“Couldn't have been happier!!”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #81 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I was hesitant to book a trip to this hotel because I have seen some bad reviews in the past. However, I was extremely happy that I ignored the reviews!!! This hotel is absolutely beautiful!! You cannot get better if you are looking for a great place to relax, eat, drink...and especially if you are looking for a romantic getaway! My fiance and I stayed in a Laguna Villa Suite and I ***HIGHLY*** suggest that you spend the extra money for the suite- it is WELL worth it. The Suite is beautiful, not to mention that you have your own private check-in and your own exclusive Villa area with a pool and plenty of places to relax. In the exclusive area, you can relax in the pool and know that it will not get crowded, and you have your own private bar and concierge there as well. Trust me when I tell you that if you are looking for a great, relaxing getaway, book a Laguna Villa Suite and you will NOT be disappointed!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aliciamarie0307
Write a ReviewReviews (8,971)

Reviewed 2 August 2010

My wife and I along with a couple of other friends stayed at GRP in a swim up suite. We really enjoyed this vacation. We concerned after reading so many negative reviews, but we were very pleasantly surprised.
The service at this resort was very good. We were greeted upon arrival and always felt taken care of. After checking in, we went right over to make our reservations. I was really concerned about this, but it was a breeze. We were able to make reversations for our first four nights right away. We were able to eat between 6:00-6:30 every night. Miso (Japanese) and Vaquero (steak house) were our favorites. We also tried the French and italian which were just ok. The buffet is nice, but it does get to be a little repetitive. I'm extremely picky and never had a problem finding something to eat.
We loved the swim up suite. Our side seemed to be much more private. We never had a problem getting a chair, and their was a bar maybe 20 yards away. If fact, on one day, one of the bartenders would come down and check to see if we needed another drink. This typically wasn't a problem because we had our Bubba Kegs in hand (thanks to everyone for that advice). Our room was very clean, and we used our jacuzzi almost every night.
I run every morning, so I enjoyed runing on the grounds. I checked, and it was .6 miles from the lobby to the beach so there is a lot of walking involved. We enjoyed it and never used the shuttle. The grounds are immaculate. We tended to stay in our swim up area, but the one day we spent at one of the swim up bars was a lot of fun. We used our room safe and didn't have anything turn up missing.
The negatives we noticed were the beach. It is pretty rocky, and the water turns brown with an odor after it rains hard (run off from the wooded area). There were also a lot of mosquitos once it got dark (including a few in our room we took care of). We saw hotel staff spraying several times so I'm not sure what the hotel could do to remedy this. There is a lot of standing water wo that would explain the problem.
We took the tour through Edventure. I highly, highly, highly recommend this. We paid $122 per person which included our guide taking our pictures with an underwater camera. It sounds pricey, but for everything included, it would cost much more if you took different tours. We also took an ATV/Secret Cave tour which was fun (except for the van ride to their offices).
All in all, it was an excellent stay, and we would consider going back (although we like to try different resorts out).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pfanny37
Reviewed 2 August 2010

This resort has its good and its bad, but for me the bad outweighed the good and we asked for a transfer to another resort on the 3rd day.

The Beach
THE BEACH IS AWFUL!! You have rocks for the first 10 feet when entering the water, the water is brown and smells like manure. Staff told us it had do to with the mangroves (SWAMP) which surround the resort.

The Service
The service was non existant during my brief stay there, the hotel was over booked and could not provide basic service.

Rooms
My room smelled like the rest of the resort, the sheets felt damp all the time, and the room wasn't very clean. Oh and my view of the construction was just beautiful!!

Besides the resort looking nice, it is wayyy overated!!

Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed at the Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess during the last week of June. The resort is actually marketed as two resorts – the Riviera and the Sunset, though it is all one complex with separate lobbies. Both sides are identical in terms of appearance and amenities.

