“Loved it all”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #77 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 November 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the resort while our husbands were in Florida golfing. I think that we got the better deal by far.
We loved the resort. We met wonderful people from different areas of the world and had some great times with them all, especially the people we met from New Brunswick. Can`t beat those maritimers.
We found the staff very pleasant and easy to get along with. Never had the feeling that they were looking for a hand out.
I have to especially thank Ricardo the life guard. I was stung by a stingray and he made sure that I was looked after. The doctor at the resort was wonderful, very soothing and helpful. I ended up going to the hospital and did not know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised by how caring and kind they were.The taxi driver that took me to the hospital waited for us and even went into the drugstore with me to make sure everything was o.k.
The food was excellent. We found that it was fresh everyday. I did not have to go up to the swim up bar for a drink as there was always a server asking us if we needed anything.
We were with Sunwing tours and they were always there to help anyway they could.
All in all we were very impressed and would return again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lardoise

Reviewed 17 November 2011

General: Hotel is huge with about 1400 rooms in two mirror hotels (Riviera & Sunset) very cosmopolitan with Small numbers of most European countries, Russians etc some US and a lot of Canadians.
Good points: Rooms exceeded expectations, air con was very good and ceiling fan was enough at night. Swimming pools very clean, always can find a quiet area, not deep 4'6" deepest, animation staff very active with games at the pool, evening entertainment (repeats every 7 days), Block 6 overlooks main pool bar so can be noisy up to about 8pm, food was excellent for the majority of the stay. A La Carte restaurants make a nice change from the buffet main restaurants but the choice in main restaurants was superb. 2 or 3 of the A La Cartes are ONLY available if you book Junior Deluxe Suites. Beach food was good but a bit limited although always hot and enough for beach days. Reception area bars nice and breezy and quiet. All water used to make ice, for drinking in restaurants and for washing salads is from the hotels own purifier and was fine to drink even for 3 YO child. DO NOT DRINK water from taps in rooms, hotel provides bottled water in room fridge unit. There are ice machines at various points along corridors but only on 1st floor level. Swim up rooms are very nice but picture doors cannot be locked from outside so use is a bit limited. All rooms have electronic safe free of charge. Towel exchange is very good and there are plenty of toilets around the pools.

Not so Good: Room maids were sometimes indifferent and we had one day with only one towel as she forgot to replace the ones she took away, drain smells in room so had to leave extractor fan running 24/7 and cover floor drains with towels. Toilet seat very loose and not repaired despite two client requests and one from tour rep. This seems just this room as other room in party was excellent in all respects. Shape of hotel means that sunbathing in November is only possible from 7am to 4pm as pools are then in shade with only a few small exceptions. Riviera pool facing rooms are still in Sun as are Sunset jungle facing rooms. Days are often cloudy from about mid day, temperature still in early 30's C. Few light rain showers to be expected.
The catamarans are included in your deal but you can only use for one hour a day with previous sailing experience OR a 40 USD lesson!
Beer is fine but cocktails are made from Slush Puppy machines or ice crusher and alcohol added from a drinks gun, along with coke, sprite etc. this means the strength of drinks is very variable depending on the bar tender and/or the tips you give!
There are two kids clubs, the one in Riviera was not in use and seemed unsafe with wood rot and missing parts to the climbing frames etc. The pool was cleaned daily but I would have liked to see the area closed off. The kids club on Sunset side seemed OK.
TIPS: Take some Pesos and a lot of US Dollars (in 1 dollar bills) The waiters expect tips for everything including service at the bar. The hotel, it's shops and bars make changing large bills very difficult so you end up either not tipping or giving 100 Pesos (5 GBP) for a drink at the bar.
There is an exit tax of 750 Pesos per person (anyone occupying a seat on the aircraft) about 58 US$ of 40 GBP £. payable at the airport, have the right amount ready and check in at Cancun is quicker.
For the less able there are only two lifts as far down as block 6 (reception & block 6) [don't know about Platinum block] so access to upper floors is less easy. Once on your level though corridors are generally wide and flat although with lots of corners. The walk from main receptions to beach area is about 15mins.
Overall a wonderful holiday and the Mayan people are lovely.

