Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Ocean Riviera Paradise(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Cocos Cabanas(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Viceroy Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
9,189 results
All reviewsa la carte restaurantssports barfondueplatinum suitemama miaplatinum areale fleurplatinum conciergechill out barla vaqueriaplatinum poolthe grilllas olaswater shoesprivate pooldays in advanceseafood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This resort is lovely, with amazing formal finishes, fantastic staff and a fabulous beach. My husband and I stayed here from April 26-May 3rd, 2014, We booked into the Grand Yucatan adults only section of this resort. Our room was very well appointed with great mini bar and lots of complementary items. We were considered "platinum" guests, meaning unlimited premium drinks, unlimited a la carte restaurants, preferred beach area and butler service and special seating in all buffet and snack bar areas, We also had a preferred lounge area with bar service that opened at 7am. For all these perks it is worth the $200 extra, also your check in is immediate, no waiting in a big line to get your room. We would come back to this resort. It is large and can be a bit overwhelming on the first day, the food in the buffets is nothing amazing, but the rest was lovely. Lots of nightly entertainment, shows, live music, dancing, kids club, disco, landscaped beautiful grounds, fabulous pools, fountains etc. Really happy with the experience.

Room Tip: there is construction on riviera side, so if staying in yucatan adults only section get a lower suite to avoid noise, (its not that noticeable anyways though)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear MelonGG,

We are glad to hear that you had a lovely stay at Grand Riviera Princess. It was a pleasure to be at your service.

We really appreciate you taking the time to write some valuable comments about your stay at our hotel. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and improve our services.

It will be great to welcome you back in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Ok - I will preface by saying that I am an avid traveler of the Caribbean, I have stayed at many 3&5 star hotels during my lifetime. I also know the value of these packages and you must know that you get what you pay for.

We booked this hotel for my sisters bachelorette weekend in Playa Del Carmen. When traveling in large groups, you have to find something suitable for everyone's budget.... and this is why I chose this hotel.

I knew going in, that it was a 3 star hotel and I shouldn't expect the same standards that I'm accustomed to... you should consider this thought before booking.

Getting there:
We flew nonstop from Miami International to Cancun on American... great flight and very short. We booked our shuttle on expedia and were taken all together to the hotel in 2 big vans. The ride is about 40 minutes but it felt very quick. I recommend "Best Day Tours" for the shuttle. IT was round trip for $46 per person...

The Hotel Grounds:
Are absolutely gorgeous. The resort is huge, there is tons of greenery that is kept immaculate. There are tons of workers constantly cleaning, mowing, and perfecting the hotel grounds which I found to be a great touch. There are plenty of pools with swim up bars, some quiet, some more party, and some that are by the swim up suites that are just for quiet time. There is quite a bit of walking from the lobby to the beach, but its totally doable. I'm not in the best shape and I did it just fine - but the hotel does offer a little trolly.

Checkin:
We got there early like 10am, so the rooms were not available until 3pm which was a bummer. but they hold your luggage in the lobby and u can open it up, get your swimsuit, change in the bathroom and hit the pool. You also get your wrist bands right away so you can enjoy the food/drinks.

Towels & Room Keys:
You get a towel card for the # of people in your room. You must turn that card back in at the end of your stay to avoid a charge... i thought this was ridiculous. Especially when the front desk forgot to give us the towel cards and we didn't realize it until we were alll the way by the pool and had to walk back and get it. SUCH A MISSION. There's also a charge if you lose the room key.. also ridiculous but what can you do?

The Rooms:
We got a swim up suite that was very nice. The bathrooms are modern with double sinks, huge tub, a beautiful glass shower and enclosed toilet (no bidet). The closet was very large and had plenty of hangers for clothes. The beds were 2 full beds - not queen. So it was uncomfortable to share (we were 3). That's another thing, the hotel only allows 3 adults per room, maximum which I thought was odd. Anyway, the sheets were rough, pillows were not great quality, the AC struggled to cool the room down & we had a lot of mosquitos in our room. Very annoying.

The Food & Drinks:
This was the worst part of it... the food (buffet) was substandard. Lots of Mexican choices which I enjoyed, burgers, fries, pasta, salads, fruits, meats/cheeses, breads... the usual. But nothing spectacular. If you have picky eaters in your group, you will find yourself eating the same thing every day. We didn't get to visit any of the specialty restaurants because we were such a large group, they couldn't accommodate us (hotel was sold out). The alcohol was TERRIBLE. We like to drink, and we are not 18 or 21... we are women in our 30's who know what alcohol should taste like and this hotel could not offer up 1 decent drink. We finally found a drink called an iceberg, which was basically a XX (dos equix) beer with a frozen margarita inside. It was yummy and refreshing.

The Beach:
was not very large, not many chairs available nor was there staff willing to help pull a chair for you to lay on. I thought that was odd. THere is also a bar for drinks, but you have to get them yourself. The water was crystal clear (mexico has the best beaches), and we enjoyed the beach very much.

