“Great just a few problems”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #78 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Derbyshire, England
“Great just a few problems”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We travelled to mexico on the 23rd of november & came back on the 7th December. This was our first trip to mexico and we were really impressed. As soon as we got off our coach the hotel looked fantastic. Took us 45 mins to check in and then another hour to get our bags but that was nothing too major.

The hotel has one of the most beautiful grounds i have seen in a hotel. Full of fountains and statues among other things. The pool was basically one huge pool as all the pools were linked together, except of course the kids pool. All were well maintained of course. However the pool outside the swim up rooms was sometimes dirty, however you can guarantee they were mostly cleaned everyday.

The rooms were fantastic, they looked so beautiful. Rooms were very specious and were always clean and well stocked. My favourite was the whirlpool bath it was heaven for both me and my partner. The beds were perfect in my opinion people often say they are too hard but this wasnt the case in our room. We stayed in a room which was based directly behind the main pool speakers. which you would think was bad however music always started at around 11 and finished at 5 so no problems.

One thing that did bug me was how rude most americans and canadians were. Always pushing people around and pushing in on queues to food and very loud. I think they were not happy unless they were center of attention.

The daily activities at the hotel were also good with great staff running the show they would work 12 hour shifts everyday as they did night entertainment aswell and not once did they look tierd. Strongly recommend the shooting and archery which were my personal favourite. The night time entertainment was also mostly great best shows were the horror show and party time both had some of the best dances i have ever seen. However one dancer always stood out everytime i cudnt remember his name however he was tall and bald and often he looked like he cudnt be bothered he definately stood out from the other dances and I have to say the person who organised all the dancers was great and he definately deserves a pat on the back.

Food was also good. Really good quality food not once did i have a bad meal although there wasnt as much choice as most all inclusive hotels it was still very good. They had themed nights in the main buffet restaurants everyday such as mexican, seafood, italian and japanese and always offered things like burgers, chips, hot dogs, salad and some type of meat everyday. They also had a good range of restaurants such as japanese, italian, steak house, mexican and more we visited the italian and steak house and we very impressed they were fantastic. However you have to book 2-3 days in advance.

Overall the holiday was fantastic and so was the hotel apart from tiny little things it was just simply beautiful. The one major thing that bothered me more than anything was the sea. Although looking very beautiful it was dangerously rocky there is no signs warning you of this. It is simply impossible to go for a swim without cutting your foot on a sharp piece of rock. This ruined it for me and my partner as we love a good swim in the sea however we had to go in the pool for this so we decided we wudnt come back again for this reason.

Warning this hotels on site shops are very expensive. Talking around £10 for some crisps. Go to playa del carmen if you need anything a taxi costs $20 and reception will call you a taxi and they will arrive in less than 5 mins. Takes around 10 minutes to get to playa del carmen.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kabilaking
Obed C, Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
We are however disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectatives due to the sea. We are working in each comment that you said for the hotel.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you how we improved our service.

Grand Riviera Princess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,822)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

After reading many reviews about this resort, I will give my opinion. We arrived Dec 21, in the evening, check in went quickly, and our bags were delivered to our room, which was a junior suite, without a view of anything. The next day I went to the office and asked to upgrade to a villa, unsure if they had one, we waited and sure enough they did, it cost us $100.00 more per night, but so worth it. We had a private pool, concierge ,pool bar, and places to eat for only those staying in the villas. We were quite impressed to walk into the villa, a beautifully large suite with an outside shower, which had plants, beautiful stone, towels hanging , it was lovely, and private. The room and maid service were both excellent, and always done promptly! The waiters at the private pool Anna, and Marco we amazing and a lot of fun and very helpful when you needed to figure out what to drink next!!! As far as the resort in concerned , it is very very large, to large for what we are used to,when it rains, which it did a few times, all the walkways inside and out are slippery beyond words, and very dangerous, people on crutches, broken ankles, so that wasn't to impressive. The ala carte restaurants were reasonably good, as was the service. However the buffets were another story, the food was the same every day, and it truly wasn't very good, compared to other resorts we have stayed at in the past. The spa and spa services were wonderful and I would recommend them. We stayed at Secret Silversands last year which is a much higher end resort, but this was lovely as well. My advice, upgrade to the villa, and enjoy the private amenities and meeting wonderful people as we did. There are so many wonderful memories from our trip. Again it is a large resort ,so you do not build much of a relationship with the staff, who were not overly friendly, until you get to the private areas! All in all I would rate this hotel at best a 4 maybe 4.5!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a villa, or at least premium, the junior suites have poor locations without any view at a...
5 Thank blondejen
Dear guest,
First of all we would like to thank you about the time you invest to share your comments about your resent stay with us at Grand Riviera Princess, for us the principal goal is the satisfaction of the guest that choose us to enjoy their vacations in the Riviera Maya.