I’ve tried to keep this comprehensive and to the point, although I tend to write long reviews (so be warned). I hope it helps, and by all means feel free to email me with any questions.

The tour operator, flight and check-in:

Our tour operator was Sunquest. The flight down was to be expected – cramped and uncomfortable, although the meals were palatable and the staff were friendly and accommodating. The in-flight movies were horrendous though (Free Willy 3? Really?) but we arrived safely and were escorted to the resort without incident.

Check-in was actually terrible – we had a very early morning flight and arrived at the resort at 11am. We waited in line for 45 minutes, only to be advised that we could not check into our rooms until after 3pm. Having been awake for 24 hours and arriving to a torrential downpour and foul weather, our moods were less than cheerful and we were not overly impressed at that point. Once we checked in, we had to wait 3 hours for our luggage to be delivered to our room, which was probably the most irritating situation up to that point. We were desperate to shower, brush our teeth, and change, but we called the lobby 3 times and were told each time that it would be another 5 minutes. When we said we would be happy to come get the luggage ourselves, we were told we had to wait. Very annoying! Eventually it did manage to arrive intact and undisturbed.

The Rooms:

Upon check in, we inquired about an upgrade to the platinum suites (none were available when we booked our package with our travel agent). We were advised that none were available or expected to become available for several days, but the Junior Deluxe Swim-Up rooms were available on the Riviera side. We took that upgrade, and frankly we were extremely pleased with it. The room was beautiful (#31059), and although they didn’t have a king bed for us at that time, we had two doubles and it was fine. The walk-out from the room directly to the pool was really great, and because we were on the quiet side of the resort, it was really lovely and restful. It actually turned out to be a far superior upgrade to the platinum suites in terms of location and amenities. The platinum suites are on the far end of the resort on the beach, and are thus at 10 minute walk to the lobby and entertainment area, in addition to a large majority of the a la carte restaurants. There are also no swim-up rooms with the platinum suites, and after having access to one at this resort, I would recommend them over the upgrade any day. The only thing I would have enjoyed would have been the unlimited internet access, but being on vacation, I tried to force myself to live without its constant presence (a hard thing for me to do!). As a side note, I received the impression that the Platinum suites were not the safest place on the resort, as many people reported that they had valuables stolen and that safes had been raided while they were gone.

The room service was sporadic and unreliable. We had turn-down service on a few evenings, though inexplicably not on others. In addition, on one day our room wasn’t even cleaned at all, and we had to call housekeeping to bring us fresh towels. It was somewhat annoying, as tipping didn’t seem to make any difference. If you don’t want to be disturbed, make sure you put the “do not disturb” sign on the door, or the staff will just barge in after one quick knock (one time when I was only partly dressed…pretty awkward).

The Resort and the food:

In one word: gorgeous. It really was beautiful, well-kept, clean and modernized. The gardens were lovely, the pools (with the exception of the central “party” pool, which was questionable-looking at the best of times) and common-areas were all immaculate. The only major issue is the sheer size of the resort – it is monstrous, and certainly the biggest resort I have ever been to before. It’s a very long (and hot) walk from one end to the other, although there is a little transport train that runs approximately every 15 minutes. Most of the time it seemed longer, and we usually gave up and walked. Due to the extreme heat, I wouldn’t recommend it for people with low stamina or health problems that would make walking difficult, although the resort IS wheelchair accessible. If you get into some kind of trouble, I suspect you’re on your own for quite a while, with help not easily accessible (case in point: We observed a woman who was completely unconscious being piggy-backed by a friend back to the main resort, while another friend was walking behind the two trying to hoist the girl up. Honestly, it was a very long walk at that point, and if there was something critically wrong with her, she could have been in serious trouble by the time they got help. I don’t know, as I never saw them again). The moral of the story – get some decent travel/health insurance!

