“Awe Inspiring, Pleasing to the Eye, but...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #75 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Granite City, Illinois
“Awe Inspiring, Pleasing to the Eye, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Staff and service were incomparable. No complaints here. Landscaping and layout of hotel was immaculate and breathtaking. Must get to the beach early for a chair or later once the sun is setting. We had trouble finding our room as we arrived in the evening after dark, so because the resort is so large, it was difficult to maneuver through the grounds or find where the carts were to take us to the room. We eventually found our room and our bags arrived shortly after. Room was great, except for maybe the older TV and choices of channels (not a big deal). Our room faced some construction on the other side of a wall about 50 yards away where the resort is obviously expanding. I would have preferred a poolside view. Some of the first floor rooms have walkouts to the pool which are very convenient! If you like a lot of excitement there is a pool area for this. If you like swim-up bars with not a lot of noise, they have that too. If you choose to be more secluded, well, there are spots for that too. Lots of shade for those fair-complexion people like me. Most of the resort grounds are shaded, even the beach.

There are limitations to eating. Two snack bars close to the beach are only open for breakfast and lunch. A couple are not included with the all-inclusive. Others require reservations and due to when we arrived, we could only make late reservations which was not our preference due to our routine back home. We made reservations for the next three nights, but only took advantage of one because the others were just too late. The one we chose was Mexican, but it was not all that great. It was ok. We mostly ate at the buffet due to the convenient times to eat. Even though there were many choices of entrees, salads, and desserts, most of the food was plain-tasting and bland, as well as lukewarm and I like my food hot. Getting something off the grill was the best like steak, pork, or eggs for breakfast. There are many choices of drinks, to include alcohol, and I have no complaints there. I would just say overall it was clean, filling, and the service was incredible! We ate at the sports bar once and they had your usual sports bar food (nachos, hot dogs, hamburgers), but they didn't have a pleasing or "normal" taste you would expect. As you can see, I was not impressed by the food, but we did enjoy our last night's buffet there. For some reason there were more pleasing choices, the food had flavor, and we just had a better experience.

I was told through Hotels.com that the resort had transportation from the airport (twice at different times) but found out the day before they do not provide it. I scrambled to find a taxi service to ensure I would have transportation when I arrived. A representative was there and made the final arrangements, but it took about 15 to 20 min, so we had to wait. On the contrary, when we left (5am), the driver was there and waiting at the resort. At the hotel, Best Day Travel can provide access to many activities, to include transportation to and from the airport. I wish I had known this, but trying to contact the hotel prior to arrive was just a steady ring with no answer. I'm sure it would have made me feel better to work with the company represented at the resort had I known.

We went on two trips to XCARET and XPLOR! I highly recommend both of these. I would say to plan on two days at XCARET or at least stay through the big show they have in the evening. XPLOR you can do in the time permitted based on your travel arrangements provided by the park to and from the resort. We had our best meal, to include the view and the quality of food at XCARET. XPLOR and XCARET both provide all-inclusive meals and drinks. XCARET is a little different as they have four or five restaurants, but once you choose one, then that's the one you have to go back to if you want to eat again. XPLOR has the tallest Zip Lines in Latin America! XPLOR also provides helmets you must wear, but they include a chip where pictures are taken throughout the day and can be purchased for like $80 on a USB at the end of the day. It's definitely worth it as the pictures are great and due to all the water and cave layout, bringing your own camera is an inconvenience. XCARET is mostly Mexican (Maya) history, but very informative and fun.

I would recommend upgrading to the Platinum rooms if you want Internet and beach-side rooms. The resort is perpendicular to the ocean so those are the only rooms next to the beach. Getting Internet access anywhere else is charged by 30-min increments and is a hassle. Don't talk to anyone at the airport until you get outside. It is all a Timeshare scam. There is a souvenir shop at the resort and has almost anything you may need and nice gifts for family and friends. There is a spa and a gym on the property as well. There are even activities for kids where the couples can get away for the day and leave your kids in good hands and plenty of fun.

