Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #81 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 May 2012

This resort was very nice and clean the service was very good!
This was a very large place, love the swim up pool lounge. The staff was very helpful the food was good with many resturant to go to @ night. Would go back for sure!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carla M

Reviewed 22 May 2012

The resort is outstanding! The rooms were clean, the property was beautiful and clean. The service was top notch. The food was TERRIBLE!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Lisa W
Management2012, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear Mr & Mrs.
Thank you for letting us know how your stay was, we will be more than happy to have the opportunity to host you again very soon and give you once more the good service.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

A very large resort. Eight pools, plus swim up rooms for a premium, which I`m told, really add to the humidity levels. The humidity in May is brutal. You will walk a ton just on the size of the resort alone. More on that below. The place is 99% marble, floors, walls, ceilings, stairs, very nice! Very clean!

Food was very good, both the Buffet/s, and the three a la carte restaurants we tried, Italian, Fondue, and, sea food. The Buffet has theme nights, Italian, Oriental, etc. Breakfast was also good, though the toaster was slow, and, you needed put the bread through twice. I know, but, I like toast with my breakfast...

We stayed in a Junior Deluxe Suite, which was a free upgrade from the Junior suite. Maybe they do that with everybody...hard to tell. They are nicely appointed, with a jacuzzi tub, stand up shower stall, separate sinks. King size beds were comfy but, I've slept in better. Very humid in May, so the feeling of humidity definitely affects the quality of the sleep, even under the covers, and, even with the air conditioning and fan working. Have to find a happy medium between the fan and the AC. The AC fan is loud, not as bad as some places, but, loud nevertheless! Nice balconies. Very scenic grounds., well kept, impeccable! One of the best I have seen in a resort!!

Pool temperatures are not refreshing but, hey it's Mexico, so it is what it is. The ocean is warm also but, definitely more refreshing than the pools. The resort was at capacity, so you had to reserve a chair/s early if you wanted a prime beach front or pool front location. One complaint in general, they do not have enough staff going around taking drink orders, compared to other resorts. If you don`t go to a pool bar or local Cabana bar, you are going to wait a long time between drinks, unless you stay in the Platinum Suites. The Platinum Suite patrons get premium service, so if you can afford the extra expense, looks like it is probably worth it. Platinum patrons have their own areas of the beach, pools and premium service in terms of staff availability.

There is only one shuttle on either side of the resort, and, the stretch between the rooms close to the lobby, where we stayed, and, the beach is a LONG walk. If you miss a shuttle you will wait about 15-20 min. for another, and, sometimes they fill up quickly so you still might wind up walking. anyway.

Careful if booking excursions on a credit card, they charge a 4-5% surcharge, and they don`t tell you up front. If you ask them about it, they tell you there is a surcharge charged all over Mexico when paying by credit card. Nice line, I told the guy to cancel my credit card order, and paid cash, and, never to feed me that kind of BS again!! Plus, of course resort prices in the local on site shops are ridiculously expensive, so go to Playa Del Carmen to shop.

Staff is friendly and helpfull. But , maybe because it is such a big place, some of the service staff seemed to have a kind of an edge to the way they serve you. Sometimes, it felt like they were borderline rude/impatient! Probably a product of the work itself. Got to be tough to be UP everyday. I get that. Still, they are in the service business. Noticed service attitude more here, than other resorts.

OK, so it`s not perfect. What is? Still ,we went with another couple and we all agreed that overall we would seriously consider staying here again. Despite the little annoyances, it deserves a 5 star rating on the more important things people look for in an all inclusive.

Room Tip: Take Platinum if you can afford it. Junior Deluxe is fine if not.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
17  Thank Sal093

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel.
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you had hoped for it. We have especially noted your comments about pool temperature, the shuttle, etc, we are working in all issues.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future

Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for two weeks at the beginning of may. After reading some of the reviews after booking the holiday we were a bit wary, especially about all the thefts but we needn't have worried. We had a fantastic holiday and had nothing stolen but we kept all valuables in our locked suitcases and didn't use the safe in our room. The hotel was spotless and the staff were always doing something, cleaning, gardening, painting or just general maintenance. All of the staff were very polite, the food was fine for buffet food and we visited four of the a la cartes which were all good an a nice change. Beach was stunning and the sea was like a bath! Would definitely recommend and would happily go back!

• Stayed: May 2012
7  Thank Liachris

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel.
We are happy to know that you had enjoyed your 2 weeks stay .

Reviewed 18 May 2012

I wanted to love this resort, I really did. I read many of the reviews prior to booking and thought the negative reviews were foodies, elitists and whiners. Boy, was I wrong. I'll try to be as specific as possible to help current resort shoppers make an informed decision.

