and were really pleased. I wouldn't return to the Rosewood's restaurants more than once (for dinner) - try out the neighboring hotels' restaurants. The only meal that is worth mentioning is breafast - make sure you try the waffles (served with chocolate and whipped cream - yum.)

Golf / Spa- my husband reported the course to be fantastic - not to be missed. The Spa was divine. The facilities were brand new (plunge pool, jacuzzi, sauna, and steam) and huge. Since we went during the swine flu scare there were barely any other patrons- which really made the experience intimate and relaxing. We've been to other Rosewood properties, e.g. Ventanas in Cabo, and I found this Spa to be better. So many little surprise details throughout the spa made it remarkable.

1 Thank sdenyc
Dallas , Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Stayed at te Rosewwod Mayakoba for four day . Due to the limited number of guests we were upgraded to a beachfront suite . WOW ... The beach pool was a great place to spend the day . Breakfast as all the meals were Ist rate . But it was the service that was the best I had ever seen . The current rates make it a great trip ...

2 Thank farmerdallas
Dallas
Reviewed 17 May 2009

We had a one bedroom oceanfront suite with plunge pool. It was a two story unit with ample space. Very nice. Butler service could be improved. Concierge could use some improvements, but the room service was great. They delivered bottles of wine to the beach way after hours and really went above and beyond. Car service to playadel was good and the driver would wait on us while we ate, which was nice. The property is huge and getting around can be difficult. Waiting on golf carts is a pain. All eating establishments are good. Breakfast might be the best. The beach is wonderful and the service by the beach is great as well. Be sure to play the mayakoba golf course if you are a golfer--it is top notch. Spectacluar property and lobby- very original.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank UPtraveller1
St. Gallen
Reviewed 19 April 2009

We where looking for a nice place to spend a couple of days in the sun.
We where surprised about the great architecture, beautiful rooms and really attentive friendly service we usually only know from the four seasons .
so why aren't we going back ?
after the housing bubble it seems that we have in certain areas a hotel bubble with prices reaching astonishing heights that are difficult to explain.

We booked a Beachside Lagoon View Suite (for whoppy 1250 USD ++) that has supposedly partial ocean view. Well, at least in our we could not see it. It was a beautiful , big suite but it was somehow dark and the bedroom facing the beachfront suites with the street for the golf buggies passing. we decided it was not what we wanted .
We looked at a Beachside Lagoonview Suite but for 1650 usd ++ it just did not made sense especially because the beachfront suites cost the same. But ... 1650 USD ++ means 2095 usd with all the taxes and mandatory supplements . This are then converted back to pesos when you get the bill so I guess even this number has to be treated conservative. I hope someone at Mayakoba resorts has checked out what you get in Bali, Maledives, Tahiti , Costa Careyes, Mauritius , Fiji , Seychelles for this price. Because we have ... and sorry this prices, for what you get, just do not make sense.

Because here for this price you get a beautiful suite but with not much privacy or outside area , the suite are not in standalone buildings but more or less all buildings host two . The way the resort is built , basically in the leaving room people can see you from the upper floor from the other buildings. In front you have public beach.
In the lagoon part it's even worse, as someone else stated where everybody seems to be seeing everybody.
As someone on tripadvisor has already stated rosewood mayakoba is basically two resorts , one at the lagoon and one at the beach. From the lagoon it takes about 4:30 minutes with a golf buggy (if it goes directly) to arrive to the beach (add 5 minutes to spot one ..) . This gives the idea of the distance. You can go also by boat but as they only have one it's usually busy somewhere and you can get it only by pure luck. Unfortunately you can only have breakfast at the lagoon so you are forced to take the trip everyday to the lobby.
The lobby area is beautiful as the architecture but at this distance from the sea you could be in the everglades or somewhere else . I don't understand why someone wants to go to Rivera Maya to stay so far from the beach . But it seems that all Mayakoba resorts have this marketing idea , expensive rooms far away from the beach or ultraexpensive if you want to see or be on it ( btw mayakoba seems to be a marketing name for a specific tract of rivera maya that seems not be different than anything else there).
Don't get me wrong , we are a big fan of Banyan Tree and Mandarin Oriental and have visited many , but it just does not make sense to "take holiday" to the beach and end up a mile or more away from it (as someone else mentioned with the mosquitos.. ). And if you choose to be on the beach you end up paying outrageous prices... plus you are away from any other restaurants and forced to eat pretty good , but far from astonishing food.

Years ago we where in Jamaica and a local told me Jamaica is far more expensive then Mexico because its "Jamaica". Well... times have changed ... Mayakoba seems to be the new ultraexpensive spot. but also this "bubble" like the housing bubble will come to and end.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family