The resort is family-friendly, though not having children yet ourselves, we didn’t really appreciate this fact. Our fault for not buying a package at an adults-only, so I can’t complain about this, but keep this in mind if you are looking for a child-free zone for your holiday. Also, we happened to see a boy who couldn’t have been more than 14 (at MOST) stumbling out of the bar late one night with his laughing family supporting his body and presumably hauling him back to his room. We were horrified – there is no excuse for this, no matter where you are in the world. The resort should be much more vigilant in protecting children and monitoring whether they are consuming alcohol or not.

The food, overall, was very good for a resort. The buffets were the best we have experienced at a resort, although like any buffet, it did tend to get monotonous towards the end. The only problem I had was the lack of fresh vegetables or salad selection - but other than that, I found the rest of the food to be of a fairly high quality.
We tried several of the a la carte restaurants: the Mexican (mediocre), the Fondue (pretty good), the Tapas (very good), the Teppenyaki/Japanese (very good), and the International (EXCELLENT). You can only book two nights at a time, however, which again was somewhat annoying, especially considering every restaurant was only filled to at most, one third of its potential capacity. I’m assuming this had to do with staffing considerations – gourmet food (sometimes…or at least close to it) for no additional charge leads me to believe the resort was trying to contain the cost and were not willing to bring in additional servers. A lot of people grumped about not getting a reservation as a result of the restaurant being “full,” only to see that there was plenty of room for more people. Oh well...we booked and never had a problem.

Entertainment:

We attended one show and it was fine. (I find all resort entertainment to be the same-old, same-old). There was a disco that was a pretty happenin’ place. Aside from a peek, we didn’t spend any time in there though, and spent most of our evenings in the lobby bar (or the piano bar, which is lovely). We met the most amazing people at this resort, and had a really fabulous time getting to know them, so the “entertainment” to us had more to do with the people than the resort itself!

The “sports bar” was small and lacked seating. It was full of kids or parents with their kids and thus it was very noisy. The bar served some really tasty hamburgers though, which were great if you were looking for a late-night snack after a night at the bar!

Excursions:

We didn’t book the excursions to the ruins in Tulum or Chichen Itza as we initially wanted to as a result of our fear of the weather (we caught the tail end of a hurricane on the way in and had inclement weather throughout the stay, though we did have periods of sunshine at least!). We did book a last minute ATV excursion, which was really fun. I was somewhat disappointed with the “cave exploration” component of that excursion, as the pictures from other providers showed some really beautiful cenotes and caves that we didn’t get to see with our tour provider (we booked through Sunquest, though there are many other providers who work on the resort and provide the same excursions, and presumably they take you to different sites).

You must go into Playa Del Carmen. This town is extremely touristy but still worth the visit. A cab there will cost you $13.00 (USD) and takes about 15 minutes to get there from the resort. We walked around and picked up some tequila, and had two of the best margaritas we’ve ever had in one of the restaurants off the beaten track (beyond the most touristy area, though sadly I couldn’t tell you where as I have no idea myself). I recommend waiting to use the internet at a café in town - the internet at the resort is about $10 USD for 30 minutes, which is ridiculous. In town we paid 8 pesos for 30 minutes (About a dollar).

The Beach:

Beautiful, but rough. The sand was powder soft, and white. There were a few days where it was calm enough on the beach to tan and lay in peace, however on a few days there was such a strong wind that the sand would whip over you - painfully. We retreated to our pool on those days, but we’re beach people at heart and we were disappointed in the weather. The water was beautiful but very choppy – there were no water sports that I observed at any point. I’m not sure if the resort provides these or not, but they are hardly responsible for the weather and I certainly can’t fault them for it. I would imagine that post-raining season the beach is superb. During the good periods, there was never a lack of chairs (nor around the pool areas) and palapas were always available.