GOOD SERVICE vs. FRIENDLY STAFF:
-Yes, the staff is very friendly. Always saying "hola" and greeting you with a smile
-Service is very poor - the minute you have a problem or wander out of their cookie-cutter approach to doing business is when you encounter problems. Here are two examples:
1) There is a $10 charge if you lose your room card. One day, we left our room card in our room in the light slider (it's required for the electricity to be on in the room). The maid came in and took our room card while she was cleaning our room (they do not allow you to keep electricity on in your room when you leave, despite the fact that outlets don't work and if you're trying to charge your laptop/ipod/ipad/cell it will not charge due to no electricity). Anyway, the maid took our key because we were 'disobeying' the rules. I went to the from desk and spoke with Alejandra who told me there was no way the maid took our key without leaving a T-shaped note in the light slide saying it was taken. I explained over and over we were positive it was taken. She was extremely rude, accused me of lying and told me she was going to charge me $10. I left, searched our building for our maid, asked her about our room card, of which she proceeded to pull out of her pocket and handed to me, no question. Later on, I returned to Alejandra, explained what happened and she responded "What is your point. Next time you have a problem, go to concierge." No apology, nothing. Just flat-out rudeness. My jaw literally dropped when she said "What is your point." She couldn't have been more rude.
2) We hired a resort babysitter for 7 hours so we could go on an excursion. The babysitter arrived 30 minutes late and we missed our shuttle to our excursion. When the babysitter arrived, we sent her away and went to concierge to inform them of what happened. The concierge told us they were charging us 50% of the babysitter amount due to late cancellation. We explained over and over to Luis at the concierge and eventually escalated to the Guest Services Manager Gina that we did not want to cancel, but we missed our shuttle due to the babysitter's tardiness. THEY STATED IT WAS OUR FAULT that we did not give ourselves a larger buffer of time AND REFUSED to 1) reimburse us for any of our excursion expenses we forfeited and 2) insisted on charging us the $35 for late-babysitter cancellation! We are furious and are refuting the charges on our credit card with our card carrier.

FOOD:
-Low to medium grade (at times) at the buffets, think Panda Express or Old Country Buffet
-A la carte restaurants were OK, but it's hard to make extremely poor quality meats and cheeses taste very delicious. I don't hold the chefs or cooks accountable - they did what they could with poor ingredients
-NO SNACKS available in between meals except hot dogs and nachos at the sports bar. This was a huge problem for us, as we have a 2-year old son who eats snacks and the last thing I want to give him is hot dogs all day long.
-You are not allowed to bring food out of the buffets to your rooms. You will get scolded if you try to take food out. Several times, I sneaked out bananas and crackers in my bag for my son for later. This felt extremely elementary. We don't spend $2k+ on a vacation to have to sneak food.
-Every restaurant tries to upsell you to wine, etc not included in the all-inclusive plan
-Room service is an extra charge (and it's expensive). With Platinum, it is included.
-Again, not being able to take food back to your room was horrible. Our son takes an afternoon nap and if he was sleeping during lunch time, my husband and I had to go to the buffet alone and dine alone, one after the other. Just horrible.

FITNESS FACILITIES/CLASSES:
-Very nice, small workout room. Very clean and beautiful scenery
-Took a water aerobics class. Weird. They have you massage your neighbor's face, ears, back. Yuck.
-Took a Pilates class. Delightful. Although not true Pilates, the class was a great morning stretch/core workout

BEACH:
-Not the beautiful turquoise beaches that you find in Cancun.
-Lots of seaweed and pebbles when walking into the water. On a calm day, it was ok, because you could see to the bottom of the water and avoid it. But, the majority of the days that we were there, there were lots of waves, causing the water to be cloudy, and then you couldn't avoid what you stepped on and it was not good at all. I highly prefer the beach to the pool, but we ended up spending 75% of our swimming time at the pools
-Beautiful white sand and ability to walk for miles to the north and south adjacent beaches to the resort

DINNER RESERVATIONS:
-Some previous reviews complained about availability. We never had a problem, but we always wanted to dine at 6pm, which was earlier than most would like to dine. The best restaurant was the Fondue. We had a fun time.
-The ladies who booked the reservations were extremely friendly and helpful. Great service from these ladies.

KID'S CLUB:
-Delightful staff and very attentive girls working. Our son loved it.

FACILITIES:
-Beautiful and well-kept
-Our maid Mayte Bavahona did a fantastic job and scrubbed our room so thoroughly every day that it sparkled from top to bottom. Props to Mayte!