Overall, a place you will remember based on appearance and cleanliness of the resort. However, don't go for the food unless you are just a very wide-variety of food type person and will eat almost anything, even food you may not recognize. Ensure you find out how to make reservations at the restaurants before you leave so you can get a decent time, unless you don't mind eating late...like 9pm! If you do any parks, ensure you have a day to relax at the resort (on the beach or by the pools) before you return back home.

Room Tip: I would recommend upgrading to the Platinum rooms if you want Internet and beach-side rooms. The re...
6 Thank JPNewc
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear JPNewc,

Thank you very much for having chosen Grand Riviera Princess and bring your family.

I apologize for the first impression you had of us, but I assure you that we do all our best in order to satisfy all our guest and exceed their expectations.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Best Regards
Grand Riviera Princess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,792)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
West Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I just returned from Cozumel and Playa del Carmen on a romantic trip with my boyfriend for our birthdays and I have to say that the resort we stayed out in Cozumel made this resort look horrible. We stayed one night here and from the minute we entered, we were treated poorly. The guy we encountered at the front desk was not helpful at all, didn't explain where anything was just told us we had to wait until 3:00 to check-in (we arrived at 1:30) and I asked about early check-in which he replied we couldn't do so we went to the pool to hangout which was about a 10 minute walk from the front desk...we felt like we needed a scooter just to get around because this place is HUGE! We hung out by the pool and learned from some new friends we met that you had to make dinner reservations by a certain time or else you wouldn't be eating (our last resort wasn't like this) so we left the pool and made it 5 minutes before the reservation desk closed (which I must add the girl at the reservation desk told us to hurry and decide because she would be leaving in 5 minutes, rude!)...I was a little upset that the front desk didn't relay this message. When we finally got into our room, it didn't seem like the room I had booked (which was a deluxe junior suite), there was no refrigerator, no bottled water, nothing. Room service was extra and we were hungry but by 3:00, the only restaurants I could find on this massive resort had stopped serving. I wasn't paying extra for food since all-inclusive means all-inclusive! The resort we stayed at in Cozumel offered 24-hour room service at no additional charge. Walking around the resort we couldn't find anything like the restaurants or the night clubs and when you asked a worker they seemed put off by you. I didn't get the warm family feel at this resort like we did at Cozumel Palace...everyone seemed to be bothered by your questions.

We did make it to the beach area which was dirty and the water wasn't very blue. All in all, I would not stay at this resort again, the food was mediocre, the service was horrible and I did notice they charged my card $105 more than what I originally booked it for so I'm investigating that as I type. The only plus was the alcohol was strong...a couple of drinks and you felt it! If you want to visit, I advise going over to Cozumel, the resorts are nicer and you feel like part of the family instead of a nuisance to the staff!

7 Thank Jenday88
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your valuable feedback about your recent stay at the Grand Riviera Princess.

We are deeply sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations; your feedback is very important for us, as it helps to improve our services and avoid such problems in the future. We are very concerned to read about the issues you experienced, so we have shared your comments with our Managers in order to follow up all those areas. Please be sure that we have taken this matter extremely seriously.

We are looking forward to the possibility of getting another chance and welcome you back to our Hotel to show you the quality in service we are capable of offering.

Best regards,
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

In September 2013 we travelled to this hotel to get married. There were 27 of us who all travelled for 2 weeks all inclusive with First Choice.

We had paid for the upgraded platinum suite room. The room was beautiful. It was large and clean. The bathroom was a good size and all marble. The bath had jacuzzi jets. The shower had good water pressure. The balcony had a jacuzzi spa bath and it over looked the beach/sea. The view was stunning. Only 3 couples in our group had paid for the upgraded platinum rooms however as the hotel was not busy the hotel upgraded our entire party! A lovely gesture from the hotel which was much appreciated. With the upgrade we had a private section of beach with a butler service to get us cocktails as we deserved. This was a good area of the beach. There are vendors on the beach which if you walk past can be annoying as they try to sell you things however it's not difficult to avoid walking past them. I had a massage on the beach using the hotel spa (not the independent vendors). It was lovely and reasonably priced.