Room Tip: Block 6 is about 1/2 way from reception to beach so good for restaurants, pools or beach. Blocks 7...
Reviewed 17 November 2011

went on a Thompson pacakage holiday to this hotel back July11.. was so exited as this was a dream holiday for me and my partner that we had saved for. In pictures hotel looks amazing but hotel was very grubby, dirty, smelly etc... the staff working at hotel were all extremly rude, scabby and generally not pleasent people to be around... I ordered a burger & fries at the sports bar (the only place you could get food all day round) they screamed my name when the food was ready so i walked to counter to find the member of staff eating the fries from my plate as he handed it over to me.... Never seen this at a "5*" resort before. You had to book to eat at the restraunts at least 3 days in advance and then couldnt pick the times we wanted to eat at so was given times such as 10:00pm to eat our evening meal which is far to late for me to eat at night.. explained this to staff but they wouldnt do anything about it...On times we couldnt even eat at the restraunts as there was no avalability left... The buffett restraunt was dangeroulsy poor.... No choice, and food was always freezing cold in temperature and not cooked correctly & very poor quality... Part of the holiday for myself is having nice meals etc but there was none of this at this terrible hotel... We only ate at the hotel, as there was nothing else around that we could walk too. My parter Arron was really ill with food posiing for a whole week... complained and wrote a complaint in their complaint book but when we asked to see it in the book at a later date the complaint was no longer there so had been ripped out... After complaining 0n 3 occasions with how ill my boyfriend was i told the staff that i think it could be because the food is not cooked as the foood was always freezing in temperature i was then told that they have had this complaint before so they have scattered microwaves around the buffett for people to re-heat their food in... This again is very dangerous as you are not supposed to re-heat food including rice etc... again i thought this was a very rude thing to tell a customer.... could never get a sun lounger at pool or beach as it was always rammed there.... Asked for A1 Steak sauce at the buffet 6 times and still never ever seen the A1 steak sauce.... This was a complete disaster of a holiday that we spent a lot of money on... Im really gutted! i would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone!" Please dont stay here!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Emmadean2640
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Just got back from early November 2011 trip. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. While hotel and looks nice at a glance, upon a closer inspection the finishing or polishing touches are missing (i.e. molding around tiles and walls not finished, paint chips here and there, the in room jacuzzi wasn’t extremely clean). Don’t get me wrong, this place is NOT run down by any means, just not the “WOW” my family and I were hoping for.

Rooms- Deluxe Jr. Suite- Nice enough, bed was very stiff (great for me, but my wife didn’t like it), pillows stiff as well, mini fridge, AC plus a ceiling fan, jacuzzi didn’t look super clean, so we didn’t even try it. Our balcony had to chairs and a table, but the chair cushions had a few stains. I did find and kill one cockroach in the shower area. B-/C+

Food- Buffets were great, food was excellent, and great selections for every appetite. We didn’t read the fine print and didn’t bring long pants to try the other restaurants. Plus I wasn’t a fan of having to make reservations for dinner at the restaurants (some many days in advance, one of which was completely booked for our entire trip, so we couldn’t have tried it if we wanted to). B+

Pools- Clean and room aplenty to enjoy, although not being heated they got a bit chilly. B+

Beach- Nice enough. Plenty of room to spread out and relax. The beach food they had was ok for beach food (i.e. chips and salsa, hot dogs, hamburgers). We preferred the “Adults Only” part of the beach. Although some women went topless, 90 % still kept their tops on. It was a quieter and more laid back atmosphere to relax and unwind. B+

Grounds- I think the ground were really well maintained, and probably the most maintained part of the hotel! A++ to the ground keepers!