All in all, we would NOT go back and we will NOT RECOMMEND this resort to ANYONE. We've stayed at 3.5 star resorts that were better. We had a good time only because we determined not to let the negatives bother us, but we would never, ever ever go back. Our most fun days were the days when we were off-resort. Please take your business elsewhere! If you want a dream vacation, look into Couples Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica, CasaMagna in Puerto Vallarta or the Marriott in Lahaina, Maui. Far superior. Or, I would stay in Cancun if we ever decided to go back. Cancun is much nicer than Playa del Carmen in terms of beach quality. But, I think we're done with Mexico for a while.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
19  Thank mskking

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel.
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you had hoped for it. We have especially noted your comments about the missing room card, the babysitting service, food, restaurants, etc. we are working in all the issue.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Riviera Princess for 4 nights for our Anniversary. Upon arriving at the property, we decided to upgrade from the Jr. Deluxe Suite that we had originally booked. We instead stayed in a Laguna Villa Suite. When we mentioned at check-in that we wanted to upgrade, it seemed like it was a bit of an inconvenience, but overall, they were happy to upgrade us.

The Laguna Suites were AMAZING. It was one of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in. The outdoor shower was lovely, and so was the over-sized jacuzzi tub. There was a separate concierge for those staying in the Laguna Suites, and he helped us make reservations for dinner for 3 out of our 4 nights there. The private pool was great as well, it was definitely more of a relaxed spot, which we preferred. The bartender at the Laguna Pool bar was outstanding, and always ready to prepare your drink. She would bring us whatever we requested, so we rarely had to get up at all. They also had snacks at that pool all day.

The room service that was included in our stay was great as well, and although they always said it would be about 30 minutes before our order arrived, it always seemed to arrive faster. We had coffee brought to us almost every morning. Housekeeping staff came promptly at about 10:30 every morning. We had turn-down service only one night, our Anniversary.

The beach was a little rocky once you actually got into the water, but it was still beautiful nonetheless. The main beach area was rather crowded most of the time, so we opted to walk a little ways to the north, where the adults only section was. We were always able to grab a pair of chairs over there. That section of the beach was a lot quieter, and the bar service was better as well, with servers coming around about every 20 -30 minutes or so to see if you needed something to drink.

There were quite a few vendors on the beach, which is another reason we camped out on the adults only section of the beach. We did actually have one of the photographers snap a few pics of us on the beach, and he did a great job. I have had tons of compliments on the pictures he took.

The only pool we really spent any time at was our private one, but I liked that they did have a variety of pools with different "scenes". Some were obviously more "party" pools, some where more chill where families could hang out. There always seemed to be available chairs if you weren't too picky on exactly where you wanted them to be.

For the most part, service was rather good. Sometimes service at the restaurants/buffets was a little touch and go. But if you have a good attitude, you will probably get better service. Here's a hint..."please" and "thank you" can work wonders. We had many great bartenders and servers. Orlando at Las Olas was great, and the best server we had the entire trip.

Las Olas was probably the best meal we had. Their ceviche was ridiculously good. We also ate at Tapas and Le Fleur. I had a chicken dish at Tapas that was pretty good, and then the beef dish at Le Fleur was good too. We also ate at the buffet a few times as well. The buffet's best meal was breakfast, other than that, it was kind of hit and miss. Overall, the food was maybe the only downside. It was decent, but not great. I've stayed at other all-inclusive resorts, and had better food. If you want coffee or anything at the restaurants, make sure you ask for it by the time they bring your dessert. Our experience was that after they dropped off your dessert, they aren't coming back to your table to check on you.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort to friends (unless they are real foodies). It was clean, gorgeous, and had a variety of activities to cater to a multitude of guests.

Room Tip: The property is huge. If you want to be closest to the beach, go with a Platinum room. If you want t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank LinseyLou
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Hotel was very clean and had beautiful grounds (pools, landscaping, beach, rooms, etc.)

One thing i would recommend is booking your flight later in the day as we arrived at the hotel at noon and couldnt check in our room until 3pm.

Food was just OK... but coming from Chicagoland where the food is great, its hard to compare.

The grounds are fairly large, but comparable to most resorts I have stayed at before. All the hotel staff was very kind and friendly. Our room was cleaned nicely every day, the pools were kept clean (there were pool staff outside every morning), restaurants were decorated with modern looks, whole resort was beautiful with marble tile everywhere. They have fun shows to go to every night in the main lobby area... fire show is pretty cool.

The beach has beautiful white sand... and the water is nice (I think Cancun's water is nicer, but overall we couldnt complain). There were quite a few massage huts on the beach that ask you EVERY time you walk by if you want a massage... which was a little annoying, but we spent most of our time at the pools more than the beach so we werent bothered too much. The pools have waiters walking around so you can ask for a drink if you are too lazy to get up and go to the bar... which we did a few times :)

Overall it was a fun trip... we stayed 5 days/ 4 nights. Probably wouldnt go back again... not because it wasnt good, but because we are the type of people who like to go to different places and explore.

**Tip: bring your own suntan lotion... we ran out and paid $40 for a suntan lotion and aloe gel in the hotel shops!

Room Tip: We asked for a room in the middle of the resort... that way the walking wasnt too far to the lobby o...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank CrystalH56

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!