Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
US$849
US$366
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,342
US$868
Bookit.com
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
US$195
US$190
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$675
US$353
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,474
US$1,080
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
US$408
US$257
9,189 results
All reviewsa la carte restaurantssports barfondueplatinum suitemama miaplatinum areale fleurplatinum conciergechill out barla vaqueriaplatinum poolthe grilllas olaswater shoesprivate pooldays in advanceseafood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I spent six days in December at the Grand Riviera Princess Hotel. We went all out and got the Platinum Suite, and it was absolutely beautiful! All of the servers at the hotel were super kind and helpful throughout our stay. The resort has several restaurants and beautiful landscape. A downside to the platinum suite is that there are only 2 or 3 rooms that have an ocean view, even though they claim that the platinum suites have ocean views, but the hotel has so many pools and small waterways, that we really didn't miss the ocean view too much. However, I thought the advertisement was a little misleading, so I want to give future guests insight about that before they get a platinum suite that has no ocean view.

The only negative thing that I can say about the hotel is that we told the people at the front desk that we were trying to make a call to the US from our room. They told us that we would need to buy an international phone card (which they sold), and then we could use it to get out, and we would just have to dial '9' when calling outside the hotel. We paid 20 dollars for the phone card, tried to make 2 phone calls, no no avail. I went back to the front desk and told them about our problem. She said that we would have to use the payphone in the lobby. I told her what they had told us previously, and she said that they would have to charge us a four dollar connection fee, but they would not charge us anything else. However, when we went to check out, we had an additional 30 dollars on our bill. I told the man (who was on duty) at the front desk, and he was very rude to us. He said, "you made the call, you pay the bill." I proceeded to tell him that they were only going to charge a connection fee, and he continued to be very rude. I asked him if he was willing to throw away 2000 dollars a year (because we were there for our anniversary and intended to make it a yearly occasion) for a 30 dollar ridiculous charge? And he said again "you make a call, you pay for it." We then just paid the bill because we had to get going because our cab was there. I then sent an email to the manager. They have not even attempted to correct the issue, or even say they were sorry for the rude behavior of their personnel.

Next time, we will just change our cell phone service before we leave, but it's the principle that the rudeness at checkout, lack of customer service, disinterest in assisting a guest, and lack of an apology left a bad taste in our mouths. Our plane was also delayed to the states because of icy weather in the Dallas/Ft worth airport, so we asked for an extra night. We were just going to keep the same room and because we had booked through Expedia, the hotel wouldn't even help us (which is why we needed to make the phone call in the first place). They said that if we didn't call expedia, they were going to charge us 550 dollars for one night. We only paid 2000 dollars for six nights! I refused to allow them to overcharge us one again, so we left there and went to Tres Rios and received wonderful service, so I guess we will be spending the next several years there!
Too bad--because most of the stay was wonderful! I just wanted future guests to have fair warning--it's a wonderful place, as long as you don't have any issues.

Room Tip: Just so you know, the platinum rooms are so far away from everything, you have to take a trolley to get to the restaurants and entertainment. It is nice if you want peace and quiet, but it was a little bit of a burden to get to the fun and food.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Leeann B
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the opportunity you gave us having chosen Grand Riviera Princess for your recent stay at the Mexican Caribbean.

I would like to apologize if you felt that the answer of our staff was very rude; Be assured that your comments have been shared with the management to take action on the matter and this situation never happens again.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused on your stay with us. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and can fully understand your disappointments.

I appreciate you took the time to share this experience with us and with others, and finally I remain at your service in case you consider to give us a second chance in the future to change your experience.

Kind regards,

Obed Canché

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Property of this hotel is really WAY TOO BIG, which makes moving around a time consuming
and tiring process, so be prepared to walk A LOT and waste a ton of vacation time walking just to get to any of the facilities within the hotel.
The sea at this hotel beach is absolutely ugly, dark, full of rocks and algae. If you like bathing in the sea, this is NOT the place to go.
"All inclusive" in this hotel includes VERY LITTLE things, so be prepared to spend A LOT extra.
Balcony of the rooms is FULL of bird droppings, which makes that area unusable & really nasty.
Not much is allowed within the hotel and all the there are many rules that make a resting and peaceful vacation time difficult (I assure you I am not a trouble maker, pickie or destroying person). Not even with reasonable cause do they "go the extra mile" for anybody.
Many of the employees are not exactly welcoming and very rude.
Internet is US$ 20.oo a day and it sucks - there's no free internet anywhere in the hotel (and some of us only need the internet for a thing or two now & then. Getting anything done with that internet is VERY hard. You may "rent" their useless internet for 30 min for US$10.oo
Local calling is US$ 2.oo a minute (seriously?).
TV could not be any worse, it absolutely sucks. At night, do not count on anything to see there.
This hotel is not even close to the star rating they say it has. I'll tell you, spend elsewhere. This place is OVERPRICED. 2 Star is probably the rating it should have. By experience, having been in Mexico about 6 times, I assure you, you can get MUCH better for MUCH less.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank andres a
Obed C, Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay at Grand Riviera Princess.

We are however disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectatives.
I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced with the resort; We hope you understand it was never our intention to disappoint you in anyway.
We are really sorry about the few issues that occurred during your stay because the most important part for us is to make our guest feel home from home.