Miscellaneous:

The most obnoxious thing I found was the “Coco Bongo” sponsorship at the resort. Coco Bongo is a “world famous” club, though I can’t attest to that because we didn’t go. During our sunquest meeting, our tour guide conveniently pointed out that he always goes on a Tuesday, because it’s ladies night, and he would love to get a big group to come with him. We declined (we aren’t into the club scene), but this became a recurrent theme throughout our stay. At the main pool area, the entertainment were constantly harping about the club. There were Coco Bongo posters around the pool. At the show in the evening, they stopped halfway through to wave a Coco Bongo flag around the stage and encourage people to attend. When I approached one of the entertainment staff, I asked what the deal was. I was told that they get a commission for everyone they bring in to the club. Enough already! They warn you about the time-share providers that approach you, but Coco Bongo marketing was by far the most aggressive. Other people kept commenting on this as well, so I feel better knowing I wasn’t the only one annoyed by this ;). If you are still interested in going though, it’s about 5 dollars cheaper to go with one of the entertainment staff.

A huge issue at many resorts has to do with the mosquito population… I can happily report that mosquitoes are most certainly NOT a problem at this resort (although I got a few nasty bites from something that felt more like a horsefly bite than a mosquito). I didn’t have to wear bug spray at all. Definitely an enormous thumbs-up there!

That’s it really. It’s a great resort, but taking everything into consideration, it felt more like a really nice 4 star than a 5 star in many respects. If you really want to upgrade, I highly recommend the swim-up junior deluxe rooms, which are less expensive and a much better bang for your buck. There really was something for everyone at this resort – parties if you party, calm if you don’t, and lots to do, see…and eat! A truly great vacation. Have fun!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank sleepytraveller
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We just returned from a 2 week vacation at the Grand Riviera. It was a wonderful family vacation and we enjoyed every aspect of our stay! We had read the reviews before going and frankly cannot understand why people complained about their experience!

We booked our vacation through WestJet vacations and had no problems with the flights or with the transfers from the airport to the hotel.

Upon arrival we were greeted warmly with cool towels and lemonade. We were upgraded to the Junior Deluxe Suite which was extremely nice. We were on the second floor because we had children and the rooms with walk-out access to the pools are for adults only. Our room was very comfortable, with two double beds, a big bathroom with shower and jacuzzi, a TV and sitting area. We also loved the balcony that faced a quiet pool and the jungle! Beyond the jungle, however, there is some construction going on. It does get noisy, but not at night so it really wasn't that much trouble for us.

As soon as we got to the resort, we were amazed at the hard work of the staff and the friendliness. The whole resort is spotless: it seemed as though someone was cleaning everywhere you looked. It took more than an hour to bring us our suitcases, so pack your swimsuit in your carry-on bag if you want to hit the pool right away. A lot of people complained about the towel cards, but we found it super convenient.

Our room was a long walk from the beach - but that was okay because we were eating a lot more than normal and we could use the extra exercise! There is a shuttle bus that runs back and forth that we used from time to time but for the most part we enjoyed the walk.

We were surprised to see people complain about the food. Honestly, the buffets were amazing and filled with food for all tastes. The À La Carte restaurants were great! We really liked the Hacienda (Mexican), Las Olas (seafood), Tapas and the steak house. The Italian, Japanese, Fondue were okay but we didn't like the quite as much. It was not difficult to get reservations at all. Everywhere we ate the food was great - and the drinks were good too with the exception of the wine... we never had a good glass of wine in the two weeks we were there! We really advise people to tip at the restaurants and bars. These people are working very hard and really appreciate tips.

In terms of entertainment, my husband took advantage of the sports on the beach (soccer and volley ball). Annabel, who works with the teens, was really great. Every evening, there are two different shows. There is a lot of variety so there is something for everyone and we took advantage of several of them. On Thursdays there is a Market that comes to the hotel and we bought a few souvenirs from them - be sure to barter with them because their first price is never their final price!

The beach is great. There are lots of chairs, but people do reserve even though there are rules about it. Even without reserving, we always found seats in the shade, just not right by the water. There are rocks in the water - some people used water shoes which seemed helpful. A short walk north on the beach takes you to a lovely beach at the next resort with great snorkeling and swimming!