We are so glad that our hotel, services and the attention from our staff, met your overall expectations.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you how we are improve our services.

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My opinion. When we arrived it would of been nice to be greeted with an arrival drink. Our luggage was taking off us, but we at to find our own way to our room. (its a big hotel). When we found the room, it was very spacious and immaculate no complaints there. The restaurant s, we unfortunately at to wait three days to get availability. The italian and grill well worth the visit. Overall the hotels grounds and rooms excellent but the service is definitely not a five star service. fur coat no knickers I'm afraid shame as its definitely got the potential. Silly little things like half empty drinks getting put back in the minibar instead of being replaced the hotels missing little extras that other five star accommodations excel in.

2 Thank SuSana G
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us.
We are so happy to hear that you enjoy your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
Without hesitation we will put your suggestions in practice.
We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future to show you how we improved all the observations that you did.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week stay at the princess riviera and it was great. With 11 restaurants 2 buffets , 8 pools that I could see , it was a real getaway. Nothing but relaxation and enjoy the sun and beach. The food was great , a lot of variety ,buffet was overwhelming . If you want to get away from everything for a week and you don't want to break the bank , this is a great all inclusive resort.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angelo s
Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other TripAdvisor Travelers.
I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have.
One of our top priorities is that you and all our guests have a memorable experience to share with their family and friends.

It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I booked this trip as a special Christmas trip for my family (4 of us - 2 boys ages 9 and 6) plus my parents, who had never gone to a resort before, and my sister and her fiance. I didn't read the reviews before hand because I was in a rush and just got the travel agent to book it. So when I read some of poor reviews I was so worried and spent hours reading these reviews praying they were wrong....

...and they were! This is a lovely resort. It's huge and it's a 10 minute walk from the beach to the main check in but you need to walk to burn off all the food and drink you are consuming. There are restaurants and bars scattered throughout the resort so you aren't walking up there every day. We did not upgrade to Platinum so can't comment that aspect of it. The buffet was great and had lots of selection for us. Some people have said the food isn't hot enough and I have no idea what they were going on about - it was just fine. We tried the seafood, mexican, japanese and chinese restaurants. The seafood and japanese were super and my kids loved the "show" the chefs in the japanese restaurant put on for us. The mexican was only so-so, the food in the buffet was better. My only complaint was the chinese food. It was awful and I didn't eat my dinner at all - we ended up going to the sports bar afterwards for hot dogs!

The servers were all attentive and lovely whether or not you tipped. The drinks were great - you just have to ask for the premium alcohol and they were more than happy to use that instead of the bar stock.

We had free tennis lessons each day with Luis. He was great. My father is an advanced player and really felt he improved over the week in his classes. I am a beginner and they had classes for me as well. There were anywhere from 1-6 people in a class each day and you didn't have to sign up in advance. Definitely recommend it.

Did not go to the spa but my mum went to the gym everyday and enjoyed it.

If it's high season, as it was for us, you do have to do the 8 am snag a beach/pool chair game in order to get the best seats but it was a good excuse to pick up a yummy coffee to bring back to the room. The beach has plenty, almost too much, of shade and you can walk all the way to Playa del Carmen if you want! My sister did and it took her about 90 minutes along the beach.

Some people have complained about the huts on the beach with vendors but I was actually grateful for that. It meant that if you wanted to buy something you could but they never came round and bugged you. The resort is so far away from anything that there are very few people walking the beach trying to sell you stuff. If you are looking to be able to get into Playa del Carmen easily - it's a $22 cab ride for the 8 km journey...although I did hear from a local condo owner that she only pays $6.00 a ride and her condo is about 1 km from the hotel. If you are willing to walk 20 minutes you can walk to the highway and get the bus for next to nothing. We were going to relax and do nothing so we weren't too concerned about getting around very often.

I was hoping that my kids would have spent their days in the kids club but when we were there they just had little kids and my two boys refused to go which was fine. There was one "loud" pool with music and Zumba classes etc but all the rest were quiet so you can plant yourself in the area you like best. I loved the pools there - they were amazing.

Suggestions for the resort. Everyone should receive a schedule of activities and shows when they check-in and you need to list the locations for the activities. My son wanted to play soccer and by the time we realized it was on the beach the game was over.