Food - we enjoyed the options from the breakfast buffet. Plenty to choose from and catered for most people. We ate in pretty much all the restaurants - Italian, Swiss, American Steak house, Tapenakki and buffet. We loved all the restaurants. We had no complains at all and the good was good. The tapenakki is a must visit - very entertaining.

There are plenty of swimming pools and were plenty of sun loungers at the time we visited.

We also dealt with the wedding coordinator at the hotel (Gulllimero aka Memo - I'm sorry I have probably spelt his name wrong). Memo was great and made our wedding day go perfectly. Everything was arranged by email prior to travelling. We had our wedding meal in the American Steak House and this was perfect as well. I had my hair, make up and nails done at the spa on the wedding day. It was all flawless and I loved it. I would recommended this hotel for a wedding. We had no issues in the wedding planning and the wedding day was not stressful. My wedding bouquet was stunning and the wedding cake was so tasty both of which the hotel supplied.

We found all the staff at the hotel very friendly. The hotel grounds are immaculately clean. There was a damp smell in some of the lower floored rooms in the platinum hotel block which was unpleasant. Our room on the third floor was fine and did not smell at all.

There are a lot of Americans at the resort. Some of them can be a little abrupt and rude - this is just a small majority. An American couple stopped my wedding golf buggy and demanded we take them to the beach. He did not care that I was on my way to my wedding and wouldn't move out of the way to let us past. There was myself, my dad, 2 bridesmaids and a flower girl in the buggy so it was pretty obvious we were travelling to a wedding! Also we saw a group of American lads throwing their lit cigarettes onto the ground where we were standing nearby. They were loud and very drunk. It was a holiday weekend in America which was why the hotel had a lot of American guests at that time. I'm sure most American guests were fine but we had a couple of negative interactions.