Despite your initial impressions, I do hope we can correct our shortcomings and invite your friends or family back in the future for a seamless vacation from arrival to departure.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 January 2014

It rained nearly every day (nov2nd-13th) the marble floors were awash with rainwater, sloppy and dangerous to walk on. Especially as its a long way from the roon
M to the bar and buffet. The children's playgrounds shown online did not exist and there was nothing for toddlers to do. The shallow pools were not cleaned and full of insects, dead frogs and caterpillars. Around the pools were colony's of red ants all over the beds and umbrellas. The food was monotonous and definitely not 5 star in quality or choice. We visited for my nieces wedding and wish we had only booked for 1 week. If you want a club 18-30 holiday, this is the place. Booze and discos the only option. Even the restaurants were poor. Definitely wouldn't go back

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jacki T

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us and TripAdvisor’s Readers.

We are very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.

Let me to inform you that we are going to pass your comments to all the areas involved to take it in consideration and review the process.

Once more we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a feedback of your recent stay and we really hope you visit us again in Playa del Carmen.

Best Regards

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Travelled to Mexico with my boyfriend for the first time end of August for 2 weeks.

When we arrived at the hotel we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded for FREE. The room was amazing, large king size bed and excellent bathroom facilities. Both his and hers sinks (bonus) the jacuzzi bath was really relaxing, was great we got to watch tele at the same time. Only downside to the room was the lack of sea/ pool view and few little bugs we got, was easily resolved with bug repellent.

Certainly didnt go hungry especially with the choice of restaurants; beach bbq, buffet, A La Carte. Best was the grill that we booked it twice and the oriental was lovely too. All included in holiday package. They definitley stick to smart dress code. No shorts allowed in A La Carte!!

Beach was so relaxing. Clear waters and white sand. You do get vendors along the beach but they are a good laugh and dont hassle you to much. Make sure to get best deal as other vendors offer same excursions but cheaper.

Entertainment was fantastic. All work so hard and certainly put on a show. Daytime games are brilliant; tequila volleyball

Recommend: buy sun tan lotion, aftersun at home (alot cheaper). Trips; chichen itza was the best. Get the best of mexican culture, also involves tequila factory tour

Will 100% return maybe honeymoon ;)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Katie B

Dear Guest,
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services.
Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you our outstanding service.

Best Regards

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We travelled to mexico on the 23rd of november & came back on the 7th December. This was our first trip to mexico and we were really impressed. As soon as we got off our coach the hotel looked fantastic. Took us 45 mins to check in and then another hour to get our bags but that was nothing too major.

The hotel has one of the most beautiful grounds i have seen in a hotel. Full of fountains and statues among other things. The pool was basically one huge pool as all the pools were linked together, except of course the kids pool. All were well maintained of course. However the pool outside the swim up rooms was sometimes dirty, however you can guarantee they were mostly cleaned everyday.

The rooms were fantastic, they looked so beautiful. Rooms were very specious and were always clean and well stocked. My favourite was the whirlpool bath it was heaven for both me and my partner. The beds were perfect in my opinion people often say they are too hard but this wasnt the case in our room. We stayed in a room which was based directly behind the main pool speakers. which you would think was bad however music always started at around 11 and finished at 5 so no problems.

One thing that did bug me was how rude most americans and canadians were. Always pushing people around and pushing in on queues to food and very loud. I think they were not happy unless they were center of attention.

The daily activities at the hotel were also good with great staff running the show they would work 12 hour shifts everyday as they did night entertainment aswell and not once did they look tierd. Strongly recommend the shooting and archery which were my personal favourite. The night time entertainment was also mostly great best shows were the horror show and party time both had some of the best dances i have ever seen. However one dancer always stood out everytime i cudnt remember his name however he was tall and bald and often he looked like he cudnt be bothered he definately stood out from the other dances and I have to say the person who organised all the dancers was great and he definately deserves a pat on the back.

Food was also good. Really good quality food not once did i have a bad meal although there wasnt as much choice as most all inclusive hotels it was still very good. They had themed nights in the main buffet restaurants everyday such as mexican, seafood, italian and japanese and always offered things like burgers, chips, hot dogs, salad and some type of meat everyday. They also had a good range of restaurants such as japanese, italian, steak house, mexican and more we visited the italian and steak house and we very impressed they were fantastic. However you have to book 2-3 days in advance.

Overall the holiday was fantastic and so was the hotel apart from tiny little things it was just simply beautiful. The one major thing that bothered me more than anything was the sea. Although looking very beautiful it was dangerously rocky there is no signs warning you of this. It is simply impossible to go for a swim without cutting your foot on a sharp piece of rock. This ruined it for me and my partner as we love a good swim in the sea however we had to go in the pool for this so we decided we wudnt come back again for this reason.

Warning this hotels on site shops are very expensive. Talking around £10 for some crisps. Go to playa del carmen if you need anything a taxi costs $20 and reception will call you a taxi and they will arrive in less than 5 mins. Takes around 10 minutes to get to playa del carmen.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kabilaking

Dear Guest,
We are however disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectatives due to the sea. We are working in each comment that you said for the hotel.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you how we improved our service.

Best Regards,