The grounds are fantastic and the housekeeping was great. I have absolutely no complaints. Did not see a show but enjoyed the music and dancing in the main plaza each night. Heard the disco gets packed at about 12 am but didn't go myself. There are tons of young people around so if you are taking teenagers or early twenties - they will have lots to do as well.

So overall it was super and I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The buildings are labelled 1000 to 8000. We were in 2000 building and my sister was in the 3000 buil...
3 Thank Deirdre T
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your honest review with TripAdvisor’s Travelers, we are grateful for your visit at Grand Riviera Princess.
Your feedback is very motivating and helps us to keep on working so hard every day.
We feel honored to hear that you hope to return to Grand Riviera Princess pretty for the next year.
We appreciate your kind words as it pertained to our facilities, food and the service from our staff.
Thank you very much for your visit and we look forward to seeing you.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you our outstanding service.

Grand Riivera Princess
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

My husband and I stayed in a Platinum Suite at the Grand Riviera Princess from December 8th to December 14th. After staying here, I have to wonder if we were at the same resort as the people who have given the Grand Riviera Princess a one-star rating. I am going to use this review to address a number of the issues that people brought up.

Size of the Resort – This is indeed a large resort. In fact the size of the resort and the number of amenities was one of the reasons we decided to stay here. Many people have complained that it is a long walk from the lobby to the beach. My husband has arthritis in his feet and did not find the 10 minute walk a burden at all. When we were too tired to walk from the nightly entertainment area to our room we waited for the trolley. We did not find it hard to get around the resort at all.

Trolley – Many people complained that trolley did not run often enough. Again, this was not what we encountered. Whenever we decided to use the trolley we found that it was running on schedule and we did not have to wait more than 15 minutes. The drivers were always very sociable, interacted well with the guests and answered any questions that we had.

Cleanliness – A few people complained that their room was not always clean and some even said they found bugs in their room. We experienced neither issue. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job keeping our room very clean. As our room was very near the beach we inevitably tracked in a fair amount of sand. Each day the floors were immaculate and the room was almost always cleaned by mid-morning. Our deck Jacuzzi was very clean and we used it almost every day as a way to relax before dinner.

As for the cleanliness of the hotel as a whole, it was wonderful. The hotel staff was always around landscaping or cleaning common areas. One night we left for dinner and noticed that someone had spilled their drink in the elevator. I mentioned this to one of the staff members so that no one would slip on it. He thanked me for letting them know and by the time we returned the elevator was once again spotless.

Slippery Floors – Several people have complained that the floors are very slippery. Yes, the floors are marble and of course they will be slippery when they get wet. With 12 pools and a beach, they are going to get wet and that is why there are signs everywhere warning you about this. The only time I had any issues with slippery floors was when I foolishly went barefoot from the beach back to our room. I did not fall, but had I; it would have been my own fault. I think a number of the issues people have with slipping is due to their own carelessness or perhaps intoxication.

Staff – People have mentioned that the staff was not helpful. This was definitely not the case. Every member of staff that we encountered was very friendly. Whether you were in one of the restaurants/buffets or just walking down a path, everyone we met greeted us and was very pleasant.

I would especially like to recognize Irving who is a concierge in the Platinum Suite lounge. The first morning we were there he sat with us and explained the benefits of the Platinum Suites. He helped us to make dinner reservations and when I had trouble scheduling our connection from the hotel to the airport he made a call to the company we had booked with and was able to get it straightened out in minutes. He was very friendly and polite.

Food – If you are looking for Michelin Star dining you might be disappointed in the food. However, we found the quality and variety of the food to be very good. It was nice to have the option for a made to order omelet in the morning and everything was very fresh in the buffets. I have to admit I was close to becoming addicted to their corn tortillas. We ate at La Hacienda and Miso for restaurants and were pleased with both of them. I cannot address people’s comments about the reservation system because since we were staying in the Platinum Suites the concierge helped us with that.

Beach – Many people mentioned issues with the beach such as the smell and trouble with finding beach chairs. Again, because we were in the Platinum Suites section we had an area of the beach designated for us and had little trouble finding chairs except for the first day when we didn't go to the beach until noontime. Even that day we were able to get chairs within about half an hour.

There is a smell at the beach, but unlike some people who have implied that it is a sewage smell we did not think that. We live near a beach and the smell was very similar to that which we encounter when a lot of seaweed washes up on the beach and begins to disintegrate. While we did not see a lot of seaweed on the beach which was very clean, there is a lot of plant life in the water and we think that is where the smell comes from.