We would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade to platinum
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Hayleyross9
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for such a extensive review, and thank you for choosing Princess Hotels as host of your recent visit to Mexico. I am glad to read our staff members did everything in their hands to provide a relaxing and pampered vacation.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our Resort and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I just got back from Grand Riviera Princess last night and decided to hit the main points on things I think people would want to know---I stayed in standard Jr Deluxe Suite room 8003 and 8005 (no upgrades) and I thought the rooms were lovely enough no need for upgrade as far as rooms go...The mini bar was stocked daily with 3 huge bottled waters and sodas and couple cans of beer even though it said they restock every other day. The things is Xcaret and Riu Palace even though they stocked couple waters in your mini bar you could go to any bar or restaurants and ask for water they will give you a bottle so plenty of waters to go around---here at this hotel they give you water in a glass at the buffets and they have the big water tanks around the building but my husband got Montezuma's Revenge at Xcaret last year so we try not to drink anything not bottled---So make good use of your 3 bottles a day, I had no problems as I just went to my moms room next door and took some of hers. Oh and I tried to tip the maids they did not take the $$ VERY NICE and honest hard working people---I did not have any theft problems I read people saying things go missing out the electronic safe so to solve that problem I brought zip ties and tied my luggage before I leave the room and zip tied my bag with cash and passports and important stuff in a bag put it in the safe to be safer than sorry but I always do that with every hotel I go to. Oh and right after you check in go to make your Al la carte reservations they are open til 11pm and basically you can make 1 reservation every night as long as there is availability which there seems to be at least couple things open every day as long as your not picky on time which I am not---just happy to get in---I heard there was a charge for the French but I was able to get in NO charge so I don't know :) I did not get bit but my husband did twice by the lagoon area so to solve this bring bug spray--I didn't feel like spraying myself since I had nice clothes on fresh out the shower so I just sprayed the seats and mist the air and I had NO PROBLEMS---The beach was nice! It was not smelly or murkey or dark and nasty like some people said--at least it wasn't while I was there---temp was around 85-86 degrees every day and it was nice and sandy and yes couple parts were rocky but not small little rocks I think people meant big boulder in the water in some spots where you can actually stand on the rock----my kids had swim shoes but I didn't and it did not bother me one bit---and beach water was warm with a nice beach bar and burger shack right on the beach---The burgers were actually really good and I hate burgers in Mexico it always taste like fatty donkey meat or under cooked but here the burgers were really good. The beach buffet had street tacos, burgers, nachos (also very good) and hot dogs and guacamole---ALL VERY GOOD! I am not a big drinker but the drinks were strong and NOT watered down at all! $1 tip here and there goes a long way these people work really hard. Oh and when I couldn't figure out how to confirm my shuttle back to airport since I couldn't find my Lomas representative---the concierge called and confirmed it for me instead of making me call from my room charging me long distance (VERY VERY NICE)...Oh and the breakfast was great--the omelette station was very good food but of course gets redundant any where you go all inclusive---important thing is no one got sick and the food was continually coming out fresh NOT sitting out all day like some people say. No problems with A/C, no problems with HOT water---Great cable channels even Riu Palace didn't have this good cable--HBO plus, Nick, Disney, TNT, CNN most all channels in English so great at night for kids---They had Aladdin Disney show, Horror show with Michael Jackson and Beetlejuice and stuff which was fun for the kids---There was an 18yr and up disco on the property and teen night one night also which is good for the older kids---They have Spa but I don't know if there was a charge or inclusive since I didn't go---they have a crocodile area you can look at it over the bridge going to the Chill Out Bar--There was a $13 per person charge for Chill Out so I didn't try it out but just went to look at the croc and turtles---The Hotel consist of two sister hotels the Sunset and Riviera that share a main center and mirrors each other (IDENTICAL) I am not 100% if there is a difference in rooms or anything on the Sunset side compared to the Riviera side but I overheard people saying the swim out pool was cold--I think it's because the sun may not beat down directly on the pools to warm it up on the Sunset side---I will say that the breeze was soooooo much nicer on the Riviera side---I think it was the layout maybe the wind is blocked by the trees and the building but I felt a significant difference----Oh and the gym was nice!!! Had a personal trainer (Idk how much) but they had Yoga/Pilates and Zumba classes everyday free which is nice----Ok and the trolley stops were NOT unpredictable like some people said! My building was by the main lobby and after a long but scenic walk to the room from the beach I was dying not wanting to walk back to the beach again--but after reading reviews about how unpredictable the trolley was I had little hope! I was wrong not only did I wait maybe 5min at the trolley stop but the guy gets out and changes the time on the clock to show when he will be back to this stop again (10min later is what he changed it to) not bad at all! Ok so the beach does have vendor huts set up all along the front of the main beach area which yes they shoulda put those further back so guest can have better view from the chairs but if you move left or right you will be fine---It did start raining one day around 2ish while we were on the beach so the hike back to the room was cold and difficult with a stroller! But the hotel is spread out like most hotel in that area so I expected that! 24hr sports bar was great on the rainy days and also a Game Room area on the Sunset side with games and airhockey tables and stuff for kids! I did not try room service so Idk charge, times or menu choices---Back to the beach honestly people really did save those seats super early but the seats started opening up again around 1-2pm and honestly I have kids so I can't be pushed far back in the back row while the kids play in the water so I just threw all my stuff on one chair and put a towel on the sand and I was ocean front on the sand with perfect view of the ocean and kids---warm water, calm waves, really great view. Now if you don't have kids then go to the left of the main area to the adult section and man that was a nice secluded strip of beach area away from vendors and crowd! Oh one more thing back to vendors there were a row of chairs right out past the huts with perfect view but those you have to pay for either $20 or $25 so I just sat on my towel on the sand. Lets see I think it's about 40min from airport and I think they do free shuttle to Playa Del Carmen area to shop but you have to reserve the day before--Not a bad deal---I did not get hassled by time share people--They called one morning with the whole gift certificate or free excursions thing if I want to meet in the morning---I just said I had surgery and want to rest--Never heard from them again! Beautiful hotel and very lovely vacation! I would come back!