The grounds were immaculate. Once in a while, we saw iguanas which was fun. The sidewalks get VERY slippery. We were a party of four, and each of us slipped at least once on the marble. Be careful after rain!

The pools are great. We honestly preferred the calmer ones, so we never visited the main pool (ie the party pool) where all the music and activities take place.

We booked two excursions, one to Xel Ha/ Tulum and one to the Isla Mujeres. We absolutely loved both. We did our booking through the booth at the beach with Luis. We had no problems.

Before going to Mexico we were nervous about both the negative reviews we read and the weather forecasts. Both of these were not our reality! On a couple occasions it rained for about an hour and cleared up quickly! The rain never lasted all day or even the majority of a day! In terms of the reviews... we cannot understand how these comments were made. We had no problem with theft, our room was always clean, our fridge always had lots of water, our waiters were always hospitable...

We absolutely have nothing bad to say about our vacation. We would definitely return and recommend the Grand Riviera Princess.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank jess_lau
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I think everyone writing the bad comments need to learn how to relax!!! It's vacation!!! We were a group of 14 people who went together the week of July 12th and all in all was a wonderful vacation!! Not my first time in Mexico, and definately the best resort I've seen. If your not happy with this resort then don't be cheap and go pay more for some of the other resorts in the area.... We got a great deal for our 7 day stay, and considering what we paid was well worth it!

The rooms are beautiful and very modern, comfortable beds and always clean. We left tip every day and only asked once for extra towels and had 8 large towels every day in our room after that! Fridge was always restocked, never had to ask for anything! The swim up room was very nice, great little added bonus to have.

The food... We ate at the buffet almost every night and never complained. There is so much choice and you will always find something you like! The first night we got there, they were cooking lobster tails and steaks on the grill... how can you really complain when you get that at a buffet?!!! We only went to the Japanese resturant which was ok... for a group of 14 it was difficult to book the restaurants, so we opted for the buffet. At lunch the bbq with hamburgers and hot dogs was really nice if you didn't want to dry up and go to a buffet.

Staff.... Best animation team I've ever seen! We mostly stayed at the party pool and had a great time! The girl animators were kinda boring but the guys were so friendly and entertaining. Oscar and Leo deserve a raise if management reads this!! They made our week!!!! They are always in a great mood!! The shows were fun too! All the employees were very friendly, always saying hi. It does help if you speak spanish a little.. if anyone here says the staff were unfriendly and rude maybe you should try smiling and answering hello. The staff are not the rude ones!

Ok now onto the bad....

Beach... water was not nice! A little disappointing, but I prefer the pool anyways. If your looking for a beautiful beach and are complaining.... stop yapping and just go to cuba!

Chairs... Not enough chairs when the resort is full. And barely any in the shade. So I suggest you bring a hat and lots of sunscreen!

Overall... great place, I would go back! And please please please do not get scared by all the bad reviews! Is it as good as some of the 5 stars where you pay 2-3000$ for?! ofcourse not! but cost to quality this place is well worth it!!!

3  Thank Sabby_a
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed in a Junior Swim-up Suite. It was beautifully comfortable. The resort was clean and spacious with many options for relaxation-pools-bars. The staff was especially accommodating and gracious. One note- make your reservations for the restaurants/excursions the minute you arrive- At 99% capacity the reservations filled up quickly. Depending on your level - platinum, etc. a couple of restaurants were not included. We found the walks to our destinations at the hotel no big deal. Find a new route everyday and take in the sites! If you cant take the shuttle to town- a cab is $14 US - always available at hotel and from town - all hours. The food at the buffet was good- breakfast best. THere is something for everyone- we loved the cookouts by the pool during the lunch hours (HB & hotdogs) We had a Great time and would visit again. Enjoy

1  Thank naru97