Entertainment – This is perhaps the only item which we have mixed reviews about. The nightly performance in the central gathering plaza was a nice way to relax after dinner. However, we were disappointed that there was no live entertainment on the Friday night that we were there. It was our last night and is seemed a little anticlimactic not to have live music that night. We did attend a couple of the performances in the theater, but they were not really our cup of tea so we did not stay long enough to fairly review them.

Spa & Gym – We were very pleased with the facilities in both the gym and the spa. The locker rooms and water circuit facilities were excellent and a great way to spend a rainy morning. All of the equipment in the gym was in good working order and the staffs in both places were very friendly. The next time we visit we plan on taking advantage of more of the spa treatments.

Construction – Yes, they are building a new resort next to the Grand Riviera Princess. We found that the construction began about 8:00 in the morning and ended about 9:00 pm. We did not find the noise from the construction to be very loud at all. We could not hear it at all on the beach or from our room. In fact the only time we did hear it was when we were walking along the trolley path to the lobby. We really wouldn't call this a major issue at all.

Overall, my husband and I loved our stay at Grand Riviera Princess. We cannot wait to visit again in 2015. We would highly recommend this resort and would suggest paying the small amount extra to stay in a Platinum Suite. Like myself, I know a number of people read TripAdvisor reviews before making a decision on where to stay and I hope this review will help address a number of the issues that have been mentioned about the Grand Riviera Princess.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the Platinum Suite. The units are close to the beach and are ver...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank mecelt73
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Grand Riviera Princess for your vacations in Mexico.

We are more than happy to receive your review. These are the comments we love to read from our guests since they keep us motivated to keep offering the most amazing experiences and unforgettable memories.
We really want to thank you for respond some of the negatives reviews of our Resort on TripAdvisor; We think your nice and honest comments will help to our future guests to make their own opinion about our resort.

It would be a great pleasure for our staff and the management to welcome you back in the near future.

Greetings from Caribbean!

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was our second time at this resort andwe loved it even more this time around. We have travelled to many different areas of Mexico and stayed in several different all inclusives. This is definately our favourite for many reasons. The first time we stayed here, it was a family vacation and this time an adult trip with a small group. One of the only negatives I have is that we requested a king bed junior suite room and didn't get it. We were upgraded to a junior suite deluxe but it had 2 double beds. We returned to the front desk and chatted with Francesco and were told that there would be no King rooms available until the next day(Sunday). So not a problem for us - off to dinner and fun with our friends. We decided that we would upgrade to a villa suite if it was available. Back the next morning to find out about the villa - long story short - due to availablitlity, we couldn't get a villa until Monday and our friends could have it Tuesday. Eventhough they were at almost capacity, they gave us a great deal on our upgrade. The junior suites are very nice rooms but the villa's are premium! We just wanted to treat ourselves. Highly recommend the villa - better alcohol, private pool, teak loungers, cabanas, concierge, bar, waitress, massages and so much more.... Concierge made all of our reservations for dinners at the restaurants of our choice and only denied once as we had 17 people for dinner at the Japanese restaurant so we changed days. The food was better than average and very easy to handle for 2 weeks. Everything a little salty but not unpleasant - just drink more beer - lol! The service was always very good, everyone was very helpful and so friendly. Our waitress Liliana was an absolute delight and had a great sense of humour. We taught her a few drinks that we all liked and she always got them right. Drinks never empty unless you wanted it to be. Rene was a great bartender and Octavio was our concierge that went above and beyond the whole time we were there. The pools and grounds were immaculate eventhough it was the end of their rainy season. The beach is one of the nicest for walking, sunning, playing and swimming. The villa and platinum club have a private roped off area at the beach with waitress and never had a problem getting loungers. The rest of the beach was crazy packed as were most of the other pools areas. The property is huge but is so nicely layed out with bars and restaurants throughout that here is always something for every person and mood.
The floors in most of the common lobby areas are marble and can be very slippery - must be mindful of this at all times. We did see several people take falls as did 2 of us. Luckily no one was hurt other than our pride. There are ongoing activities for those that wish to keep busy. Location is very close to Playa del Carmen and there is a free shuttle that runs a couple times each day. We will go back again!!

Room Tip: Behind the Riviera side of the hotel , they are constructing a new resort and it can be a bit noisy...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen Grand Riviera Princess for your latest vacations and for this excellent review!
Your wonderful words are the best compliments for us. Please rest assured that we will extend your compliments to the entire staff, so they keep doing their best every day.

It is our constant goal to keep you happy on every visit and make it even better than last time.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Grand Riviera Princess and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,182 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,446 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,169 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!