Room Tip: I think it's better to be by the lobby if it rains so that way you can get to all the restaurant...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank Jennifer Z
Dear Jennifer,

We would like to thank you for invert your time in this review. Your constructive kind words are greatly appreciated as we are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you.

We hope that you will return again soon so we can extend our usual warm welcome.

Best regards,
Obed Canche
Dauphin, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were not impressed when we were not able to check In early. That was followed by discovering our room had only two twin beds rather than a king bed, but.....in the end what a great relaxing stay at this resort. I have a few employees of the resort I would love to point out, although i don't have all their names Ruth, Rosey, Margarite and Hector are some that truly made our stay very enjoyable. If you ever find yourself at this resort, be sure to look them up they will be sure to make you smile. There are so many positives about this hotel that they far outweigh the negatives we experienced. Great beach, great pools, swim up suites are very nice, staff is very friendly! Thanks to the sunset riviera staff and management for a great stay!!!

3 Thank Hbgamblers
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your great review with TripAdvisor’s travelers.
It is very pleasant to read that you had a wonderful stay and that you enjoyed our facilities and services.

We are delighted that you underlined aspects as the hard work of our staff; it is fantastic to know that you went back home satisfied.

Of course I will share your comments with Ruth, Rosy, Margarita and Hector they will be so glad to know that you recognized their efforts to make a great job.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.

Please feel free to contact us in case you need any further assistance. We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards,
Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was my second stay exactly 2 years later to the date. My original review still holds true. I did notice a few minor cutbacks but nothing to make or break a stay. They ran short on the silver towels at the laguna villa pool and stocked with the dark blue towels that you get at the other pools. The towels are smaller and the dark blue gets HOT. I was constantly trading my blue towel in for a silver one the second they got restocked. The glasses that they serve drinks in at the laguna pool are now the same cheesy plastic dixi cups that you get out at the beach. Our first visit, the laguna pool had nice reusable glasses. Our room was just as nice and clean other then both pairs of slippers had been worn previously. House keeping thought we wouldn't notice? Gross! This trip I really missed having a choice of outdoor seating for breakfast and lunch. Every other resort I have been too has offered outdoor seating. Still a great value and there is still something for everyone. I really like having the choice of an adult only area including pool and beach... People complain about the huts at the beach but all you have to do is walk north and its wonderful. You can sit right next to water and the bar service is excellent. However, It is adults only. Would I stay again? Twice is enough unless I found a screaming good deal. (which actually is pretty possible at the Princess) We did XPLOR. Loved IT! I book transfers through Lomas as well as excursions. They were awesome as always..

Room Tip: Villa Suites are open concept, NO privacy in bath or shower, and King bed only. In other words, cou...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank PilotsMom
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your great review with TripAdvisor’s travelers.
We really appreciate your comments and observations and it will be taken into consideration and can assure you that we will do our best to improve our service.

All the Princess Family members are waiting for your next visit to pamper you!

Our best wishes for you from Playa del Carmen,
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have been disappointed at other five-star all-inclusives, but everything here was awesome! Nowhere on the entire resort did we smell that so-familiar "sewage" smell, nowhere. I was so happy! Staff were friendly and earnestly worked hard to make the guests happy. Beautiful rooms, Good food, lots of activities, great location. (If they could improve one thing it would be to have at least one buffet open all day; no meals available from 10:30 am to noon and then from 3pm to 6pm (just snacks at the bar). We spoke with lots of guest there (+++ Canadians) and everybody was thrilled with the resort. A quick shout-out to the concierges who really know their jobs, and a huge THANK-YOU!! to Roman for going the extra mile! Oh, and the beach is absolutely fabulous, pure white sand all the way out.

Room Tip: Our rooms were great, and the staff did everything to accommodate small details. Right now they'...
2 Thank TripsforTeresa
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Playa Del Carmen! Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other Trip Advisor readers. I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have.
We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Kind Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,196 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,358 reviews
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,006 reviews

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!