The Wifi was available for $20/day and it was only available in the lobby... what a bummer. THere was also a machine to buy calling cards, but I was able to add a voice/data plan with AT&T and I had no problems communicating and checking my emails [for work].

All in all - for what we paid, this hotel was a good choice. You cant pay for a holiday inn and expect the Ritz so please keep that in mind. I did enjoy my stay there and would definitely recommend this hotel for ppl on a budget.

Room Tip: Get an upgraded suite - at least a swim-up! I also recommend only doing 2 people per room since the beds are too small
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank lilbee1125

Dear guest,

Thank you for share your opinion about your recent stay at Grand Riviera Princess.

We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience and if we were not able to meet your expectations.

I checked your comments and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Am currently her with my husband and it's our 3rd day.
I was told that the swim up bar on the riviera side was adults only, and that's not the case.
Then I was told only the pool in the platinum section was for adults, again not the case and it's kind of putting a damper on my stay. We came to get away from our kids only to be around somebody else's ??

I was told there was a breakfast and lunch buffet for platinum and yucatan guests, well everybody seems to use it and it makes for longer lineups.
None of these rules seem to be enforced at all and it's making my stay less enjoyable.

Rooms are very nice and the staff is so nice and polite.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sasha G
Sarman C, Gerente de Operaciones at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Sasha G,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinions on TripAdvisor about our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the drawbacks you experienced. Our responsible managers have been informed about your inconveniences.

I would like to explain that our platinum suites are a familiar area and only the Yucatan Platinum and Laguna Villas are for adults only. Please accept our apologies for this confusion.

We would be grateful if you could provide us with your email so that we can get in contact with you. Please send more details about your stay at: community.riviera@princess-hotels.com and I will be glad to follow up on your complaints.

Once again we would like to present our sincere apologies.
We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Sarman Costa
Operations Manager
Princess Hotels Mexico

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We just returned from a week stay at the Grand Riviera Princess.in a deluxe junior suite. I can't say enough good things about this resort, it is absolutely beautiful! We arrived by private transportation and check in was a breeze. I recommend going directly to make reservations for the a la carte dinning, you can book your first three nights and then will need to return daily to make reservations for the rest of your stay. We especially enjoyed Las Olas (seafood) Miso (best tempanaki show ever) and La Vaqueria (Brazilian steakhouse). The food was vastly superior to the main buffet.
The pools are fabulous - we never had difficulty locating chairs or a palapa. The party pool does get rowdy however there are plenty of other pools where you can enjoy some peace and quiet.
The beach is beautiful. Don't worry about the complaints about the shacks on the beach, simply walk to the left and you will locate the adult only beach. It was absolutely gorgeous and there were plenty of chairs and palapas. If you want to spoil yourself, splurge for one day and go to the Chill Out Beach Club. It was $13 USD for the day per person (included if you are platinum guest). The chairs have luxury padding, the drinks are served in fancy glasses and the service is more attentive.
We loved breakfast in the Sunset Snack - our favorites included custom omelets, chocolate croissants, fresh fruit and mimosas, who could ask for anything more? We ate lunch on the beach and the burgers and hotdogs were tasty. The Sunset snack had made to order soft tacos which were also delicious.
We were not impressed with the drinks until we learned you can request Bacardi or Jose Cuervo. The mojitos with Barcardi anejo and fresh mint were delicious.
A few tips to make your stay more enjoyable - bring a hat, you will want one and the gift shop was pricey. Bring a thermal cup or mug for your beverages. Not only will you get a larger serving, the drink will not melt immediately in the hot Mexican sun.
The staff was friendly and helpful. A few staff members went above and beyond to make our trip enjoyable. Raul in the Sunset snack was an absolute delight. Angel, the bartender in the beach bar on the adult beach is charming and makes the best mojitos ever!
Free Wi-Fi and an upgrade to the bar menu to include some decent wines are the only things that would have made our stay more enjoyable. I am sure we could have spent more money somewhere else, however this resort was a fantastic value and we would certainly go again.

Room Tip: 6151 was right in the middle of the resort which made it very convenient. Next time I would splurge for on of the swim out rooms, they looked fantastic!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Ccboltie

Dear Ccboltie,

We really appreciate your feedback and compliments.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are returning to the hotel in order to give you a better service.

Best regards,
community.riviera@princess-hotels.com

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We just returned from a 10 night stay at this hotel; we would suggest the Sunset side of the resort as there is construction on the Riviera side which can be annoying if your balcony is located on that side. There is a dress code for the a la carte restaurants which is not always adhered to which is not fair to the gentlemen who do adhere to it. Men are requested to wear long pants and closed shoes; men in shorts (not even dress shorts) were allowed into the restaurants.

We were very pleased with our bookings with Best Day Travel; in particular the Mayan Adventure snorkeling tour with Nacho.

André and Marie

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andre L

Dear Andre,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our Resort.

We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future at Playa del Carmen.

Kind Regards,