Staff- My family and I found the staff to be very polite, attentive, and respectful. A+

Other- While the hotel does offer a shuttle to Playa Del Carmen, it is limited to ONLY 40 people a day! You have to sign up at 8am the day before you wish to go, so with limited space it fills up fast. They do offer taxi service into town, but at $19USD EACH way it was not my ideal free transportation to Playa Del Carmen. I was also not able to find FREE internet access in the hotel. The Sports bar had internet and computers, but $10USD for 30 minutes of use wasn’t a bargain. The drinks we ok, but seemed a little weak unless you were able to build up a good rapport with a particular server. Seemed as though most were served with well or well level substitutes. Well whiskey instead of Jack Daniels. My father ordered a gin and tonic, but was charged $5 USD for Tanqueray. So the ALL INCLUSIVE wasn’t really ALL INCLUSIVE. D+

Conclusion- I probably wouldn’t go back, and maybe try a different ALL INCLUSIVE resort. I also found that everyone wanting/expecting a TIP to be a little distracting from allowing me to fully relax. For that reason I might choose to go back to a place like Hawaii. If you want a decent place to stay, don’t wish to leave the resort, and enjoy some of the perks of ALL INCLUSIVE…it’s worth checking out, but I am sure there is something better! C+/B-

2  Thank Relaxed83
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I was amazed at how nice the grounds are. From the moment we walked in the quality was apparent. marble all over the place in a romantic open air check in which was really high end. The rest of the property was really well manicured and arranged. I was nervous about the size of the property and having to walk a lot but the internal transportation made that a non issue. Plenty of pools on site that made it easy to find the one suiting my kind of atmosphere. We stayed in the platinum suites and i feel these are the best rooms in the entire hotel. They seemed to be the only offering an ocean view and were closest to the beach. A case could be made for the laguna villa suites for a honeymoon. Overall I felt the food was better than average but I mostly based my opinion on the buffet and room service and didn't experience the all restaurants. I would recommend making several reservations once you get there to make sure you get the best food possible. For the money the best trip I have ever had

Room Tip: platinum as high as you can get in the 4208,4209, 4210 section if possible
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Darbley07
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We just returned 2 days ago, and felt this property was one of the most beautiful we've stayed at in Mexico. Admittedly we were a little nervous prior to leaving after reading some reviews. We were delightfully surprised. Some reviews mentioned lack of enough lounge chairs. I saw lots of empty chairs around the pools everyday. We usually got to the beach about 9am and had to search for chairs, but always found some. In Nov. the hotel was not full. I could see where they may be in short supply in the peak months, but one can always lay a towel on the sand. Others mentioned the sales stands on the beach. We did not especially like them either as they do block a lot of the view but the stands are only in the middle of the beachfront. There were plenty of options for unobstructed view to each side. When viewing my photo of these stands, note that the chairs in front (closer to water) are rental chairs, not resort chairs). Water was beautiful; Beach was rocky in places, but there is a good sized swimming area that is good.

We had a 3rd floor deluxe suite with jacuzzi in the room and loved it. Everything was clean, bed was comfortable, not too musty. Our building was in about the center of the property which was nice--about halfway to the beach and halfway to the lobby. We were very happy with the buffet restaurants. Food was good, plentiful, and fresh. Our food was great at the fondue restaurant and the grill (steakhouse). The others were average. Service in all parts of the resort was fantastic. We had no problem as far as illness from food or water. All water at the hotel was purified, which was nice..The property was immaculate. We loved the "town square" atmosphere at night and enjoyed the bands and two shows each night were well done. Overall we had a great experience on the entire trip from flights to transfers to resort and food. We would return without any hesitation.

Room Tip: We had no problem with our room. I am allergic to molds and frequently have to move. Hotel staff mad...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Arrived Nov 5 nice weather a little cloudy ,check in was easy bags where sent to room no problem.I would suggest you book your restaurants right away they book up very quick,we really enjoyed the Japanese restaurant the best.There are lots of activities for teens games etc and at night they have 2 shows from 8 till 10:30.I did not like that they now charge for internet $20 a day other resorts have it for free,they need to change this.After 7 days the food in the main buffet dinning room does seem like the same thing day after day that's why they have the other restaurants u have to dress up for. All in all nice place bring lots of 1 dollar bills to tip, there is a language barrier but they do there best and i would suggest booking your excretions through Sunwing on the sunset side they are helpful especially Chris and if u book with they u get the use of there 2 internet terminals .Also i would suggest bring your own pillow theres are very hard if u have neck problems.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#102 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!