We stayed at the Grand Yucatan Princess resort from December 10-16, 2011. The Yucatan rooms are part of the Riviera/Sunset resort but are in a separate 18+ area of the resort and are allowed all of the same privileges given to Platinum resort guests. Our room featured swim-up pool access directly from our patio area. This is the second time we have stayed in a Princess Resort and gone with the Platinum option - Again, it was totally worth it!
Our room was a nice size with tasteful decor. Beds were comfortable and our linens were clean. The bathroom had a whirlpool tub and his and her sinks. My only complaint was that the marble floors in the rooms/patio could get really slick and if your feet were wet, it wouldn't be hard to fall.
We left $1 to $2 everyday for the mini-bar guy (with a note listing how many beers/pops/waters etc we wanted) in fridge so that he would fill it up as full as possible. Some days he even left extras sitting out on our dresser b/c there wasn't any more room in the fridge. We also left a $1 or $2 for housekeeping. The maids did a fantastic job. Everyday our room looked like we had never even been there. They also left all new towels every morning.
Most days, we would wake up early, hit the Sunset or Riviera breakfast buffet (loads of different choices: omlet bar, scrambled eggs, frittatas, 2 and 3 types of sausage or bacon, homefries/hashbrowns, pancakes, french toast, waffles,fresh bread, bagels, pastries, yogurt, fresh fruit, cheese, cereal etc).
(Our neighbours ordered room service in most mornings for breakfast and they said it was great.)
Then we would spend the morning swimming in the pool. Ruth (the butler for the Yucatan bar) and Adolfo (the bartender) were awesome. Ruth was attentive and friendly and would always take a few minutes to chat with us to ensure that we were enjoying our stay and that we didn't have any questions or problems.
Usually by noon or so, the sun was on the far side of our building and that meant the pool wasn't getting any direct sun so we'd head to the beach.
The Grand Riviera/Sunset resort is massive! We were there a week and I'm positive that we didn't see it all. Luckily, there are electric golf-carts driven by the staff that will shuttle you from the lobby area down to the beach and back. We found this very helpful.
The Princess beach area was HUGE. Seriously, you could always find a beach chair, but you may have to walk further down the beach to get to it. My only complaint about the ocean is that it is very rocky anywhere other than in front of the main beach by the vendors. It can be a bit of a trek if you are further down on the beach and have to walk back to the main beach in order to go swimming. If I had taken other reviewers advice, I would've packed water shoes...
There are beach bars with awesome service and a BBQ booth where you can get freshly cooked, hamburgers, hotdogs and nachos. Everything we tried was tasty.
After spending the afternoon at the beach, we'd head back to our room and get showered and ready for dinner. We opted out of eating at the a la carte restaurants...it took us a couple days to remember that we had this option and by then most of the early times were booked, so we stuck with the buffet. Each night there was plenty of variety. Some nights were better than others (steak and lobster night were delish. Spanish night with rabbit and other weird stuff,,,not so much) but there were always lots of foods to choose from and there was always a station that had tasty familiar food if you weren't digging the choices from the theme night.
There's also a 24 hr sports bar called 5th Ave over in the Sunset resort near the lobby that had hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries, nachos and cheese etc. all day and night if you got hungry.
The staff at the Princess were always busy cleaning, gardening, painting, helping guests etc. All staff were super helpful and friendly regardless if you tipped or not. They make a concious effort to make your stay perfect.
The resort is beautiful and even though there are a lot of people at the resort, it's so big that you never feel like you're being crowded.
We had a great stay!
Feel free to email if you have any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa is located on the stunning Riviera Maya, just three kilometers from the famous Playa Del Carmen, in beautiful surrounds, with large and spacious natural parks and the delight of a good tropical weather. Besides our fascinating beach, renowned for the clear water and splendid sea beds, typical of the east end of the Yucatan Peninsula, the Hotel invites you to discover the huge wealth of the archaeological remains of the Maya culture in this area. After crossing the spacious lobby the splendid "Paseo de los Dioses" is reached, which invites the costumers to discover the charm of the hotel. It is a gift to our senses to enjoy all our facilities that can be found to our left and right on the way to the marvelous beach awaiting for everybody at the way of the pleasant stroll.Opened in December 2007, Grand Riviera Princess offers 674 fully equipped rooms with a range of services that give the clients a variety of possibilities to choose from: Junior Suite, Junior Suite Deluxe (some with direct pool access), Platinum Suites and Laguna Villa Suites (ideal for the most romantic honeymoon).A fascinating Spa is offered to all the clients, and the most complete activity program during day and night. A range of services in the varied and international selection of top quality food provide the perfect counterpoint when sharing moments of peace and calm with excellent meals in beautiful and inviting specially decorated surrounds, some of which are by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Riviera Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Riviera Princess Hotel
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen